Twitter Reviews

Reset
4.1
Twitter Interim CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • I work with incredibly smart people and we are all driven to make the company awesome (in 24 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• San Francisco is too crowded and not so easy for life (not safe) (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Clear communication from the Execs, Empowering Culture, Motivational Mission

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

You work with a platform that is connecting people everyday to the world, letting voices be heard, sparking revolutions and democratising the world at large. If that doesn't motivate you - chances are very few things will :)

The culture is empowering - You are the master of what you want to create here and the company stands behind you for support.

Leadership is very transparent and approachable. I've worked in two big global companies before and the level of transparency here is my favourite thing.

Cons

We're still figuring some things out so things are constantly evolving. If that's not something someone is comfortable with then I can see how that might be a problem for them.

Joined with hope, left with utter disappointment.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good food.
    - Still have a lot of potential if they can right the wrongs and truly put the right person in charge.

Cons

- Chaotic management and product roadmap.

- Mediocre middle managers who know little about the technical aspects of the team or the projects. Due to constant reorganizations, a lot of the managers are assigned to teams or projects that they have no technical expertise in.

- Lack of product vision. Suffer from extreme short-sightedness to boost MAU and revenue number to satisfies Wall St.. Lurching from crisis to crisis and stuck in a vicious cycle.

- Over-reliance on AB testing to determine which features to launch, sometimes in the expense of user experience. Features launches are delayed due to unfavorable DDG results on certain metrics even when the features are clear improvement for customer experience.

- People are leaving in flocks. Lots of people who joined before IPO, who are truly passionate about what they do and passionate about the company, left because they do not see the company appreciates their contribution and the management in the company have the trust in them.

Advice to Management

- Build a product team that's truly bold, innovate and brave enough to develop game changing features. Stop relying 100% on DDGs and minor improvements.

- Assign the right managers to projects. Hire, and retain, senior and experienced people who have the technical knowledge to lead a project. Stop the constant reorganization. Let the teams grow organically.

- User first! Twitter is a consumer facing company. Think about features that would make them love the product and keeps coming back, not features that would satisfy Wall St.'s next earning expectation.

Jul 1, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. It really helps us to improve the overall employee experience at Twitter. Your comments will be shared with our leadership team (in an anonymous report) to ... More

3. Sr. Technical Recruiter

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, People, Brand, Product are amazing

Cons

Attrition has been higher recently

Jul 1, 2015Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review!

Not what I expected

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Fair pay, perks and learning opportunities.

Cons

Not a very friendly culture. Blown out. People are overworked and disgruntled.

Good company but it might be growing too fast for its own good

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team members who are smart and willing to work hard. The work culture is very inviting and positive.

Cons

Like many up and coming companies, Twitter is trying to figure out its potential. It may take some time and reorgs happen quite often. Many employees also seem entitled, often demanding unreasonable and trivial things from the company rather than focusing on their own job.

Advice to Management

Realize that you have plenty of talents. Help them grow and try your best to keep them. Keep up with being transparent with all your employees.

Jul 1, 2015Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review. We agree there's (always) room for growth. One way we want to facilitate more #LoveWhereYouWork experiences is by sharing reviews like yours with our leadership team ... More

7. Experience

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand and resource to create opportunity

Cons

constant change and management is not confident in plan

Advice to Management

Create better structure

8. Sales team going through growing pains

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to work with highly energetic and ambitious teams is a plus. There are some managers in the org that are fantastic and will take you far, especially if you are still determining your career. There is also the ability to move around internally to different teams to try something new. There is also a good work-life balance and is a good place for people to start families.

Cons

Sales team is in a stage where they are no longer a "start-up" type org and are subject to red tape and bureaucracies that really slow down efficient work flows. However, it still struggles like a start-up with inabilities to get resources and a developed work stream to help the sales team sell.

Compensation is weak in comparison to other companies.

Great Company but everyone leaves after 4 years

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Costolo is an amazing CEO and is transparent on issues affecting the company.

People at Twitter are very helpful and the culture is really about building one another up!

Cons

They do not do a good job of doing equity refreshers which is why so many people are leaving after 4 years / after they vest their majority.

With all the turn over it felt like a new company or team every few months because of the turnover not because of team growth.

Advice to Management

Increase equity comp

10. Account Associate

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

Fast growing, great team to be on

Cons

Lots of work and grinding job

Quite happy overall, but ready for new role/team

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by extremely bright, hard-working, collaborative, and overall positive co-workers on my particular team (can't speak to to any others).

We test a lot of fast-moving projects - many opportunities to expand responsibility, take the lead on situations; I learn something new almost every day, decent transparency from management; parallel and supporting teams are very open, friendly, super helpful amongst themselves and each other.

Emphasis on work-life balance - you're expected to work hard and always be expanding your capabilities, but the culture is really social, and most people seem to maintain interests and a life outside work.

Benefits and perks
    - GREAT food and beverages for all 3 meals and snacks, (dinner is not as over-the-top, but still pretty great).
    - Health Insurance very comprehensive, monthly fitness/wellness stipend, cell phone plan, 401k (with an employer matching program - I need to look into that).

Location: middle of SF = great for folks not super into living in SV/Peninsula (or commuting there). CEO & company culture really emphasize community service, company-wide volunteer days each quarter, lots of clearly highlighted opportunities to volunteer more often, plenty of options to fit a lot of different employees. Twitter Inc. donates funds, tech hardware, services to many local programs; holds events, trainings, and functions at the office regularly; and just opened an official neighborhood "nest" and training/learning center in our offices!

Also love that our CEO doesn't sit sequestered in an office if he doesn't have to - he's out and about walking our halls, checking in with people, saying hi to everyone...I value that quality in a CEO/boss.

Cons

- Many colleagues can come off as immature, low EQ, poor team dynamic; many don't seem to realize how many opportunities are here for career dev IF you're willing to work for it and prove it - wondering why you don't get a promotion 2 months after being hired is ridiculous. Have seen more than 1 person get upset when a more pro-active and thoughtful colleague is selected for a leadership role or given recognition - it doesn't just happen, people! You have to get after it!

- Strong work ethics, competitive natures, powerful minds, and fast pace are great, but can also combine at times for ridiculous competition and insane expectations (i.e. mgmt increasing workload by ~20% while telling employees they're expected to work same hours - so no overtime has to be paid??);

- Managers/Supervisors can get overworked from above as well - team benefits less from a manager's awesome leadership skills if he/she is just running around putting out fires. Some test/pilot programs should be scrapped sooner than they actually are (what's the point in continuing in the same vein for 3 months, when it's obvious after 4-5 weeks that it's a waste of everyone's time?)

- Executive team seems to be moving Twitter platform more towards resembling FB. I don't know how I feel about this. If it's successful, then who am i to disagree; but I worry that the platforms are becoming too similar - Twitter is smaller and more agile, I'd like to see us take advantage of that more.

- Benefits are VERY good - but could still be better - would like to see a few more big benefits that Apple/Google/FB have been offering - maybe some bonus health, housing, and shuttle/transportation perks - we have some of these perks to an extent already, I'm just being greedy.

Location cons: middle of SF:

- still a pretty rough neighborhood, and the city's rampant homeless problem is on full display here, although hopefully the services, charities, and organizations in the area make a difference in some people's lives; it can be pretty depressing getting asked for money 3 times along 1 block, I've seen fights, drug use, mental illness, when walking around the area.

- Forget about parking for a reasonable cost, and forget about finding a nice apartment anywhere in SF (unless maybe you're willing to live with 4 other people, and even then...)

Advice to Management

C-Level/Executive Team:
    Lay out, emphasize, and stick to a CLEAR and COMPELLING VISION of Twitter's purpose/function. Without a strong direction, seems like upper management has been a revolving door along with many senior employees moving on. This is understandable as we grow out of our startup roots, but where are we going??

Middle Management:
    Be willing to listen to the people working under you - they're on the front lines, they can give you key information to make good decisions; and don't surround yourself with yes-men and sycophants who never question your suggestions or decisions. Be willing to shut down a broken project or program, cut your losses, admit a mistake, and move on quickly.

(My vote: stick to what makes us amazing - real-time, instant news and public sentiment on a global scale.)

Jul 1, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate it. We routinely share our employee comments via Glassdoor with our leadership team so they have better insights into concerns and areas for ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed