TxDOT

www.dot.state.tx.us

TxDOT Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

Job agency does is admirable. Some supervisors are unscrupulous schemers, liars and thieves.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDoes excellent work for Texas and its citizens

ConsAgency supports supervisors even in the face of evidence of lying, discrimination and of other wrongdoing. Appeals are useless since the whole process is for labeling the agency correct in its actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck employee claims against what supervisors allege, you'll probably find some are using the system and it's flaws for ill-gotten gain. EEOC is investigating now.

Things have changed in the IT division

IT Division (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMost of the coworkers helpful, friendly.
    On site cafeteria
    Park like areas outside under trees

ConsCan be a little like "Lord of the Flies"
    Branch Managers can be vindictive, lack leadership qualities
    Pay was low, now it's worse

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not live by the golden rule. Huge pay increases for you, employees get our jobs cut. We all work hard and to outsource us ostensibly to save money conflicts with the huge salaries you men are making. We are taking a pay cut and our employment with the state has been cut, while other (current) state employees get raises. Think about what that does to morale and motivation.

Teenagers in charge

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVacation time, medical, steady job hours

ConsMicro managing. Managers don't care what's going on as long as the leads do work

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen your leads better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

welder

Welder (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

Proshours holidays insurance own office partys

Conspoor pay bad superviser too many rules

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up

Every other opportunity is better.

IT (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros* reasonable work hours; almost always 40, unless you want to do more.

Cons* below market salary rates
    * lack of mentoring / direction for new employees
    * lots of arbitrary deadlines
    * culture of poor communication. employees on the ground have little chance of knowing what's actually going on.
    * lots of administrative overhead (detailed timesheets, status reports, a fair number of unnecessary meetings)
    * large bureaucracy makes it difficult to get things done
    * management never makes changes in response to feedback

Advice to Senior ManagementBasically, you have no trust or respect from the employees whatsoever. Management only appears to be interested in cost-cutting and outsourcing, and is destroying the organizational culture. Employees in the halls talk openly about when they're "getting out." Without exaggeration, I can say that this is the worst management I've ever seen, and they could hardly do worse if they were trying.

Not so great.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPeople are great and friendly.

ConsManagement can be a bit overwhelming with unrealistic deadlines. Lack of opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease place realistic deadlines for huge projects.

Good at first, but it devolved into more difficult as I was forced into an unwanted transfer.

Information Specialist II (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBenefits are provided, a professional attitude.

ConsSometimes a hard won position can be negated by computer upgrades and you could be sent into a Quota-mad work section.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as management continues to work with quotas, quality will ALWAYS suffer, and the efforts of safety-minded data will be tainted.

Government job

Engineering Tech (Current Employee) Laredo, TX

ProsYou will never get laid off
    Secure
    Stable
    Little to to pressure, ever

ConsMinimal pay in engineering, minimal

Disappointing in recognition of diligence, respect and lack of advancement in salary raises.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking with the public to help them get answers to their questions and action for their needs when something needs attention on the 80,000 miles of roads maintained.

ConsA great deal of favoritism and cronyism exists while favorites are recognized and advanced and concern for other employees is practically nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate equality of pay for equal work among employees and to encourage supervisors to be more fair and even-handed.

Favoritism, nepotism, engineer-centrism, and to a lesser degree, tenure, are the names of the game here.

Lab Personnel (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThey do have good health benefit, sick leave, and vacation leave days.

ConsIf you are not an engineer, part of the "good ol' boys or GIRLS club, or related (PROTECTED) by a person in an upper position, you can forget about moving up. TxDOT has the mentality that being an engineer means you can also MANAGE people which is obviously (go ahead and ask any younger to middle-aged NON-engineer and ask them if that's true) not reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't listen anyway.

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!