Twitter

Twitter Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo

Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people(in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds)(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains(in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco(in 6 reviews)

Energetic place to work for

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat People, dedicated and fun work atmosphere

ConsFew Benefits, comparatively bad healthcare plan

Its not as good as people outside think it is.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood engineers. Code is all out there and seen by everyone, great opportunity to understand various parts of the system.

ConsNew hires are not set up for success. Unless you have already worked in another web company expect difficult times. Though to be fair I hear many teams do a good job at it.
    My advise to anyone joining Twitter would be to join a team which has old time engineers and preferably under manager who were previously engineer at Twitter, else you won't get to experience the culture you would hope to see.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good in communicating most things except that I feel weird to see them send out survey questions which indirectly indicate on the lines - 'we are not afraid to fire people'. I think Twitter could be upfront about this (like Netflix by putting this in their career page)
    Promote engineers interested in management internally to preserve the culture.

You need to fit the mould.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDedicated, talented people.
    Incredible access. Business, entertainment, you name it. Twitter has a relationship.
    Healthy compensation, and at HQ, top notch food.
    Good likelihood you'll ship.
    Decent exec communication and great transparency inside the company.
    Hacking culture.

ConsLots of management. Lots of reorgs. No executive team design leadership, and lackluster design culture. Product management runs the show. Little room for creative exploration. Lots of committee-based decisions. Remote offices are a complete nightmare if you are working on the core product.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the design team entirely in SF.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No life outside of work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work, snacks and food. Twitter has a lot of smart people.

Cons- unspoken requirement to be available all the time (in many teams)
    - forget any life outside of work (some teams are good), all in the name of passion. Good luck with having a life if you are not a manager.
    - rather bad middle tier management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good managers

Fun, exciting place to work, but has it's issues

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTons of exceptionally smart people, good benefits, open office with great food/snacks, always something fun/interesting going on like happy hours or celebrity visits, close to Bart

ConsLots of growing pains due to rapid expansion, sometimes cramped office, over-committed managers, increasing levels of hierarchy leading to increased "politics", frequent re-orgs

Advice to Senior ManagementAggressively enforce the no-more-than-10-direct-reports rule for managers. Ensure that managers are helping their employees succeed, rather than just punishing them when they fail.

Twitter has been great at surrounding me with very skilled people.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsTwitter has great people all around me. The quality of the advice and discussion the co-workers provide is great. The benefits are great too.

ConsThe massive expansion of the workforce sometimes make it difficult to find an engineer that knows every corner of their product. The volatile stock makes it very difficult to estimate taxes (this might be pro).

I work with some of the smartest people in tech and love coming to work and having an impact.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of opportunity to help the company scale during times of rapid growth. Make an impact on something huge.

ConsThere are some bad apples in in the pasture and it's amazing how they stick around. Bad hires often stick around.

Amazing company and culture in all offices

ProsGreat culture, great benefits, terrific management

ConsNeed a more competitive salary base

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salary comparable to other tech firms

Great company, awesome people, interesting projects

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Transparent company with good communication from upper management about most issues.
    - Set of core values that people know and care about.
    - People are smart, friendly, passionate, open, and responsive.
    - Lots of really cool projects going on.
    - Great compensation and perks.

Cons- Visibility into a few issues and activities are not as good as they could be for those not directly related.
    - Some areas of the company and product do not seem to be fully "ironed out" in terms of direction and what the company believes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to maintain strong lines of communication with the company as a whole, especially with the rapid growth the company has been experiencing.

Awesome place for engineers to learn and grow with an endless supply of perks and opportunities!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsInteresting projects, really smart people, great perks, and highly visible company. It's fun to work at a company where most major feature releases are highlighted on TechCrunch and other tech blogs!

ConsSometimes analysis paralysis happens and decisions are slow.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!