Tyco

Tyco Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver

George R. Oliver

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is probably the best attribute to this company"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "A company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Many upper management people saw this coming and just left"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great experience, good company to work for.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Cranston, RI

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people and work environment. The work is steady and not overbearing. When interacting with other colleges, everyone is friendly and helpful. Managers are not harsh or abusive, they expect you to keep moving forward on your projects, but provide great guidance and advice when you may need it.

ConsThe Economy has caused some incentive promotions and cost of living increases to be short in the last few years. The out of pocket cost of health insurance has also increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are always there to help , guide and support. keep up the good work.

Lots of Opportunity for High Performers

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTyco is a large global company with many business segments, creating lots of room for advancement. I enjoy a great deal of flexibility in my schedule as long as the work gets done.

ConsDue to the recent split of the company from ADT and Pentair, there has been a great deal of shifting strategies and focus. Though i expect this will work itself out in the near term.

Mistake from day one

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Tyco for more than 3 years

Proslarge diversified company that promotes values internally, other Tyco groups seem to promote from within - not in retail.

ConsManagement doesn't walk the talk, VPs especially from my experience. Planning and strategy sessions that never end, but execution that never happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay attention to the details, your message isn't executed by those that are tasked with leading.

Commercial Account Executive

Commercial Account Executive (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Tyco full-time for less than a year

ProsSome of the people. Benefits are not to bad. Had very high expectations for this company. Very disappointing.

ConsManagement!! Disconnected from reality. Poor management from executive level on down. Installations. Over 4 weeks for installs. Salary is awful. Training for 2 weeks out of state. Kept in contact with other reps from training class. Huge issues with company as a whole all over the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get more involved. Not micromanage but involvement with what is going on at the ground level. You want numbers but yet not involved as to what is truly going on. Moves very slow to get things implemented. Support pieces. Yet you want numbers but support pieces are not what they need to be. You want quality people but are not willing to pay.

Tyco IS

Customer Experience Advocate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI love the company but I am frequently embarrassed by our performance.There is potential here. People are great, many long term employees. Really good technicians and installers. Good job stability and average pay. Newer CEO (G.O) has some good initiatives and has made some mistakes. Time will tell if he recognizes the difference.

ConsLeadership is out of touch with customer needs. There is so much potential here! Insufficient manpower investment to deliver world class results to clients. NOT a pay for performance culture.(Even though that is the current mantra). With the notable exception of the sales representatives who are base+commission. When you own a customer issue/concern be prepared to sacrifice your key performance metrics to see it through.

Advice to Senior ManagementUndercover boss! Roll up your sleeves and get in front of everyday clients. There are pockets of excellence but far too many inexcusable lapses. Provide the support infrastructure.(I.e people dedicated and empowered to resolve the problem. Don't just add the responsibility to the workload of your current employees). THEN PURGE THE CONSISTENT UNDER-PERFORMERS.Talk to every customer after the sales appointment, after the installation and after a service appointment. Recognize where we are failing and take action. Make the connection between performance and growth. Don't define people as sales or sales support. We are all accountable for sales and dependent on growing revenue. Stop giving our clients reasons to look elsewhere.

Excellent learning experieince

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Marinette, WI

I worked at Tyco part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people and good environment

ConsNon competitive pay, not many career opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they are worth.

Fire safety

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than a year

ProsVery solid corp, great benifits

ConsBit of red tape to deal with

Good starter, not for long term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than a year

ProsComfortable working facility with nice amenities.

ConsA company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you. Unfair treatment amongst employees. There is little reward and recognition for hard work.

Lack of Company Vision or Direction

Core Commercial Account Executive (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with, freedom to work out of the office.

ConsLack of company vision, departments don't work with one another. Charge backs for improper installations. Forget annual pay raises unless you get 100% to quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many upper managers over different departments

Positive - full time employee

Applications Manager (Current Employee)
Norristown, PA

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTyco IS is a good company to work for. Salaries are average or above average if you are willing to put the work in.
Tyco IS has a very diverse set of customers ranging from the biggest systems in the world all the way down.

Would recommend working here.

ConsPlenty of long term employees make it difficult to grow in you career. if you are content in your position this is the company for you.
Having the right manager is key. if you are thinking of working here ensure you and the manager click

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate avenues for employee advancement. Move employees out of their comfort zone to improve their value and the value of the company.

Worked for Tyco? Contribute to the Community!

Tyco Videos

Tyco – Why Work for Us?

We have a passion to protect what matters most. Our 69,000 employees in over 1,000 locations around the world take a consultative approach to delivering tailored, industry-specific solutions. Our global reach… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tyco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tyco CEO George R. Oliver. All 178 reviews posted anonymously by Tyco employees.