Tyco Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
2.9

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver
George R. Oliver

Pros
  • The work/life balance is probably the best attribute to this company (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you (in 6 reviews)

• Many upper management people saw this coming and just left (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Resources of big company. Was good if you were in a role where you got to contribute to decisions. I had no training, no evaluation, and very loose internship goals. Seemed like most people were only working 40 hr/week and had pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Everything seemed to move really slowly. I was not blown away by the other employees. There are very few females.

Empower your people more, and focus on better communication between departments and levels

Solid Company

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to learn various technologies and get a lot a experience. Very flexible management. Many locations so you can typically work close to home.

Cons

At times you are over worked and you get lots of email in your inbox. You are expected to complete work with limited resources.

Consistently give recognition to staff

Tyco is a multi-national holding company streamlining itself to become an operating company.

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, professional management, relatively stable.

Cons

The company is reorganizing and streamlining operations, eliminating departments in individual divisions to hire corporate-wide positions at the new headquarters in Ireland.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Best

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

The best company I ever worked for, the people are great and they are the reason I stay and continue to love going into work

Cons

Salary increases are average; don't expect a lot when it is time for a increase; use your sick days as personal days

Respect your all of your employees; everyone is working towards the same goals including the people who do their jobs and don't look for rewards

Depends on the manager

Current Employee - Install Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Install Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company car, ability to develop as a leader

Cons

Micro managing bosses, mentors that won't let go, even after several years

Let your people lead, you want to have great customer relationships, let your managers make the decisions they need to retain customers, not just make metrics look good.

Slow to change, top heavy, and full of politics

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

You can learn something from the Tax and Treasury departments, they're probably the most cohesive groups in the Company.

Cons

No guidance, or conflicting guidance given by multiple managers.
    Lots of ineffective middle managers who truly only know "how it's been done", and do not strive for improvement or change
    Everyone in corporate is more concerned about appearances than taking a risk

Actually lead by example, mandate employee training aligned with corporate objectives (and don't allow training budgets to just add padding), figure out that Yammer isn't a replacement for all communication channels and is terrible at centralizing key policies, procedures, organization charts, etc.

Think about all of the vendors / contractors we have employed, and realize not a single one of them actually cares about you, the Company, or making Tyco a better place to work.

Program Manager of product catalog

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people - pays well - lots of opportunities

Cons

Unstable environment - too many layoffs -

Must create a stable work enviroment

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salaries were very generous. I did not like my position because I did not really do what was advertised.

Cons

It seemed a bit old fashioned and boring. Management team seem to be involved in how to make numbers to get a bonus instead of being realistic.

Commercial Sales Representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Outside Sales Position. Paid for ramp-up

Cons

Working in the one Texas office was as follows:

1. I was hired with no knowledge of the electronic security industry.
    2. No product training from Tyco, none .. only from pestering my co-workers, independent study, and presentations from vendors. The industry learning curve is 2+ years, even with a background in security.
    3. The technical installation staff is non-existent, Tyco Subs out almost all of their installations to local installers, who will approach the jobs on a basis and priority of who screams the loudest . It is not uncommon for the installers to just walk off of an incomplete job. leaving the client with no system for days at a time. Most of the installers are not trained on the current technology. The sales people are forced to become project managers with the words "I apologize" being the most common phrase used. 70 percent of my time was spent on tasks that had nothing to do with sales and negated any commission you made on a job.
    4. The installation support staff are overwhelmed, inefficient, and ambivalent to the sales staff, and the customers.
    5. Database is old!!, inaccurate, and spread across 4 different divisions, each a separate technology, each with conflicting information, none are integrated. Creating a proposal that should take 2 hours takes a 2 days.
    6. Senior management is only concerned with delivering the sales forecasting information, which in turn determines the projections for the stock. Reverse engineering of those numbers would be interesting.
    7. Middle management is there to make those numbers look right.
    8. The favoritism by the direct sales manager is obvious. A select few get handed jobs on a regular basis. The rules of engagement change at the sales managers whim. The base pay is low, the commissions are paltry, compared to the effort required to bring business in the door, and the sales staff is micro managed and demotivated.
    8. Tyco Could care less about their clients, once they have signed a contract.
    9. Tyco as a company shows no concern for, or value in, the sales people ... the turnover is like a revolving door.
    10. In Texas they will make you have a company car. They pay for all of the gas, maint., and insurance.
    sounds like a benefit until you find out they will charge you around $200.00 per month for the economy car, because of "personal use". If you happen to already have cars, and car payments ... too bad. Taking the car is not an option.

After 100 plus years in business, and being a giant public company, any and all advice to Tyco is like advising a train to slow down before it hits you.

Poor Management

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are many talented people creating some good products.

Cons

Way to much management with no knowledge of the products.

Roll up your sleeves and do some real work!!!

Tyco Photos

Worked for Tyco? Contribute to the Community!