Twitter Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
4.3

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Motivating culture, great perks, demanding

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's rare to work in an environment where you're surrounded by so many people who care deeply about their job and the product they are supporting. There's very little ego here - the few that exhibit it stand out. It's a collaborative environment full of passionate people. No one punches in and punches out, everyone works until they get it done and also finds time to take a break and enjoy a drink in the commons or a chat in the halls

Cons

Normal growing pains. Too many places that house information and a constantly growing workforce causes some minor frustrations.

Those who were appropriate for their role when the company was small are not necessarily appropriate for leadership at this stage.

Amazing internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was very easy to communicate and get support on what you're working on, as Twitter has a very open workplace. The role obviously varies from team to team, but on my team, I was treated similarly to a new grad full-time. People generally cared about the company, and everyone was exceedingly nice and eager to help.

Cons

Still a relatively new, growing company and sometimes lacks the infrastructure / tools and stability a more mature company might have.

Keep it up, I loved my manager.

Great engineers, awesome culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

The perks are a little obscene, in a good way. Particularly in the SF office. The engineers you'll find are some of the best I've seen anywhere. Great blend of startup "get stuff done" culture and theoretic rigor. Getting to work on a product that changes the world is as compelling as it sounds.

Cons

Some growing pains in the management side as the company has gone public.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proud to work here

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Twitter has a friendly and cooperative culture. This reflects on both the corporate level (emphasizing partnerships over competition) and the individual level (a collegial and friendly work atmosphere). I enjoy coming to work every day because I know that I am making the world a better place and not at the expense of others.

Twitter also treats users with the greatest respect, going to great lengths to protect their voice, privacy, and dignity. This constrasts greatly with many other social media companies which try to push boundaries as much as possible over their own users' objections.

Cons

Twitter is experiencing many growing pains. The software engineering organizations has not yet adapted to the massive influx of engineers.

When Google went public they strayed from the original spirit of "Don't be evil", which was already a low bar to begin with. We should keep holding ourselves to a higher bar and strive to "Be good", especially now that we are under pressure from shareholders.

DREAM JOB

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down this is the BEST place I've ever worked. Twitter allows for personal growth as well as career growth. The greatness of the company is found in the caliber of the people that work there. Everyone is insanely smart and humble.

Cons

The company is getting a big big....

Chaotic and energetic

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good engineering-driven culture with plenty of smart, energetic people who are eager to do great things. Company culture is surprisingly mature and driven, with a strong focus on the customer and the employees.

Cons

The company is growing fast and has plenty of technical debt. It can be chaotic at times, and occasionally frustrating. Leadership changes are frequent and brutal. All of this, though, doesn't affect the day-to-day of most engineers, as far as I can tell.

Some good, some bad.

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food. There are talks, meet-ups, and internal education. They make employees comfortable without being ridiculous about it. They allow plenty of flexible time and a pretty good work-life balance. For the most part, people who work a lot do so because they really enjoy what they do. When it's good, it's very good.

Cons

There is almost no diversity in engineering. This is not just about the ratios of men to women, white/asian to others, young to old, but also about mindset and background. The hiring process and the promotion process are geared to further homogenize the staff. The label "twentitled" is very often deserved, and the arrogance of the engineers is astounding. They believe that they are the best simply for being hired at Twitter. They are often unwilling to be helpful, unwilling to listen to other ideas, and certainly unbelieving that anyone different from them is of value.

Rather than saying "hire/promote more women", search for the root of why women, older people, non-white people are not comfortable in the culture you have created.

inconsistent management, victim of a bad acquisition

I have been working at Twitter for more than 3 years

Pros

strong brand, good food, nice workplace

Cons

twitter is a circus. it's still trying to find its identity. lots of politics. it's run by ex-googlers who favorite each other.

stop fixating on user growth and make the product better.

Leadership vacuum with no clear long term strategy

I worked at Twitter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some brilliant people working there, great product but niche audience, great food.

Cons

Management churn and recent hires from bigger companies creating a very bureaucratic and political environment. Company is losing its entrepreneurial edge and people because of this . Would advise others who want to be in social media to join a company with a stronger business model and less politics.

Simplify the product and have faith in the people you have on staff versus looking for outside folks to bring the answers to your gaps in strategy.

Very good so far

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, in many ways like Google at ~2004-2005 - but, fortunately, more relaxed. There is enough "green field" work, though less than 16 months ago when I joined. People are pretty energetic and motivated, but, fortunately, not up to the point of being aggressive or creating hierarchical cults. The overall culture is still in many ways engineer-driven. There is free food (very good) and even free beer :) Vacation policy is more or less "get as much as you need, provided it's ok with your manager". There is a free shuttle to the Bay Area... and, oh, yes - the IPO worked very well for employees, as far as I can tell.

Cons

It's difficult to find high-quality engineers and especially managers these days. I feel like the two managers added recently to my extended group are not extremely technically sharp. Also, I feel like occasionally the management in different parts of the company is unable to make a firm decision in one area or another, and lets things drag on their own for too long.

Don't lower the hiring bar. And encourage or even force competent managers to be more decisive. Some solution is usually better than no solution, and broken windows that stay broken for months aren't great.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!