Twitter Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. So far so good

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Great business, very switched on and knows exactly what they want and where they want to go and how to get there -it really has been so lovely meeting the whole AU team - they are all so super friendly and talented in their own niche areas.

Cons

Nothing that i can think of so far

2. Amazing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate and friendly team, plenty of opportunities to add real value, incredible lifestyle at the office, crazy perks.

Cons

CEO search can be taxing on employees, as we don't know who our leader is/will be.

Advice to Management

The management just needs to stay strong and always encourage morale, even when the press is hounding.

Aug 12, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for sharing!

3. Great Start!

Current Employee - Software Engineer - Search in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer - Search in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I joined Twitter to make an impact, experience the culture and be associated with a brand and company I believe in all the way to the top.

Cons

Nothing I have experienced so far

Advice to Management

Keep telling the truth and creating amazing products and work environment

5. Highly Recommended

Pros

Great company to work for. They build strong teams, foster a good company culture, and invest in training and excellent benefits for employees.

Cons

Still navigating the direction of the company.

A company that has lost it's way

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Great pay and benefits. Office is super nice, free lunches are great, massage rooms, exercise rooms, places to nap, meditate, etc. - Some engineering teams (particularly revenue, platform) seem to have their act together and are capable of progress. - Work-life balance is pretty good. I rarely work more than 40 hours a week. I often work from home.

Cons

- Execs and senior management have no freaking clue where to lead the company. The executive team has seen almost 100% turnover in the last year -- there is now literally a different group of people leading the company. Most executives and managers are young and are in high level leadership positions for the first time in their careers, and predictably have no idea what they're doing. - There is no legitimate product strategy for user growth and retention, other than unfounded optimism that something might happen. Good ideas appear every hack week, but none of them make it into the product. Teams are encouraged to A/B test everything and have to show overwhelmingly positive metrics to ship to 100%, even for the most common sense stuff. This all results in a mediocre product that doesn't change and shows no forward progress. - Career growth as an engineer is very difficult. Getting a promotion involves excessive groveling to higher-ranked engineers who are not incentivized to help anyone besides themselves grow. The title you get when you join the company will probably be the title you have when you leave.

Advice to Management

Put together a legitimate long term strategic plan for our product and the rest will follow.

7. Smart Driven People

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitter hires innovative, intellectual and motivated people, it is them who makes the working experience awesome. The culture and leadership combined really empower the employees there to put their best efforts forward to keep the company going. I believe in what the platform stands for and what it's doing to make a difference in this world. The continuing innovation with the products and what marketers are doing to leverage the platform is better than ever & will continue to improve. The company offers such great perks, from free meals, snacks, celebrity sightings, happy hours, crossfit, yoga, and much more! If you're looking for great culture and leadership, this is where its at!

Cons

Any company that is growing rapidly has areas that need to improve and one thing I'd like to point out is the growing pains of it. It's not just one thing that needs improvement but overall, processes that need to be put in place to make work more efficient. Not having to go through multiple avenues to look for one answer.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay transparent and work towards being more collaborative

Sorely in need of good leadership, vision

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter (More than a year)

Pros

- Exceptional pay and benefits - Recognized and well-respected brand - Talented colleagues, for the most part - Community outreach programs and internal diversity initiatives You get to work on a product that has significant global impact, you get to do it with generally awesome people, and you're treated very well. Twitter genuinely promotes a culture and espouses a mission you can be proud of.

Cons

- Myopic, disorganized, and gutless eng/product leadership - Opaque promotion process which was actually worsened through improvement attempts - Miserable open office space is a constant source of distraction - Serious, quantifiable issues with lack of equitable treatment of women and minorities, especially in eng, that the company does not seem to be taking seriously - Most executives refuse to accept responsibility for mistakes and shortcomings, and make a mockery of an ostensibly transparent culture by dodging hard questions at all-hands meetings The root of the problem is that good leadership at Twitter is lacking, both at the executive level and within the engineering and product orgs. There is not a shared clear, consistent, and bold vision for the future of the product and the company, so much as there is focus on making incremental changes to engagement/revenue metrics and spinning numbers to appease the Street (logged-out, anyone?). Most infuriatingly, few C-level and other members of senior management take responsibility for shortcomings, or provide real answers to hard questions raised by employees. I have watched Twitter flap for over a year with little progress, and now, understandably, investors are becoming angry. Costolo served as a scapegoat for Wall Street, but the truth is that he was very capable, and will be difficult to replace.

Advice to Management

Move faster. Be bold. Stop making excuses about missed OKRs and revenue targets, and start fixing the underlying problems. You've had plenty of time to figure this out. Do something to actually earn your obscene compensation packages.

Aug 12, 2015 – Human Resources

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. We're reading all reviews and appreciate your feedback. We'll share your thoughts with our executives as well.

9. Awesome experience!

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

Our team ended up at Twitter when our company got acquired. I have to say, their integration team and process have been amazing. Twitter's made every effort to make sure that our team feels at home and to enable us to continue kicking butt and taking names through the acquisition and integration process. Some of the awesome perks about working at Twitter include free yoga and crossfit classes, a million cafeterias with different menus, taco bars and frozen yogurt on the daily and all sorts of celebrity visits to HQ. But more importantly, everyone at Twitter is smart, driven, approachable and super helpful.

Cons

Twitter went through a major growth spurt over the last couple of years and it seems like some processes are still being figured out. It'd be nice to get rid of some of the redundancies.

Advice to Management

Love all the transparency that's been implemented! Keep on sharing and empowering people to do their best work.

Jul 30, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for sharing! So glad its been such a great experience for you!

10. Amazing Company

Current Employee - Head of Agency in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Head of Agency in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Twitter (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working on Twitter for only 2 weeks, but it seems that I've been here for years. People receive you in a so warm way that you really feel home. I am also very impressed with the degree of transparency and openness that we have here. It makes you feel part of the strategy. I feel really proud to be part of this company!

Cons

I have no negative comments so far!

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be to continue to manage the company in an open and transparent manner and also to continue working on the issue of diversity, which is so important these days.

11. Amazing culture and phenomenal perks - the mini Google

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

The product is amazing. You really feel like you are working for a company that has the potential to change the world. Everyone at the company is open and welcoming - senior exec leadership encourages rank and file employees to contact them any time, and even thoughtfully reply to e-mails from new hires. The "creature comforts" are on par with Google - fully-stocked microkitchens, amazing food, and on-site fitness classes and massages.

Cons

Lots of hard work to be done, and the expectation is that everyone is ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work. There is no coasting at Twitter. Although the leadership team has a strong plan to re-ignite growth, it may take some time for revenue to materialize and the stock to recover. There's also always a few growing pains at companies growing as fast as we are, so employees are expected to navigate an environment with some uncertainty. Also, the company is strongly biased towards e-mails and meetings, which could be a shock for folks from smaller companies.

Advice to Management

Keep the company as open and flat as possible as we grow.

Jul 30, 2015 – Human Resources

Very helpful comments, thank you!

RSS Feed </> Embed