TxDOT

www.dot.state.tx.us
Profile Unclaimed

Office manager 24 yrs

I worked at TxDOT

Pros

Benefits, hours,location, employees,holidays, vacation, sick leave

Cons

political, buddy system, no team work,

The key is to keep moving and connected.

I have been working at TxDOT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always something new to learn...there is no bottom of this pool and the edges are far away. You'll need a buddy system just to tread water in these rough waters.

Cons

Moving into the 21st Century...eventually. A little late for me, but they're finally making progress, now that an armada of auditor's and study after study, it's becoming clear where their real problems lie.

Those 600+ recommendations from Grant Thorton was pretty clear. Please keep the focus. Many are counting on you.

Long term potential if you aren't interested in much advancement or money, unless you are a civil engineer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at TxDOT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of time off potential, especially since they don't pay overtime, and instead earn comp time. If you get fired then you did something completely stupid and unethical because nobody loses their job. Close knit working environment and friendly people. Great place to get career experience to move on elsewhere. Even though the pay is bad, the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The pay. If you are not a CIVIL engineer it's pretty much a dead end place to work. Even for non-engineering positions TxDOT tends to hire engineers for. Upper administration makes decent money but regular employees don't. Management doesn't allow much decision making from regular employees and discourages it. The only potential to become a manager is if someone dies or retires. You are an enemy of the public and the media.

Give employees some decision making ability which encourages ingenuity. Something needs to be done about the pay because those benefits that you use to retain people are getting more and more expensive but the pay isn't going up to help.

fair

Current Employee - Engineering Tech V in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering Tech V in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at TxDOT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

if you are in the right position you can spend a lot of time with your family

Cons

If you are not management or a engineer you do not make any money

pay us more

Not bad but can get redundant

I worked at TxDOT

Pros

Not too much fear of layoffs

Cons

Work can get redundant and can be 8 hours of working on the same thing everyday

Overall, in 22 years, decent place to work and build a career

Former Employee - Purchaser IV in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Purchaser IV in Bryan, TX

I worked at TxDOT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Very good job security if one performs within agency policy. A number of paid holidays. Very good retirement plan. Generally conscientious employees. Excellent concern for the safety of employees. Both work groups in two different locations, co-workers in one, subordinates in another. Excellent job-specific training across the board, all job groups. Very good vacation/sick leave compensation..

Cons

Higher level management not the best nor most competent for their positions. Wages and salaries below comparable jobs in private sector by between 17 and 28 per cent. High turnover in some job groupings due to monetary compensation versus benefit package. No overtime pay: only time off (comp time).

Highest level: exercise more knowledgeable hiring for upper- and mid-management level positions. Reconsider the regional structure and return to district.

Learning

Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at TxDOT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn about highway construction and leadership
    learn to manage project on your own

Cons

Is a lot of favoritism, they dont recognize for your work and salary is not that great

Full of learning and experience by being hands on and observing the everyday life of a full time employee.

I have been working at TxDOT

Pros

Being able to see how things operate first hand.

Cons

No overtime pay, insread transfered to comp-time.

Doing a great job especially with the learning experience that we are put through.

Engineering Tech IV

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at TxDOT as an intern

Pros

Being intern is great here. I do not know about an actual work. I also found having holidays a perk. Makes me have something to look forward to when work is mounting up.

Cons

There is a lot of interesting people around here. Everything is so outdated and boring

You need to be more informed in what is happening at the bottom and not assume things

Good group of folks

Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at TxDOT full-time

Pros

The pay was really pretty good and the agency rules were better than most other state agencies. I felt treated like an adult more here than with other state agencies. It is even legal to carry on premises if you have a CHL.

Cons

Your experience can vary greatly depending on what group you are with and who your manager is. The IT Dept is still feeling rather betrayed by how the outsourcing was done.

Don't be so quick to dump someone on probationary status who is actually trying. If there is an issue, they may have a medical condition causing it and be unable to see to it because they are not allowed to take time off while on probationary status.

TxDOT Photos

Learning to inspect bridge decks
The maintenance department sign crew.

+ Add Photo