Twitter

Updated November 18, 2014
4.2

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 22 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 13 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company overall, but recent churn is disturbing

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Great company to work for. Perks are amazing. Challenging work. Smart people. It's a well oiled machine for a company of its size and has been working to address the *systematic* internal issues (eg developer productivity). Overall it's hard to beat.

Cons

The company has been bleeding culture as the old timers leave and the hiring process is slanted towards what have been described fairly accurately as "worker bees from Google." In general, I saw my newer coworkers were smarter but less fun than the older ones.

Recently there has been a lot of turnover at the company in what is basically a systematic sweeping of house as they look for people internally who aren't up to par. This is concerning even for those above this bar, although I can understand that it may make the company stronger long-term.

Not enough upward mobility. Promotion/feedback process can be gamed.

Recognize that passion and personality matter.

Having a great time @Twitter

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Really smart people and tons of challenging projects.
    - Feel energized to go to work in the morning - since my work can have a big impact on the world.
    - Really good compensation/benefits.
    - Tons of learning opportunities in Engineering.

Cons

Since Twitter is now expanding really fast, there are some growing pains like any other company would face. There have been some reorganizations towards that end, but everyone here is fully committed to ensuring the long-term success of Twitter.

The senior management is doing a great job - ensuring that the company provides a great platform to its users. I have to say - keep up the great work !

Overall a great experience, ups and downs along the way.

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

Culture is great for the most part.

Cons

Side effects of a growing company are tough. Not the small startup it used to be.

Just trying to vest at this point

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Free food is amazing
    -Awesome opportunities like Hillary Clinton stopping by
    -Working on a product that is exciting
    -Nice facilities
    -Great Holiday parties and social gatherings
    -Lots of amazing people
    -Looks great on your resume (I hope)

Cons

There are far too many reorgs. Lots of XGooglers and XSalesforce who hire each other and give each other higher salaries/titles than those who have Twitter experience. I seen far too many managers who have never managed a team and should never be managing a team. Do you want a 26 yo who got the managing gig by drinking beer with their boss to be in charge of your career and growth? Promotion process is based on politics and favoritism doesn't matter how many fires you put out at 3am while your coworker is on PTO, if they're friends with the boss, you're never getting noticed. Lots of managers just refer friends to each other's team. The unlimited PTO policy really varies from mgr to mgr but basically you're probably going to feel too guilty to ever take PTO anyway. Not many women in higher/leadership positions.

Please give a damn about your employees.

software engineer intern at Twitter

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

talented people, good food, nice work environment

Cons

San Francisco is too crowded and not so easy for life (not safe)

Women beware

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are amazing including the food, unlimited PTO, medical/dental/vision, gym reimbursement, celebrity visits, and overall compensation package. Unfortunately these perks make for a glossy exterior trying to compensate for the rotting core.

Cons

Work life balance is frowned upon. If you're not in the office late into the evening and answering emails on the weekend you're not working hard enough.

Good luck trying to focus in one of the worst open floor plan offices I have ever worked in. Row after row of bench style desks where stretching your arms might mean an awkward apology to the coworkers sitting on either side of you less than 3 feet away. They typically cram 50-100 people in a given area with no barriers, not even half walls, so you spend the majority of your working day trying to drown out the distractions.

Management is unprofessional and frequently in a position just one level higher than they should be. There is no coherent vision for the company except ignore what's best for the users if it means money can be made.

Finally, there's a reason why Twitter reported the worst representation of women in technical roles (90% male, 10% female). This place is a brogrammer haven. As a woman your faced with a culture that screams petulant college bro from the first day you walk through the doors. Women are frequently given work of lesser importance, have their ideas attributed their male colleagues, are passed up for promotions, and generally made to feel unwelcome. To top it off the women's organizations within Twitter carry no real weight at the company. They are open to all employees so women don't have a safe place to talk about the serious issues facing them without it being made into some kind of joke by male engineers or used against them later.

Stop driving out the talented managers you have and promoting the incompetent ones left behind. Also actions speak louder than words, you need to do something substantive if you want to keep the diminishing pool of technical women you have let alone attract new ones.

a lot of re-orgs, a destroyed company culture.

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people in the company. People used to think about the company and the product. Lately this changed a lot. These days it is more important to play politics. People care about the product less. Instead, they care about their team and personal future career.

Cons

People are constantly scared to get fired, no long term plans etc. Many teams don't even know what will happen in next quarter. Currently, it is full of chaos. It was clearly not the case a year ago. Politics play a lot of role these days in many decisions. a lot of power games. We used to constantly think about the company and always used the word "we". These days it is always "they" for other teams or "us" for your team.

Please decide what to do soon and let people focus on their work.

Awesome company, certain departments not so much

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has great food. Work from Home whenever you want. Practically no meetings.

Cons

Reviewboard is an absolute mess. Getting shipits is a huge hassle. Constant fights on Scala style issues. Too many proprietary packages. No lateral transfers.

Things can be shipped 100x faster if you put an end to the constant hazing on reviewboard.

bad culture, bad engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

okay perks, good salary, some interesting work

Cons

leadership is bad. culture is very weird - I was in one of the hardest working teams, but on average people worked 40 hours a week and a great deal of that was spent not actually working. very easy to see why the company is struggling to increase profits because under-achieving people are paid high salaries to barely work. the engineers are not smart (I do not understand why so many people say their bar is high) and not all that fun to work with.

do not hand down solutions to engineers. let them engineer. figure out your plan and stick to it. don't let personal problems (or your over-inflated ego) push good employees out of the company (that one is directed at Costolo).

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Remote, OR

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Shipped production code, learned a ton from super competent engineers. Great work culture.

Cons

Getting up to speed on the project was mostly left to me. I ended up catching on, but if I hadb;t been prepared to really work long and hard I could have been in trouble.