Tyco Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
2.9

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver
George R. Oliver

Pros
  • The work/life balance is probably the best attribute to this company (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • A company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you (in 6 reviews)

• Many upper management people saw this coming and just left (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

CEO and Ombudsman office cover up Director's unethical behavior, Code of Conduct is not followed by Tyco

Current Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The co-workers and the valuable professional experience of working for a Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Lack of controls in employee background checks and financial systems. Tyco has employee agreements and a code of conduct that are in violation of Federal regulation and if employees exercise their employee rights under the Federal Act, Tyco terminates them, which is completely illegal. Employees are encouraged to speak up, but when they do, Tyco retaliates including termination. The ombudsman office doesn't maintain confidentiality and encourages retaliation against employees who speak up about wrongdoing and unethical behavior. Employees who discuss unfair labor practices are terminated while the unfair labor practices continue. The North America Controllership of Tyco is run like a factory.

All levels at Tyco need to adhere and be accountable for violating the Code of Ethical Conduct. Employees who commit resume fraud should get fired and not covered up. Tyco is violating basic employee rights for fair labor and hiring practices. The rule should be the same for everyone. Employees who speak up are terminated, but the ones engaged the wrongdoing are not disciplined or held accountable for wrongdoing. If top management is not accountable, Tyco may be in the news again and the story of 2002 and Enron will repeat soon. Shareholders should consider investing somewhere else a corporation that doesn't follow its own Ethical Code of Conduct is not trustworthy.

Does Not Follow Ethical Code

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good company for engineers.

Cons

Worst place I ever worked due to long hours, poor management, lack of employee screening, and most importantly not following their own Ethical Code of Conduct. People who voice concerns are dismissed by the Ombudsmen at best and retaliated against at worst.

Clean up ethics or investors will find out and choose other companies to invest in.

Terrible morale, no values, screw the employees

Current Employee - Assembler  in  Marinette, WI
    Current Employee - Assembler in Marinette, WI

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benifits are not bad, vacation is good.

Cons

favoritism, low pay, don't care if you have a family. broken down equipment; worried about bringing in robots to do job and don't bother to fix the other equipment that works with it. Never get what is needed to complete product on time. Always working into the weekend. 60 hour weeks.

Learn how to keep managers and supervisors. Everyone leaves. Give better pay..don;t tell us that the company pays at or above what other companies in area do. Lowest paying company in Marinette. Bad Morale..nobody likes working here except for those that get there way. CEO has no idea what goes on in this company. Everything is hidden when they come to check in.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director Software Development

Former Employee - Director  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work, when old management team was around.

Cons

Engineers are just a number and expendable... They are killed the golden goose when they bought the well run companies.

First it was to buy companies for synergies. Now it is split them up so they can focus on their business.... Back to the way it was. Execs get rich, everyone else pays.

Mistake from day one

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco for more than 3 years

Pros

large diversified company that promotes values internally, other Tyco groups seem to promote from within - not in retail.

Cons

Management doesn't walk the talk, VPs especially from my experience. Planning and strategy sessions that never end, but execution that never happens.

Need to pay attention to the details, your message isn't executed by those that are tasked with leading.

Commercial Account Executive

Former Employee - Commercial Account Executive  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Tyco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people. Benefits are not to bad. Had very high expectations for this company. Very disappointing.

Cons

Management!! Disconnected from reality. Poor management from executive level on down. Installations. Over 4 weeks for installs. Salary is awful. Training for 2 weeks out of state. Kept in contact with other reps from training class. Huge issues with company as a whole all over the country.

Need to get more involved. Not micromanage but involvement with what is going on at the ground level. You want numbers but yet not involved as to what is truly going on. Moves very slow to get things implemented. Support pieces. Yet you want numbers but support pieces are not what they need to be. You want quality people but are not willing to pay.

my wife is seriously Ill, no compassion or support from managers

Current Employee - Residential Field Sales Representative  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Residential Field Sales Representative in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ADT tyco Great Brand and products. I Loved my Job dealing with customers I enjoy working for Large companies gives you a lot of backing in the field, I can see people do well within the company and you look after people in management

Cons

too long to mention
    problem is I am not a Manager hence I received No support or understanding when My wife was diagnosed with a serious Illness the contrary really my Life was turned upside down more by the management even though I am caring for my wife I was still out performing my target and remained top producer but they still made my life Hell, the management have no motivation very poor understanding of salesman's needs and Lack the Ability to offer any coaching in the field, far too analytic but they have bullied manipulated lied to defend there actions, they look after each other, constant threats, constant abuse of Power I have exposed this needs to be eradicated if you want to develop your Life balance the branch has Lost a lot of good people since my disagreement but the management remain Why?

They need to get people who have people skills who will roll up there sleeves get from behind there laptops and stop monitoring from a desk and get out in the field they should be experienced in the direct field sales business and support new starters stop the churn at the branch it is constantly losing good people
     if these people want to manage from an office change departments because there is too much familiarity with the internal departments inc HR and no support in the field
    FLM means Field Line Manager not office based analyser

Worst experience ever

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company, wide range of brands, worldwide presence.

Cons

Killer of high potentials. No care at all of the employees.
    Middle Management seeking peace of mind and confort zone, no support given to their teams.
    Employees with high potential kept down.
    Far from using the real potential of the single brands.
    Customers are never seen as partners but only as cash cows.

No loyalty to its employees.

I have been working at Tyco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supervisors and coworkers are very nice and the Boca locations are both very nice and updated.

Cons

they have a lot of contractors that have been there for years without permanent employment. Their processes for a big company are very unorganized. The morale and company culture is going downhill as they are experiencing a lot of transformation and letting go of a lot of talented people who have dedicated years to their organization.

The amount of intellectual property that you lose is invaluable. You can't always put dollars and cents on everything. Know how the machine functions before you start chopping off pieces.

Sr. Finance Manager

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary. The company offers good opportunities only if you have a good manager, good financial systems, good leadership training and six sigma training.

Cons

Low morale, not work life balance, poor management style, micromanagement style, lack of professionalism, not potential to growth they rather hire somebody from outside the company instead of promoting for within. Poor comunication. You get a sense that you can lose your job any time. The hotline system does not work potential retaliation if you complain about your manager, double standard since the rules does not apply to all the employees. Very political.

Every manager should participate in the leadership programs provided by the company and apply them.

Worked for Tyco? Contribute to the Community!