Tyco Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Sale Positions at SG

I worked at Tyco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Micromanaged with Salesforce.com, must be self motivated but excellent benefits and pay

Cons

Difficult for company to fire poor employees which causes low morale.

Advice to Management

Promote more from within and fire toxic managers that only promote those whom kiss their butts... Merit should be awarded to hard workers not social butterflies.

2. Not a bad place

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Good people, good work environment, ok salary/benefits

Cons

Too many reorganizations. Few senior leaders who care.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Realize the talent pool within the organization.

3. good job

Former Employee - Assembler in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Assembler in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Tyco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay good hours decent crew

Cons

Points system needs work.better adjustments to off the job invidents

Advice to Management

communicatio

some truth would be nice

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tyco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

company vehicle and free gas

Cons

huge cloud of BS sugar coated by typical "we are the best and care about you" corporate lies

Advice to Management

lying and faking to care about employees/customers will get you nowhere. everyone knows you only care about money

Company heading in the wrong direction!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Tyco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits Great People at the Local Level Local Management Cares Awesome and Loyal Customers Protecting People and Property makes this job exciting and important.

Cons

Senior Leadership has decided to place more of a focus on their share holders, than the employees and customers who actually drive this business. Every decision made is to make the share hers happy and pad their pockets. The messaging to employees by the Senior Leadership team is that we are in a pay for performance culture, yet every chance they get, they find a way to "Not" pay the employees. The company can have an outstanding year, but pay raises get put on hold for several months, or eliminated all together. Some managers receive bonuses based on certain criteria, however even if you meet that criteria the Senior Leadership team may decide to knock down your bonus by 50% for some arbitrary reason to make sure they hit the target promised to Wall Street. The pay scales are not fair for everyone. If you are a long time employee and have advanced through the ranks, your pay will be anywhere between 15 & 25% less than someone who assumes a similar role that came from an outside company. There is a running joke that says to get a decent pay raise, you need to quit and reapply for your vacated position. The technology we use is out of date, certain programs are so old, they cannot run on any windows system newer than Windows XP, which is no longer supported. Some of the "New" technology that has been rolled out is actually "Old" technology in most other industries. Examples include "New" Inspection Software which competitors have been using for years, Work Order Management which competitors have been using for years and one person inspection tools, which certain competitors have used for years. Senior Leadership is not interested in Leaders and innovators, they are more interested in "Yes" people. Many Manager's are afraid to speak up and question some decisions because they fear that if they say the wrong thing their career will be over. On several occasions Senior Leaders have sent mass emails to all Managers threatening to fire them or reduce their bonuses if certain, unrealistic expectations are not met.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about the shareholders and start investing in your employees, technology and our customers and the share holders will be taken care of. Listen to and trust your local managers as they are the ones who understand the day to day needs of their business in their market. Not all districts can be run the same. The market in Pittsburgh is much different than the market in say Houston, TX. The cultures are completely different and you can't expect to change these cultures at the same rate. I hope that the hiring of Girish Rishi is a step in the right direction and that he sticks around longer than some of the recent Senior Leaders that have come and left the company within months because of the companies culture. Clean out the Senior Leadership team that is more focused on cutting costs to turn a profit and have trouble adapting to the 21st century way of doing business and replace them with Leaders who really understand that, to truly turn a profit you must invest in technology and employees if you want to be a successful company. SimplexGrinnell has been around for over 100 years and we were doing fine without shareholders and will continue to do fine today if some shareholders left because they didn't want to hang around while we invested in our future. The customers aren't going to stop calling in for service because Joe Shareholder decided to sell his stock and invest in Honeywell or GE.

installer

I worked at Tyco

Pros

Ok benifts, good time off.

Cons

Micro management at its finest

Advice to Management

Take a good look around and see whats really going on

8. material handler

Former Employee - Material Handler in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Corona, CA

I worked at Tyco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good hours great pay. overtime is available during holidays

Cons

heavy hard work. not for the weak.

Advice to Management

higher stronger smarter guys.

9. CUSTOMER SERVICE

Current Employee - Customer Service in Westminster, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Westminster, MA

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Like the people I work with

Cons

Will hire incoming at more than you are working at

10. regulatory engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Tyco full-time

Pros

a lot of experienced co workers

Cons

hard to move up in the company

Long-term planning means "who can I lay off next week?"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Tyco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) As HR says, "Be happy you have a job!" 2) Florida 3) Reasonable salary at hire 4) No one ever got fired for making a mistake 5) A nice group of people, for the most part

Cons

1) Currently making employees re-apply for their jobs. A woman who's been there 35 years apparently was unqualified for her own position, so she was fired. 2) Florida 3) Salary likely to remain at that original level for the forseeable future: no raises for 2 years 4) Very few mistakes made because very few people ever have to make a decision 5) Don't get too close to anyone because they won't be there tomorrow

Advice to Management

Management? Which management? The guys in Princeton, New Jersey? Or the guys in Cork, Ireland? Or the guys in Neuhausen, Switzerland? (And yes, I mean "guys". And by "guys," I mean "white guys over 40". And by "white guys over 40," I mean "white guys over 40 who once worked at GE and worship at the altar of Jack Welch.") Advice: You can have monthly 5% cost-outs, or you can have "a culture of growth & innovation." You can't have both.

RSS Feed </> Embed