Twitter

Updated February 23, 2015
4.1

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 24 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

World-changing platform, people, and opportunities.

Current Employee - Data Scientist
    Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Giant aspirations for changing the world combined with a high likelihood of achieving them. Executing on a vast number of initiatives simultaneously, and succeeding. The employee benefits are excellent, the compensation competitive, and the opportunities for movement within the organization is incredibly high; very little friction to following your passion somewhere else within the org.

Cons

The organization has grown quickly and there are pockets of people who are reluctant to change and progress with the company. There is quite a distribution of work ethic across the org, and an unfortunate sense of entitlement in a portion of people. These are the same issues that I've experienced at every company; they're just universal truths of companies that grow.

Resist calcification by processes and formalism; maintain the minimum set of rules and policies we can get by with. Stay true to the company's core values and ignore the whims of the press. Stay in touch with your reports and their reports; the people doing the work will provide the best view of what's happening.

Clear communication from the Execs, Empowering Culture, Motivational Mission

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

You work with a platform that is connecting people everyday to the world, letting voices be heard, sparking revolutions and democratising the world at large. If that doesn't motivate you - chances are very few things will :)

The culture is empowering - You are the master of what you want to create here and the company stands behind you for support.

Leadership is very transparent and approachable. I've worked in two big global companies before and the level of transparency here is my favourite thing.

Cons

We're still figuring some things out so things are constantly evolving. If that's not something someone is comfortable with then I can see how that might be a problem for them.

Fast-paced, high energy environment with amazing coworkers

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, extremely smart and competent coworkers, fun and laid-back office and culture. There's a great sense of community within the company, and a lot of excitement about where the company is going. Food is ridiculously good. Hacking on things and developing skills in the things that interest you are strongly encouraged.

A lot is changing, and for the better. Definitely on an upward trajectory.

Cons

No desserts during lunch. Voluntary sacrifice of work/life balance.

Keep up the great momentum of positive change.

Growing pains

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

-base salary and RSUs are competitive
    -most everyone are highly qualified and are trying to do their best work
    -standard silicon valley tech perks: fitness, food, beer/wine, VIP visits
    -lots of courses to improve tech or soft skills
    -improv classes!!
    -management tries to be transparent to the whole company

Cons

- since company isn't GAAP profitable many ancillary benefits aren't up to the level of Google or Facebook. 401K is an easy example. shuttle bus routes are limited and buses can be unreliable....3 breakdowns in one day even.
    - culture and bureaucracy is slightly changing with the number of employees skyrocketing from ~2000 to ~3500 in the past two years.
    - There have been many re-orgs in the engineering Org recently. This brings a sense of uncertainty to some.
    - feedback and comp systems and procedures go through constant change every six months. Hopefully they will settle on one system and schedule soon.

- talk is talk, follow through on past promises
    - make sure managers are actually have good soft skills and can manage a team effectively

best place where to work! value of people, high energy!

Current Employee - User Researcher in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - User Researcher in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

people, culture, energy, respect for talents,

Cons

there are no cons, really!

Fast paced, startup-like feel with big-company resources and perks

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really like how Twitter focuses on transparency and has a small company feel. Frequent all-hands meetings bring everyone together around our common goals. Everyone is helpful and is pumped to make things better. From a tech standpoint, Twitter pushes the industry forward in many areas.

Cons

Have to be able to ignore the noise of working at a public company that gets a lot of attention. Fast paced environment may not be for everyone.

You definitely want to be a member of the flock

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, high-trust, high-respect culture; excellent training/resources; smart, yet down-to-earth team-player co-workers; challenging and rewarding work; incredible benefits like free meals and fitness credit.

Cons

None that I have seen, but I imagine for some coming from larger, traditional environments, the adjustment to a smaller, more innovative culture with less process could potentially be a challenge.

Keep doing what you are doing - Twitter is a great place to work and the current culture should be fiercely protected. Consider implementing more long-term benefits, like performance stock options, bonuses and/or stronger 40(k) matching.

Best place I have ever worked and probably ever will work!

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Twitter is an open, collaborative, innovative culture of smart people doing impactful things. Our products impact hundreds of millions of people around the world, and it is a really excellent place to work.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons to working at Twitter. I am just writing this to fill the 20 word minimum that Glassdoor requires of all reviews, but Twitter is honestly a great place to work.

Best Company Culture of My Career, Hands Down!

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have purpose in what I'm doing. I can connect the dots from my work to the company's overall objectives. Our executives are open, honest, transparent...and well, just cool people doing cool things in and out of work.

Cons

Very fast paced, but once you get the hang of it, it is invigorating.

They are on the right track on all fronts. I believe in them, the vision, and their leadership. This is the experience of a lifetime for anyone who considers working at Twitter. This is the place to be!

Growing, exciting company.

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Twitter is a growing public company with a lot potential. Being in the social media sphere, it's a high energy company with a lot of media coverage and attention.

Cons

The company still has growing pains and struggles to define itself and it's internal processes.

Hire more people with balanced skill sets and good attitudes, then hold on to them.