Twitter Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
258 reviews filtered by

1. I'm extremely fortunate to work at such a cool company!

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In previous companies, I often had to fight for small things that I thought could make me more productive or the project more successful. For example, something as simple as requesting an ergonomic mouse was a hassle - with levels of approvals and complicated expense procedures. At Twitter, you just walk up to one of the IT offices and say "Can I have an Evoluent upright mouse?" and they just hand it to you without a single question. Everyone wants to do the right thing. If something is obviously a good idea, you're just expected to do it, you don't need to ask for permission. I've never experienced that before at other companies.

Cons

From a purely engineering perspective, there is a lot that could be improved, such as some engineering practices or code quality. I don't mind too much, because it means that there is still something to work on. There is a lot of work to be done to improve the engineering practices, but the good thing is that current engineering management are all focusing a lot on these issues, and things will improve!

I have all faith in current management, I honestly can't give them any useful advice.

2. Working at Twitter is excellent!

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, progressive culture. Opportunity to make things happen, and to have your voice heard. Leadership is transparent and communicates fearlessly with employees. Benefits are great, from excellent healthcare (for you and your family or +1) to perks like fitness reimbursements. Twitter has excellent training and learning opportunities, helping professionals continue to grow in their skill sets and discover new areas of interest. Additionally, I believe that Twitter is doing great things in this world: liberating voices, assisting in the igniting of revolutions, and bringing light to things that matter around the world.

Cons

$401k plan could be better, but Twitter is identifying and seeking to resolve this. Pay should be more competitive.

Continue what's going well, identify cons swiftly. This is a fantastic company, and we want it to continue drawing the best people!

Sadly, it became "just a job"

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great food. Most employees are smart. Great place to spend your days at if you are 20-something.

Cons

Unstable and unhealthy workplace. Performance review, promotion and hiring are never transparent. If you don't come from Google, Facebook or Apple, you are a second-class citizen here. Ex-Googlers hiring their buddies from Google, and promoting each other. Sudden purges and a bunch of workers just disappear. Unless you are an engineer or product manager, the salary is below the market. Culture is very unfriendly to women and parents. No wonder they are having a hard time attracting and retaining women. I came in with a pride for what I do; now it's been degraded to "just a job."

Stop hiring managers who actually don't know the stuff. It only creates micromanagement that produces no results and unhappy teams.

5. New Team, Same Love

Current Employee - User Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - User Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistency of top notch work and people is apparently as I've moved from the revenue org to the product org.
    - People are friendly, helpful, and collaborative, no hidden agendas!
    - People are brilliant but humble
    - Work is impactful, interesting, and fun!

Cons

Only small issue is that as the company grows, bureacracy becomes more apparently.
    However, having working for large companies in the past, the level of attention that Twitter gives to ensuring we don't be come another "big company" is impressive and deserve applaud.

Keeping doing what you're doing.
    Continuing to communicate fearlessly to build trust is invaluable and really appreciated!

6. Great colleagues + world-changing technology

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues: Everyone I have come into contact with is smart and eager. (Almost) everyone wants to help you get your job done.

Time-off: "Unlimited" time off policy is great if you know how to get sh*t done and set your own boundaries, and have a good boss. The first two are up to you, but the last one is on the company to set the right expectations. For me, so far so good.

Other benefits: Mobile subsidy, free food (way better options in SF HQ than the distributed offices), wear jeans and kicks to work. Salary is ok but not awesome.

Cons

This is a large company that is also still a startup. Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Those who are good communicators and connecters will do well and ad value - but it can be frustrating.

7. Really smart, hungry people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, it is always great to work for a place that plays such a big part in our society.

Employee perks are outstanding.

The people around me are some of the best in their industry.

This is the place for professionals who like challenges and are ready to help this company reach its never ending potential. I am proud to say that i work for a company that has a lot to prove to the public and to know that I play a role in that growth makes me really proud of what i do.

Cons

Lack of diversity.

8. Love it!

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

Amazing food awesome culture of transparency. Management works really hard.

Cons

Nothing much to say here

9. The best company I have ever worked at

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great Culture. Great product. You get to have an impact on a communication tool that is shaping the future of the world with massive cultural impact.

Cons

still growing into itself as a global company

10. This is one of the most exciting companies I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The "water cooler" discussions at Twitter are more high impact than any other company I have ever worked for. What's more important is that the culture of Twitter is to take action on those discussions.

Cons

Extremely high pace and a lot is demanded of you. You are asked to perform above and beyond your normal threshold

Keep pushing the boundaries of what Twitter's platform can become.

11. Great Company to make an Impact

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- You can lead projects that can have an immense impact in the company/product
    - Great perks (free healthcare, gym, etc...)
    - Free breakfast, lunch and dinner

Cons

- Promotions are tough to get

Promotions should be easier to go through.