TxDOT

www.dot.state.tx.us

TxDOT Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

Great agency, lots of history, treats their employees fairly, best job I've had.

(Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPlenty of advancement opportunities.
    Able to work on a variety of projects.
    Work with smart people.
    Treated fairly and given the ability to work independently.
    Enjoy coming to work and being a part of a great state agency that provides a vital service to citizens.
    TxDOT has greatly improved and modernized within the last few years. It's technology is now in line with the 21st century.

ConsThere is often a breakdown in communication within and outside my division.
    Divisions and sections often work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the internal communcations within the agency.
    Rework and revamp the Crossroads intranet site so that it is more useful and organized for employees.
    Give employees a real channel to communicate ideas and provide feedback on those ideas.
    Improve communication from upper management to employees.

Engineering Tech V Summer Hire

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat retirement, and health benefits.

ConsNo cons to working for the state.

Learned a lot due to working on the field

Engineering Tech I (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI learned stuff that I couldn't learn through textbooks, such as the different machinery that goes into placing concrete, etc.

ConsBeing outside for 9 hours a day in the heat of Austin definitely wore me out

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great experience, coworkers are friendly and helpful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, great people to work with

ConsPublic think you are the enemy

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do a good job at asking on how the project is coming along

Good experience with many opportunities

Engineering Tech V (Former Employee) Kaufman, TX

ProsRelatively good pay and good benefits.
    I had the opportunity to manage/inspect some significant projects with a lot of responsibility very quickly.

ConsQuite a bit of outside work in the summer heat.

Engineering Tech IV

ProsBeing intern is great here. I do not know about an actual work. I also found having holidays a perk. Makes me have something to look forward to when work is mounting up.

ConsThere is a lot of interesting people around here. Everything is so outdated and boring

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be more informed in what is happening at the bottom and not assume things

Good group of folks

Business Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe pay was really pretty good and the agency rules were better than most other state agencies. I felt treated like an adult more here than with other state agencies. It is even legal to carry on premises if you have a CHL.

ConsYour experience can vary greatly depending on what group you are with and who your manager is. The IT Dept is still feeling rather betrayed by how the outsourcing was done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so quick to dump someone on probationary status who is actually trying. If there is an issue, they may have a medical condition causing it and be unable to see to it because they are not allowed to take time off while on probationary status.

Respected state agency - overall supportive of employees - Advancement Opportunities !

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFunding is dedicated by State Constitution (Hwy Fund 6) so agency does not have to compete with others for funding from General Revenue. TxDOT managers comply with requirements for actions such as annual performance reviews, coaching, training, etc. Agency follows its own rules (not just lip service). Helps ensure employees have info needed to grow and advance. Vacation and sick leave accrues monthly and managers do not punish staff for taking the time off that's earned. Paid days off for state and federal holidays. State retirement pay (lifetime monthly stipend and benefits) after vesting, when employee reaches 'rule of 80' or retirement age. Tremendous opportunities for advancement, since many employees are now eligible to retire (more w/in 2 - 3 years)!

ConsSalaries are lower than similar in private sector and in some other Texas governmental entities. Structure and procedures can be too rigid, which can slow changes needed when circumstances change. Appointment of business people to executive positions (w/o knowledge of state agency processes and who do not respect or understand the need to follow requirements from the Legislature) makes it difficult to meet their demands and also comply with Legislative mandates. Several studies were done on TxDOT policies, processes, procedures, etc. with concrete recommendations for improvements ... many of which were ignored or addresses with mainly cosmetic compliance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind that TxDOT is a government agency, not a for-profit business, and the goal is to serve the public not just save or make money. Several of the 'improvements' made by executives that appear to save money or improve processes are actually hampering productivity, damaging morale, and making staff jobs more difficult. Understand that actions required by the Legislature are mandatory, not suggestions, so stop pushing staff/managers to find loop holes to get around complying (for the sake of 'business like efficiency').

Great people, but typical government job with limited advancement opportunity.

Transportation Engineer II (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great, and the types of jobs within the organization are almost unlimited. There really is something for everybody.

ConsAdvancement is based more on seniority than performance. If you want to speed up the process at all, don't just be the best at your job, be ready to move...multiple times all over the state.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut some dead wood, and give younger employees the opportunity to advance their careers.

Employees here really care about each other.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking at TxDOT really was a family environment. It always seemed like everyone knew everyone...even though there are 12k employees! Very secure place to work. And the work was never dull.

ConsChanges in upper-level management (administration) and persistent reorganizations have changed the culture somewhat over the past few years - people seem to feel a bit less secure in their jobs, and feel less appreciated and understood under this new leadership. Additionally, the culture has suffered a bit from a large number of retirements, with vacancies filled mostly from outside the organization, rather than promoting from within, which has damaged morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTxDOT became the nation's best DOT because of it's people. Value them, empower them, and let them do their jobs - they won't let you down.

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!