Twilio

www.twilio.com

Twilio Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Jeff Lawson

Best career decision I ever made

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMany companies talk about caring about employees and customers but the actions tell a different story - this company really means it and acts on it right from the top.

Great caring people with great attitude and amazing skill set.

Culture and how you treat people really matters here. This is the most welcome I have felt at any company I have worked at.

ConsNone that I have come across so far. Not everything is perfect of course but nothing that isn't normal for fast growing companies and the will to learn and improve is there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going. Preserve the culture even as the company grows.

Great place to work... company vision is something you can really buy into

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNormal San Francisco Startup feeling. People are great and work life is decent (not a 9-5 shop, but not a 15 hour day shop either). Benefits are pretty standard for SF.

ConsNo real cons - the reporting structure is pretty flat, and most everyone is pretty approachable. It is a pretty development centric company, so depending on what you do, could be seen as either.

Be Wary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay, if you are a favorite of upper management.

As a more experienced team member in my role, I had plenty of room to craft a vision for my team and make an impact.

ConsCulture:
    This company is turning over talent like hotcakes on a griddle.

Remaining team members from the establishing 50 Twilions some how remain incompetent on a lot if their day to day roles. They cannot deal with structure, processes, or professionalism and tend to over delegate to their teams' respective newer, sometimes clueless hires. Very dangerous, set-in-their ways mentality. Very green middle management, still in their first roles out of college and not on a clear path to success.

Technology:

Infrastructure issues cause many problems that should have been addressed or avoided at this stage of the company.

Internal tools are downplayed, broken, or built incorrectly and efficiency is non-existent.

Management:

Hr + Recruiting-
    Let's start with the coup that's formed across HR and recruiting. Nepotism at it's finest, this team also reaps the benefits come compensation time. The exec of this time is quite possibly one of the most inappropriate individuals I've ever met.

Marketing -
    C level is incredibly knowledgable but wastes her day to day babysitting her team down to re-writing every piece of work that they produce.

Design & engineering-
    Engineering has some of the best and brightest I have ever met. Design team has some dead weight and an incapable leader who spends a lot of time stirring the pots in other departments rather than guiding his team to deliver, which, let's be honest, rarely happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, this product is fantastic and has so much potential. Why are you holding on to so much dead weight throughout the company? You are so focused on growth that new hire classes are swollen with people who stay for under a year, yet you won't let go people who have been there for years and are terrible contributors. Does your allegiance lie with the future of Twilio or hand holding a select group of individuals that will continue to undermine the success of the company?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My best job so far

ProsI enjoy working at Twilio because I know we're providing a high quality service to developers. As a developer myself, it makes me feel good that I can stand behind our API and recommend it to anyone. I've also enjoyed the people at Twilio - folks have been very friendly.

ConsIt's a typical startup environment, so the goalposts seem to move pretty frequently. Many policies and procedures are tried - some take, some do not. But I am given a lot of freedom to exercise my judgment and do my job how I see fit, so this affects me less than it might if I had less personal responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider refactoring the org to hire outside the valley and support remote work. It's hard to compete for talent in SF, even with the large number of talented people that live and work there.

A once great company going super nova

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe smartest, hardest working people I’ve ever been associated with. Very good perks. For the first few months the most fun I've ever had at any company, then it went south.

ConsLots here:

- Because of the focus on shipping product there is huge technical debt and a very shaky code foundation that has resulted in costly customer impacting outages. There is a lot of lip service about fixing the problems but it is trivialized over shipping new features. This is very serious and begs the question about the long-term company viability.

- Developer burnout trying to keep the system up and ship product. Developers are expected to work all night on production problems and do their day jobs. There is a real lack of quality in the product.

- Management shenanigans have eroded their once prized culture with some very key people either being forced out or quitting out of frustration with direction or lack of career advancement.

- Cronyism in new hires. The hiring system was set up to keep this from happening but with new management they are bring in their friends.

- Management manages by Twitter, short term thinking and micro management rather than setting direction.

- An undercurrent of distrust between internal Engineering teams and between Engineering and the other teams in the company that is again leading to erosion in the culture and setting up favoritism.

- Senior managers believing in their and the companies built up propaganda, the feeling of invincibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give advice but senior management is the problem and it would fall on deaf ears. They will weave whatever story they need to put themselves in a positive light.

Lack of leadership resulting in a lot of churn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSuper great product; lots of smart and fun people to work with; excellent benefits and perks.

ConsWork comes in sideways all the time, disrupting many plans. Features seem to be more important than quality. There is a weird aura of dislike between different teams, with teams badmouthing each other, creating an uncomfortable and hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better leadership and foster growth within the company. Pay close attention to what makes people happy -- it's not just about the benefits and perks.

Twilio is a great place to work, good people who care about the power of communications

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTwilio has a great company culture and is growing fast. It's an exciting time to be there, and a fun place to work. The nine core values shape the environment. It's a lesser known startup with a lot of big customers, and it's cool to watch our customers succeed with our product.

ConsFast growth can come with a lot of awkward growth.

Taste the Kool-Aid before diving in!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros* 2 of the most tech-savvy, on-the-ball, market-aware and inspiring Senior Engineering Management I have ever worked with in my career
    * 2 of the most jaw-dropping, outstanding-in-all-areas and straight-shooting Software Engineers I have ever worked with in my career
    * Incredible learning and social networking opportunities for interns and new grads
    * Networking and learning opportunities available through invited Tech Industry speakers

Cons* Rare instances of extremely inexperienced Tech Leads moving into Line Management. Character insecurities translate into Passing-the-Buck for issues; while Taking the Credit for successful design and code from others
    * On-Call Production Support Duty for some of the Legacy Code stack has become a 'four-letter-word' for those who are married and/or have children
    * Drive to ship fast and frequently works best with experienced Tech Leads. Otherwise, major technical debt and production support risk is/has been incurred
    * Test Environment and Product Deployment processes and tools need cross-team accountability for any serious progress in reliability and usability.

Advice to Senior Management* Vet your potential Leaders for character consistency. Adaptability applies for technical areas, but not for character. Nobody wants to work for an (A__Hole).
    * On Company Values: Watch the Guardians, Owls of Ga'Hoole.
    Consider its message for your employees, and their families.

Internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompany culture and people here are great and really make the company. Fantastic place to work. Really enjoyed my experience.

Consnone that I can think of.

Love the people, culture and mission.

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI feel that Twilio's mission "Change communications forever" isn't just a catchphrase but something the company lives and breathes in everything it does.

ConsNo cons at all. Yep.

Worked for Twilio? Contribute to the Community!