Twitter

Twitter Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo

Dick Costolo

Pros:
  • "Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great work/life balance as well"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat office, great location, great food, smart people.

ConsComplete thrashing on priorities, empire-building, doesn't have good handle on metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally think about what has the most impact. Then, focus and deliver.

Addenda to an earlier review

SRE (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI have nothing to add from my previous comments, but this requires twenty words, so I need to add them.

ConsWorking in SRE has some serious issues. There is an embedded approach -- so one gets one's work assignments and performance assessments from an engineering organization, but promotion/compensation decisions are made by SRE management. It depends on how engaged the SRE management is with the SRE, and some SRE managers are extremely disengaged, or are willing to accept the word of the engineering manager. The engineering manager does not have any incentive to promote the work of the SRE, particularly when the work is a joint project with engineering. Similarly, engineering managers will be more focused on the work of their direct reports, and rightly so.

This makes the entire SRE employee review process capricious. Strong SREs are more readily lost through bad management, and SRE reviews (conducted entirely within SRE management structure) are more prone to second hand information and favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementReverse this structure. If SREs are to be embedded, make their performance evaluations the responsibility of the engineering managers, and make the SRE management consultants to that process, providing expertise in SRE training and skills.

The best company I've ever worked for.

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart, talented people.
    Management chain who share your values and back you up.
    Company that values social good as well as turning a profit.
    Great working environment.

ConsVery little to complain about.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pros & cons abut Twitter

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSenior management is great. Open dialogue & they care about employees, which speaks to following through on their internal values.

ConsLOTS of politics; culture is nothing unique to internet/tech space. Expect to work 6 days/week, real-time platform means dealing with issues whether you're on vacation or watching a game at home on Sunday.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is great at practicing what they preach - thumbs up for CEO Costollo. Work/life balance should be more than having an open beer policy; it should focus on ensuring employees can turn off their computers w/o getting text messages & frantic calls from middle-management.

Meh.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are two pluses to working at Twitter that I think no one would disagree with: 1) the free food is delicious. Lance, in the SF office, is a magician and cooks up great stuff. Really, the whole facilities team is great and they don't get enough credit from senior management on how great a job they are doing 2) it's pretty fun working at a company with such pop culture relevance. Going home at night and seeing something on the news about what happened on Twitter today - that's fun. You'll also see an occasional famous person wandering around the SF office.

ConsThey've gone from a mission-driven company, back when Jack was present in the building, to an ad-driven business. It's less about Twitter being a force for good, or changing the way we communicate, and more about ad revenue and users who can drive up ad revenue. All the news that is deemed exciting is about things like partnerships with obscure ad tech companies that will somehow garner the company more ad revenue or eyeballs on ads. Beyond that somewhat depressing purpose shift internally, there are a few things for candidates to be mindful of:

1) There is a high saturation of ex-Googlers at Twitter. Apologies if you are one of them. These well-meaning people come from a place where they had heated toilet seats, for starters. What they're use to translates into a fairly large entitlement mentality and a relatively singular way of thinking.
    2) The egos are through the roof in the R&D leadership ranks. The Product and Eng orgs are currently led by alpha ex-Googlers. Conversations with them usually go like this: "I can't possibly be wrong so whatever you're saying better align to what I'm saying." This, and #1, may be impacting innovation in a negative way. On that note....
    3) Arguably, the hackweeks are smoke and mirrors. All the great ideas that come from this (very fun, now less frequent) event go immediately in the filing cabinet, with an occasional exception.
    4) The leadership churn at the top is out of control. One hypothesis: as soon as you do well and get within the upper ring, you're now seen by the eye of sauron. If you are a contrarian or the differing voice in the room, you will wither under the intensity of sauron's gaze and either be pushed aside or find yourself outside. Ponder the causation of this, ponder the role the CEO plays, ponder how narcissism correlates to all that, and you might be nearing an understanding of what's happening here.
    5) "Editing teams" - it's hard to believe this was a mantra that actually came out of someone's mouth. Just stating the obvious here: a focus on firing people, as a means to a company being successful, is reprehensible. I'm hopeful this ill-advised philosophy has been dropped.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more diversity in hiring and in the leadership ranks. A female leader (VP level) in the R&D org would be a good start.

Awesome!

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great office, fun product.

ConsRapid growth, some people don't understand the product.

Nice work if you can get it

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFast-paced, growing company. Lots of responsibility to be had early in your career. Smart people who'll help you learn and grow.

ConsNeed to be self-motivated, resourceful to succeed. If something's broken, don't expect someone else will necessarily fix it. Step up and make it better.

Moving fast, growing fast

San Francisco, CA

Pros-The senior leadership are very open and communicate very well to all employees. Whether it's from email, internal quora-like forum, or the every-other-week all hands meeting.
    -The people who work here are all highly intelligent and really want to make Twitter grow.
    -As they have grown and went through some growing pains, there are more processes and structure on how things are done. A good thing.
    -Experimentation is valued
    - things are changing every month
    - great learning system. lots of classes on all technical and soft topics, and people are welcome to signup even if not directly related to your work.
    -onboarding/orientation process great and will be tailored to your job function.
    -standard silicon valley tech benefits and more.

Cons- headcount growing very quickly. Due to this, lots more middle management. Although the org chart is still flatter than at other companies.
    - For those coming from other companies or new-grads, one may feel that there are a lot of meetings. That being said, most of the meetings tend to be pretty efficient and timely...because people may have to go to another meeting
    -since the IPO and ensuing employee stock lockup expiration, people from all levels of the company are leaving.

Great Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly, good values. The benefits are great

ConsThings may be confusing and difficult at first

Awesome place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking with people who are smart and passionate about what they do.

ConsI have no cons so far.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!

Twitter – Why Work for Us?

Twitter helps you create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers. An information network Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest stories, ideas, opinions and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twitter reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Twitter CEO Dick Costolo. All 161 reviews posted anonymously by Twitter employees.