Twilio Reviews

Reset
4.6
Jeff Lawson

1. Featured Review

Collection of bright people experiencing some growing pains

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Twilio has an incredibly driven environment. There's a mentality running through the office of genuinely wanting to change the world with these products. It's cool, motivating, and in turn, one can find themselves surrounded by very intelligent people working very hard and fast.

There's also a real sense of purpose and ability to grow. The values feel pretty legit, in that humility is a characteristic you'll regularly see in team members and "drawing the owl" is genuinely encouraged.

As mentioned in other reviews, this place feels like coming home to family.

Cons

Rapid growth has created some growing pains. In an effort to fill senior leadership roles quickly, the culture has taken a bit of a hit. There seems to be a large focus on land-grabbing, which is new and not subtle. The HR team is disorganized, communication is often lacking between departments, and titles have become a political power.

Advice to Management

Twilio is a rocket ship. Don't let these minor cons bring down the inherent enthusiasm of Twilio.

Amazing, unique culture/products w/ typical startup growing pains

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

-Amazing industry leading products
    -Brilliant, highly engaged employees and a great leadership team
    -A focus on diversity and "be yourself" culture like I've never seen at a tech company
    -Social connection is huge here, lots of close relationships and easy to make friends

Cons

Twilio is in hyper growth mode and hiring a lot of people and with this comes a few growing pains
    -Still building out systems and process to catch up to the growth of the company and complexity of problems we are solving. We're getting their though.
    -HR programs around Feedback & Recognition, Learning & Development, etc are not there yet but coming soon we are told. We just hit the size at where we need to start doing this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's difficult to build infrastructure at the same pace as the skyrocketing growth of this company and we see that we're on our way.

Great place for people who want to get things done

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Employees are dedicated, talented people. Very high caliber team. If you are driven and want to grow the company and your own skills, you have ample opportunity to do so here.

Cons

Because Twilio ships products and features frequently, it's easy to lose sight of the big picture if you aren't organized enough to manage your time very efficiently.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the transparency. The trust you put in our teams is motivating.

5. People come first

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Dynamic company in a wide open field
     - Strong leadership and vision for the future
     - Commitment to ethical growth
     - Fun! Really does feel like a family. You want to do a good job because you like the people you're working with and are motivated by that bond.
     - Collaboration and learning are strongly valued

Cons

No real cons. Typical growing pains concerns can crop up, although not felt as strongly as at other fast-growth startups. You can tell adults run the business.

Advice to Management

Keep growing with integrity! You're doing a great job.

Awesome Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company, and I am thrilled to be here. The culture has grown organically and they built the values around those. This means people live the values by nature rather than having to form to those principles. There is a great energy here, and people are genuinely nice to each other. I feel like we are on to something big....

Cons

So far, I have not found any real negatives to this place. We are growing fast and sometimes that comes with some pains, but nothing I have not seen at any other start-up.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example.

Best job I ever had.

I worked at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Twilio. The culture is fantastic, the company seems to try its darndest to uphold their 9 values (and a new set of Leadership values!) and they really try to take care of their employees.

Every Monday, Jeff Lawson (CEO) holds an all-hands meeting where he discusses things that the company is doing well and could be doing better. He is always excited, and he sticks around to watch other people present to the company. There is a fantastic onboarding process, including making all new-hires stand in front of the company and play The Name Game, where you basically here the 250+ SF employees learn your name by shouting it at you. It's pretty thrilling, and makes you feel welcome.

As the title of my review suggests, this was the best job I've ever had. Twilio is constantly, constantly shipping - so there's always something exciting going on. Every employee has to build an app, even if you have no prior experience coding. Once you get that app built (people will help you) you get a Twilio track jacket and some other great stuff. It's so empowering.

The benefits are great - I was on a distributed team so I had the opportunity to work from home if I wanted to -- I always wanted to come into the office. I had a couple of great managers, and the best team I could have asked for in the role.

Anecdotally, I was laid off from Twilio. And despite the fact that I can no longer say "I work at Twilio!" which I used to proclaim with pride... I now get to say, "I worked at Twilio!" which still feels good. And of course all of my clothes (and shoes!) are Twilio branded, so I can still pretend if I want.

PS: Do you have a Twilio shirt? They're so soft.

Cons

The growing pains of a burgeoning successful startup apply. As Twilio prepares for an IPO, they have to look more attractive to investors and are making the changes to accommodate the growth. Lots of new people, lots of new processes, and this might not be for some people.

When you hold yourself and your employees to such a high bar, there is a good chance that some fingers are going to slip from that bar. This is bad especially when those are managerial finge... alright, I'm skipping the bar analogy. It's so important that these values are regularly revisited at all levels.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out for those 9 values. As the company grows and more people are added - you do not want those to be diluted. I wish I were able to stick around and see the progress made with those Leadership values.

Twilio Response

Jun 10, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for leaving this review! Just so you know, we shared this with Jeff, who said this is one of the best GD reviews he's ever seen. Also, you'll be happy to know that in this time of ... More

8. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio

Pros

People, culture of openness and the opportunity to solve real problems.

Cons

Flexibility in moving across teams.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

9. Working at Twilio means working with smart people to solve interesting problems for smart customers and developers

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hiring has kept up with Twilio's hypergrowth, talent has continued to increase.
    Openness and constant reassertion of the mission on a weekly basis, engagement with CEO Jeff Lawson and cross-team updates.
    Still small enough to offer individuals agility and autonomy in problem solving "Draw the Owl".

Cons

Hyper-growth and rapid change has some disadvantages.
    Working to identify company's post-start up identity and priorities.

Fair and honest environment - great community!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first interview and each day when I walk in I have been welcomed into a great community of kind hearted respectful, fun loving people. It is a community that enjoys the work and growth of what they are creating and supporting professionally and personally. It sounds goofy but it really is a pleasure to work at Twilio and people try hard to make it all work... through the good, bad and ugly. I appreciate that everyone respects each other and no one person's job is more important than the other person's job within the organization...

Cons

Every fast growing family, I mean company has its dysfunctional features and Twilio is always willing to acknowledge their dysfunctions and work through their issues. I am confident if I speak up regarding an issue...and come prepared with a reasonable solution to that issue...it will be heard and hopefully put into action.

Advice to Management

Great access to upper management - the leadership is on an even playing field and very accessible...if they are not available it is because they are busy doing their job to take us to the next level...

The nine values

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is determined to hold to it's nine value as it grows, and this makes it a fantastic, honest and open place to work.
    I've never been part of such a large team that is so passionate, committed and truly believe in what they are doing.
    The work life balance is fantastic, with unlimited PTO and a "family-first" attitude, burn out is tackled by being offered time to rest and relax.
    The perks are amazing, travel and expenses are all covered.
    The opportunity for personal development (at least for me) has been great.

Cons

I fear that the company will lose the ability to scale it's communal, family feel as it grows, but the C-level team is working extremely hard to tackle this problem before it becomes one.

RSS Feed </> Embed