Twitter

Updated December 18, 2014
4.1

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 24 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An unparalleled environment that is supportive, creative, and values-driven

Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My direct team is first class—I really don't think there's another company with a stronger department than ours. As a result, my colleagues are incredibly innovative, collaborative, and fun. I learn something new every day, and my manager is an incredible advocate on my behalf. I see Twitter's core values acted upon frequently, and I really believe the company operates with incredible integrity. The compensation and perks are wonderful—and though my work/life balance occasionally teeters against my favor—my workload is generally respected. I am incredibly optimistic about our future—and I strongly believe I can be at Twitter for a long time, as inter-department and office transfer is strongly supported.

Leadership constantly stresses the importance of the employees—their contributions are highlighted, and I get the sense that our satisfaction is paramount. It's really easy to do your best work here.

Cons

I feel like any "cons" at Twitter are nit-picking. As the company grows, it's harder to find the information you need (though they're working on that), or the people with whom you need to speak. The rapid pace of the business means we make mistakes that we don't always own up to externally, even though we'd like to. Internal critiques can be occasionally be brutal, and externally we're an easy target for the media (it can be tough to ignore). Engineering and Product teams seem to have a less positive experience than those in the Revenue group, though I'm really hopeful that will change now that leadership is secure.

Our internal transparency and candor is one of the most special things about Twitter. Please continue to support it, both conceptually and by investing in tools that enable it. Please continue to reduce politics within the Engineering and product organization. And most importantly, please support meaningful change over incremental tweaks.

I love working here. Great culture, opportunities and benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

I have been at Twitter for about a year and a half and it's been awesome. I've been afforded increasing professional development opportunities over the course of my time, and have been consistently impressed by the awesome benefits - no accrued vacation, great healthcare etc, lots of visiting VIPs and more.

The culture is also great. Twitter has done a good job of maintaining a startup-eque vibe despite being 3000+ people. That really comes across in the day-to-day: having random conversations over lunch, or at the themed happy hours where people are super friendly and welcoming. Transparency is also important and respected.

In my opinion, Twitter has a really bright future and it's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time

Good intentions, but needs more direction

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good here. Everyone is lax about time off and hours. Perks are among the better in the region. Training program is very effective. Well run company all-hands meetings. There are a lot of documented company values, so you can find a few to identify with. Upper management realize change is needed, both in paying down technical debt and also improving employee satisfaction.

Cons

It is often hard to follow the connection between engineering and what the company is doing, particularly recently as there has been a lot of turn-over.

Most of software components are custom, operate on custom runtimes, and written in Scala. This means little opportunity to bring existing experience with you, and a frustrating learning curve, as internal tools are often complicated.

Even if there are some very talented staff here, there are many inexperienced or old guard who control or create processes. This surfaces as rules and tools that feel dated vs other tech companies.

There is a focus and perception that engineering is done one-way and in one place, but things are done many ways in many places.

Take a holistic view of how things operate. Focus on technical debt is good, but vision and direction makes the difference between making things better, and competitive with other companies, vs digging a deeper hole.

Try permitting or even promoting teams to run their software projects in the most modern and effective way, regardless of status quo or what's considered modern by senior staff at Twitter. Officially free them from having to use the tools developed in house. Don't let "freedom to do things how you choose" stay the hidden secret of effective teams, or only permitted via acquisitions.

Those making decisions that affect teams and productivity need to understand their choices have high impact, and should be measured as such. Changes should make Twitter better than other companies, not just better than Twitter. Thrashing upper management isn't necessarily the solution.

Having a great time @Twitter

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Really smart people and tons of challenging projects.
    - Feel energized to go to work in the morning - since my work can have a big impact on the world.
    - Really good compensation/benefits.
    - Tons of learning opportunities in Engineering.

Cons

Since Twitter is now expanding really fast, there are some growing pains like any other company would face. There have been some reorganizations towards that end, but everyone here is fully committed to ensuring the long-term success of Twitter.

The senior management is doing a great job - ensuring that the company provides a great platform to its users. I have to say - keep up the great work !

Promising Company But Management Falling Apart

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, food, great cutting edge technology

Cons

inexperienced managment making bad decisions with increasing frequency

Bring in new Sr. Managment that knows how to run and grow a mature comp;any

Women beware

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are amazing including the food, unlimited PTO, medical/dental/vision, gym reimbursement, celebrity visits, and overall compensation package. Unfortunately these perks make for a glossy exterior trying to compensate for the rotting core.

Cons

Work life balance is frowned upon. If you're not in the office late into the evening and answering emails on the weekend you're not working hard enough.

Good luck trying to focus in one of the worst open floor plan offices I have ever worked in. Row after row of bench style desks where stretching your arms might mean an awkward apology to the coworkers sitting on either side of you less than 3 feet away. They typically cram 50-100 people in a given area with no barriers, not even half walls, so you spend the majority of your working day trying to drown out the distractions.

Management is unprofessional and frequently in a position just one level higher than they should be. There is no coherent vision for the company except ignore what's best for the users if it means money can be made.

Finally, there's a reason why Twitter reported the worst representation of women in technical roles (90% male, 10% female). This place is a brogrammer haven. As a woman your faced with a culture that screams petulant college bro from the first day you walk through the doors. Women are frequently given work of lesser importance, have their ideas attributed their male colleagues, are passed up for promotions, and generally made to feel unwelcome. To top it off the women's organizations within Twitter carry no real weight at the company. They are open to all employees so women don't have a safe place to talk about the serious issues facing them without it being made into some kind of joke by male engineers or used against them later.

Stop driving out the talented managers you have and promoting the incompetent ones left behind. Also actions speak louder than words, you need to do something substantive if you want to keep the diminishing pool of technical women you have let alone attract new ones.

software engineer intern at Twitter

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

talented people, good food, nice work environment

Cons

San Francisco is too crowded and not so easy for life (not safe)

bad culture, bad engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

okay perks, good salary, some interesting work

Cons

leadership is bad. culture is very weird - I was in one of the hardest working teams, but on average people worked 40 hours a week and a great deal of that was spent not actually working. very easy to see why the company is struggling to increase profits because under-achieving people are paid high salaries to barely work. the engineers are not smart (I do not understand why so many people say their bar is high) and not all that fun to work with.

do not hand down solutions to engineers. let them engineer. figure out your plan and stick to it. don't let personal problems (or your over-inflated ego) push good employees out of the company (that one is directed at Costolo).

great people but something is off with management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great peers and there are many perks around the office such as free meals and famous people stopping by for talks.

Cons

The management seems off, I guess they are running trying to fix a lagging user retention by doing whatever they can.

Although they talk about training and hack week, this was hard to get and frowned on by management. Training is not supported by management.

Amazing internship

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was very easy to communicate and get support on what you're working on, as Twitter has a very open workplace. The role obviously varies from team to team, but on my team, I was treated similarly to a new grad full-time. People generally cared about the company, and everyone was exceedingly nice and eager to help.

Cons

Still a relatively new, growing company and sometimes lacks the infrastructure / tools and stability a more mature company might have.

Keep it up, I loved my manager.