Twilio Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated July 29, 2014
4.2

Jeff Lawson

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I feel very lucky to have found a job at Twilio.

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I actually like going to work everyday. The people I work with are dedicated to their jobs but not so single-minded that we can't have fun during the day. I feel like I am appreciated and my input is valued.

Cons

The commute to the city is a hike (but expected and a trade off for a higher salary). At least it's not too far from Bart.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Twilio Response

Sep 9, 2014Chief People Officer

Awesome input and thanks for taking the time to drop a note into glassdoor! Sandy

Best career decision I ever made

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many companies talk about caring about employees and customers but the actions tell a different story - this company really means it and acts on it right from the top.

Great caring people with great attitude and amazing skill set.

Culture and how you treat people really matters here. This is the most welcome I have felt at any company I have worked at.

Cons

None that I have come across so far. Not everything is perfect of course but nothing that isn't normal for fast growing companies and the will to learn and improve is there.

Keep going. Preserve the culture even as the company grows.

Great place to work... company vision is something you can really buy into

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Normal San Francisco Startup feeling. People are great and work life is decent (not a 9-5 shop, but not a 15 hour day shop either). Benefits are pretty standard for SF.

Cons

No real cons - the reporting structure is pretty flat, and most everyone is pretty approachable. It is a pretty development centric company, so depending on what you do, could be seen as either.

A once great company going super nova

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The smartest, hardest working people I’ve ever been associated with. Very good perks. For the first few months the most fun I've ever had at any company, then it went south.

Cons

Lots here:

- Because of the focus on shipping product there is huge technical debt and a very shaky code foundation that has resulted in costly customer impacting outages. There is a lot of lip service about fixing the problems but it is trivialized over shipping new features. This is very serious and begs the question about the long-term company viability.

- Developer burnout trying to keep the system up and ship product. Developers are expected to work all night on production problems and do their day jobs. There is a real lack of quality in the product.

- Management shenanigans have eroded their once prized culture with some very key people either being forced out or quitting out of frustration with direction or lack of career advancement.

- Cronyism in new hires. The hiring system was set up to keep this from happening but with new management they are bring in their friends.

- Management manages by Twitter, short term thinking and micro management rather than setting direction.

- An undercurrent of distrust between internal Engineering teams and between Engineering and the other teams in the company that is again leading to erosion in the culture and setting up favoritism.

- Senior managers believing in their and the companies built up propaganda, the feeling of invincibility.

I would give advice but senior management is the problem and it would fall on deaf ears. They will weave whatever story they need to put themselves in a positive light.

Twilio is a great place to work, good people who care about the power of communications

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast. It's an exciting time to be there, and a fun place to work. The nine core values shape the environment. It's a lesser known startup with a lot of big customers, and it's cool to watch our customers succeed with our product.

Cons

Fast growth can come with a lot of awkward growth.

Taste the Kool-Aid before diving in!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

* 2 of the most tech-savvy, on-the-ball, market-aware and inspiring Senior Engineering Management I have ever worked with in my career
    * 2 of the most jaw-dropping, outstanding-in-all-areas and straight-shooting Software Engineers I have ever worked with in my career
    * Incredible learning and social networking opportunities for interns and new grads
    * Networking and learning opportunities available through invited Tech Industry speakers

Cons

* Rare instances of extremely inexperienced Tech Leads moving into Line Management. Character insecurities translate into Passing-the-Buck for issues; while Taking the Credit for successful design and code from others
    * On-Call Production Support Duty for some of the Legacy Code stack has become a 'four-letter-word' for those who are married and/or have children
    * Drive to ship fast and frequently works best with experienced Tech Leads. Otherwise, major technical debt and production support risk is/has been incurred
    * Test Environment and Product Deployment processes and tools need cross-team accountability for any serious progress in reliability and usability.

* Vet your potential Leaders for character consistency. Adaptability applies for technical areas, but not for character. Nobody wants to work for an (A__Hole).
    * On Company Values: Watch the Guardians, Owls of Ga'Hoole.
    Consider its message for your employees, and their families.

Internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture and people here are great and really make the company. Fantastic place to work. Really enjoyed my experience.

Cons

none that I can think of.

Love the people, culture and mission.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I feel that Twilio's mission "Change communications forever" isn't just a catchphrase but something the company lives and breathes in everything it does.

Cons

No cons at all. Yep.

Great people, fun challenges, exciting to be a part of a rapidly growing company in technology

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are not limited by bureaucracy; if you have an idea that would improve your work, you are generally always encouraged to execute it

Cons

Company is huge, slowly losing its startup feel

More social events!

Professional Growth Opportunities and Happy People Abound!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been given more opportunities to take on responsibility here than any job in the past. When you deliver here, it is recognized and rewarded. I am very proud to be a member of this amazing team of achievers and I'm excited to come into to work here each day.

Cons

High growth can sometimes lead to growing pains. Sometimes we can be a bit inefficient as we're figuring out responsibilities and onboarding new employees.