Twitter

Updated January 26, 2015
4.0

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 24 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Free food and unlimited vacation time

Cons

Need more of a challenge

Fantastic place to intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time off, mentorship availabilities are fantastic. Food is out of the world, and pay is pretty decent. I was able to pick my own project, which doesn't happen at every company.

Cons

The onboarding process is painfully slow. Watch out for a fair amount of corporate speak, etc. I get the sense that many people are drinking the Kool-Aid maybe a bit too much.

An unparalleled environment that is supportive, creative, and values-driven

Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My direct team is first class—I really don't think there's another company with a stronger department than ours. As a result, my colleagues are incredibly innovative, collaborative, and fun. I learn something new every day, and my manager is an incredible advocate on my behalf. I see Twitter's core values acted upon frequently, and I really believe the company operates with incredible integrity. The compensation and perks are wonderful—and though my work/life balance occasionally teeters against my favor—my workload is generally respected. I am incredibly optimistic about our future—and I strongly believe I can be at Twitter for a long time, as inter-department and office transfer is strongly supported.

Leadership constantly stresses the importance of the employees—their contributions are highlighted, and I get the sense that our satisfaction is paramount. It's really easy to do your best work here.

Cons

I feel like any "cons" at Twitter are nit-picking. As the company grows, it's harder to find the information you need (though they're working on that), or the people with whom you need to speak. The rapid pace of the business means we make mistakes that we don't always own up to externally, even though we'd like to. Internal critiques can be occasionally be brutal, and externally we're an easy target for the media (it can be tough to ignore). Engineering and Product teams seem to have a less positive experience than those in the Revenue group, though I'm really hopeful that will change now that leadership is secure.

Our internal transparency and candor is one of the most special things about Twitter. Please continue to support it, both conceptually and by investing in tools that enable it. Please continue to reduce politics within the Engineering and product organization. And most importantly, please support meaningful change over incremental tweaks.

Great culture, benefits and team mates, but sub-par middle management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

its in SF; top management is solid; high growth; High market awareness; strong culture of transparency

Cons

lacks objective based management; getting bureaucratic; still working through plans for career management; political battles are rising

think big; find the rockstars and start empowering them

I love working here. Great culture, opportunities and benefits

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

I have been at Twitter for about a year and a half and it's been awesome. I've been afforded increasing professional development opportunities over the course of my time, and have been consistently impressed by the awesome benefits - no accrued vacation, great healthcare etc, lots of visiting VIPs and more.

The culture is also great. Twitter has done a good job of maintaining a startup-eque vibe despite being 3000+ people. That really comes across in the day-to-day: having random conversations over lunch, or at the themed happy hours where people are super friendly and welcoming. Transparency is also important and respected.

In my opinion, Twitter has a really bright future and it's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time

Love working at Twitter

Current Employee - Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

Really enjoying working at Twitter. Great benefits, interesting work, excellent colleagues.

Cons

Career advancement path unclear, though management is concretizing a plan.

Great company to work and grow with

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Yes, the perks are great, but whats even better is having the opportunity to learn and grow with an organization that is literally going where no company has gone before. Yes, this job is hard, but you are pushed to learn and grow in ways you never thought you could - which is the best perk of all.

Cons

Company is in its growing stage - moving out of that start up culture is difficult at first but I am sure it will pay off in the end.

Best company I've worked for - with some caveats

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While not exactly an old-timer, I did enter more or less at the bottom of a hypergrowth stage. 1000 or so employees to 3k+ and also had the good fortune of being here a good time before and after the IPO.

- Being paid much better than my previous Fortune 100 employer.
    - My team is experienced, professional, and cares about the company's success.
    - Management is generally approachable, but be sure you ask for their time with a purpose in mind.
    - Lots of opportunity if you reach for it - it won't be handed to you.
    - Office perks are great.
    - It's taking us a while, but recent vision and strategy alignment is coming together.

I also disagree with a previous reviewer's claim that "the women's organizations within Twitter carry no real weight at the company" and the claim of systemic anti-women culture. I've rarely observed the behaviors described and the internal numbers about promotions simply don't tell the same story this reviewer describes. Additionally, the women's groups here have exceptional company support and are afforded the opportunity to hold events and host speakers (sometimes quite difficult to achieve at HQ due to limited space). These groups have also given exceptional access to the most senior individuals in the company.

Cons

- Losing a lot of culture through old-timer departures.
    - Management churn at the upper levels is unsettling but not wholly abnormal for a company at this stage. I attribute this to a number bad hires. I believe the current product and engineering heads are a better fit.
    - Company feels much bigger and it's becoming harder to get work noticed.
    - Entrepreneurial spirit is dwindling as Hackweeks only occur 2x per year now and folks don't have confidence they could ship their bigger bets or moonshots.
    - Power is concentrated with a few choice folks and groups. Not unusual for any company, but it can be arduous to break through.
    - However, renewed commitment to broken windows and bug fixing is a necessary annoyance.
    - We've likely overgrown and the recent headcount trimming isn't sitting well with folks, though I think it was necessary contraction.

- Stable teams are important.
    - Isolate teams of exceptional people to incubate moonshots.
    - Don't change on a dime because there are a number of folks leaving and berating the company.

Love it there

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Talented people. Open to change.

Cons

Some technical debt. Some pessimist voices.

Great Company, Great People

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and work atmosphere.

Cons

none cons to report at this time.

keep a focus on employee's happyness.