Tyco

Tyco Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver

George R. Oliver

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is probably the best attribute to this company"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "A company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Many upper management people saw this coming and just left"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Director Software Development

Director (Former Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsGreat place to work, when old management team was around.

ConsEngineers are just a number and expendable... They are killed the golden goose when they bought the well run companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst it was to buy companies for synergies. Now it is split them up so they can focus on their business.... Back to the way it was. Execs get rich, everyone else pays.

Mistake from day one

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

Proslarge diversified company that promotes values internally, other Tyco groups seem to promote from within - not in retail.

ConsManagement doesn't walk the talk, VPs especially from my experience. Planning and strategy sessions that never end, but execution that never happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay attention to the details, your message isn't executed by those that are tasked with leading.

Commercial Account Executive

Commercial Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsSome of the people. Benefits are not to bad. Had very high expectations for this company. Very disappointing.

ConsManagement!! Disconnected from reality. Poor management from executive level on down. Installations. Over 4 weeks for installs. Salary is awful. Training for 2 weeks out of state. Kept in contact with other reps from training class. Huge issues with company as a whole all over the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get more involved. Not micromanage but involvement with what is going on at the ground level. You want numbers but yet not involved as to what is truly going on. Moves very slow to get things implemented. Support pieces. Yet you want numbers but support pieces are not what they need to be. You want quality people but are not willing to pay.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

my wife is seriously Ill, no compassion or support from managers

Residential Field Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Manchester, England (UK)

ProsADT tyco Great Brand and products. I Loved my Job dealing with customers I enjoy working for Large companies gives you a lot of backing in the field, I can see people do well within the company and you look after people in management

Constoo long to mention
    problem is I am not a Manager hence I received No support or understanding when My wife was diagnosed with a serious Illness the contrary really my Life was turned upside down more by the management even though I am caring for my wife I was still out performing my target and remained top producer but they still made my life Hell, the management have no motivation very poor understanding of salesman's needs and Lack the Ability to offer any coaching in the field, far too analytic but they have bullied manipulated lied to defend there actions, they look after each other, constant threats, constant abuse of Power I have exposed this needs to be eradicated if you want to develop your Life balance the branch has Lost a lot of good people since my disagreement but the management remain Why?

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to get people who have people skills who will roll up there sleeves get from behind there laptops and stop monitoring from a desk and get out in the field they should be experienced in the direct field sales business and support new starters stop the churn at the branch it is constantly losing good people
     if these people want to manage from an office change departments because there is too much familiarity with the internal departments inc HR and no support in the field
    FLM means Field Line Manager not office based analyser

Worst experience ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong company, wide range of brands, worldwide presence.

ConsKiller of high potentials. No care at all of the employees.
    Middle Management seeking peace of mind and confort zone, no support given to their teams.
    Employees with high potential kept down.
    Far from using the real potential of the single brands.
    Customers are never seen as partners but only as cash cows.

No loyalty to its employees.

ProsSupervisors and coworkers are very nice and the Boca locations are both very nice and updated.

Consthey have a lot of contractors that have been there for years without permanent employment. Their processes for a big company are very unorganized. The morale and company culture is going downhill as they are experiencing a lot of transformation and letting go of a lot of talented people who have dedicated years to their organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe amount of intellectual property that you lose is invaluable. You can't always put dollars and cents on everything. Know how the machine functions before you start chopping off pieces.

Sr. Finance Manager

Senior Finance Manager (Former Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsGood benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary. The company offers good opportunities only if you have a good manager, good financial systems, good leadership training and six sigma training.

ConsLow morale, not work life balance, poor management style, micromanagement style, lack of professionalism, not potential to growth they rather hire somebody from outside the company instead of promoting for within. Poor comunication. You get a sense that you can lose your job any time. The hotline system does not work potential retaliation if you complain about your manager, double standard since the rules does not apply to all the employees. Very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery manager should participate in the leadership programs provided by the company and apply them.

For 4 years very high Staff fluctuation, Senior Managers quit after 28 years!

Technical Service Engineer (Current Employee)
    Berlin (Germany)

ProsGood pay is the only to mention

ConsGood and innovative staff will not be realized through management, upper management only good in delegating.
    no internal job offers,
    no talent development
    traveling only for upper Management...
    no identification and loyalty to the company wished

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk .....do it!
    Remove those Managers who only delegates and are unable to do it oneself

Upper management is full of nepotism.

Commercial Sales Executive (Former Employee)
    Earth City, MO

ProsAbout a year and a half ago (June 2012) there was a split in the company. The two companies, ADT and Tyco, still share an office. There are still a lot of great people from ADT that you may meet by working for Tyco. Otherwise, don't waste a moment on this company.

ConsThe company forces you to pay for a car and calls it a company car. You pay all the leasing fees plus a percentage of all gas and maintenance which is unheard of for a "company car" (FYI, this ends up costing you a quarter of your measly salary). Upper management does not help you succeed. Instead, they monitor you and look for anything they can do to take money away or fire you. They send you to a couple of unsuccessful cronies for sales training. One of the instructors braggs about being a music teacher, which is just the beginning of the worst training you could possibly imagine for a professional sales person. If you are desperate and need a job that will pay you $400 a week until you can find a real job, this is the place to start, but don't believe any of the lies they may tell you about the company's greatness. Service is a joke and installation is always at least a month behind. Administration is lousy and upper management only wants to look good for their superiors.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with experience that want their employees to succeed. Create a training course with instructors that take pride their industry. Respect and encourage the people that create the opportunity for you to be successful.

Tyco Integrated Security

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

No room for advancement
    Corporate Greed
    Difficult Work/Life Balance
    Company will try at all costs to prevent Union Organizing
    Generate Billions in revenue, give staff 1% raise.
    Constant organizational sales, spin offs etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees significantly more.
    Give your staff a good, stable working environment
    TALK AND LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES

Worked for Tyco? Contribute to the Community!

Tyco Videos

Tyco – Why Work for Us?

We have a passion to protect what matters most. Our 69,000 employees in over 1,000 locations around the world take a consultative approach to delivering tailored, industry-specific solutions. Our global reach… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tyco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tyco CEO George R. Oliver. All 192 reviews posted anonymously by Tyco employees.