U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity if you have super fast Internet speed"
    in 16 reviews
  • "some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either"
    in 13 reviews
  • "part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Upper management.

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsNot much pros except for insurance was pretty good.

ConsVery, very low pay for all the work that you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level management needs to learn to get along, and get rid of the bully like mentality.

Family Company

UCC (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis company does everything they can to make the employee feel involved and appreciated. They make you feel like part of a family. (good or bad)

ConsFavoritism is all around. Hard to get promoted unless you know someone. Every one here has worked for 10-20 years so they know each other. A new person has a hard time getting moved up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Its not okay to treat your friends one way and other employee's friends another.

reservation manager

Reservation Manager (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

Proswork from home whater

Cons20 hours? that is ridiculous

Advice to Senior Managementbetter work environment

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's pretty okay!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsI like working with customers, I like that it involves computers, and I like feeling as though I make a difference or make someone's life a bit easier. I really do enjoy working with people so this job is a good fit!

ConsThe hours kind of vary, customers can be super rude and sometimes it makes the job a lot harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind away to deal with super rude and verbally abusive customers!

Stress Free

Road Side Assistance (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork from home and use a personal computer.
    Very little stress...as long as you pay attention to the training you wont have any problems
    Managers can be strict but are willing to answer any question you may have

ConsPart Time only for work from home
    No Benefits for Part Time
    You don't get paid time off so if you need a day off make sure you can afford to lose that days pay

csr

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice job. nice hrs. employees are all on the same pace

Conshaving to dig the trucks out of snow sometimes

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, very understand and will teach you everything you need to know to be successful in the job. Lots of customers

ConsSome people tend to be lazy and not doing there job as well as others. But other than that it is a great place to work and a family type work place

Current CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Bolingbrook, IL

ProsFlexible hours, nice people to work with and its nice to switch from inside work to outside with through out the day

ConsManagement has no clue what there doing. We work way harder than we are paid for. the company is not customer orientated

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to hire from within the company...not someone fresh off the street with no idea what they are doing

Reservation Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can work at the corporate office or from home with this position. If you work from home, you save in gas money, time, etc. The hours vary from week to week so that can be a benefit to some. Training is several weeks, and if I remember correctly you get a $250 bonus after the completion of training. This position pays commissions for rentals of trucks, trailers, or storage.

ConsSometimes the system is a little glitchy and you will lose calls or have reservations not go through. You are constantly monitored online and you must follow a set prompt which is sometimes hard to do when not every person you speak to is willing or able to go through the prompt questions; if you skip parts of the prompt or do not make your reservation quota (I believe 2.5/hr, but on slow days that can be a challenge), you will be reprimanded or lose your bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing your software and programming for the call center as well as for each individual location. There are over 15,000 locations that sell U-Haul products, so the system definitely needs to become more streamlined and regimented because sometimes sales, cancellations, etc. get lost in translation between the call center and the actual locations.

Good Company, after Manager, takes a while to be promoted

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsQuick opportunities to move up, nice organized company. Not to many questions to understand job. Overall good experience

Cons60 hours a week, minimal pay. To many hours to work while trying to go to college to better yourself and family.

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U-Haul reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen. All 198 reviews posted anonymously by U-Haul employees.