Twitter Reviews

1. I love working at Twitter

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A mission-driven company with a killer business model, great people, and a fun challenge. Inspiring to help give people all over the world a voice every day.

Cons

The work is addictive and the press is relentless, but working with the best people in the world makes it all worth it.

2. Challenging, inspirational work

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

The compensation and benefits are both excellent, but that is the case at a ton of companies across SV. What makes Twitter special is how talented, driven and visionary the employees are. You will be challenged every day at Twitter. People are not here to punch the clock. They are here to make Twitter as awesome as it can be.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge because everyone at Twitter is very focused and driven.

Advice to Management

You are doing all the right things. You have chosen the right product and eng leadership. Now give them the full support they need to drive positive change throughout the org.

Best place I have ever worked and probably ever will work!

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Twitter is an open, collaborative, innovative culture of smart people doing impactful things. Our products impact hundreds of millions of people around the world, and it is a really excellent place to work.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons to working at Twitter. I am just writing this to fill the 20 word minimum that Glassdoor requires of all reviews, but Twitter is honestly a great place to work.

5. I've never been happier

Current Intern - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Passionate, Hardworking & Smart Coworkers are everywhere
    - I learn something new everyday
    - I'm challenged, and feel that I'm growing and learning valuable skills
    - Positive encouragement -- I've never had such an appreciative team
    - Amazing Benefits
    - Competitive Salary & Stock Options
    - Awesome Perks (free food, drinks, massages, gym, yoga etc -- spoiled and happy!)

Cons

- Located in Civic Center (scary neighborhood)
    - Leaks about internal information are in the press - it's frustrating and disheartening to know they're being leaked by my peers

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to grow, and help them see career growth opportunities. Keep the positive encouragement - it's amazing, and so great to feel appreciated!

Love the work, don't love people here for the money

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All the standard stuff you'd expect. Challenging work, big impact, smart people, blah blah blah. The big difference is that every company thinks it affects the world, but Twitter really does.

Cons

My biggest concern is internal snark and people only here for the stock. There seems to be an overlap between the two. Fortunately it's not the majority, but it's distracting.

Advice to Management

No one's perfect but I just hope you keep driving forward and not getting distracted.

7. Best people. Powerful mission and purpose.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work and I'm challenged everyday in my role.
    Massive opportunity to make impact in a company that has a global impact everyday.
    Great benefits.

Cons

Constant media attention and a slow response by leadership to change the narrative. This has improved dramatically however.

Some good perks, but unstable management, stealth firings, and relentless pace

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

The platform and product are incredible, although it's unclear how committed the current leadership and management is to retaining the aspects that made it so great (user trust, respect for privacy) and how things will change in the relentless pursuit of more MAUs to satisfy wall street

The free food is amazing and company is generally open to flexible work schedules dependent on department and manager. Very good leave policies (unlimited PTO, 10 weeks maternity/paternity leave), although good luck taking a vacation and not checking email or attending a meeting.

Compensation is good; RSU grants prior to IPO (can't speak post) were generous.

Cons

The company is going through an identity crisis as it transitions from a small private company to a large public multinational with significant investor pressure. That transition has taken its toll on leadership and it feels like DickC is scrambling to save his job and survive, largely by implicitly blaming others for the company's failures, getting rid of a huge number of executives. The churn at the top hurts those at the bottom as the constant leadership changes come with new org structures, new philosophies, and new politics, and projects get put on hold and priorities shift.

There have been a number of stealth layoffs, which management states is for poor performers, but people usually don't see it coming and even those working with the impacted employees had no idea. One day you'll email somebody you've been working with closely for months and it gets bounced back and that's how you're informed they're gone, but there's very little further discussion about it. This leads to a stressful environment where people are always worried about the axe, and consequently have short time horizons when thinking about their future at the company.

When executives were recently asked what they thought about a recent exodus of "long-timers" (people at Twitter around 4 years) the response was an acknowledgment that the pace was relentless and people leaving matches expectation. Lasting two years here is a victory and you're considered an old timer at that stage. Despite the constant churn due to people burning out or getting fired, there's very little investment in building institutional knowledge or making the company work culture more sustainable. You can see the short term outlook everywhere, even in public comments, and people seem focused on short term wins to move short term metrics versus longer term investments in building a stable and long lasting business that will be around for the long haul. It's a real shame because it's an

Advice to Management

Think long term and beyond saving your own jobs or increasing your own stock payout. Be courageous in thinking beyond short term investor pressures and think about building a product and work place that will be here for the long haul.

9. Dream Job

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've never met so many friendly people in one company! We're all passionate, dedicated, and supportive of each other and our work. The communication between exec and employees helps build trust in the work that we're doing. Plus the food is AMAZING. I love the work-life balance too. It's hard to have burnout when you have free Crossfit/Yoga and unlimited days off!

Cons

The hardest part is actually fighting the media's portrayal of Twitter, our MAU and our leadership. It feels like they're trying to undermine a good thing, but ultimately, the open communication within the company helps dispel the lies.

10. This is one of the most exciting companies I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The "water cooler" discussions at Twitter are more high impact than any other company I have ever worked for. What's more important is that the culture of Twitter is to take action on those discussions.

Cons

Extremely high pace and a lot is demanded of you. You are asked to perform above and beyond your normal threshold

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the boundaries of what Twitter's platform can become.

11. Big company but everyone can make massive impact

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- work on a meaningful platform that is still growing and still has lots of potential
    - work with smart, passionate people. The composition of the work force is much more diverse in terms of personality and background than your average bay area tech company
    - San Francisco location. No need to commute to a campus along the Peninsula

Cons

- Twitter will forever be trying to shed its hacky culture image. You never quite feel like you are cutting edge or doing things right.
    - Getting better at this but still too many managers.

Advice to Management

Keep choosing the best of the best in terms of leadership so that we can eliminate the lower levels of management