Twitter

Updated January 26, 2015
4.0

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo
Dick Costolo

Pros
  • Team meetings on the roof are the best, great teamwork and a lot of smart people (in 24 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people, interesting things to work on, and great food (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains despite the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

• Distributed office can sometimes feel disconnected from the HQ in San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

126 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic place to intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible time off, mentorship availabilities are fantastic. Food is out of the world, and pay is pretty decent. I was able to pick my own project, which doesn't happen at every company.

Cons

The onboarding process is painfully slow. Watch out for a fair amount of corporate speak, etc. I get the sense that many people are drinking the Kool-Aid maybe a bit too much.

An unparalleled environment that is supportive, creative, and values-driven

Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My direct team is first class—I really don't think there's another company with a stronger department than ours. As a result, my colleagues are incredibly innovative, collaborative, and fun. I learn something new every day, and my manager is an incredible advocate on my behalf. I see Twitter's core values acted upon frequently, and I really believe the company operates with incredible integrity. The compensation and perks are wonderful—and though my work/life balance occasionally teeters against my favor—my workload is generally respected. I am incredibly optimistic about our future—and I strongly believe I can be at Twitter for a long time, as inter-department and office transfer is strongly supported.

Leadership constantly stresses the importance of the employees—their contributions are highlighted, and I get the sense that our satisfaction is paramount. It's really easy to do your best work here.

Cons

I feel like any "cons" at Twitter are nit-picking. As the company grows, it's harder to find the information you need (though they're working on that), or the people with whom you need to speak. The rapid pace of the business means we make mistakes that we don't always own up to externally, even though we'd like to. Internal critiques can be occasionally be brutal, and externally we're an easy target for the media (it can be tough to ignore). Engineering and Product teams seem to have a less positive experience than those in the Revenue group, though I'm really hopeful that will change now that leadership is secure.

Our internal transparency and candor is one of the most special things about Twitter. Please continue to support it, both conceptually and by investing in tools that enable it. Please continue to reduce politics within the Engineering and product organization. And most importantly, please support meaningful change over incremental tweaks.

Great culture, benefits and team mates, but sub-par middle management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

its in SF; top management is solid; high growth; High market awareness; strong culture of transparency

Cons

lacks objective based management; getting bureaucratic; still working through plans for career management; political battles are rising

think big; find the rockstars and start empowering them

I love working here. Great culture, opportunities and benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter

Pros

I have been at Twitter for about a year and a half and it's been awesome. I've been afforded increasing professional development opportunities over the course of my time, and have been consistently impressed by the awesome benefits - no accrued vacation, great healthcare etc, lots of visiting VIPs and more.

The culture is also great. Twitter has done a good job of maintaining a startup-eque vibe despite being 3000+ people. That really comes across in the day-to-day: having random conversations over lunch, or at the themed happy hours where people are super friendly and welcoming. Transparency is also important and respected.

In my opinion, Twitter has a really bright future and it's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time

Smoke and Mirrors - Culture of fear not talent

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Food
    Nice Kitchen areas
    Great Co-workers
    Occasional special guests

Cons

Bro-heavy culture
    People either quit; are pushed out or get fired
    New hires are not set for success
    There is absolutely no job security
    Immature Management decisions
    Focus on short term results
    Constant Re-orgs
    Odd Promotion decisions
    Run by ex-googlers that hire and promote their own
    VERY Political
    Success is achieved thru smart politics not skill
    Recruiting process a joke
    Accounting team and processes a mystery
    Bro-heavy culture

Come up with a long term business model. Fix the poisonous culture. Work with employees to find a solution, instead of laying them off and hurting their careers in the process. Too many have become collateral damage because of management deciding on another re-org and needing to get rid of headcount.

Maybe only real change will happen when you cut of the head of the snake and its minions? Twitter has a responsibility to its shareholders. If it keeps going like this, my stock will not be worth anything by the time I am vested. (If I last that long)

Good intentions, but needs more direction

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good here. Everyone is lax about time off and hours. Perks are among the better in the region. Training program is very effective. Well run company all-hands meetings. There are a lot of documented company values, so you can find a few to identify with. Upper management realize change is needed, both in paying down technical debt and also improving employee satisfaction.

Cons

It is often hard to follow the connection between engineering and what the company is doing, particularly recently as there has been a lot of turn-over.

Most of software components are custom, operate on custom runtimes, and written in Scala. This means little opportunity to bring existing experience with you, and a frustrating learning curve, as internal tools are often complicated.

Even if there are some very talented staff here, there are many inexperienced or old guard who control or create processes. This surfaces as rules and tools that feel dated vs other tech companies.

There is a focus and perception that engineering is done one-way and in one place, but things are done many ways in many places.

Take a holistic view of how things operate. Focus on technical debt is good, but vision and direction makes the difference between making things better, and competitive with other companies, vs digging a deeper hole.

Try permitting or even promoting teams to run their software projects in the most modern and effective way, regardless of status quo or what's considered modern by senior staff at Twitter. Officially free them from having to use the tools developed in house. Don't let "freedom to do things how you choose" stay the hidden secret of effective teams, or only permitted via acquisitions.

Those making decisions that affect teams and productivity need to understand their choices have high impact, and should be measured as such. Changes should make Twitter better than other companies, not just better than Twitter. Thrashing upper management isn't necessarily the solution.

Having a great time @Twitter

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Really smart people and tons of challenging projects.
    - Feel energized to go to work in the morning - since my work can have a big impact on the world.
    - Really good compensation/benefits.
    - Tons of learning opportunities in Engineering.

Cons

Since Twitter is now expanding really fast, there are some growing pains like any other company would face. There have been some reorganizations towards that end, but everyone here is fully committed to ensuring the long-term success of Twitter.

The senior management is doing a great job - ensuring that the company provides a great platform to its users. I have to say - keep up the great work !

Promising Company But Management Falling Apart

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, food, great cutting edge technology

Cons

inexperienced managment making bad decisions with increasing frequency

Bring in new Sr. Managment that knows how to run and grow a mature comp;any

Women beware

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are amazing including the food, unlimited PTO, medical/dental/vision, gym reimbursement, celebrity visits, and overall compensation package. Unfortunately these perks make for a glossy exterior trying to compensate for the rotting core.

Cons

Work life balance is frowned upon. If you're not in the office late into the evening and answering emails on the weekend you're not working hard enough.

Good luck trying to focus in one of the worst open floor plan offices I have ever worked in. Row after row of bench style desks where stretching your arms might mean an awkward apology to the coworkers sitting on either side of you less than 3 feet away. They typically cram 50-100 people in a given area with no barriers, not even half walls, so you spend the majority of your working day trying to drown out the distractions.

Management is unprofessional and frequently in a position just one level higher than they should be. There is no coherent vision for the company except ignore what's best for the users if it means money can be made.

Finally, there's a reason why Twitter reported the worst representation of women in technical roles (90% male, 10% female). This place is a brogrammer haven. As a woman your faced with a culture that screams petulant college bro from the first day you walk through the doors. Women are frequently given work of lesser importance, have their ideas attributed their male colleagues, are passed up for promotions, and generally made to feel unwelcome. To top it off the women's organizations within Twitter carry no real weight at the company. They are open to all employees so women don't have a safe place to talk about the serious issues facing them without it being made into some kind of joke by male engineers or used against them later.

Stop driving out the talented managers you have and promoting the incompetent ones left behind. Also actions speak louder than words, you need to do something substantive if you want to keep the diminishing pool of technical women you have let alone attract new ones.

software engineer intern at Twitter

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

talented people, good food, nice work environment

Cons

San Francisco is too crowded and not so easy for life (not safe)