Twilio Reviews

• San Francisco, CA
4.4
Jeff Lawson

1. Featured Review

Collection of bright people experiencing some growing pains

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Twilio has an incredibly driven environment. There's a mentality running through the office of genuinely wanting to change the world with these products. It's cool, motivating, and in turn, one can find themselves surrounded by very intelligent people working very hard and fast.

There's also a real sense of purpose and ability to grow. The values feel pretty legit, in that humility is a characteristic you'll regularly see in team members and "drawing the owl" is genuinely encouraged.

As mentioned in other reviews, this place feels like coming home to family.

Cons

Rapid growth has created some growing pains. In an effort to fill senior leadership roles quickly, the culture has taken a bit of a hit. There seems to be a large focus on land-grabbing, which is new and not subtle. The HR team is disorganized, communication is often lacking between departments, and titles have become a political power.

Twilio is a rocket ship. Don't let these minor cons bring down the inherent enthusiasm of Twilio.

2. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio

Pros

People, culture of openness and the opportunity to solve real problems.

Cons

Flexibility in moving across teams.

Keep doing what you are doing.

3. Working at Twilio means working with smart people to solve interesting problems for smart customers and developers

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hiring has kept up with Twilio's hypergrowth, talent has continued to increase.
    Openness and constant reassertion of the mission on a weekly basis, engagement with CEO Jeff Lawson and cross-team updates.
    Still small enough to offer individuals agility and autonomy in problem solving "Draw the Owl".

Cons

Hyper-growth and rapid change has some disadvantages.
    Working to identify company's post-start up identity and priorities.

Fair and honest environment - great community!

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From the first interview and each day when I walk in I have been welcomed into a great community of kind hearted respectful, fun loving people. It is a community that enjoys the work and growth of what they are creating and supporting professionally and personally. It sounds goofy but it really is a pleasure to work at Twilio and people try hard to make it all work... through the good, bad and ugly. I appreciate that everyone respects each other and no one person's job is more important than the other person's job within the organization...

Cons

Every fast growing family, I mean company has its dysfunctional features and Twilio is always willing to acknowledge their dysfunctions and work through their issues. I am confident if I speak up regarding an issue...and come prepared with a reasonable solution to that issue...it will be heard and hopefully put into action.

Great access to upper management - the leadership is on an even playing field and very accessible...if they are not available it is because they are busy doing their job to take us to the next level...

6. Late stage tech startup with pluses and minuses

Current Contractor - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It feels like you're witnessing the birth of a company. Fun people to work with. Good location if you want to work in San Francisco. The company is still small enough to feel like you can make a difference and you can get access to the people you need.

Cons

Like most late stage startups, there's pressure to start acting and looking like a larger "more professional" and this means that Twilio is starting to feel more corporate, less focused on the best ideas and more focused on making us look more attractive to Wall Street.

Long hours when you take into account on-call after hours required for Engineering team members.

Do a better job of explaining in plane language to employees what Twilio's business model and services are. Circle back to the values that have made Twilio an interesting place to work. Hold senior managers accountable to promote a culture where looks for ideas across all of the teams. Engineering might have good ideas for marketing and sales. Finance can help manage the numbers better if they have better insight into what's happening in other departments.

I feel very lucky to have found a job at Twilio.

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I actually like going to work everyday. The people I work with are dedicated to their jobs but not so single-minded that we can't have fun during the day. I feel like I am appreciated and my input is valued.

Cons

The commute to the city is a hike (but expected and a trade off for a higher salary). At least it's not too far from Bart.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Twilio Response

Sep 9, 2014Chief People Officer

Awesome input and thanks for taking the time to drop a note into glassdoor! Sandy

Best career decision I ever made

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many companies talk about caring about employees and customers but the actions tell a different story - this company really means it and acts on it right from the top.

Great caring people with great attitude and amazing skill set.

Culture and how you treat people really matters here. This is the most welcome I have felt at any company I have worked at.

Cons

None that I have come across so far. Not everything is perfect of course but nothing that isn't normal for fast growing companies and the will to learn and improve is there.

Keep going. Preserve the culture even as the company grows.

9. Great place to work... company vision is something you can really buy into

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Normal San Francisco Startup feeling. People are great and work life is decent (not a 9-5 shop, but not a 15 hour day shop either). Benefits are pretty standard for SF.

Cons

No real cons - the reporting structure is pretty flat, and most everyone is pretty approachable. It is a pretty development centric company, so depending on what you do, could be seen as either.

A once great company going super nova

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The smartest, hardest working people I’ve ever been associated with. Very good perks. For the first few months the most fun I've ever had at any company, then it went south.

Cons

Lots here:

- Because of the focus on shipping product there is huge technical debt and a very shaky code foundation that has resulted in costly customer impacting outages. There is a lot of lip service about fixing the problems but it is trivialized over shipping new features. This is very serious and begs the question about the long-term company viability.

- Developer burnout trying to keep the system up and ship product. Developers are expected to work all night on production problems and do their day jobs. There is a real lack of quality in the product.

- Management shenanigans have eroded their once prized culture with some very key people either being forced out or quitting out of frustration with direction or lack of career advancement.

- Cronyism in new hires. The hiring system was set up to keep this from happening but with new management they are bring in their friends.

- Management manages by Twitter, short term thinking and micro management rather than setting direction.

- An undercurrent of distrust between internal Engineering teams and between Engineering and the other teams in the company that is again leading to erosion in the culture and setting up favoritism.

- Senior managers believing in their and the companies built up propaganda, the feeling of invincibility.

I would give advice but senior management is the problem and it would fall on deaf ears. They will weave whatever story they need to put themselves in a positive light.

Twilio is a great place to work, good people who care about the power of communications

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast. It's an exciting time to be there, and a fun place to work. The nine core values shape the environment. It's a lesser known startup with a lot of big customers, and it's cool to watch our customers succeed with our product.

Cons

Fast growth can come with a lot of awkward growth.