Twitter

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo

Dick Costolo

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best company I've ever worked for.

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart, talented people.
    Management chain who share your values and back you up.
    Company that values social good as well as turning a profit.
    Great working environment.

ConsVery little to complain about.

Awesome!

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great office, fun product.

ConsRapid growth, some people don't understand the product.

Pros & cons abut Twitter

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSenior management is great. Open dialogue & they care about employees, which speaks to following through on their internal values.

ConsLOTS of politics; culture is nothing unique to internet/tech space. Expect to work 6 days/week, real-time platform means dealing with issues whether you're on vacation or watching a game at home on Sunday.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is great at practicing what they preach - thumbs up for CEO Costollo. Work/life balance should be more than having an open beer policy; it should focus on ensuring employees can turn off their computers w/o getting text messages & frantic calls from middle-management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice work if you can get it

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFast-paced, growing company. Lots of responsibility to be had early in your career. Smart people who'll help you learn and grow.

ConsNeed to be self-motivated, resourceful to succeed. If something's broken, don't expect someone else will necessarily fix it. Step up and make it better.

Moving fast, growing fast

San Francisco, CA

Pros-The senior leadership are very open and communicate very well to all employees. Whether it's from email, internal quora-like forum, or the every-other-week all hands meeting.
    -The people who work here are all highly intelligent and really want to make Twitter grow.
    -As they have grown and went through some growing pains, there are more processes and structure on how things are done. A good thing.
    -Experimentation is valued
    - things are changing every month
    - great learning system. lots of classes on all technical and soft topics, and people are welcome to signup even if not directly related to your work.
    -onboarding/orientation process great and will be tailored to your job function.
    -standard silicon valley tech benefits and more.

Cons- headcount growing very quickly. Due to this, lots more middle management. Although the org chart is still flatter than at other companies.
    - For those coming from other companies or new-grads, one may feel that there are a lot of meetings. That being said, most of the meetings tend to be pretty efficient and timely...because people may have to go to another meeting
    -since the IPO and ensuing employee stock lockup expiration, people from all levels of the company are leaving.

Addenda to an earlier review

SRE (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI have nothing to add from my previous comments, but this requires twenty words, so I need to add them.

ConsWorking in SRE has some serious issues. There is an embedded approach -- so one gets one's work assignments and performance assessments from an engineering organization, but promotion/compensation decisions are made by SRE management. It depends on how engaged the SRE management is with the SRE, and some SRE managers are extremely disengaged, or are willing to accept the word of the engineering manager. The engineering manager does not have any incentive to promote the work of the SRE, particularly when the work is a joint project with engineering. Similarly, engineering managers will be more focused on the work of their direct reports, and rightly so.

This makes the entire SRE employee review process capricious. Strong SREs are more readily lost through bad management, and SRE reviews (conducted entirely within SRE management structure) are more prone to second hand information and favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementReverse this structure. If SREs are to be embedded, make their performance evaluations the responsibility of the engineering managers, and make the SRE management consultants to that process, providing expertise in SRE training and skills.

Awesome place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking with people who are smart and passionate about what they do.

ConsI have no cons so far.

Best place to work in the city

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFood, culture, manager, team-- work life is simple. Very supportive and have lot of co ordination.

They serve excellent food all the time .

ConsPeople from south bay, its bad and long to travel

Love it

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing company, strong leadership, great career opportunities, ability to make an impact.

ConsPace within high growth environment can be challenging to manage.

Open, fast-moving culture. Fun

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsUnusually good work-life balance, the best lunch I've ever had, good pay. I'm very happy here.

Unlike Facebook or Google, Twitter is still building a lot of new, great things - there isn't much maintenance or incremental work going on.

ConsYou've got to be good at learning new things without great docs - the company has been growing so quickly that many projects are poorly documented.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great things you do.

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!

Twitter – Why Work for Us?

Twitter helps you create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers. An information network Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest stories, ideas, opinions and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twitter reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Twitter CEO Dick Costolo. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by Twitter employees.