Twitter

Smart people, huge impact

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great core values, eng principles, and org skills help everyone be better employees and build the best products
    Twitter University makes learning scala, python, and even management a breeze.
    Extreme transparency from the leadership.
    You get to work on an incredibly important product with huge impacts on the world.
    Low performers are actually fired.
    Great perks - food, barista
    Impact is rewarded, not politics.
    Engineering management encourages rigor.
    Work/life balance is great, I get a ton done and work 10-6.

Cons

As the company grows up, the old hacker culture and the new rigorous engineering cultures are clashing a bit. Gone are the days of shipping lots of hacky MVPs and moving on to the next shiny thing. This is a product that hundreds of millions of people use, so rigor has gone up a lot. This can result in different engineering philosophies and different levels of quality in the same system.

Love it!

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

Amazing food awesome culture of transparency. Management works really hard.

Cons

Nothing much to say here

Best place to work!

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, amazing opportunity and the ability to see your work impact the world everyday

Cons

growing pains that come along with any company that is growing at rapid speed

Keep doing amazing things and inspiring the team each day

Clear communication from the Execs, Empowering Culture, Motivational Mission

I have been working at Twitter full-time

Pros

You work with a platform that is connecting people everyday to the world, letting voices be heard, sparking revolutions and democratising the world at large. If that doesn't motivate you - chances are very few things will :)

The culture is empowering - You are the master of what you want to create here and the company stands behind you for support.

Leadership is very transparent and approachable. I've worked in two big global companies before and the level of transparency here is my favourite thing.

Cons

We're still figuring some things out so things are constantly evolving. If that's not something someone is comfortable with then I can see how that might be a problem for them.

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits - including outstanding catering and lots of social activities. Great 'one team' culture. Lots of opportunities to learn, grow and move around the company. This is place that makes you feel and live passionately - I love working here!

Cons

The HQ is pretty big now so can feel a bit like a University campus. There is a lack of process for certain goals - which can be frustrating when trying to achieve things on a tight time scale!

Really smart, hungry people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, it is always great to work for a place that plays such a big part in our society.

Employee perks are outstanding.

The people around me are some of the best in their industry.

This is the place for professionals who like challenges and are ready to help this company reach its never ending potential. I am proud to say that i work for a company that has a lot to prove to the public and to know that I play a role in that growth makes me really proud of what i do.

Cons

Lack of diversity.

Best company, job, and product I've ever seen

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Exceptional office culture and passion for the product
    - Transparent leadership that has a very clear vision for the future of Twitter -- and is always open to share it!
    - Wonderful people, really cannot say enough on this one!
    - A product that works and adds true value to our users and partners -- I've worked for MANY tech companies and this is not always easy to find

Cons

Honestly, nothing. I'm saying this in comparison to the last 4 tech companies I've worked for!

Thank you for being so transparent, having relationships with our clients, and investing in the right products!

Fast paced environment, lots to learn and plenty of room to grow

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative and transparent culture
    - Awesome, smart, and open minded people that really care about the company and each other
    - Lots of opportunity to influence change, advance and build your own career path
    - Favors promoting from within

Cons

- Internal tools and processes can be lacking or confusing; Somewhat expected given the rapid growth the company has experienced in such a short period of time
    - Criteria for promotion is ambiguous
    - New hire process is still a work in progress

- Continue to be transparent with employees on positive issues as well as concerns with the company.

Great colleagues + world-changing technology

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues: Everyone I have come into contact with is smart and eager. (Almost) everyone wants to help you get your job done.

Time-off: "Unlimited" time off policy is great if you know how to get sh*t done and set your own boundaries, and have a good boss. The first two are up to you, but the last one is on the company to set the right expectations. For me, so far so good.

Other benefits: Mobile subsidy, free food (way better options in SF HQ than the distributed offices), wear jeans and kicks to work. Salary is ok but not awesome.

Cons

This is a large company that is also still a startup. Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Those who are good communicators and connecters will do well and ad value - but it can be frustrating.

New Team, Same Love

Current Employee - User Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - User Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistency of top notch work and people is apparently as I've moved from the revenue org to the product org.
    - People are friendly, helpful, and collaborative, no hidden agendas!
    - People are brilliant but humble
    - Work is impactful, interesting, and fun!

Cons

Only small issue is that as the company grows, bureacracy becomes more apparently.
    However, having working for large companies in the past, the level of attention that Twitter gives to ensuring we don't be come another "big company" is impressive and deserve applaud.

Keeping doing what you're doing.
    Continuing to communicate fearlessly to build trust is invaluable and really appreciated!