U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Ability to work from home, free turkey for Thanksgiving, great work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• work from home, flexible hours, easy system navigation(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either(in 14 reviews)

• part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement(in 13 reviews)

Run!

Accounting (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAbove average salary for accounting jobs in Phoenix. Cafe in one of the towers that has affordable, delicious food.

ConsParking is several blocks away. It takes 3-5 years to get in the garage which HR doesn't tell you when you interview. The department I am in is full of negative, back biting people who openly talk about each other. The workload is heavy, lots of emergencies and angry people calling. I've worked every weekend since I started and since I'm salaried don't get anything extra. Co-workers use the F word like it is a regular word to use at work. Also the buildings are really old so no sinks in the breakrooms and the bathrooms are old and smell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead weight. A lot of the people who have been with the company 15 years or more wouldn't last at any other company.

I love going to work!!!

Reservation Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Customers first!! (people-oriented company)
    - Great, supportive, engaged, helpful manager(s) and coworkers
    - Training is great and very organized
    - Free drinks, snacks, and free food sometimes
    - Clean and neat office environment
    - Both professional and personal
    - Older and younger employees get along well
    - Enjoyable job
    - Flexible schedule but still allows you to work up to 25 hrs, best for people that are looking for part-time employment

Overall, very friendly work environment and I really like my job!!!

Cons- Underpaid
    - No bus pass provided
    - It is not the best for those who are looking for full-time jobs unless you want to be a manager/supervisor

Advice to Senior ManagementWage increase would be great!

Project Coordinator Assistant

Project Coordinator Assistant (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits and great people to work with besides the construction department

ConsThe construction department is not like the rest of the company and if they feel your going to leave they just fire you. Bad moral in that department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Csr...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Inkster, MI

ProsFlexible hours, great co-workers, ability to grow from within, understanding about kids/ family and the priorities that go along with them.

ConsCenters don't follow all of the rules taught in training, centers teach employees short cuts. I was told that even though I told them when I started I could not do certain aspects of the job it did not matter. I was made to move 120#+ trailer from the ground onto a hitch and in fact hurting my back the first week I was there! Pay is extremely low for as much work as you are supposed to do. No such things as breaks. I got in trouble for going to the bathroom because I was the only one working with a manager!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better. Get better insurance the extremely high deductible does not work with a one income family.

I like it!

ProsI started working for U-Haul in January 2013, I was originally supposed to do sales, but the day I finalized all my paperwork I was called by my recruiter and he offered me a job in Roadside Assistance. Which was more money which is nice. I started out at making $10 an hour. I still make that, but its better than minimum wage. for the first 90 days you cant change your schedule you are stuck with what you picked in the very beginning. since I've started I think I've changed my schedule three times and its always been approved. depending on how many hours you work, you can get a 15 minute break. if you work 7 hours you get a lunch break which is 30 minutes along with getting breaks. I love working from home. some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do. my manager is amazing, not just my manager every manager, senior manager and escalation member is just amazing. My manager just submitted a request for me to be a full time employee so I'm really happy about that

Consthe hours a week you get ranges it would 15 or 40, it really just depends on the week. sometimes it is hard to help out a customer when they are mad or impatient.

My experience working at U-Haul has been nothing less than fantastic. From the very get go I've had no problems.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsFrom day one I've had sufficient training and made sure I took all the certification classes to ensure that I would be well educated on procedures and expectations for my career working with U-Haul.

ConsOne of the few complaints I have is the very low start pay. It's above minimum but realistically no where near where anyone could live off of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly advice I would offer is to try and push for a pay increase for your new employees to promote a desirable work environment and to attract the right employees.

working for U-Haul

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou get a lot of experience in customer service

Consshort lunch breaks and cold call rooms

reservation manager

Reservation Manager (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Proswork from home whater

Cons20 hours? that is ridiculous

Advice to Senior Managementbetter work environment

Family Company

UCC (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis company does everything they can to make the employee feel involved and appreciated. They make you feel like part of a family. (good or bad)

ConsFavoritism is all around. Hard to get promoted unless you know someone. Every one here has worked for 10-20 years so they know each other. A new person has a hard time getting moved up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Its not okay to treat your friends one way and other employee's friends another.

It's pretty okay!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsI like working with customers, I like that it involves computers, and I like feeling as though I make a difference or make someone's life a bit easier. I really do enjoy working with people so this job is a good fit!

ConsThe hours kind of vary, customers can be super rude and sometimes it makes the job a lot harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind away to deal with super rude and verbally abusive customers!

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!