Twitter Reviews

Reset

1. Sr. Technical Recruiter

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, People, Brand, Product are amazing

Cons

Attrition has been higher recently

Jul 1, 2015 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review!

2. Twitter review

Current Employee - Policy Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Specialist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Perks, Benefits, Flexible hours, Friendly staff. Very casual environment but people want you to succeed. Meetings are short and you have to be on point and direct. People seek feedback and want your feedback. The benefits are similar to other tech companies and comparable. And of course, the food is amazing.

Cons

Not understanding of growth Transparency on career development Leveling within the department is skewed and unfair

Advice to Management

I think management is great here and gets good training, at least in San Francisco. However, we are unclear in my department about how leveling works and growth. While the company thrives on being open and transparent, non-engineers still struggle to figure out growth.

No trust, no respect

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, plenty of resources, still plenty of smart people who are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

There is a very narrow view of what is important in an engineer. This feeds the diversity problem as well, but the problem day to day is that managers and the company as a whole do not respect or reward all of the other talents that the great people working there bring to their jobs. They are just constantly criticized for not matching some idealized model of the "perfect engineer". From doing "feedback" for other organizations I know they have a similar process, where it's more about tearing people down than celebrating their contributions. People are leaving every day, and it's not because their stock vested. People who are happy with what they do and feel appreciated do not not leave, people leave when they are unhappy. The entire atmosphere is one of unhappiness, stress, criticism and weekly "disappearances."

Advice to Management

Learn that "fair" means appreciating individual talents, not measuring everyone's height and telling those who are not 6' tall to grow, then claiming you're "fair" because you're using the same measurement on everyone.

Quite happy overall, but ready for new role/team

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by extremely bright, hard-working, collaborative, and overall positive co-workers on my particular team (can't speak to to any others). We test a lot of fast-moving projects - many opportunities to expand responsibility, take the lead on situations; I learn something new almost every day, decent transparency from management; parallel and supporting teams are very open, friendly, super helpful amongst themselves and each other. Emphasis on work-life balance - you're expected to work hard and always be expanding your capabilities, but the culture is really social, and most people seem to maintain interests and a life outside work. Benefits and perks - GREAT food and beverages for all 3 meals and snacks, (dinner is not as over-the-top, but still pretty great). - Health Insurance very comprehensive, monthly fitness/wellness stipend, cell phone plan, 401k (with an employer matching program - I need to look into that). Location: middle of SF = great for folks not super into living in SV/Peninsula (or commuting there). CEO & company culture really emphasize community service, company-wide volunteer days each quarter, lots of clearly highlighted opportunities to volunteer more often, plenty of options to fit a lot of different employees. Twitter Inc. donates funds, tech hardware, services to many local programs; holds events, trainings, and functions at the office regularly; and just opened an official neighborhood "nest" and training/learning center in our offices! Also love that our CEO doesn't sit sequestered in an office if he doesn't have to - he's out and about walking our halls, checking in with people, saying hi to everyone...I value that quality in a CEO/boss.

Cons

- Many colleagues can come off as immature, low EQ, poor team dynamic; many don't seem to realize how many opportunities are here for career dev IF you're willing to work for it and prove it - wondering why you don't get a promotion 2 months after being hired is ridiculous. Have seen more than 1 person get upset when a more pro-active and thoughtful colleague is selected for a leadership role or given recognition - it doesn't just happen, people! You have to get after it! - Strong work ethics, competitive natures, powerful minds, and fast pace are great, but can also combine at times for ridiculous competition and insane expectations (i.e. mgmt increasing workload by ~20% while telling employees they're expected to work same hours - so no overtime has to be paid??); - Managers/Supervisors can get overworked from above as well - team benefits less from a manager's awesome leadership skills if he/she is just running around putting out fires. Some test/pilot programs should be scrapped sooner than they actually are (what's the point in continuing in the same vein for 3 months, when it's obvious after 4-5 weeks that it's a waste of everyone's time?) - Executive team seems to be moving Twitter platform more towards resembling FB. I don't know how I feel about this. If it's successful, then who am i to disagree; but I worry that the platforms are becoming too similar - Twitter is smaller and more agile, I'd like to see us take advantage of that more. - Benefits are VERY good - but could still be better - would like to see a few more big benefits that Apple/Google/FB have been offering - maybe some bonus health, housing, and shuttle/transportation perks - we have some of these perks to an extent already, I'm just being greedy. Location cons: middle of SF: - still a pretty rough neighborhood, and the city's rampant homeless problem is on full display here, although hopefully the services, charities, and organizations in the area make a difference in some people's lives; it can be pretty depressing getting asked for money 3 times along 1 block, I've seen fights, drug use, mental illness, when walking around the area. - Forget about parking for a reasonable cost, and forget about finding a nice apartment anywhere in SF (unless maybe you're willing to live with 4 other people, and even then...)

Advice to Management

C-Level/Executive Team: Lay out, emphasize, and stick to a CLEAR and COMPELLING VISION of Twitter's purpose/function. Without a strong direction, seems like upper management has been a revolving door along with many senior employees moving on. This is understandable as we grow out of our startup roots, but where are we going?? Middle Management: Be willing to listen to the people working under you - they're on the front lines, they can give you key information to make good decisions; and don't surround yourself with yes-men and sycophants who never question your suggestions or decisions. Be willing to shut down a broken project or program, cut your losses, admit a mistake, and move on quickly. (My vote: stick to what makes us amazing - real-time, instant news and public sentiment on a global scale.)

Jul 1, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate it. We routinely share our employee comments via Glassdoor with our leadership team so they have better insights into concerns and areas for ... More

Not what I expected

Pros

Fair pay, perks and learning opportunities.

Cons

Not a very friendly culture. Blown out. People are overworked and disgruntled.

Jul 7, 2015 – Human Resources

We're sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience, but we appreciate your feedback. Your comments are included in a summary of Glassdoor reviews we will share with executive leadership.

Great Company but everyone leaves after 4 years

Pros

Costolo is an amazing CEO and is transparent on issues affecting the company. People at Twitter are very helpful and the culture is really about building one another up!

Cons

They do not do a good job of doing equity refreshers which is why so many people are leaving after 4 years / after they vest their majority. With all the turn over it felt like a new company or team every few months because of the turnover not because of team growth.

Advice to Management

Increase equity comp

8. Account Associate

Pros

Fast growing, great team to be on

Cons

Lots of work and grinding job

Good company but it might be growing too fast for its own good

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team members who are smart and willing to work hard. The work culture is very inviting and positive.

Cons

Like many up and coming companies, Twitter is trying to figure out its potential. It may take some time and reorgs happen quite often. Many employees also seem entitled, often demanding unreasonable and trivial things from the company rather than focusing on their own job.

Advice to Management

Realize that you have plenty of talents. Help them grow and try your best to keep them. Keep up with being transparent with all your employees.

Jul 1, 2015 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review. We agree there's (always) room for growth. One way we want to facilitate more #LoveWhereYouWork experiences is by sharing reviews like yours with our leadership team ... More

Great company - Many weak teams

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good senior management. They strive to be honest and transparent. - Good open culture. Many forums to express opinions (especially the internal Q&A tool) and regular "tea-time" allhands meetings - Actually a pretty decent engineering org (despite having several engineers who are mediocre). The company has invested very well in building a good engineering muscle and there are still some very topnotch people doing awesome work. - Good perks! - Great office, outstanding lunch (except Google and Facebook, NO other company's lunch even comes close to to what Twitter offers. )

Cons

- Many strong engineers are leaving. Many teams are just staffed with overwhelming number of mediocre talent. - Some teams have mediocre people from engineers all the way to directors! (Managers and Directors tend to be politically inclined in such teams) - Backend/infrastructure orgs are a mess. Product orgs are an EVEN bigger mess!. The only org that seem to have their act together is the Revenue (ads) engineering org.

Advice to Management

Be aggressive in letting people go. You have 1800 engineers but the output isn't 1800 engineer's worth. You can probably do the job with 1000 engineers!

Sales team going through growing pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to work with highly energetic and ambitious teams is a plus. There are some managers in the org that are fantastic and will take you far, especially if you are still determining your career. There is also the ability to move around internally to different teams to try something new. There is also a good work-life balance and is a good place for people to start families.

Cons

Sales team is in a stage where they are no longer a "start-up" type org and are subject to red tape and bureaucracies that really slow down efficient work flows. However, it still struggles like a start-up with inabilities to get resources and a developed work stream to help the sales team sell. Compensation is weak in comparison to other companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed