Twitter

about.twitter.com
Employer Engaged

Wants to be a great company to work for

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wants to be a great company to work for a building products that users love. Things heading in the right direction.

Cons

Going through a lot of turbulence in 2014. Still losing a lot of good people daily.

Fantastic place to intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time off, mentorship availabilities are fantastic. Food is out of the world, and pay is pretty decent. I was able to pick my own project, which doesn't happen at every company.

Cons

The onboarding process is painfully slow. Watch out for a fair amount of corporate speak, etc. I get the sense that many people are drinking the Kool-Aid maybe a bit too much.

Good place to work

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Free food and unlimited vacation time

Cons

Need more of a challenge

Purges, Reorgs, and Cronyism Ruin Culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

- smart coworkers
    - cool brand
    - standard tech company perks

Industry best practices can be learnt here. The compensation is competitive.

Cons

- new products and features often don't ship
    - not a meritocracy

After the IPO there were a lot of high-level firings, and each of those induced a re-org and blew away the product and feature development that occurred underneath. So, a lot of times yo'd see a feature developed, then abandoned or delayed, then attempted again six months later by another team.

On acquihires, problems arise when there's an obvious conflict of interest (e.g. someone high in the company is old pal's with the acquihired company's CEO), when good people are displaced and/or fired to make room for acquihired folk, and when acquihired folk parachute into the org with outsized titles and compensation, screwing over everyone who came in the front door and who had been working honestly. Tolerance and encouragement of this sort of cronyism is destructive not just to rank-and-file employees but to all shareholders.

Twitter presents itself externally as this hyper-ethical company super-concerned with noble ideas like user safety, but on the inside odd things happen, like a time a bunch of employees were fired with no notice and the survivors were told they could not ask questions and that no explanation would be given.

Given these conditions, employees are incentivized to leave the company as soon as they vest some stock and the learning slows, which happens at the two year mark, on average.

Game of Thrones

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter

Pros

Free food and coffee? The office is also in a convenient location

Cons

Horrible internal politics throughout all parts of the company
    Rotating door with employees and senior management
    Under-resourced

Leave. Seriously not sure why anyone would want to work here they've taken a great culture and destroyed it.

An unparalleled environment that is supportive, creative, and values-driven

Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My direct team is first class—I really don't think there's another company with a stronger department than ours. As a result, my colleagues are incredibly innovative, collaborative, and fun. I learn something new every day, and my manager is an incredible advocate on my behalf. I see Twitter's core values acted upon frequently, and I really believe the company operates with incredible integrity. The compensation and perks are wonderful—and though my work/life balance occasionally teeters against my favor—my workload is generally respected. I am incredibly optimistic about our future—and I strongly believe I can be at Twitter for a long time, as inter-department and office transfer is strongly supported.

Leadership constantly stresses the importance of the employees—their contributions are highlighted, and I get the sense that our satisfaction is paramount. It's really easy to do your best work here.

Cons

I feel like any "cons" at Twitter are nit-picking. As the company grows, it's harder to find the information you need (though they're working on that), or the people with whom you need to speak. The rapid pace of the business means we make mistakes that we don't always own up to externally, even though we'd like to. Internal critiques can be occasionally be brutal, and externally we're an easy target for the media (it can be tough to ignore). Engineering and Product teams seem to have a less positive experience than those in the Revenue group, though I'm really hopeful that will change now that leadership is secure.

Our internal transparency and candor is one of the most special things about Twitter. Please continue to support it, both conceptually and by investing in tools that enable it. Please continue to reduce politics within the Engineering and product organization. And most importantly, please support meaningful change over incremental tweaks.

I love working here. Great culture, opportunities and benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

I have been at Twitter for about a year and a half and it's been awesome. I've been afforded increasing professional development opportunities over the course of my time, and have been consistently impressed by the awesome benefits - no accrued vacation, great healthcare etc, lots of visiting VIPs and more.

The culture is also great. Twitter has done a good job of maintaining a startup-eque vibe despite being 3000+ people. That really comes across in the day-to-day: having random conversations over lunch, or at the themed happy hours where people are super friendly and welcoming. Transparency is also important and respected.

In my opinion, Twitter has a really bright future and it's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time

Love working at Twitter

Current Employee - Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

Really enjoying working at Twitter. Great benefits, interesting work, excellent colleagues.

Cons

Career advancement path unclear, though management is concretizing a plan.

Great company to work and grow with

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Yes, the perks are great, but whats even better is having the opportunity to learn and grow with an organization that is literally going where no company has gone before. Yes, this job is hard, but you are pushed to learn and grow in ways you never thought you could - which is the best perk of all.

Cons

Company is in its growing stage - moving out of that start up culture is difficult at first but I am sure it will pay off in the end.

Best company I've worked for - with some caveats

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While not exactly an old-timer, I did enter more or less at the bottom of a hypergrowth stage. 1000 or so employees to 3k+ and also had the good fortune of being here a good time before and after the IPO.

- Being paid much better than my previous Fortune 100 employer.
    - My team is experienced, professional, and cares about the company's success.
    - Management is generally approachable, but be sure you ask for their time with a purpose in mind.
    - Lots of opportunity if you reach for it - it won't be handed to you.
    - Office perks are great.
    - It's taking us a while, but recent vision and strategy alignment is coming together.

I also disagree with a previous reviewer's claim that "the women's organizations within Twitter carry no real weight at the company" and the claim of systemic anti-women culture. I've rarely observed the behaviors described and the internal numbers about promotions simply don't tell the same story this reviewer describes. Additionally, the women's groups here have exceptional company support and are afforded the opportunity to hold events and host speakers (sometimes quite difficult to achieve at HQ due to limited space). These groups have also given exceptional access to the most senior individuals in the company.

Cons

- Losing a lot of culture through old-timer departures.
    - Management churn at the upper levels is unsettling but not wholly abnormal for a company at this stage. I attribute this to a number bad hires. I believe the current product and engineering heads are a better fit.
    - Company feels much bigger and it's becoming harder to get work noticed.
    - Entrepreneurial spirit is dwindling as Hackweeks only occur 2x per year now and folks don't have confidence they could ship their bigger bets or moonshots.
    - Power is concentrated with a few choice folks and groups. Not unusual for any company, but it can be arduous to break through.
    - However, renewed commitment to broken windows and bug fixing is a necessary annoyance.
    - We've likely overgrown and the recent headcount trimming isn't sitting well with folks, though I think it was necessary contraction.

- Stable teams are important.
    - Isolate teams of exceptional people to incubate moonshots.
    - Don't change on a dime because there are a number of folks leaving and berating the company.