TxDOT
www.dot.state.tx.us Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

TxDOT Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

Respected state agency - overall supportive of employees - Advancement Opportunities !

I have been working at TxDOT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFunding is dedicated by State Constitution (Hwy Fund 6) so agency does not have to compete with others for funding from General Revenue. TxDOT managers comply with requirements for actions such as annual performance reviews, coaching, training, etc. Agency follows its own rules (not just lip service). Helps ensure employees have info needed to grow and advance. Vacation and sick leave accrues monthly and managers do not punish staff for taking the time off that's earned. Paid days off for state and federal holidays. State retirement pay (lifetime monthly stipend and benefits) after vesting, when employee reaches 'rule of 80' or retirement age. Tremendous opportunities for advancement, since many employees are now eligible to retire (more w/in 2 - 3 years)!

ConsSalaries are lower than similar in private sector and in some other Texas governmental entities. Structure and procedures can be too rigid, which can slow changes needed when circumstances change. Appointment of business people to executive positions (w/o knowledge of state agency processes and who do not respect or understand the need to follow requirements from the Legislature) makes it difficult to meet their demands and also comply with Legislative mandates. Several studies were done on TxDOT policies, processes, procedures, etc. with concrete recommendations for improvements ... many of which were ignored or addresses with mainly cosmetic compliance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind that TxDOT is a government agency, not a for-profit business, and the goal is to serve the public not just save or make money. Several of the 'improvements' made by executives that appear to save money or improve processes are actually hampering productivity, damaging morale, and making staff jobs more difficult. Understand that actions required by the Legislature are mandatory, not suggestions, so stop pushing staff/managers to find loop holes to get around complying (for the sake of 'business like efficiency').

Good at first, but it devolved into more difficult as I was forced into an unwanted transfer.

Information Specialist II (Former Employee)

I worked at TxDOT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are provided, a professional attitude.

ConsSometimes a hard won position can be negated by computer upgrades and you could be sent into a Quota-mad work section.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as management continues to work with quotas, quality will ALWAYS suffer, and the efforts of safety-minded data will be tainted.

Great agency, lots of history, treats their employees fairly, best job I've had.

Austin, TX

I have been working at TxDOT full-time for more than a year

ProsPlenty of advancement opportunities.
Able to work on a variety of projects.
Work with smart people.
Treated fairly and given the ability to work independently.
Enjoy coming to work and being a part of a great state agency that provides a vital service to citizens.
TxDOT has greatly improved and modernized within the last few years. It's technology is now in line with the 21st century.

ConsThere is often a breakdown in communication within and outside my division.
Divisions and sections often work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the internal communcations within the agency.
Rework and revamp the Crossroads intranet site so that it is more useful and organized for employees.
Give employees a real channel to communicate ideas and provide feedback on those ideas.
Improve communication from upper management to employees.

Great people, but typical government job with limited advancement opportunity.

Transportation Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at TxDOT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people are great, and the types of jobs within the organization are almost unlimited. There really is something for everybody.

ConsAdvancement is based more on seniority than performance. If you want to speed up the process at all, don't just be the best at your job, be ready to move...multiple times all over the state.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut some dead wood, and give younger employees the opportunity to advance their careers.

Employees here really care about each other.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TxDOT full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking at TxDOT really was a family environment. It always seemed like everyone knew everyone...even though there are 12k employees! Very secure place to work. And the work was never dull.

ConsChanges in upper-level management (administration) and persistent reorganizations have changed the culture somewhat over the past few years - people seem to feel a bit less secure in their jobs, and feel less appreciated and understood under this new leadership. Additionally, the culture has suffered a bit from a large number of retirements, with vacancies filled mostly from outside the organization, rather than promoting from within, which has damaged morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTxDOT became the nation's best DOT because of it's people. Value them, empower them, and let them do their jobs - they won't let you down.

Job agency does is admirable. Some supervisors are unscrupulous schemers, liars and thieves.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TxDOT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDoes excellent work for Texas and its citizens

ConsAgency supports supervisors even in the face of evidence of lying, discrimination and of other wrongdoing. Appeals are useless since the whole process is for labeling the agency correct in its actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck employee claims against what supervisors allege, you'll probably find some are using the system and it's flaws for ill-gotten gain. EEOC is investigating now.

Ever changing

I have been working at TxDOT full-time

ProsGood benefits. Training is always available.

ConsConstant change. Lack of communication

Enjoyed the internship experience

Inspector (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at TxDOT as an intern for less than a year

ProsGained great field experience in construction

ConsTypically 8 hours a day, but the day can extend unexpectedly

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great career choice! Although, in the last decade there has been a decline in employee morale.

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at TxDOT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTypically a very stable and satisfying place to work. Given the American corporate culture of today, it is still better to serve in State Government.

ConsConstant change created by the legislative political environment weighs heavy on employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, you have an enormous customer base to keep satisfied. Remember, it cannot all be run from the top...allow the districts to share the decision making.

Government job

Engineering Tech (Current Employee)
Laredo, TX

I have been working at TxDOT as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou will never get laid off
Secure
Stable
Little to to pressure, ever

ConsMinimal pay in engineering, minimal

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TxDOT reviews and ratings. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by TxDOT employees.