Twitter Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
4.3

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 22 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 13 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company, certain departments not so much

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has great food. Work from Home whenever you want. Practically no meetings.

Cons

Reviewboard is an absolute mess. Getting shipits is a huge hassle. Constant fights on Scala style issues. Too many proprietary packages. No lateral transfers.

Things can be shipped 100x faster if you put an end to the constant hazing on reviewboard.

software engineer intern at Twitter

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

talented people, good food, nice work environment

Cons

San Francisco is too crowded and not so easy for life (not safe)

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Remote, OR

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Shipped production code, learned a ton from super competent engineers. Great work culture.

Cons

Getting up to speed on the project was mostly left to me. I ended up catching on, but if I hadb;t been prepared to really work long and hard I could have been in trouble.

Amazing people, rapidly growing product, fulfilling work

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Strong growth provided momentum
    - Your work impacts hundreds of millions of users
    - Work along side brilliant people

Cons

- Too many layers of management
    - Questionable high level strategy

a lot of re-orgs, a destroyed company culture.

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people in the company. People used to think about the company and the product. Lately this changed a lot. These days it is more important to play politics. People care about the product less. Instead, they care about their team and personal future career.

Cons

People are constantly scared to get fired, no long term plans etc. Many teams don't even know what will happen in next quarter. Currently, it is full of chaos. It was clearly not the case a year ago. Politics play a lot of role these days in many decisions. a lot of power games. We used to constantly think about the company and always used the word "we". These days it is always "they" for other teams or "us" for your team.

Please decide what to do soon and let people focus on their work.

great people but something is off with management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great peers and there are many perks around the office such as free meals and famous people stopping by for talks.

Cons

The management seems off, I guess they are running trying to fix a lagging user retention by doing whatever they can.

Although they talk about training and hack week, this was hard to get and frowned on by management. Training is not supported by management.

Motivating culture, great perks, demanding

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's rare to work in an environment where you're surrounded by so many people who care deeply about their job and the product they are supporting. There's very little ego here - the few that exhibit it stand out. It's a collaborative environment full of passionate people. No one punches in and punches out, everyone works until they get it done and also finds time to take a break and enjoy a drink in the commons or a chat in the halls

Cons

Normal growing pains. Too many places that house information and a constantly growing workforce causes some minor frustrations.

Those who were appropriate for their role when the company was small are not necessarily appropriate for leadership at this stage.

Some good, some bad.

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food. There are talks, meet-ups, and internal education. They make employees comfortable without being ridiculous about it. They allow plenty of flexible time and a pretty good work-life balance. For the most part, people who work a lot do so because they really enjoy what they do. When it's good, it's very good.

Cons

There is almost no diversity in engineering. This is not just about the ratios of men to women, white/asian to others, young to old, but also about mindset and background. The hiring process and the promotion process are geared to further homogenize the staff. The label "twentitled" is very often deserved, and the arrogance of the engineers is astounding. They believe that they are the best simply for being hired at Twitter. They are often unwilling to be helpful, unwilling to listen to other ideas, and certainly unbelieving that anyone different from them is of value.

Rather than saying "hire/promote more women", search for the root of why women, older people, non-white people are not comfortable in the culture you have created.

Great engineers, awesome culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are a little obscene, in a good way. Particularly in the SF office. The engineers you'll find are some of the best I've seen anywhere. Great blend of startup "get stuff done" culture and theoretic rigor. Getting to work on a product that changes the world is as compelling as it sounds.

Cons

Some growing pains in the management side as the company has gone public.

Proud to work here

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Twitter has a friendly and cooperative culture. This reflects on both the corporate level (emphasizing partnerships over competition) and the individual level (a collegial and friendly work atmosphere). I enjoy coming to work every day because I know that I am making the world a better place and not at the expense of others.

Twitter also treats users with the greatest respect, going to great lengths to protect their voice, privacy, and dignity. This constrasts greatly with many other social media companies which try to push boundaries as much as possible over their own users' objections.

Cons

Twitter is experiencing many growing pains. The software engineering organizations has not yet adapted to the massive influx of engineers.

When Google went public they strayed from the original spirit of "Don't be evil", which was already a low bar to begin with. We should keep holding ourselves to a higher bar and strive to "Be good", especially now that we are under pressure from shareholders.