U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity if you have super fast Internet speed"
    in 16 reviews
  • "some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either"
    in 13 reviews
  • "part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Supply Coordinator

Supply Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsNormal hours and pretty straight forward

ConsLow pay, few benefits and no vacation for the first year.

My experience working for U-Haul was deplorable.

Toledo, OH

ProsMy co-workers were very friendly and helpful, and I liked learning new skills and working with my hands on the job.

ConsDealing with management was a nightmare. I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either. The don't care about their employees and treat them as expendable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with some respect and dignity, and make them feel proud of themselves for all of the hard work and effort it takes to do that job.

A good second job if you lower your expectations

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Prosyou get to negotiate your schedule with your manager, some of the work is fairly simple. There is some chance of moving up in the company

ConsThe quality of training you get depends on the manager you get, that is if you get one. Most of the time, you will be working on your own. people quit often, so you may be working long hours and, if you don't have much automotive or customer service experience, you are looking at minimum wage for a salary

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though your a big company, and the competition is not that great, it is wise to try and invest a little more training and development into your csr's so that they can be the best they can be. otherwise, your customers will continue to get consistent sub par service across the board

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not the best but not the worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossteady paycheck, will meet good people

Conslong hours, no appreciation for a job well done, management pretends to care but truly dont

Advice to Senior Managementlearn some people skills

Its been great working for the company.

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsAll of the benfits the compnay give us are great.

ConsGetting a strong team and getting them to stay on board with the u-haul team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll we have a lot of potential strong stores just alot of stores dont have the payroll. The smaller stores with the less payroll could be better if they can have more help. Its causing use to sprend rental due to only one person working. Payroll is manageable but extra hands on site would be great.

Good Company to work for

Orlando, FL

ProsSystems in place that work, family feel

ConsLow hours, low pay, limited advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people more

good

Prosgreat company to work for

Conssalary is not that attractive

Advice to Senior Managementmatch the salary to industry standards

Awesome!!

Passaic, NJ

ProsEverything and anything worked fine.

ConsWeather like in all jobs affect.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone keep doing what you're doing.

Worst ever, never accept a raise.

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsWell some of the other employees can be good to know but that's about it.

ConsBesides the constant customer complaints, horrible upper management, constant threats of being fired, revolving door of upper management, being a glorified customer service rep when your title is manager, lack of payroll to safely run a store/assist to customers, seeing good people terminated for no reason, and on and on and on, the worst con was the time of my life wasted working for this company. Once you start to make too much money (which they give you in raises) you are pretty much on the chopping block. Your termination reason will vary but it will never be true and you will win in your unemployment trial because they have no facts or proof of your reason of termination. Its been over a year since my employment and I still talk to some people that work there (the ones that are left) and it hasn't changed. I was in management and had four different bosses during my 5-7 years of employment. I will not put my exact time as I know how they can be. Read up on the Shoen family and see if that's what you want on your resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management as they don't listen. They have no other concern than profits, period. My only advice is for job seekers, look elsewhere. Unless its just temporary. But good luck trying to find another job while you are employed, you will be worked to the bone, 65 to 80 hours a week and salary. Also I feel as if my resume has been tainted with this companies name on it. I have a excellent work history and finding a new job was extremely difficult after U-Haul. Never was in the past, if I wanted a job then I got it. STAY AWAY!

The job present a fair amount of work for the salary provide!

ProsEasy. Very good general customer service opportunity for those that are a novice. Very flexible hours!

ConsThe pay is simply to low to be worth anything more than a beginners job.

Advice to Senior ManagementRise the pay to around $11 hour. This will allow you to recruit more dedicated personnel and reduce over all hours paid.

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U-Haul reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen. All 199 reviews posted anonymously by U-Haul employees.