Twitter Reviews

Reset
4.2
Twitter Interim CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • I work with incredibly smart people and we are all driven to make the company awesome (in 24 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• San Francisco is too crowded and not so easy for life (not safe) (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Clear communication from the Execs, Empowering Culture, Motivational Mission

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

You work with a platform that is connecting people everyday to the world, letting voices be heard, sparking revolutions and democratising the world at large. If that doesn't motivate you - chances are very few things will :) The culture is empowering - You are the master of what you want to create here and the company stands behind you for support. Leadership is very transparent and approachable. I've worked in two big global companies before and the level of transparency here is my favourite thing.

Cons

We're still figuring some things out so things are constantly evolving. If that's not something someone is comfortable with then I can see how that might be a problem for them.

Twitter Response

Jul 15, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate it. We routinely share our employee comments via Glassdoor with our leadership team so they have better insights into concerns and areas for ... More

2. Brilliant, Hardworking, and Helpful Coworkers

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The quality of the engineers and PMs that you interact with daily are really what makes Twitter so awesome. Great people build great infrastructure which frees everybody up to work on more impactful and interesting projects rather than endlessly debugging issues. Also, working with talented engineers ensures that you're learning something new every day which makes career grow a natural consequence of the job.

Cons

It's hard work and there is a lot of pressure on all the employees to deliver products on short timelines, it's sometimes hard to strike an appropriate work-life balance. Also, the constant stream of new product asks have pushed back efforts on paying down technical debt. A number of the acquisitions we have made were not worth the exorbitant sums we paid for them, IMO.

Advice to Management

Would like to see Jack have a much more public presence, he's a cool guy and can do a lot to promote twitter.

3. Don't believe the BS, this is a company with huge opportunities

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It's one of the few companies that really touches a huge number of regular people on a global scale. So much has been made of its user base vs Facebook, but if you've got 300+ million people using your product, you're doing *something* right. Every week, we hear scores of news stories about how Twitter played a part in changing something, helping people recognize some truth, or just help people have fun. People here are smart, but also relatable and compassionate. I've been at other big tech companies that had super-smart people, but they were much more unapproachable or prone to hole up in their work and not socialize. After DickC's departure, management seems to have really rallied around one another, which in my view is 100 percent attributable to Jack's leadership and moral authority. Management leveled out expectations with Wall Street after Q2, which caused short term pain but gives us runway to succeed in the long term. And yes, the food is awesome.

Cons

- Changing the external meme will take time and hard work. Don't come here if you just want to rest and vest. - This is a very mission-driven place. If you're not all in on the mission, the work may not be what you're looking for.

Advice to Management

#keepjack

5. Like no place I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could go on for a while about why Twitter is a great to work, I feel as though all of my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it. The pay is great, the perks are great, the tech and people are great and the food is amazing. :-) It's just great.

Cons

Large company. Offices are usually in the city so if you live outside the city get ready for the commute.

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love it here. People are very sharp, really nice, and believe in the product.

Cons

Things are challenging right now. Lots of turnover so its wearing on some people, unfortunately

7. Localization Project Manager

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great food, people are generally nice

Cons

Product organization is chaotic and unstable

8. No cogs here!

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like being a cog in a larger machine, then steer clear of Twitter/TellApart. This is one of the few places where I've been able to ramp insanely fast in terms of impact and responsibility. There are different challenges every day and plenty of opportunities for me to give feedback into Twitter/TellApart's future products and processes. The team is the best I have ever worked with...full stop. TellApart's bar for new hires is extremely high, but that has made the environment extremely positive. There have been plenty of blog posts regarding Twitter's "morale problem" but it's generally overblown. There are also too many perks to mention. In general, we are VERY well taken care of.

Cons

There have been quite a few shake-ups in senior management, but for the most part this hasn't affected my day-to-day. I am still optimistic about Twitter's future. Twitter/TellApart is not a place for people that need to be told what to do everyday. You should consider Twitter/TellApart if you lean more towards "asking forgiveness rather than permission" mindset. If you're coming from a start-up, you will feel a loss of nimbleness coming into a larger, publicly traded company.

Advice to Management

Delegate more; Continue to be transparent and show us what's succeeding/failing on the product side; Message more that failure is OK as long as we are iterating quickly and taking away some learnings.

9. Great place to work at!!

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

1. robust working environment 2. helpful and collaborative teammates 3. great food and fun intern events 4. transparency in management

Cons

summer at SF is much colder than expected

10. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The food is so good!! I always feel like there is room to learn and grow, and new things to be done

Cons

I love Twitter so much I referred my friend, and they rejected him :( :(

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The food is amazing! The workplace situation is very friendly.

Cons

The company is in a transitive state right now, so a lot of change is happening.

Twitter Response

Aug 12, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for sharing! So glad its been such a great experience for you!

RSS Feed </> Embed