Twin City Fan Companies

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014
2.3

Chuck Barry

Growing company that recognizes market trends and adjusts to them to have a strong presence in the industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Twin City Fan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Twin City Fan for almost eight years. My coworkers had a wide range of experience in the industry which helped me learn a lot about the company, its products and its customers. Everyone I worked with was helpful with questions I had and the Barry's were supportive of decisions I made with customers. Traveling to see customers was great and I had the opportunity almost as much as I wanted.

Cons

Vacation packages could be greater. Compared to other companies that offer about 3 - 5 more days than what TCF offers.

Keep helping out the younger staff and grooming them for future roles. Teamwork within the company is great but there is always room for improvement.

Thank you for the feedback!

Who wants to work with phony, crabby and downright mean people? And did I mention lying is acceptable?

I worked at Twin City Fan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's a stable company, but that's it. Oops, nice sporting event's perk.

Cons

Managers that refuse to do their job, if you're in with the Barry's you don't have to work. The managers are hypocrites across the board. Mine spent half the day socializing and roaming the office yet I couldn't spend even a few minutes having a non work conversation. Some of the people that work there border on evil they're so mean and nasty. No friendships or happy hours, no good training, people are never accountable for the fear of being fired or humiliated. People who have zero people skills seem to get management positions. Some of the nepotism is actually creepy. No one has your back and the people with the most experience and knowledge refuse to share it because they don't want to be challenged. They honestly don't care about you there, stay away.

Fire all of your managers and directors and hire new HR staff, the HR staff there are cowards and yes women (absolutely heartless and only one side of the story is used). Stop allowing rotten human beings to be in charge of anything. There are a few "Barry" employees that either need to be fired or at the least required to work while there.

Miserable Place to Work

I have been working at Twin City Fan Companies

Pros

Overall very stable company. Opportunity to get in, get some experience, and move on somewhere else. Willing to pay for quite a bit of external training.

Cons

Micromanagement. As a whole, the company is very much willing to keep incompetent and tyrannical managers in place. Not an employee friendly environment. Training for your specific position is almost nonexistent. Truly the worst job I've ever had.

Have a heart. Take a step back and let your employees do the job you hired them to do. Fire the jerks who are making others lives a living hell. Take a serious look at your pay and benefits package.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would NEVER recommend this company to ANYONE!

I worked at Twin City Fan Companies for more than 5 years

Pros

The company itself is actually pretty stable and growing which helps with job security (however it is not reflected in the benefits or pay). There's popcorn in the break room, a mediocre exercise facility (if it isn't being utilized by all of the senior management at once).

Cons

Pay is low and the benefits are HORRIBLE. Vacation is a complete joke. Everyone starting out only gets 2 weeks vacation for 7 YEARS! After that it goes up to three weeks until you've been there 12 years. I honestly can't believe that I was in my mid 30's and still only had two weeks vacation when I worked here. Additionally, promotions from within are rare. There's nothing to aspire - small growth internally even though the company makes good money.

Overall, there is no real camaraderie within your peers at Twin City. Nobody does happy hour, no one really hangs out or feels friendly towards one another. The building itself is dark and cold - no windows unless you are privileged enough to be a director that takes an office with one. Atmosphere is dark and drab. There would be days where I wouldn't speak to anyone because the departments are so siloed. And it is definitely not a fun place for young workers or engineers out of college. The majority of the employees here have to be over the age of 45 and they definitely SEEM old too from their demeanor and the way they dress. I would have experiences with several people that would not know how to delete a page from WORD, print or scan a document, or export a document to a PDF <<< all basic things people working in an office should know.

You can definitely see that there is preferential treatment for all of senior management (which is a complete boys club - the Barry family) who have assigned parking up front and drive their Jaguars to work everyday. There's an exercise facility, but most people don't bother using it because the directors get paid private trainers as a bonus and utilize that area constantly. The company pinches pennies everywhere else but the salaries of the Barry family that owns it. Private planes, HUGE custom offices, expensive suits and cars...while the rest of the company has to share printers that don't work, utilize ARCHAIC software that should have been replaced at least 15 years ago and opt for supplies that are rationed.

The programs they use to update information is so outdated, you can't even use a mouse within the system - you must use a keyboard just like you did in the early 90's. There is no real intranet system so most everything you want to access about your records has to be done manually.

One more thing - management watches over you like a hawk and micromanages your schedule to a T. If you come in five to ten minutes late every now and then, they give you a stern talking to about being on time. Never mind all the times you worked hours late on a project. There is no real understanding of your own schedule, work/life balance, a sickness or if you had to be late because of a snowstorm that held up traffic. It's all about the $$$ here at Twin City - Employees come last!

Find ways to increase camaraderie within employees and enhance company culture at Twin City. Get rid of the incredibly divisive parking spot assignments and try to involve yourself more within the day to day activities of the company. There is no real incentive for an employee to stay at Twin City because there is no career growth and the benefits are bad. I believe the only reason some have is because they are older, can't go anywhere else, and are used to the asinine ways of the company.

Very disappointing

I have been working at Twin City Fan Companies full-time

Pros

Free food, popcorn, welcoming environment

Cons

Not the best pay, Thankless, long hours, rude upper management and coworkers

Thank you for the feedback!

Growing company with lots of potential

I have been working at Twin City Fan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many training opportunities, frequent internal promotions, on-site workout facility, tickets to sporting events, competitive medical and dental, tuition assistance, team sports over lunch

Cons

Provide more vacation days

Overall communication to employees has improved greatly since I was hired, keep it up.

Currently employed by Twin City Fan Companies

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Twin City Fan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great salary, safe work environment, forward-looking company with future stability. TCF is expanding in other countries and appears to be on the leading edge of new innovations in the fan industry. Very comfortable work environment.

Cons

Expanding so fast may have its problems. I am confident, however, that pper management is very capable of running the company and its expansion.

Keep enclosing "company news & updates along with paychecks. This allows the employees get a better picture of what is going on and makes us feel like we are truly a part of the company.

Not A Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Twin City Fan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits, free water, popcorn in the afternoons, some good co-workers

Cons

The company is run exclusively for the benefit of the family owners...private jet, BMWs and Jags - if you are a family member you can do nothing all day and still make a huge salary with perks. When they remodeled the President absorbed the office next to his and turned it into a private bathroom, just like his dad the CEO has. At the same time they will push and squeeze every last nickel out of the employees. When an Employee Stock Ownership Plan was liquidated people didn't get all their money up front. Instead they got a small piece of it and a promissory note for the rest.

Executives are too busy playing political games and CYA to effectively manage the company. Top management needs to start looking out for everyone and not just their own interests.

Frustration with the attitudes of old-timers & senior drafters.

Former Employee - Drafter  in  Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Drafter in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Twin City Fan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly good benefits. Gym etc.

Cons

Very long hours. Mandatory overtime for years.

Be more active in supporting employee training within normal business hours.

Revolving door...by choice or not...

I worked at Twin City Fan Companies

Pros

Updating technology and building. Some good co-workers. Frequent special musical and sporting events ticket lottery. In the forefront among its competitors.

Cons

Turnovers are indicative of poor management, especially those that speak condescendingly to their employees or behind their backs. Promotions are limited unless you are related. Must know how to swim as there is no training. Tuition reimbursement is too low compared to surrounding companies. Low morale. Frequent job postings within a small company show where the problems are.

Management needs to learn to interact better with employees. Promote non-relatives. Provide more training.

Worked for Twin City Fan Companies? Contribute to the Community!