Tyonek Native Corporation

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014
3.1

Kevin Lombardo

Tyonek is my home village, and to work with our efforts for the future generations was an experience, to say the least.

Former Employee - Land Technician in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Land Technician in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large vision from the executive and board levels. With a growing national company, there is a real need for bringing on new capacities or build your own. Tyonek really does put an effort to build community.

Cons

With all communities, you end up dealing with politics. People from the village are mostly family some how, and others get included as part of the Tyonek Native Corp. Family. Some times family is a lot to deal with. Most of the time, they are good.

Keep your good direction, but take effort to discuss the details in needs of the company.

I worked at Tyonek for 7 years as a full time employee.

I have been working at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If your single health insurance is very affordable ($50 a month if your single) and great coverage. Every other Friday off and a very nice week and a half break for Christmas and New Years. Flex time.

Cons

under qualified people (including no degree or private sector experience) in executive positions. Spend money on expensive equipment that they do not have contracts for. Close to one administrator for every producer. Talented employees are not rewarded for performance which has cause loss of some of the best employees.

Reward performance, Hire experienced and educated people to run your company, promote from within, act like a company your size.

Nothing to be gained by going the extra mile...

I worked at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time

Pros

Good work hours, paid off holidays including Christmas break. Paid overtime. Clean work environment. Pay above minimum wage. Close parking. Paid health insurance.

Cons

No real appreciation for anyone going above and beyond. Work load expectations unreal. No interest in retaining talented individuals if they aren't "yes men (or women" to management.

Show more appreciation to the workers who actually make the money for the company. Attempt to retain real talent rather than drive them into the ground and then lay them off or fire them. This company was built on the backs of some of the people that you all stabbed in the back!

good

Former Employee - Aircraft Sheet Metal Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Aircraft Sheet Metal Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great working place (nas Jacksonville, FL.) mechanics, section supervisors are good people and bend over backwards to help you with work or personnel problem, thy supply good tools and have a great support tool crib. I Really Enjoy working for tyonek loved the hours and the sometimes overtime, I did not to want to go but the my big boss took their over mine and my co-worker's my

Cons

take staff personnel over their own personnel in workmanship ,complaints, or problems, get some more foremen on floor to help your employees. If we make a crab you should not have to worry about your job security no matter how big or small. (this happen to me)

take your employee side not theirs thy are out to get us fired to make them self look better

Great oppertunities

I have been working at Tyonek Native Corporation

Pros

Good place for entry levels to gain experience and knoledge. Great Benifits. Get every other Friday off, Atleast if your not havining to work 50+ hours a week.

Cons

Dealing with sister company can get alittle rediculous.

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, AL

I worked at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were satisfactory.
    The flex schedule allows for every other Friday off.
    You begin to accrue paid time off from the start of your employment.

Cons

Utterly railroaded by team members and ignored by supervision, just listened to what was told to them about my job performance.
    Never received a performance review or any feedback from supervisor.
    Dishonest description of job responsibilities and not allowed to train adequately or for long enough.

Take the time to evaluate employees instead of allowing others to "evaluate" according to their own desire to squash any competition.

Good company but not much room for growth.

Current Employee - Aircraft Rework in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Rework in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and no travel.

Cons

No paid leave or sick time until one year of employment. No matching 401k.

Pay is good but no future!!!

Current Employee - Aircraft Sheet Metal Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Aircraft Sheet Metal Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. 401K

Cons

Working as a contractor with the Navy so you treated as just body. You work "B" shift from 2pm - 10:30 pm everyday with no opportunity for advancement.

Great Job for veteran with a background in aircraft maintenance

Former Employee - Aircraft Electrician in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Electrician in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay. All tools are provided. Co-workers are skilled, reliable and fun to be around. It is a great pathway to a U.S. Civil service job (likely at the same facility, working with the same people), but it could take years. The in-area supervisors are great people.

Cons

You have to work an entire year before you can take any paid vacation. There are typically no raises. The great guys there two years make the same as the newest hire. Succeptable to layoffs, especially as long as the federal government is disfunction

See "cons" above. Figure out a way for new hires to get a common access card (CAC). Quit relying on the fact that most of us have retired military ID cards for base access. Without them we have no access to the (networked) computers.

Contract Work

Current Employee - Contractor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Contractor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Tyonek Native Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great salary and good benefits.

Cons

Contract work is not as stable as full time employment.