Twitter

Twitter Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo

Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 20 reviews)

• a great food, you gain 20 pounds) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We're growing super fast and there are some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced environment with great people.

Data Scientist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company mission, Twitter truly led by core set of values.

The food, great restaurant quality food with good variety.

Starting to become more data-driven, great to see engineering efforts being more guided by analytics research.

ConsOffice in shady part of town, not too great when leaving late at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite stock price, keep vision focused on long-term trajectory!

Fun, exciting place to work, but has it's issues

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTons of exceptionally smart people, good benefits, open office with great food/snacks, always something fun/interesting going on like happy hours or celebrity visits, close to Bart

ConsLots of growing pains due to rapid expansion, sometimes cramped office, over-committed managers, increasing levels of hierarchy leading to increased "politics", frequent re-orgs

Advice to Senior ManagementAggressively enforce the no-more-than-10-direct-reports rule for managers. Ensure that managers are helping their employees succeed, rather than just punishing them when they fail.

Constant Change

Site Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are a good number of Smart people, plus there are decent benefits, and there are interesting challenges with new technology

ConsConstant re-organization, probably trying to grow too quickly. Working with some teams is a lot worse than working with other teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, and try to provide better opportunities to change groups

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work-life balance

ProsWorking in tech industry in San Francisco

ConsRidiculous rent in San Francisco

great

Proslots of people to talk to

Conslots of people to talk to about problems

Internship

Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat working environment - relaxed, well paced, and great perks like free food and free shuttle. Interns are treated very much like full time employees, and are generally given full-time caliber work.

ConsDepending on the team it can be frustrating, with blockers being slow to resolve, but they do a good job of giving interns projects that are shielded from these things.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntern hosts could be chosen slightly better.

Great place to work!

Human Resources (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOutstanding positive energy - passionate employees, working on things that matter. Employee benefits package is great (free medical benefits, three free meals a day at HQ, 401K and stock purchase plans, to name a few). Great executive leadership.

ConsPush for open and fearless communication, but can be passive at times. Employees find it hard to manage work/life balance, but likely due to passion for the product.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree food. Great responsibility.Great office. Start up environment. Intelligent people

ConsGetting big is actually troubling the company

Advice to Senior ManagementIts for Managers out there.
    When giving a project, you must define what you want or else the project will be vague and never will be completed.
    Please give feedback honestly. Everybody welcomes encouragement but positive criticism is needed for a guy to correct himself and develop.

A very fun and dynamic place

Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou'll get amazing challenges along with a very solid engineering culture plus the chance to have global impact.

ConsHonestly, none that I can think of.

You won't regret to have a job here.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsReady for IPO means good benefit + various projects + strong will for growth.
    People are awesome: we really care about each other.
    Fascinating food!

ConsReally not much cons I can think of. If there is one, it should be "I really want a laptop larger than 13 inches".
    Oh, even better if we have more positions for working standing up.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!