Twin City Fan Companies
www.twincityfan.com Minneapolis, MN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Twin City Fan Companies Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Chuck Barry

Growing company that recognizes market trends and adjusts to them to have a strong presence in the industry

Plymouth, MN

ProsI worked for Twin City Fan for almost eight years. My coworkers had a wide range of experience in the industry which helped me learn a lot about the company, its products and its customers. Everyone I worked with was helpful with questions I had and the Barry's were supportive of decisions I made with customers. Traveling to see customers was great and I had the opportunity almost as much as I wanted.

ConsVacation packages could be greater. Compared to other companies that offer about 3 - 5 more days than what TCF offers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep helping out the younger staff and grooming them for future roles. Teamwork within the company is great but there is always room for improvement.

Flag Review
    Twin City Fan Companies HR Generalist responded to this review Jun 19, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the feedback!

I would NEVER recommend this company to ANYONE!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company itself is actually pretty stable and growing which helps with job security (however it is not reflected in the benefits or pay). There's popcorn in the break room, a mediocre exercise facility (if it isn't being utilized by all of the senior management at once).

ConsPay is low and the benefits are HORRIBLE. Vacation is a complete joke. Everyone starting out only gets 2 weeks vacation for 7 YEARS! After that it goes up to three weeks until you've been there 12 years. I honestly can't believe that I was in my mid 30's and still only had two weeks vacation when I worked here. Additionally, promotions from within are rare. There's nothing to aspire - small growth internally even though the company makes good money.

Overall, there is no real camaraderie within your peers at Twin City. Nobody does happy hour, no one really hangs out or feels friendly towards one another. The building itself is dark and cold - no windows unless you are privileged enough to be a director that takes an office with one. Atmosphere is dark and drab. There would be days where I wouldn't speak to anyone because the departments are so siloed. And it is definitely not a fun place for young workers or engineers out of college. The majority of the employees here have to be over the age of 45 and they definitely SEEM old too from their demeanor and the way they dress. I would have experiences with several people that would not know how to delete a page from WORD, print or scan a document, or export a document to a PDF <<< all basic things people working in an office should know.

You can definitely see that there is preferential treatment for all of senior management (which is a complete boys club - the Barry family) who have assigned parking up front and drive their Jaguars to work everyday. There's an exercise facility, but most people don't bother using it because the directors get paid private trainers as a bonus and utilize that area constantly. The company pinches pennies everywhere else but the salaries of the Barry family that owns it. Private planes, HUGE custom offices, expensive suits and cars...while the rest of the company has to share printers that don't work, utilize ARCHAIC software that should have been replaced at least 15 years ago and opt for supplies that are rationed.

The programs they use to update information is so outdated, you can't even use a mouse within the system - you must use a keyboard just like you did in the early 90's. There is no real intranet system so most everything you want to access about your records has to be done manually.

One more thing - management watches over you like a hawk and micromanages your schedule to a T. If you come in five to ten minutes late every now and then, they give you a stern talking to about being on time. Never mind all the times you worked hours late on a project. There is no real understanding of your own schedule, work/life balance, a sickness or if you had to be late because of a snowstorm that held up traffic. It's all about the $$$ here at Twin City - Employees come last!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to increase camaraderie within employees and enhance company culture at Twin City. Get rid of the incredibly divisive parking spot assignments and try to involve yourself more within the day to day activities of the company. There is no real incentive for an employee to stay at Twin City because there is no career growth and the benefits are bad. I believe the only reason some have is because they are older, can't go anywhere else, and are used to the asinine ways of the company.

Very disappointing

ProsFree food, popcorn, welcoming environment

ConsNot the best pay, Thankless, long hours, rude upper management and coworkers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing company with lots of potential

ProsMany training opportunities, frequent internal promotions, on-site workout facility, tickets to sporting events, competitive medical and dental, tuition assistance, team sports over lunch

ConsProvide more vacation days

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall communication to employees has improved greatly since I was hired, keep it up.

Currently employed by Twin City Fan Companies

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Plymouth, MN

ProsGreat salary, safe work environment, forward-looking company with future stability. TCF is expanding in other countries and appears to be on the leading edge of new innovations in the fan industry. Very comfortable work environment.

ConsExpanding so fast may have its problems. I am confident, however, that pper management is very capable of running the company and its expansion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep enclosing "company news & updates along with paychecks. This allows the employees get a better picture of what is going on and makes us feel like we are truly a part of the company.

Not A Good Place To Work

Employee (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsDecent benefits, free water, popcorn in the afternoons, some good co-workers

ConsThe company is run exclusively for the benefit of the family owners...private jet, BMWs and Jags - if you are a family member you can do nothing all day and still make a huge salary with perks. When they remodeled the President absorbed the office next to his and turned it into a private bathroom, just like his dad the CEO has. At the same time they will push and squeeze every last nickel out of the employees. When an Employee Stock Ownership Plan was liquidated people didn't get all their money up front. Instead they got a small piece of it and a promissory note for the rest.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives are too busy playing political games and CYA to effectively manage the company. Top management needs to start looking out for everyone and not just their own interests.

Frustration with the attitudes of old-timers & senior drafters.

Drafter (Former Employee)
    Plymouth, MN

ProsFairly good benefits. Gym etc.

ConsVery long hours. Mandatory overtime for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more active in supporting employee training within normal business hours.

Revolving door...by choice or not...

(Former Employee)

ProsUpdating technology and building. Some good co-workers. Frequent special musical and sporting events ticket lottery. In the forefront among its competitors.

ConsTurnovers are indicative of poor management, especially those that speak condescendingly to their employees or behind their backs. Promotions are limited unless you are related. Must know how to swim as there is no training. Tuition reimbursement is too low compared to surrounding companies. Low morale. Frequent job postings within a small company show where the problems are.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to learn to interact better with employees. Promote non-relatives. Provide more training.

Set up to fail from day 1

Plymouth, MN

ProsFree water, free coffee, free popcorn at 3 pm, the building has been recently updated and expanded. If you happen to be related to someone in upper management you can pretty much not work all day and not get fired.

ConsYou're told you can be fired on the spot if Chuck Barry doen't like what you wear, and that as a department you are being "watched" by the higher ups. Anyone could make a claim against you and management would believe it and act on it, yet you're never told who has made the claim, new hires have absolutely no credibility. New hires are held to a different set of rules than existing employees, if you point that out, you will be told you are behaving like a 7th grader and they will find a reason to place a disciplinary action against you. Extremely unprofessional management in the OEM department and training is non-existent to poor and depends on the teaching ability of existing employees who seem offended to be sharing the same air with you. Do as I say and not as I do is the norm. If you happen to be related to someone in upper management you can pretty much not work all day and not get fired (nepotism). Army building, backstabbing, throwing people under the bus and constant whispering and gossiping is common. There is no positive interaction from management, only negative. The computer systems are redundant, inefficient, and archaic. You’re not given the tools you need to do the job, too few dependable copy machines and printers.

It is an extremely toxic and unprofessional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the policy where new hires can't transfer within 6 months of their employment

Get an electronic in/out board

Train managers to treat their employess with respect and dignity and give positive feedback from time to time instead of only negative. Train them to treat new hires with the same respect as existing employees. Give special training to new managers who will be managing their former co-workers.

Let all current employees give anonymous feedback about their positions, supervisors and co-workers, call it opportunities to improve your work environment.

Provide training to employees on how to behave like adults and work out their differences instead of allowing army building, back stabbing, gossipping and childish behavior. Let it be known that army building, back stabbing, gossippping and childish behavior at work will not be tolerated and then fire those who don't comply.

Time clocks don't belong in an office, make the managers responsible for their employees time

Nepotism and Politics rule the work environment.

Minneapolis, MN

ProsFree water, tea and coffee at the Mpls location. Free exercise room with locker room facility. Free popcorn daily at 3:00 pm - awesome.

ConsThere are some capable and ethical senior level managers at this company but they are in the minority and they are not in the ruling majority at this time. Out of a group of approximately 30 directors and senior executives at this company - only one is a woman and she does not actively participate as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe reserved parking spots for the owners, directors and executvies to park their company leased Quad Cab pickups, lexus, bmw's, suburbans, etc really send a strong negative message to all the employees toiling there daily to pay for it all.

Worked for Twin City Fan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twin City Fan Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Twin City Fan Companies CEO Chuck Barry. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Twin City Fan Companies employees.