Twitter Reviews

258 reviews filtered by
4.2
Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 24 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Clear communication from the Execs, Empowering Culture, Motivational Mission

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

You work with a platform that is connecting people everyday to the world, letting voices be heard, sparking revolutions and democratising the world at large. If that doesn't motivate you - chances are very few things will :)

The culture is empowering - You are the master of what you want to create here and the company stands behind you for support.

Leadership is very transparent and approachable. I've worked in two big global companies before and the level of transparency here is my favourite thing.

Cons

We're still figuring some things out so things are constantly evolving. If that's not something someone is comfortable with then I can see how that might be a problem for them.

2. Young, fun and smart people

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Transparent internally. Competitive salary. Great amenities in office including cross fit, yoga, free meals. Excellent culture, compared to my old employer - also a mid-size tech company. Very smart people and great product. I would never consider working at a Facebook or Google. I see myself here the next couple years, still a lot of changes and growth in the products.

Cons

No longer a startup. Product roadmap messaging is not consistent from execs. Company is at a size now that individual contributors are not as important.

Share a product roadmap quarterly. Encourage intelligent debate. Always hire the best.

3. job at twitter

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

excellent comp and work life balance

Cons

no cons so far in my past 2 years

none so far in my past 2 years

5. Great company - Great people

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are top notch and willing to collaborate across teams. The IT is very competent and gets things done. The company has great vision and communicates it well. Everyone is approachable, including the top execs.

Cons

Some product decision making is not very transparent.

Engineering

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

amazing food, good people who want to change the world, perks perks perks

Cons

no real structure among teams, messy longterm vision, poor leadership, no support for women or mothers, demanding hours with no work/life balance and VERY poor compensation.

ship it. management sits on ideas and projects until there is a viable competitor and then have to play catch up which puts stress on everyone.

7. Amazing experience working for a company changing the world, one tweet at a time!

Former Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Company mission, amazing culture, work autonomy, great work-life balance

Cons

Some employees have lost the startup "hustle".

The Company has great growth opportunities in front of it. continue to innovate on product - don't be afraid to go down dark alleys that don't lead to anything (users, revenue, etc.)

World-changing platform, people, and opportunities.

Current Employee - Data Scientist
    Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Giant aspirations for changing the world combined with a high likelihood of achieving them. Executing on a vast number of initiatives simultaneously, and succeeding. The employee benefits are excellent, the compensation competitive, and the opportunities for movement within the organization is incredibly high; very little friction to following your passion somewhere else within the org.

Cons

The organization has grown quickly and there are pockets of people who are reluctant to change and progress with the company. There is quite a distribution of work ethic across the org, and an unfortunate sense of entitlement in a portion of people. These are the same issues that I've experienced at every company; they're just universal truths of companies that grow.

Resist calcification by processes and formalism; maintain the minimum set of rules and policies we can get by with. Stay true to the company's core values and ignore the whims of the press. Stay in touch with your reports and their reports; the people doing the work will provide the best view of what's happening.

Fast-paced, high energy environment with amazing coworkers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, extremely smart and competent coworkers, fun and laid-back office and culture. There's a great sense of community within the company, and a lot of excitement about where the company is going. Food is ridiculously good. Hacking on things and developing skills in the things that interest you are strongly encouraged.

A lot is changing, and for the better. Definitely on an upward trajectory.

Cons

No desserts during lunch. Voluntary sacrifice of work/life balance.

Keep up the great momentum of positive change.

10. Growing pains

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

-base salary and RSUs are competitive
    -most everyone are highly qualified and are trying to do their best work
    -standard silicon valley tech perks: fitness, food, beer/wine, VIP visits
    -lots of courses to improve tech or soft skills
    -improv classes!!
    -management tries to be transparent to the whole company

Cons

- since company isn't GAAP profitable many ancillary benefits aren't up to the level of Google or Facebook. 401K is an easy example. shuttle bus routes are limited and buses can be unreliable....3 breakdowns in one day even.
    - culture and bureaucracy is slightly changing with the number of employees skyrocketing from ~2000 to ~3500 in the past two years.
    - There have been many re-orgs in the engineering Org recently. This brings a sense of uncertainty to some.
    - feedback and comp systems and procedures go through constant change every six months. Hopefully they will settle on one system and schedule soon.

- talk is talk, follow through on past promises
    - make sure managers are actually have good soft skills and can manage a team effectively

You definitely want to be a member of the flock

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, high-trust, high-respect culture; excellent training/resources; smart, yet down-to-earth team-player co-workers; challenging and rewarding work; incredible benefits like free meals and fitness credit.

Cons

None that I have seen, but I imagine for some coming from larger, traditional environments, the adjustment to a smaller, more innovative culture with less process could potentially be a challenge.

Keep doing what you are doing - Twitter is a great place to work and the current culture should be fiercely protected. Consider implementing more long-term benefits, like performance stock options, bonuses and/or stronger 40(k) matching.