Twitter

Updated December 18, 2014
4.1

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 24 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

An unparalleled environment that is supportive, creative, and values-driven

Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My direct team is first class—I really don't think there's another company with a stronger department than ours. As a result, my colleagues are incredibly innovative, collaborative, and fun. I learn something new every day, and my manager is an incredible advocate on my behalf. I see Twitter's core values acted upon frequently, and I really believe the company operates with incredible integrity. The compensation and perks are wonderful—and though my work/life balance occasionally teeters against my favor—my workload is generally respected. I am incredibly optimistic about our future—and I strongly believe I can be at Twitter for a long time, as inter-department and office transfer is strongly supported.

Leadership constantly stresses the importance of the employees—their contributions are highlighted, and I get the sense that our satisfaction is paramount. It's really easy to do your best work here.

Cons

I feel like any "cons" at Twitter are nit-picking. As the company grows, it's harder to find the information you need (though they're working on that), or the people with whom you need to speak. The rapid pace of the business means we make mistakes that we don't always own up to externally, even though we'd like to. Internal critiques can be occasionally be brutal, and externally we're an easy target for the media (it can be tough to ignore). Engineering and Product teams seem to have a less positive experience than those in the Revenue group, though I'm really hopeful that will change now that leadership is secure.

Our internal transparency and candor is one of the most special things about Twitter. Please continue to support it, both conceptually and by investing in tools that enable it. Please continue to reduce politics within the Engineering and product organization. And most importantly, please support meaningful change over incremental tweaks.

Great company to work and grow with

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yes, the perks are great, but whats even better is having the opportunity to learn and grow with an organization that is literally going where no company has gone before. Yes, this job is hard, but you are pushed to learn and grow in ways you never thought you could - which is the best perk of all.

Cons

Company is in its growing stage - moving out of that start up culture is difficult at first but I am sure it will pay off in the end.

I love working here. Great culture, opportunities and benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

I have been at Twitter for about a year and a half and it's been awesome. I've been afforded increasing professional development opportunities over the course of my time, and have been consistently impressed by the awesome benefits - no accrued vacation, great healthcare etc, lots of visiting VIPs and more.

The culture is also great. Twitter has done a good job of maintaining a startup-eque vibe despite being 3000+ people. That really comes across in the day-to-day: having random conversations over lunch, or at the themed happy hours where people are super friendly and welcoming. Transparency is also important and respected.

In my opinion, Twitter has a really bright future and it's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time

Love it there

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission. Talented people. Open to change.

Cons

Some technical debt. Some pessimist voices.

Best company I've worked for - with some caveats

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While not exactly an old-timer, I did enter more or less at the bottom of a hypergrowth stage. 1000 or so employees to 3k+ and also had the good fortune of being here a good time before and after the IPO.

- Being paid much better than my previous Fortune 100 employer.
    - My team is experienced, professional, and cares about the company's success.
    - Management is generally approachable, but be sure you ask for their time with a purpose in mind.
    - Lots of opportunity if you reach for it - it won't be handed to you.
    - Office perks are great.
    - It's taking us a while, but recent vision and strategy alignment is coming together.

I also disagree with a previous reviewer's claim that "the women's organizations within Twitter carry no real weight at the company" and the claim of systemic anti-women culture. I've rarely observed the behaviors described and the internal numbers about promotions simply don't tell the same story this reviewer describes. Additionally, the women's groups here have exceptional company support and are afforded the opportunity to hold events and host speakers (sometimes quite difficult to achieve at HQ due to limited space). These groups have also given exceptional access to the most senior individuals in the company.

Cons

- Losing a lot of culture through old-timer departures.
    - Management churn at the upper levels is unsettling but not wholly abnormal for a company at this stage. I attribute this to a number bad hires. I believe the current product and engineering heads are a better fit.
    - Company feels much bigger and it's becoming harder to get work noticed.
    - Entrepreneurial spirit is dwindling as Hackweeks only occur 2x per year now and folks don't have confidence they could ship their bigger bets or moonshots.
    - Power is concentrated with a few choice folks and groups. Not unusual for any company, but it can be arduous to break through.
    - However, renewed commitment to broken windows and bug fixing is a necessary annoyance.
    - We've likely overgrown and the recent headcount trimming isn't sitting well with folks, though I think it was necessary contraction.

- Stable teams are important.
    - Isolate teams of exceptional people to incubate moonshots.
    - Don't change on a dime because there are a number of folks leaving and berating the company.

Great Company, Great People

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and work atmosphere.

Cons

none cons to report at this time.

keep a focus on employee's happyness.

Great company overall, but recent churn is disturbing

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Great company to work for. Perks are amazing. Challenging work. Smart people. It's a well oiled machine for a company of its size and has been working to address the *systematic* internal issues (eg developer productivity). Overall it's hard to beat.

Cons

The company has been bleeding culture as the old timers leave and the hiring process is slanted towards what have been described fairly accurately as "worker bees from Google." In general, I saw my newer coworkers were smarter but less fun than the older ones.

Recently there has been a lot of turnover at the company in what is basically a systematic sweeping of house as they look for people internally who aren't up to par. This is concerning even for those above this bar, although I can understand that it may make the company stronger long-term.

Not enough upward mobility. Promotion/feedback process can be gamed.

Recognize that passion and personality matter.

Good intentions, but needs more direction

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good here. Everyone is lax about time off and hours. Perks are among the better in the region. Training program is very effective. Well run company all-hands meetings. There are a lot of documented company values, so you can find a few to identify with. Upper management realize change is needed, both in paying down technical debt and also improving employee satisfaction.

Cons

It is often hard to follow the connection between engineering and what the company is doing, particularly recently as there has been a lot of turn-over.

Most of software components are custom, operate on custom runtimes, and written in Scala. This means little opportunity to bring existing experience with you, and a frustrating learning curve, as internal tools are often complicated.

Even if there are some very talented staff here, there are many inexperienced or old guard who control or create processes. This surfaces as rules and tools that feel dated vs other tech companies.

There is a focus and perception that engineering is done one-way and in one place, but things are done many ways in many places.

Take a holistic view of how things operate. Focus on technical debt is good, but vision and direction makes the difference between making things better, and competitive with other companies, vs digging a deeper hole.

Try permitting or even promoting teams to run their software projects in the most modern and effective way, regardless of status quo or what's considered modern by senior staff at Twitter. Officially free them from having to use the tools developed in house. Don't let "freedom to do things how you choose" stay the hidden secret of effective teams, or only permitted via acquisitions.

Those making decisions that affect teams and productivity need to understand their choices have high impact, and should be measured as such. Changes should make Twitter better than other companies, not just better than Twitter. Thrashing upper management isn't necessarily the solution.

Having a great time @Twitter

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Really smart people and tons of challenging projects.
    - Feel energized to go to work in the morning - since my work can have a big impact on the world.
    - Really good compensation/benefits.
    - Tons of learning opportunities in Engineering.

Cons

Since Twitter is now expanding really fast, there are some growing pains like any other company would face. There have been some reorganizations towards that end, but everyone here is fully committed to ensuring the long-term success of Twitter.

The senior management is doing a great job - ensuring that the company provides a great platform to its users. I have to say - keep up the great work !

Just trying to vest at this point

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Free food is amazing
    -Awesome opportunities like Hillary Clinton stopping by
    -Working on a product that is exciting
    -Nice facilities
    -Great Holiday parties and social gatherings
    -Lots of amazing people
    -Looks great on your resume (I hope)

Cons

There are far too many reorgs. Lots of XGooglers and XSalesforce who hire each other and give each other higher salaries/titles than those who have Twitter experience. I seen far too many managers who have never managed a team and should never be managing a team. Do you want a 26 yo who got the managing gig by drinking beer with their boss to be in charge of your career and growth? Promotion process is based on politics and favoritism doesn't matter how many fires you put out at 3am while your coworker is on PTO, if they're friends with the boss, you're never getting noticed. Lots of managers just refer friends to each other's team. The unlimited PTO policy really varies from mgr to mgr but basically you're probably going to feel too guilty to ever take PTO anyway. Not many women in higher/leadership positions.

Please give a damn about your employees.