Two Men and a Truck

Brig Sorber

Customer Service is key

Front Office Manager (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

Prosproper training
    great boss with a good attitude. Willing to teach and coach up all employees.
    flexible schedule.

Cons-not guaranteed hours all the time. Sometimes there was no moves so there was no hours.

Advice to Senior Management-continue to give friendly customer service and be personable with each individual.

Lead Mover

Mover (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsI'm young and fit so the physical workout is good. Pay is okay along with tips. Can grow quickly within the company. Enjoyed working with Two Men and A Truck and took ownership to be the best mover possible and pleasing our customers.

ConsA lot of jealousy for those who may have been employed longer and the new kid arrives on the block blowing them away. Schedule is inconsistent. Was short $200 in my check and still haven't been reimbursed. A cut throat business. You work hard, receive positive feedback from customers and manager is exalting your work performance, but other co-workers can bad mouth you and management will take their word which outweighs all positive feedback then they fire you based on co-workers comments. Totally cut throat and unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick up and stand behind your good, hard working employees and do not allow others to steer you away from what you already know about your good employees.

Difficult work, with tolerable pay

Mover (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsIf you can work hard, you can get treated well. The pay is okay, and depending on the location the hours are there to get. Especially with the worker turnover, when there is a new group of new employees still getting used to the work, there is space left to pick up what they cannot. Also, if you work hard there is the potential to boost your pay with bonuses and tips. The job definitely keeps you in shape, though. And people usually appreciate what you are doing because they tend to understand they couldn't do it themselves.

ConsThe hours are inconsistent. You have to basically assume you will work everyday although that is not necessarily the case. The schedule comes out every day, but there is an expectation that you be able to work if someone cannot work that day (at our franchise you're "on call" until 930). The pay is not quite what you would hope for the degree of difficulty that comes with the job. And as I said, there is a lot of worker turnover, so there are phases where some employees can't quite hack it and you'll have to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think worker turnover might be lower if the pay was a bit higher, and if the schedule were a little bit less chaotic. It may be too much of a strain on income to require people to schedule a week ahead, but that would take a lot of stress off of the workers. And honestly, improving the issue of worker turnover would likely greatly improve the reputation of the company because the more experienced movers tend to be better at satisfying the customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fair company

Driver (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPromotes from within
    Support staff
    Not shy about overtime

ConsWinters are slow, quick to hire in season and quick to cut in the winter, good for full time seasonal.

False Promises

Mover (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsOccasional Tips, New Customer Faces Everytime, New Houses To Move Everytime, Remote Environment

ConsLack of Hours, Compensation, Employees, Management

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate more on an hourly wage to the employees, because this just isn't worth the work.

A good summer job for a college kid.

Mover (Current Employee) Des Plaines, IL

ProsWith Two Men And A Truck you're killing two birds with one stone. You're making money AND working out at the same time. Traveling is cool, as you will do that with this job. You meet a lot of people, since everyday you move someone. I work out of the Des Plaines office in Illinois and all of the workers are really cool and fun to be with. For the most part the managers are pretty cool too. You're not heavily supervised on the job. They offer you raises once you've been there for 6 months. Tips really make the job though. Biggest tip I made was $150, and I've heard of people getting more than that. The first $500 you make is untaxed.

ConsThe job is more of a seasonal job. Summer is the busiest time for moving, which is why it makes such a great summer job. Winter tends to be slow. Some of the jobs really kill you physically and seem to last forever. Very physically demanding work, make sure you're in shape before becoming a mover. The nature of the job causes the hours to be very irregular. Some days you'll have a 3 hour job and go home, other days you'll have an 8 or 10 hour job, you never know until you come to the office. It's very hard to make plans. They give you a voicemail to call every night at 5:30 where the manager reads off the schedule, so you don't know if you're working the next day until the night before. Believe it or not, some customers don't tip, which will ruin your day. There are some weeks over the summer where the managers purposely over book. You might work 2 weeks straight with no days off. And if you request a day off during this busy week, they will deny your request and force you to work. The company only pays you for moving. A considerable portion of your day will involve sitting in a truck in traffic, this time you don't get paid for. In the beginning of the day you will sit in the office anywhere from 30 min to an hour waiting while management frantically put the paperwork for the day together, and this time you don't get paid for. They will also hound you to become a driver if you have a good driving record, even if you say you don't want to. You start out at $10 per hour as a mover and $13 as a driver. This is definitely not something you want to be doing for the rest of your life. It's a job, not a career. Very high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Don't book 40 jobs in one day when you only have 50 - 60 workers. It makes it too strenuous on the workers and is a good way to get people to quit. Let your workers know if they are extras or not in the voicemail. Having workers come into work only to find out that they are extras and send them home is a kick to the face and it wastes gas money.

Something new every day.

Driver/Mover (Current Employee)

ProsLike the title says some thing new every day. All locations are independently owned and opperated so they all have there own way of doing things. My location provides flexable scheduling and a great crew.

ConsNot knowing what time you will be off and Friday and Saturday are the first days not book up so here you will work long hard days on the weekends. The customers can be the worse part of the job, if you get a bad one you can be stuck with them all day.

Good pay, Inconsistent Hours

Mover (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsThe pay is decent for the amount of work you do. This job is good for daily exercise, and will keep you in great shape. Every day is a new set of jobs, and keeps the job from getting boring. Most customers will tip the movers on a given job, which makes the job well worth the time effort.

ConsThe schedule is rolled out daily, so planning around the schedule will be difficult. The amount of hours is dependent on how many jobs are available, so hours can be very inconsistent.

Tough, exhausting work

Mover (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsSometimes people tip well and you walk away with cash.

ConsDo not get paid enough hourly. You have to rely on tips

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your movers more

Fantastic culture; excellent leadership at home office

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFrom the top - the family who founded, and continues to help steer the company, are fantastic, humble, appreciative, approachable and caring people. The leadership team they've since built around them are visionary, smart, integrated and forward-facing.

ConsDynamic changes are tough in the best of circumstances - to grow quickly, you must constantly change. Growing the headcount quickly while also keeping the culture and 'feel' intact is a tough balance to strike.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to care about the people, the public, the employees in HQ and across the system, and the brand - and the sky is the limit for this company.

Worked for Two Men and a Truck? Contribute to the Community!