Twilio Reviews

Reset
4.7
Jeff Lawson

1. Featured Review

Collection of bright people experiencing some growing pains

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Twilio has an incredibly driven environment. There's a mentality running through the office of genuinely wanting to change the world with these products. It's cool, motivating, and in turn, one can find themselves surrounded by very intelligent people working very hard and fast.

There's also a real sense of purpose and ability to grow. The values feel pretty legit, in that humility is a characteristic you'll regularly see in team members and "drawing the owl" is genuinely encouraged.

As mentioned in other reviews, this place feels like coming home to family.

Cons

Rapid growth has created some growing pains. In an effort to fill senior leadership roles quickly, the culture has taken a bit of a hit. There seems to be a large focus on land-grabbing, which is new and not subtle. The HR team is disorganized, communication is often lacking between departments, and titles have become a political power.

Advice to Management

Twilio is a rocket ship. Don't let these minor cons bring down the inherent enthusiasm of Twilio.

Amazing, unique culture/products w/ typical startup growing pains

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

-Amazing industry leading products
    -Brilliant, highly engaged employees and a great leadership team
    -A focus on diversity and "be yourself" culture like I've never seen at a tech company
    -Social connection is huge here, lots of close relationships and easy to make friends

Cons

Twilio is in hyper growth mode and hiring a lot of people and with this comes a few growing pains
    -Still building out systems and process to catch up to the growth of the company and complexity of problems we are solving. We're getting their though.
    -HR programs around Feedback & Recognition, Learning & Development, etc are not there yet but coming soon we are told. We just hit the size at where we need to start doing this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's difficult to build infrastructure at the same pace as the skyrocketing growth of this company and we see that we're on our way.

Culture and Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top SF/Silicon Valley startup company with a great product. Market leader in providing unique and programmable mobile telecom solutions via PaaS API. Developing new technology/services ahead of the curve. Huge growth over the past 3 years and definitely a company which will only continue to grow and be successful. Product out-performs competitors. Well known among tech industry and more and more outside the tech industry. Great opportunities, room for growth, and plenty of money.

Cons

Cons mostly revolve around your opinion of SF/Silicon Valley startups. Fills all of the tech startup cliches: catered lunches/dinners, over abundant company swag, manufactured quirkiness, heightened sense of self importance i.e. "we're changing the world", an anti-corporate corporation dichotomy, located in SOMA, it's a "fun" place to work, 90% of employees under 30 years old, required wholesale dedication to company "vision", etc. Basically, if you like the culture and fit in than there are no cons. If you don't feel as though you would fit in things might be a little tougher though you could say the same for any company.

Advice to Management

You are what you are so keep doing what you do.

5. People come first

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Dynamic company in a wide open field
     - Strong leadership and vision for the future
     - Commitment to ethical growth
     - Fun! Really does feel like a family. You want to do a good job because you like the people you're working with and are motivated by that bond.
     - Collaboration and learning are strongly valued

Cons

No real cons. Typical growing pains concerns can crop up, although not felt as strongly as at other fast-growth startups. You can tell adults run the business.

Advice to Management

Keep growing with integrity! You're doing a great job.

Awesome Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company, and I am thrilled to be here. The culture has grown organically and they built the values around those. This means people live the values by nature rather than having to form to those principles. There is a great energy here, and people are genuinely nice to each other. I feel like we are on to something big....

Cons

So far, I have not found any real negatives to this place. We are growing fast and sometimes that comes with some pains, but nothing I have not seen at any other start-up.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example.

Great culture and perks

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio as an intern

Pros

The people at Twilio are active in the community and there are a lot of opportunities to bond after work. HR plans fun activities for us interns as well.

My team is also very supportive and I can really feel that they want me to succeed. My boss even asked me what I wanted to learn and then scheduled some time to teach me.

Cons

There's been a lot of change recently and stress levels are a little high, at least in my department. Everyone checks their email beyond work hours and even on weekends.

Great atmosphere and smart people.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of people who really know what they are doing. It's one of the best collections of talent I've been around in a long time, and people are passionate about their work.

Cons

Responsibilities are broken up into so many teams that getting anything does takes 6 meetings. And boy, do they like having meetings.

Advice to Management

It seems that people who have more than a narrow domain of knowledge of the products are in short supply, and those people are very difficult to schedule. More generalists with big picture knowledge would likely help teams to accomplish all the cool new stuff they are asked for.

9. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio

Pros

People, culture of openness and the opportunity to solve real problems.

Cons

Flexibility in moving across teams.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. Working at Twilio means working with smart people to solve interesting problems for smart customers and developers

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hiring has kept up with Twilio's hypergrowth, talent has continued to increase.
    Openness and constant reassertion of the mission on a weekly basis, engagement with CEO Jeff Lawson and cross-team updates.
    Still small enough to offer individuals agility and autonomy in problem solving "Draw the Owl".

Cons

Hyper-growth and rapid change has some disadvantages.
    Working to identify company's post-start up identity and priorities.

Fair and honest environment - great community!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first interview and each day when I walk in I have been welcomed into a great community of kind hearted respectful, fun loving people. It is a community that enjoys the work and growth of what they are creating and supporting professionally and personally. It sounds goofy but it really is a pleasure to work at Twilio and people try hard to make it all work... through the good, bad and ugly. I appreciate that everyone respects each other and no one person's job is more important than the other person's job within the organization...

Cons

Every fast growing family, I mean company has its dysfunctional features and Twilio is always willing to acknowledge their dysfunctions and work through their issues. I am confident if I speak up regarding an issue...and come prepared with a reasonable solution to that issue...it will be heard and hopefully put into action.

Advice to Management

Great access to upper management - the leadership is on an even playing field and very accessible...if they are not available it is because they are busy doing their job to take us to the next level...

RSS Feed </> Embed