U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Ability to work from home, free turkey for Thanksgiving, great work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either(in 14 reviews)

• part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement(in 13 reviews)

Good Company, after Manager, takes a while to be promoted

General Manager (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsQuick opportunities to move up, nice organized company. Not to many questions to understand job. Overall good experience

Cons60 hours a week, minimal pay. To many hours to work while trying to go to college to better yourself and family.

good part time gig

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Manteca, CA

Prosflexible
    good people
    great if you like being busy and working with customers one on one

Consupper management does not care about the low teir staff
    non existint raises
    working weekends is a must

Advice to Senior Managementpromote the right people.
    train every staff member better

Very fulfilling, hands-on, problem solving type work for employees looking for an entry level job.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsI've learned an incredible amount of actual relevant information regarding wiring, repairs, engine maintenance, ect. Very good opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.

ConsNo one comes to U-haul completely happy about moving; its often a stressful time for customers, which in turn falls on the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more within the team, instead of bringing in outsiders no one respects for management positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, just needs to promote the right people

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

ProsGood pay, great benefits, great for a part time job, gives plenty of skill sets. can boost confidance, sometimes.

Consoverworked, underpaid, no overtime, stressful at times, no chance of transfer or promotion for a long time.

I love this job!

E Center Sales and Reservations (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWork from home and great earning potential. I have a wonderful manager, who really helps teach us the skills we need to make the most money.

ConsOnly part time. Sometimes the customers are a bit challenging, but that's for any customer service/sales job.

Its been great working for the company.

General Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsAll of the benfits the compnay give us are great.

ConsGetting a strong team and getting them to stay on board with the u-haul team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll we have a lot of potential strong stores just alot of stores dont have the payroll. The smaller stores with the less payroll could be better if they can have more help. Its causing use to sprend rental due to only one person working. Payroll is manageable but extra hands on site would be great.

good

Prosgreat company to work for

Conssalary is not that attractive

Advice to Senior Managementmatch the salary to industry standards

Customer Service Representative (Work from home)

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe only things that I can say are good about working for U-Haul are the fact that I am able to work from home and the benefits offered to part time employees are pretty decent.

ConsManagement is horrible. We are supposed to provide excellent customer service, however, that is very difficult to do when we are constantly told that we really cannot do anything to help the customer with issues that they may be having. Most of the time when I ask a supervisor/manager for assistance, I am told sorry, we can't do that for the customer. Also, the wait time is horribly long when instant messaging for assistance to a question. I have also emailed my manager numerous times over the course of a year asking for assistance or direction when I have a question and most of those emails go unanswered. What's the point of having a manager if they never respond to your questions? I see why it's a revolving door at this company. Also a warning, if you do sign up as a work from home agent, beware that whatever schedule you say that you are available for, you will NEVER be able to change it even though they tell you that after 90 days you can request a new schedule. I have attempted to get approval for a new schedule for over a year now and it's always been denied!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAnswer emails when they are sent to you, don't ignore them. Also, instant messaging should be responded to much quicker than it usually is. It's embarrassing having a customer on the phone and having them wait so long just to answer a question they may have or to help them with an issue. That's not considered good customer service in my book!

Once you start they will never let you stop

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsOpen work times, I can't think of any more

ConsNever a break! They beat down and use the employees untill they crack

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Good Company to work for

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsSystems in place that work, family feel

ConsLow hours, low pay, limited advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people more

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!