Tyco

Updated November 17, 2014
2.5

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver
George R. Oliver

Pros
  • The work/life balance is probably the best attribute to this company (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits such as Gym, cafeteria a small starbucks and decent salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A company that promotes work life balance but does not grant it to you (in 6 reviews)

• Many upper management people saw this coming and just left (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Service Coordinator

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Westminster, MA
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Westminster, MA

I have been working at Tyco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work load is light. Monthly incentive bonuses. Supervisors are friendly and they don't bother you as long as you do your job correctly.

Cons

not a lot of vacation and personal days are given. The pay is not that great. Raises are terrible. The company does not show much appreciation.

Promises Broken

Former Employee - Project Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Tyco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are awesome, health retirement, etc......."High quality standards,levels in all area of business".

Cons

It depends on the district,my was promises and broken. I was hired as a PM, I received no company vehicle, phone , gas card, etc.....

SimplexGrinnell is a fast-paced, challenging work environment - bring your A game or stay home.

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For those willing to apply themselves, opportunities for professional growth abound. Individuals that can problem solve, motivate, develop talent and deliver short term results will excel. There are a lot of hard working and honest people that really care about the products and services they are delivering to their customers.

Cons

While change is good, the pace of change can be too disruptive at times and the business ends up leaving some individuals behind, on their own, trying to catch up, while the enterprise is rushing off to the next big change. When individuals at the delivery end of the business don't understand the change, it ends up manifesting itself as a delivery miss with the customer.

Technical Representative

Former Employee - Fire Alarm Tech Representative in Maumee, OH
    Former Employee - Fire Alarm Tech Representative in Maumee, OH

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very professional associates at multiple levels within the company. Great learning experiences in a variety of settings.
    The quality standards were high and the opportunities for growth were abundant.

Cons

Too much emphasis on short term profits and not enough on keeping the existing customers.
    Advancement opportunities were stifiling and we had gone through multiple managers in a short period.
    Company during tyco years lost its ability to care about the individual and everything shifted to making a profit
    for the stock holders.

No growth opportunities

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are nice. My former direct manager trained me thoroughly and I learned a great deal from her.

Cons

Ah where to start. Other management was so bottom line driven they completely lost sight of customer satisfaction. Many a time I would receive a call from an irate customer (who got the phone system run around) demanding to get answers on what the heck was going on.

People were nice, some of them. Don't be shocked to have a nice conversation with someone then they will talk about you behind your back as soon as you step away. Complete Jr. High mentality, from middle aged women none-the-less.

Some people there were straight up whack-a-doodles. Alleged drug use, dodging drug tests, and getting permission from management to bump up the date of their drug test.

I genuinely did love this job. But there is ZERO opportunity for advancement. I asked some of my peers how long they have been in their positions and many of them were well over a decade... in the SAME position.... and some were even demoted over the years. I watched others become demoted while I was there. And many did not have pay raises for years at a time.

Treat your peers like humans. We are all in the same boat, we all have bills to pay. Play nice in the sandbox.

A once-proud leader now reduced to bean counters and liars

Former Employee - Electronic Systems Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Electronic Systems Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Their Fire Alarm equipment (once the bugs have been identified and repaired) is up there with the best. A decent 401K

Cons

Having spent over 15 years in the Boston Market, and seen the transition from Simplex to SimplexGrinnell, it is sad to see the changes that have taken place: local management are hired for their abilities to run numbers - not departments or projects, experienced staff are routinely fired as they do not "fit" with the new way of doing (screwing customers) business, there is no accountability from management - field personnel are fired to cover for management blunders, and the average employee is just waiting for an opening elsewhere so that they can leave. Customers use Simplex only when they have to, and in most cases, there is only a Simplex System in the building because it was practically given to a contractor to install in the 1st place. Until there is a complete overhaul of all the small-minded, bean counting, short-sighted, and generally distrusted and disliked 'management' goons, Simplex is going nowhere but down ...

Spend time with the field and sales staff to get a clear understanding of just how toxic the environment is at the Boston, Providence, and Worcester offices. Don't buy the crap that is being shoveled by those who report up; this ship is sinking and there's not a single life-craft attached ...

Focus is not on the customer.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Tyco (more than 5 years)

Pros

The 401k contribution from the company is much better than the average.

Cons

The fundamental approach to business is clearly focused on the share holder and not on the customer. There is a lot of short sighted process for the sake of process and not for the sake of improving service to the customer. Certain facets of the operation require sales reps to sell services that are making promises well known internally not to be kept. Many work arounds in place of systematic changes/improvements. Tools (software) provided to field employees are outdated by a good decade and not user friendly or intuitive.

Your fruit is about out of juice, you should loosen your grip. I keep hearing of people going on meds to cope with the SimplexGrinnell lifestyle.

Poor Management

I worked at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many talented people creating some good products.

Cons

Way to much management with no knowledge of the products.

Roll up your sleeves and do some real work!!!

Work in progress.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Tyco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Field level personnel are the heart of this organization. The difference maker has always been the feet on the street - district offices vs. franchised "vendors" allow the focus to remain on serving their markets and customers.

Cons

Lack of trust and confidence in the top management by the field has resulted in a less than cohesive unit.

Tactical behavior only works for so long - strategic behaviors, even if it misses a quarterly forecast, are the key to growing marketshare and customer satisfaction.

Spreadsheet focused

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Benefits are pretty good - not union good - but pretty good. Room for advancement if you can relocate.

Cons

Mgmt seems to be focused on the spreadsheet instead of the customers and employees. I believe employees are seen mainly as an expense and they are doing everything possible to reduce that expense, even at the expense of customer satisfaction and employee moral.

The employees that take care of your customers are not just an expense. They are your money-makers. Acknowledge that and take care of them. Employee moral is WAY down.