Twilio Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

4.2

Jeff Lawson

Timewasters

I have been working at Twilio

Pros

None - None - None- None - None

Cons

Was contacted by HR about a position they thought I would be a good fit for. HR conversation covered everything that was viewable on my resume - nothing new added. Two weeks later I get an e-mail saying they are pursuing other candidates.

Make sure HR and Hiring manager are aligned on needs, saves wasting people's time and potential for negative review

The 9 Values are For Real!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love it here. People care; about the product, about each other, about the customer.

The talent at every corner of this company is staggering. And everyone I have dealt with is willing to help and teach and make things work.

Cons

A little process, but not too much, would be a great help as we grow.

Keep doing what you do. Keep empowering employees and customers. Keep "doing".

The Grass Is Not Always Greener. Or in this case, red.

I worked at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Twilio is, and will be for some time, a leader in their space. The technology and the talent at Twilio is driving telecommunication to do things it is very uncomfortable doing. That being said, this a what a disruptive company looks like. They are taking a legacy industry and flip it in on its head. The Engineering talent at Twilio is unmatched and the collective brilliance is what has taken this company as far as it has gotten to this point.

Working at Twilio is much like going home to family. You see a lot of smiling faces and hugs all around.

Cons

This is where "family" takes a whole new meaning. Much like a large family you have cliques, favorites, and perhaps some people get a bigger allowance because of the favoritism.

The tension between teams is pretty ridiculous for a company this size and I believe there is zero empathy for what each team is going through. While each team is burdened in their own way, there is very little being done to curb or improve the camaraderie.

There still exists a small group of people who have been with the company for a long time that have major influence over hiring/firing and other seemingly meaningless business decisions that impact the morale of the company. Why this still exists is a mystery, but I am sure the sense of entitlement they must feel every day is somehow gratifying in their day-to-day work life. These people are often untouchable, unapproachable, and condescending to deal with.

While the engineering talent is tremendous, it's difficult to understand why so many failure points exist. Issues that are usually brought up after a big issue are rarely followed up leading to instances where the issue pops up again further impacting customers needlessly. A lot of focus is around what new features people are working on with very little thought around fixing existing infrastructure beyond the hyperbole people hear in group meetings.

One thing that also stands out is that people are pushed out of this company far too often. Good people. People with great ideas but those ideas may not align with the company gameplan so their jobs are made difficult until they decide they just don't want to take it anymore and they leave on their own or are simply just let go for very little reason. Bottomline: if this company wants you out, they are going to find a way. But just to be fair, this is true for most companies in the Valley.

Start looking from the inside out. Twilio has done a great job looking at the outside in. Hire more effective management whose ideas will be considered and implemented.

Communicate.

If something is not working do not be passive about it. Confront it. Ask tough questions. Making decisions to skirt the issue just continues to build mistrust and furthers the tension amongst the teams.

Training!!!

While Twilio is packed with tremendous talent there is still room for improvement. Along with career enrichment there should be a very clear path for training and added time to work on that training. This should not just be lip service!

Promote from within but do so based on merit. This is important as no one likes to see people promoted for reasons other than what they should be promoted for. People in leadership positions should be able to handle people well, know the technology, and know how to navigate the responsibilities that come with the position they're being promoted for. Doing so for any other reason will breed resentment and will often create further tension which leads to attrition. However, it often feels like this is the gameplan.

HR is often clueless about how to deal with major problems in the organization. Approaching them about problems is a pointless endeavor. This is a problem from the top down. Poor leadership in this department is leading to complacency and very little impact on dealing with existing employee issues. A major focus is on hiring with very little thought around what can be done to improve the working environment overall. Very little is being done to further this area for the company rather this department seems to be content keeping things as they are. A new face to lead this department with some insight on how to be prolific is HIGHLY recommended. It's ironic that Twilio is a valued startup with great ideas yet the HR team is operating as if they are in the 90's.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I feel very lucky to have found a job at Twilio.

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

I actually like going to work everyday. The people I work with are dedicated to their jobs but not so single-minded that we can't have fun during the day. I feel like I am appreciated and my input is valued.

Cons

The commute to the city is a hike (but expected and a trade off for a higher salary). At least it's not too far from Bart.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Best career decision I ever made

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many companies talk about caring about employees and customers but the actions tell a different story - this company really means it and acts on it right from the top.

Great caring people with great attitude and amazing skill set.

Culture and how you treat people really matters here. This is the most welcome I have felt at any company I have worked at.

Cons

None that I have come across so far. Not everything is perfect of course but nothing that isn't normal for fast growing companies and the will to learn and improve is there.

Keep going. Preserve the culture even as the company grows.

Great place to work... company vision is something you can really buy into

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Normal San Francisco Startup feeling. People are great and work life is decent (not a 9-5 shop, but not a 15 hour day shop either). Benefits are pretty standard for SF.

Cons

No real cons - the reporting structure is pretty flat, and most everyone is pretty approachable. It is a pretty development centric company, so depending on what you do, could be seen as either.

My best job so far

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy working at Twilio because I know we're providing a high quality service to developers. As a developer myself, it makes me feel good that I can stand behind our API and recommend it to anyone. I've also enjoyed the people at Twilio - folks have been very friendly.

Cons

It's a typical startup environment, so the goalposts seem to move pretty frequently. Many policies and procedures are tried - some take, some do not. But I am given a lot of freedom to exercise my judgment and do my job how I see fit, so this affects me less than it might if I had less personal responsibility.

Consider refactoring the org to hire outside the valley and support remote work. It's hard to compete for talent in SF, even with the large number of talented people that live and work there.

A once great company going super nova

Current Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

The smartest, hardest working people I’ve ever been associated with. Very good perks. For the first few months the most fun I've ever had at any company, then it went south.

Cons

Lots here:

- Because of the focus on shipping product there is huge technical debt and a very shaky code foundation that has resulted in costly customer impacting outages. There is a lot of lip service about fixing the problems but it is trivialized over shipping new features. This is very serious and begs the question about the long-term company viability.

- Developer burnout trying to keep the system up and ship product. Developers are expected to work all night on production problems and do their day jobs. There is a real lack of quality in the product.

- Management shenanigans have eroded their once prized culture with some very key people either being forced out or quitting out of frustration with direction or lack of career advancement.

- Cronyism in new hires. The hiring system was set up to keep this from happening but with new management they are bring in their friends.

- Management manages by Twitter, short term thinking and micro management rather than setting direction.

- An undercurrent of distrust between internal Engineering teams and between Engineering and the other teams in the company that is again leading to erosion in the culture and setting up favoritism.

- Senior managers believing in their and the companies built up propaganda, the feeling of invincibility.

I would give advice but senior management is the problem and it would fall on deaf ears. They will weave whatever story they need to put themselves in a positive light.

Lack of leadership resulting in a lot of churn

I worked at Twilio full-time

Pros

Super great product; lots of smart and fun people to work with; excellent benefits and perks.

Cons

Work comes in sideways all the time, disrupting many plans. Features seem to be more important than quality. There is a weird aura of dislike between different teams, with teams badmouthing each other, creating an uncomfortable and hostile work environment.

Hire better leadership and foster growth within the company. Pay close attention to what makes people happy -- it's not just about the benefits and perks.

Twilio is a great place to work, good people who care about the power of communications

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast. It's an exciting time to be there, and a fun place to work. The nine core values shape the environment. It's a lesser known startup with a lot of big customers, and it's cool to watch our customers succeed with our product.

Cons

Fast growth can come with a lot of awkward growth.

Worked for Twilio? Contribute to the Community!