Tyco

Updated November 17, 2014
2.5

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver
George R. Oliver

Pros
  • The work/life balance is probably the best attribute to this company (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you (in 6 reviews)

• Many upper management people saw this coming and just left (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

And excellent employer!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment and fantastic people. A great mix of challenge and reward along with day to day almost familial bonds with co-workers. Great balance of work life balance and awesome flexibility.

Cons

Very difficult to advance in this company without a degree.

Better decision making and planning ahead. Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. Think ahead.

Gainful in terms of pay and experience learned, but some manufacturing techniques need to be modernized

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern

I worked at Tyco as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay, for an intern, was very good, and they let me choose hours that prioritized my schooling. Most of the fellow employees were helpful and friendly (some more than others). I had a great opportunity to grow and use various tools to learn more if I so desired.

Cons

The communication between management of various divisions seemed slow. Also,turn around time for projects was pretty poor. Many of the projects I was assigned to had been on the "to do list" for 2 years before I got there. Meanwhile, I would frequently see many of the engineers checking sports center of facebook on their computers way too often. Certain engineers I worked for were very appreciative and supportive of my help, but one in particular was always a critic and would send me on wild goose chases at times.

It is important to listen to manufacturing operator input, and look for long term solutions for problems, not a quick fix to maintain production numbers for the short term. I saw alot of this during my short time at the plant. Overall the people you work with make or break the company and I think there should have been more attention placed on what exactly everyone is doing to contribute.

SRC

Former Employee - Scheuler in Westminster, MA
    Former Employee - Scheuler in Westminster, MA

I worked at Tyco full-time

Pros

I met some of my best friends working here, none of them work there now- its just a bad place

Cons

Awful, Awful company to work for, you work for them, not with them, the playground bully atmosphere in the SRC is legendary. Favorites get promoted, the way to become a favorite is to nit pick and tell on co workers who may have made an honest mistake. everyone is out to get everyone. take time off and managers will demand to know the nature of your illness, no one can take a Friday or Monday for the entire summer.

treat people like adults, and you will get better workers, lead by example, get out of your cube and talk to people

soul stripping

Former Employee - AR Specialist in Westminster, MA
    Former Employee - AR Specialist in Westminster, MA

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good pay- a good learning expierience

Cons

if you aren't friends with the right people you can and will get destroyed

stop micro managing- if someone ha great results but simply does't work the way you want them too IT SHOULDN'T MATTER if the results are what are desired..if you actually practiced what you preached it would be a better place

After 30 Years Fired Over the Phone

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation, some very talented individuals.

Cons

Leadership was a good old boy's club run by bean counters and still is.

Judge your talent not by whether you like them or not but judge them on their contribution to the corporation. Get a real leader at the top. Someone who understands people and not a bean counter.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Resources of big company. Was good if you were in a role where you got to contribute to decisions. I had no training, no evaluation, and very loose internship goals. Seemed like most people were only working 40 hr/week and had pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Everything seemed to move really slowly. I was not blown away by the other employees. There are very few females.

Empower your people more, and focus on better communication between departments and levels

Depends on the manager

Current Employee - Install Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Install Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Tyco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company car, ability to develop as a leader

Cons

Micro managing bosses, mentors that won't let go, even after several years

Let your people lead, you want to have great customer relationships, let your managers make the decisions they need to retain customers, not just make metrics look good.

It was a wonderful journey meet a lot of people and loved interacting with others.

Former Employee - Executive Administration Assistant in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Executive Administration Assistant in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Tyco (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were great opportunities the company itself had such a wonderful product that everyone wanted to get there hands on because it was one of a kind and could not be gotten anywhere else except thru the company. There were a lot of good people that worked there and we became like a family.

Cons

If I had to choose a challenge I guess I would have to say not enough communication.

Just get to know your employees .... you would be surprise how talented some of them are.

Benefits are what make this job almost worth it

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Tyco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits are pretty good compared to what most offer (401K match, bonuses for completing healthy activities, insurance isn't as expensive as other companies)

Cons

No room to grow. Quick to hire upper management and sales people from outside, but not so quick to hire the inspectors to support the new sales. Frequently let people go, then ask current employees to perform previous employees job duties for months or longer at a time (assuming the people they let go are ever replaced). Management and Sales team can do whatever they wanted while admin and inspectors are considered below everyone and treated as such.

Realize that the people who bring in the revenue are the people at the bottom. Give more opportunities for growth from within rather than always hiring outside of the company.

Solid Company

I have been working at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to learn various technologies and get a lot a experience. Very flexible management. Many locations so you can typically work close to home.

Cons

At times you are over worked and you get lots of email in your inbox. You are expected to complete work with limited resources.

Consistently give recognition to staff