Twitter

Twitter Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo

Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people(in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds)(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains(in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco(in 6 reviews)

I feel lucky every morning.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great food, great compensation, great learning opportunities, great opportunities to jump into the fast growing code-base. You get to do what matters to the world. Great work/life balance as well.

ConsWell, I am not a big fan of San Francisco. It's a dirty and dangerous city.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe incentives?

Promising Start - Questionable Future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFood, Coworkers, Innovative atmosphere, work-life balance, perks at workplace

ConsIncreasingly puzzling decisions by Sr. Execs. Such as promoting individuals to Director or higher level even though experience does not support. More as reward for being part of company from beginning than based on good, practical, business sense / decisions. Also, comany does not seem to be working on biggest problem for future of company which is growing user base by making Twitter more appealing to broader user base - seems more interested in becoming part of mainstream media

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in Sr. Management with experience in the areas you wish to strengthen. Do not promote inexperienced individuals as nothing more than a reward for being with company longer than newer hires (even though they are better suited). Company needs to begin acting like a global corporation, not a start up any more. Focus first on why more people don't use Twitter.

Amazing company culture, massive growth potential and really interesting product.

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCollaboration - everyone here is pushing towards a common goal, we all want to see the company grow and become more successful. Wickedly smart people - we have some of the best people in their field but because the culture is so collaborative rarely do those smart people beat you over the head with their intellect. Speed of decision - decisions are made quickly so we can move into execution swiftly, decisions are supported by data but not to excess.

ConsIt is chaotic and shows signs of a company that has gone through some rapid growth. Things often aren't written down and there is a lot of work to do to support this growth. However that is a really exciting con to have to deal with as the company expands and brings onboard talent from other, larger companies there's a danger that the culture will get diluted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing. The culture here is something you should be proud of, don't let the growth in the company kill that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned a lot, and met great people!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou learn a lot of things from some of the great engineers that work here. The ability to get the opportunity to code and write "clever" code is more encouraged than it is at other companies. Yay Scala!

ConsI was at their old location when I was working there, but it was not in a good part of town. There new place is supposed to be awesome, though!

Great company

Network Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture, lots of people with similar goals and interests, tools I need to do my job. Often find myself working for the fun of it rather than to keep management happy. Lots of room to move up here.

ConsToo many people here expecting the world to bend to their whim. Twentitled being a commonly used word. Often working with so many smart people you can get issues with people not being willing to bend because they believe they are right. Often slow to fire problem employees.

Starting to see hire and fire culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMany teams are good and twitter-20 is true (a.k.a great food, you gain 20 pounds).

ConsTwitter was previously great place to work.
    Unlike to bigger companies like Google, there could be better opportunities but the management has FAILED to scale the organization well.
    Managers have no interest in setting up the new hires for success, they are focused on getting short term results. Thus leading to many cases of hire and fire.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the mid tier management

Worst Company I have ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsClose to nothing, the location, the people, the product, the company and the managers are all awful. The food was good.

ConsWell, everything - I can think of too many things that are wrong with this company to list.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the BS and get a handle of your company. The goal of max employees for managers is junk and you know it. This has caused so much middle management BS for employees to get anything done

FEMALES BEWARE! Very bro heavy. Women not treated well at all.

ProsI like the actual platform, and some of my coworkers are delightful.

ConsTwitter is bro-heavy from the top down. Women have very little opportunity for advancement. Once, someone asked why there weren't more women in sales leadership positions and someone got up and talked about how great the women in sales were. Two weeks later, 5 people were promoted in sales. Guess how many women? ZERO. I have seen bosses with admins humiliate their admins in meetings (admins being mostly women, this is a huge red flag), and they definitely are not shown respect. "The fish stinks from the head," as they say. In this case, it is definitely true.

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-growing company, lots of users, high impact work
    -love my coworkers
    -a product that is changing the world

Cons-not an easy job
    -changes impact millions of users which can sometimes be stressful

Waiting to hit that 1 year mark to leave the Flock

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPretty good (conditions apply)
    Breakfast and lunch is good but dinner is bad half the time

ConsThey overwork you.. they do not lead / inspire you, instead they drive you to meet the expectations
    When management screws up the plans and cancel whole releases its all okay (as they are doing the right thing no matter what) but when engineers mess up something they point fingers at you.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!