Tyler Technologies

www.tylertech.com

Tyler Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Tyler Technologies President, CEO, and Director John S. Marr Jr.

John S. Marr Jr.

Pros
  • Work-Life balance, great people to work with, great financials(in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits, free beverages, room for advancement, company cares about employees(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Rapid growth resulted in high turnover(in 3 reviews)

• Training is intense, requires a lot of time away from home as I do not live in the Plano area(in 4 reviews)

Great Company! Great advancement opportunity!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Latham, NY

Pros"Tyler" as we call it has been a great company for me. Career Advancement here is Great! I started low on the totem pole with minimal experience. They took me in, taught me, trained me and gave me all the tools I needed to be successful. I recently applied for a much higher position in which I received! I have learned SO much in just the short time that I have been here. Never did I expect to learn or personally grow so much...

ConsSome of the challenges I have observed (which is different than experienced) is that some of the local leadership doesn't seem to care what others are thinking nor concerned about. There is an initial effort to address their immediate issues but is never taken to completion. The turnover here has been a bit high lately and I feel it is due to a certain manager and how they treat their department.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone expresses some concern, do not just shake your head and smile. Really listen to what they have to say. Chances are that they are looking out for the better good of the company and/or a better working relationship with the company. Develop some sort of action plan and review with the person who is concerned. See if that pleases them and or work out a solution that works for both of you. I personally have no quarrels with the management nor the company, but this is what I observe and hear from fellow co-workers.

Implementation Consultant

Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSolid company with a strong foundation

ConsPosition was more technical than explained

Great Opportunities abound.

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsI have been provided with a lot of training opportunities, and surrounded by a supportive group of managers.

ConsTraining is intense, requires a lot of time away from home as I do not live in the Plano area. However, the training benefits outweigh the inconvenience of being away from home for several weeks at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time. I am still too new to assess.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software developer

Prosvery flexible working hours and people are really nice here.
    Free drink, fruit and snacks.

ConsI didn't see anything uncomfortable and I feel it is a good place to keep working and learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing good.

Favoritism and Backstabbing Everywhere

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsOnsite cafe and gym, comfortable workspace, great 401k and benefits plans. Met one or two decent colleagues in my time there.

Cons* Lots of backstabbing from your own "teammates". Not much help from management either, was often told to "deal with (client) issues" on my own by my direct manager.
    * supporting software that was often very buggy due to quick releases. Clients often discovered issues that should have been caught by QA in testing.
    * Very negative, stat-driven work environment - if you weren't on the phone with clients then you weren't working hard enough in the company eye, despite the complex issues we were dealing with.
    * Other departments are not willing to support you; will only talk to your manager when you need further assistance on issues, making it hard to follow up on client expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings, even those at the bottom of the totem pole. There was quite a disconnect here between senior management and the customer-facing employees. Client Support isn't easy, but to be ridiculed for asking for help is not a good way to retain employees. I gained some decent technical skills in this position but could have been more successful with better training resources and support from my direct manager and team.

Technical Services

Technical Services (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, free beverages, room for advancement, company cares about employees.

ConsBelow average compensation in larger markets, intense travel for those that travel, lots of after hour expectations and demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the silo mentality, provide better employee oversight especially for remote workers and cut dead wood when necessary.

Deployment Specialist

Deployment Specialist (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsFree beverages, casual work place, great co-workers

ConsLow salaries, Little advancement opportunity unless you are friends with upper management. Little training offered. Lots of overtime with no compensation if you are in the wrong department. Several people in management do not need to be in management roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay and offer more training. Find ways to compensate employees who work long hours instead of just saying you will take care of them.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lakewood, CO

ProsGreat company values, lots of fun activities, employee appreciation, lots of growth.

ConsWhile more lateral growth is good for the company, it leaves infrequent opportunities to move up.

Road Warrior

Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat compensation, good benefits, lots of travel opportunities and room for growth. It's a big company with small company heart. They do a great job of making you feel welcomed and wanted.

ConsThe travel is intense and never ending. Plan on missing a lot of birthdays, family gatherings and sleep. The training is equally as intense as the travel because it's mostly done solo. Lots of evenings and weekends spent studying.

Great coworkers, but focus of work is on quantity over quality.

Implementation Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are smart, conscientious, and fun.
    Office atmosphere is great.
    Development structure can respond to required changes in the application fairly quickly, and the product is designed to truly enhance the client experience.
    Many clients are long term clients and have become friends as well.

ConsThe pay structure for implementation consultants focuses on utilization hours. The focus then becomes billing, and delivering quality is lost. It also punishes he employee for taking vacation time and travelling to client sites during the week instead of on the weekends.

The focus on quantity over quality seemed to result in a lot of finger pointing and blame across departments (and within departments) instead of working on getting everyone working together. This just wears down everybody.

Information about the product is scattered and resides in a few peoples heads. Clients know more about how our software works than the implementers who train them do.

High turnover in the implementation ranks but not a lot done to rectify the situation and with each person lost, a lot of knowledge goes out the door.

Felt like my track of management was insincere although I would not say this about other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the rates of turn over in certain positions, think about whether new policies will empower them to be successful or drive them away.

Don't fein sincerity or empathy, if you don't really care how you get your numbers, it comes through.

The project managers should have teamwork and leadership training... they are the source of a lot of the finger pointing. I don't know how their pay is structured, but they finger point both to the client and internally instead of working to resolve issues. Have not seen any leadership skills in a position that should require it. I have been on client site where the client is rolling their eyes at what the PM is saying on the phone. It is uncomfortable at best.

Worked for Tyler Technologies? Contribute to the Community!