Twitter

Twitter Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo

Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

software engineer

Prosgood pace, passion, and growth

Conslong commute from south bay to the city

Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun work environment. Good pay.

ConsTerrible neighborhood. Lack of leadership. Had to work many hours. Corp culture being ruined by an IPO mentality. Poor user growth based on lack of consumer marketing and too many brainiacs creating the on boarding process.

Advice to Senior ManagementTest the product with regular users not tech experts. You'll never reach every person on the planet if you don't make a product easy to use by every person on the planet.

Very rewarding

ProsThe company stimulates you to be very proactive in defining the problems and the solutions. It takes to be a leader on everything you do.

The culture is very strong and people really stand for the values.

ConsStill needs to improve in term of processes and tools, but that's the point of the Pros above!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Site Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart co-workers. Great work/life balance. Hard work is rewarded and your direction/projects are often self driven. If you have an idea, you can implement it.

ConsPoor performer's aren't well managed.Some people and teams consistently underperform and it seems they can just drift here forever and are protected from ever actually justifying why their products/projects are consistently failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the cruft and get rid of the dead weight. There's a lot of fun work to do here and if people are too lazy to do it, they shouldn't be wasting everyone else's time.

Excellent people, benefits, perks, salaries. CEO inspires.

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPeople - smart, available, collaboration
    Perks - coffee, food, beer and wine
    Benefits
    Salary
    Great leadership
    Open communication
    Inspiring CEO

ConsStill some growing pains despite the size of the company.
    Internal transfer process is messy.
    More diversity needed.
    Work/life balance

Great

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat compensation and great foot really really really nice

ConsLong hours kind of full of dicks no way to promote myself oh well

I love it here!

Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Great culture
    - Fun environment
    - Challenging workload

Cons- Great pay and company values
    - Hard to get ahold of senior management

Promising Start - Questionable Future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFood, Coworkers, Innovative atmosphere, work-life balance, perks at workplace

ConsIncreasingly puzzling decisions by Sr. Execs. Such as promoting individuals to Director or higher level even though experience does not support. More as reward for being part of company from beginning than based on good, practical, business sense / decisions. Also, comany does not seem to be working on biggest problem for future of company which is growing user base by making Twitter more appealing to broader user base - seems more interested in becoming part of mainstream media

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in Sr. Management with experience in the areas you wish to strengthen. Do not promote inexperienced individuals as nothing more than a reward for being with company longer than newer hires (even though they are better suited). Company needs to begin acting like a global corporation, not a start up any more. Focus first on why more people don't use Twitter.

I feel lucky every morning.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great food, great compensation, great learning opportunities, great opportunities to jump into the fast growing code-base. You get to do what matters to the world. Great work/life balance as well.

ConsWell, I am not a big fan of San Francisco. It's a dirty and dangerous city.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe incentives?

HR is invisible; managers aren't there to help you grow in any meaningful way and sometimes they hurt

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFood, working with many very qualified and mostly ego-less engineers who really care about what they are doing, running a service that people care about, plenty to learn

ConsYour happiness or sadness will depend almost entirely on whether the manager who owns you wants you to be happy or sad, whether they want you to stay or don't care if you disappear tomorrow. There is no obvious way to correct things if you are identified as a "problem". Every team has a completely different style, which accounts for the giddy reviews found elsewhere in this section. The hiring rally in 2013 made it much easier to dispose of people rather than solving problems so they could stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementDickC is completely legit and has everyone's near-complete trust. Below him are multiple layers of managers who translate his clear directives into unclear directions for unclear reasons. There are also some good managers but they are outnumbered. They said this wouldn't happen to us. It happened. It got worse after the IPO.

Dick: your team is over-managing the brand. The company will be better off when it can roll with the punches rather than trying to control every utterance that originates inside or outside. There's more life to this company than the stone-faced official word lets anyone know, and that's a shame. The "more layers of managers than Apple" at a fraction of the size is also a shame. Your middle tiers of managers are the company's biggest handicap and always have been since you started dumping them into the structure by the truckload.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!