Twitter Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
4.4

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was very easy to communicate and get support on what you're working on, as Twitter has a very open workplace. The role obviously varies from team to team, but on my team, I was treated similarly to a new grad full-time. People generally cared about the company, and everyone was exceedingly nice and eager to help.

Cons

Still a relatively new, growing company and sometimes lacks the infrastructure / tools and stability a more mature company might have.

Keep it up, I loved my manager.

THE Best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers. A global organization that feels local in regional markets. Management that inspires you to do your best while providing autonomy. Senior management is extremely transparent. An overall great corporate culture that also provides great benefits to its staff.

Cons

Growing pains that come along with any rapidly growing business. The company is getting very large, which can make it hard for new employees to navigate. That said, Im sure the organization will come out of this phase of its development better than most and continue to be an amazing place to work.

Some good, some bad.

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food. There are talks, meet-ups, and internal education. They make employees comfortable without being ridiculous about it. They allow plenty of flexible time and a pretty good work-life balance. For the most part, people who work a lot do so because they really enjoy what they do. When it's good, it's very good.

Cons

There is almost no diversity in engineering. This is not just about the ratios of men to women, white/asian to others, young to old, but also about mindset and background. The hiring process and the promotion process are geared to further homogenize the staff. The label "twentitled" is very often deserved, and the arrogance of the engineers is astounding. They believe that they are the best simply for being hired at Twitter. They are often unwilling to be helpful, unwilling to listen to other ideas, and certainly unbelieving that anyone different from them is of value.

Rather than saying "hire/promote more women", search for the root of why women, older people, non-white people are not comfortable in the culture you have created.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

Nice culture, everyone respects each other, the benefits are above average as I think.

Cons

The management level changes rapidly

Motivating culture, great perks, demanding

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's rare to work in an environment where you're surrounded by so many people who care deeply about their job and the product they are supporting. There's very little ego here - the few that exhibit it stand out. It's a collaborative environment full of passionate people. No one punches in and punches out, everyone works until they get it done and also finds time to take a break and enjoy a drink in the commons or a chat in the halls

Cons

Normal growing pains. Too many places that house information and a constantly growing workforce causes some minor frustrations.

Those who were appropriate for their role when the company was small are not necessarily appropriate for leadership at this stage.

Different ballgame

Current Employee - Account Strategist  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Strategist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hiring bar is exceptionally high, meaning you're virtually guaranteed to spend your days working with quality colleagues. The culture is superb - the individual is massively valued to the point of hierarchy not ruling your days. The benefits are as good as you could hope (travel, gym, health).

Cons

Almost everyone here is an overachiever, meaning if you stood out in a previous company, you can easily find yourself moved to the middle of the pack.

The flat management structure means that it can sometimes feel like a communal effort, and career progression is not clearly delineated.

inconsistent management, victim of a bad acquisition

I have been working at Twitter for more than 3 years

Pros

strong brand, good food, nice workplace

Cons

twitter is a circus. it's still trying to find its identity. lots of politics. it's run by ex-googlers who favorite each other.

stop fixating on user growth and make the product better.

Proud to work here

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Twitter has a friendly and cooperative culture. This reflects on both the corporate level (emphasizing partnerships over competition) and the individual level (a collegial and friendly work atmosphere). I enjoy coming to work every day because I know that I am making the world a better place and not at the expense of others.

Twitter also treats users with the greatest respect, going to great lengths to protect their voice, privacy, and dignity. This constrasts greatly with many other social media companies which try to push boundaries as much as possible over their own users' objections.

Cons

Twitter is experiencing many growing pains. The software engineering organizations has not yet adapted to the massive influx of engineers.

When Google went public they strayed from the original spirit of "Don't be evil", which was already a low bar to begin with. We should keep holding ourselves to a higher bar and strive to "Be good", especially now that we are under pressure from shareholders.

Great engineers, awesome culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

The perks are a little obscene, in a good way. Particularly in the SF office. The engineers you'll find are some of the best I've seen anywhere. Great blend of startup "get stuff done" culture and theoretic rigor. Getting to work on a product that changes the world is as compelling as it sounds.

Cons

Some growing pains in the management side as the company has gone public.

Chaotic and energetic

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good engineering-driven culture with plenty of smart, energetic people who are eager to do great things. Company culture is surprisingly mature and driven, with a strong focus on the customer and the employees.

Cons

The company is growing fast and has plenty of technical debt. It can be chaotic at times, and occasionally frustrating. Leadership changes are frequent and brutal. All of this, though, doesn't affect the day-to-day of most engineers, as far as I can tell.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!