Twist Image

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mitch Joel

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, decent work, rather low pay

I have been working at Twist Image full-time

ProsPeople are awesome at TI (especially in the Toronto office).

ConsDon't expect a big raise.

I had Great Expectations, Low Return on Investment of My Time

I have been working at Twist Image full-time

ProsGreat people who are destined to do great work...elsewhere. I had high hopes that I would be working on challenging and creative projects. What I got was mundane nonsense.

ConsLow pay. They will work you to the bone but not compensate you accordingly. Those who leave do great work for better agencies and clients. If nothing else, Twist Image is a stepping stone. Also, I tried adding Mitch Joel on LinkedIn and he rejected my request. His own employee! My experience with Twist Image has been a rude awakening that I wish on no one.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horses. Pay us what we deserve. When people leave it's because of YOU. Do something about it and then you won't have such a high turnover.

Oppressive chop-shop

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Twist Image full-time

ProsAgency experience you'll have when you move to a new agency.

ConsBrutal turnover
Micromanagement
Politics
Late hours
Thankless
Substandard creative execution / marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo of the owners = expendable.

Disappointed, didn't meet expectations

Creative (Former Employee)

I worked at Twist Image full-time

Pros- The people on the ground (Toronto and Montreal) are great
- Not too many management levels
- Company attracts top talent

Cons- Brought in with expectation to lead creative ideation, work on advertising campaigns and new technology. Instead, mostly working on designing Facebook posts and banner ads. No big ideas here.
- Management expects staff to innovate and generate amazing work that brings in new clients, but this is not encouraged or reflected in the process
- Partners often talk about new technology, but the internet hasn't been working properly for months
- Agency touts great environment and modern workplace, yet the work is standard 9 to 5 and the office has had no furniture in meeting rooms for months
- You are resourced to the brim with mundane work, regardless of seniority level
- Mostly working on site refreshes, banner ads, little to no work on marketing or advertising ideas
- Top talent in company leaves after they realize that nothing's going to change
- Most work is very "safe" and designed by a committee - not a lot of emphasis on creative idea
- Developers are never encouraged or pushed to deliver quality work. Budget dictates quality so final product is always defective. Nothing widely noted in industry was created or worked on here. Management always shuts down big ideas because they want to be "safe".

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk less about what the employees could be doing better and lead by example. Give developers and creatives freedom to explore new ideas and put their experience to practice. Sell big ideas to client, instead of just managing a client ask and counting peanuts. Let senior people be senior and don't make them do junior work because it's a waste of their time and your money.

Great environment

I worked at Twist Image

ProsA large company that is still run like a family.
No corporate red tape.
Direct access to the owners.
Room to evolve vertically or horizontally.
Smart people.
Great clients list.
Wide variety of project types.

ConsRapid growth has its challenges.
Agency life can be stressful at times.
Some clients are difficult to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team should continue what they are doing. No company is perfect, but overall, they are doing a lot right to be this successful. They listen to the staff, at least those who speak to them. They reward hard work and don't have patience for those who slack.

A good place to start...but you'll want to move on fast

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Twist Image

ProsGood client list
Pushes the new media and social media envelope
Good atmosphere
Nice location in Montreal
Interesting projects
Great team members
Good place to start in the field of digital marketing
Good place to start your professional development

Consunpaid overtime hours
no possibility to bank the overtime hours
Disorganized at times
no opportunity for career advancement
Salaries not up to industry standards
Communication between the Toronto and Montreal offices is sometimes disconnected
lacking in the recognition
High turnover rate
Lack of guidance
very young project management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should listen to their employees. Twist Image experienced rapid growth (now with 2 offices and 100+ employees) and it seems that the management is still running the place as if it was a small design box. They have very good talent and they should work harder to keep them. They also have allot of young talent that needs professional guidance and training. They don't seem to realize that if they would invest more in their employees, they would get a 10 folds return out of them.

Lot's of growth, little upward mobility

I worked at Twist Image

ProsGreat people
Big name clients
Big projects
Bleeding edge work
Lots of on-the-fly training (sink or swim)
Great reputation
Lots of varied intelligence to soak in

ConsLong hours
Little support
Little appreciation
No sense of stability or job security
High turn over
Not a lot of room for personal leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat at hiring amazing people, not so great at helping them grow within the company. So many talented people came and left, and the vast majority of them are now in more senior positions with better pay. It really is a situation where they bring in great talent and then make it almost impossible to want to say. Most find tremendous professional growth for a little while, but then can't move up or feel satisfied with the work, so their work starts to wane and it's only a matter of time before they leave one way or another.

Worked for Twist Image? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twist Image reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Twist Image CEO Mitch Joel. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Twist Image employees.