Twitter Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
4.4

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I love it here!

Current Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture
    - Fun environment
    - Challenging workload

Cons

- Great pay and company values
    - Hard to get ahold of senior management

really good

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

impressive salaries and potential and benefits. I really like working here. Awesome.. Great going..

Cons

Too much pressure. Hectic work hours and schedules. Very aggressive. Too much competition.

Learned a lot, and met great people!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You learn a lot of things from some of the great engineers that work here. The ability to get the opportunity to code and write "clever" code is more encouraged than it is at other companies. Yay Scala!

Cons

I was at their old location when I was working there, but it was not in a good part of town. There new place is supposed to be awesome, though!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are just the best. Amazing culture. Always learning something new at Twitter University. Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people. I love how the 10 core values drive the company to always be better.

Cons

Instead of having Hackweek once per quarter, we will have it just once every two quarter.

I feel lucky every morning.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great food, great compensation, great learning opportunities, great opportunities to jump into the fast growing code-base. You get to do what matters to the world. Great work/life balance as well.

Cons

Well, I am not a big fan of San Francisco. It's a dirty and dangerous city.

Maybe incentives?

Promising Start - Questionable Future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Food, Coworkers, Innovative atmosphere, work-life balance, perks at workplace

Cons

Increasingly puzzling decisions by Sr. Execs. Such as promoting individuals to Director or higher level even though experience does not support. More as reward for being part of company from beginning than based on good, practical, business sense / decisions. Also, comany does not seem to be working on biggest problem for future of company which is growing user base by making Twitter more appealing to broader user base - seems more interested in becoming part of mainstream media

Bring in Sr. Management with experience in the areas you wish to strengthen. Do not promote inexperienced individuals as nothing more than a reward for being with company longer than newer hires (even though they are better suited). Company needs to begin acting like a global corporation, not a start up any more. Focus first on why more people don't use Twitter.

Amazing company culture, massive growth potential and really interesting product.

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Collaboration - everyone here is pushing towards a common goal, we all want to see the company grow and become more successful. Wickedly smart people - we have some of the best people in their field but because the culture is so collaborative rarely do those smart people beat you over the head with their intellect. Speed of decision - decisions are made quickly so we can move into execution swiftly, decisions are supported by data but not to excess.

Cons

It is chaotic and shows signs of a company that has gone through some rapid growth. Things often aren't written down and there is a lot of work to do to support this growth. However that is a really exciting con to have to deal with as the company expands and brings onboard talent from other, larger companies there's a danger that the culture will get diluted.

Keep on doing what you are doing. The culture here is something you should be proud of, don't let the growth in the company kill that.

Great company

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, lots of people with similar goals and interests, tools I need to do my job. Often find myself working for the fun of it rather than to keep management happy. Lots of room to move up here.

Cons

Too many people here expecting the world to bend to their whim. Twentitled being a commonly used word. Often working with so many smart people you can get issues with people not being willing to bend because they believe they are right. Often slow to fire problem employees.

Starting to see hire and fire culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

Many teams are good and twitter-20 is true (a.k.a great food, you gain 20 pounds).

Cons

Twitter was previously great place to work.
    Unlike to bigger companies like Google, there could be better opportunities but the management has FAILED to scale the organization well.
    Managers have no interest in setting up the new hires for success, they are focused on getting short term results. Thus leading to many cases of hire and fire.

Clean up the mid tier management

FEMALES BEWARE! Very bro heavy. Women not treated well at all.

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

I like the actual platform, and some of my coworkers are delightful.

Cons

Twitter is bro-heavy from the top down. Women have very little opportunity for advancement. Once, someone asked why there weren't more women in sales leadership positions and someone got up and talked about how great the women in sales were. Two weeks later, 5 people were promoted in sales. Guess how many women? ZERO. I have seen bosses with admins humiliate their admins in meetings (admins being mostly women, this is a huge red flag), and they definitely are not shown respect. "The fish stinks from the head," as they say. In this case, it is definitely true.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!