U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity if you have super fast Internet speed"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Flexible work schedule for part-time employees"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either"
    in 13 reviews
  • "part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I'll be honest, they're pretty awesome

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Middletown, NY

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for less than a year

ProsWorkable schedule (depends on the manager), great starting pay for those with a little mechanical experience

Consworking outside regardless of weather

First Career Move Ever

General Manager (Current Employee)
Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at U-Haul full-time for more than a year

ProsI started working with the company March of last year and just recently became a General Manager in Michigan. I worked hard to get where I am now and I owe it to my General Manager for providing me with the work ethic to strive in this company. Great company to work for and with. Looking forward to the future.

ConsI don't necessarily have an issue with the work and life balance. It is just finding that balance then everything will be golden.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management as of now would be to not be on a need to know basis ALL THE TIME. A little heads up would be nice.

Great job

Hotline Agent (Current Employee)
Covington, GA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than a year

Prosmanagement is really friendly and tries to work with you

Consfew hours a week, 15-20 during cold months

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of hiring more agents give the ones that are there hours

Phenomenal Internship Program at Phoenix HQ

Business Development and Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorking at U-Haul headquarters in Phoenix offers a broad range of in-house projects and room to grow within the company. The internship program for college juniors and seniors is a great opportunity to gain exposure to the company's many different departments and affiliated companies. The internship program was well organized with weekly site tours, workshops, and luncheons. My manager was also a great mentor giving me constructive and valuable feedback.

ConsThe effort to keep everything in-house seems to spread management thin. At times it seemed that department communication and collaboration was, in reality, an attempt to manage multiple projects with as few resources as possible. Because of the tendency to hire from within, there appears to be a slow rate of technology and process innovation.

It's not that bad after all, U-haul is not a bad company for those who need a part time job and like this type of work!

I have been working at U-Haul

ProsFlexible schedule, lear new things

Conshard to get full time job

Awesome!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Murrieta, CA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for less than a year

ProsConvenient, very helpful, and the manager Erik is awesome and Christina is definitely a keeper!

ConsIn this economy they don't even come close to paying their employees for all they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe team working in Murrieta together really hustle and they keep customers happy!

Worst Ever

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at U-Haul full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will get a pay check / they will higher anyone

ConsThey will higher any one and you will get unqualified, unmotivated and under payed co-workers who will quit as fast as they were hired. You are treated like you are expendable and the abuse required to stay their creates a bitterness that any body who stays and is reflected by worker to customers as well as fellow workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like you want to be treated not like your superiors treat you and you will get better quality workers eventually.

Great Company if you don't mind low pay and low chance of promotion

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at U-Haul full-time for more than a year

Proswork culture is great if you stay away from senior managment.

ConsLow pay in comparison to job titles. Expect to make $10,000 a year less compared to other businesses. Force you to work overtime during peak season (expect 52 hour weeks) and will not allow you to work over 40 hours outside of peak season (don't plan a vacation).

Advice to Senior ManagementImrove your open door policy. The CEO has one, why don't you.

Area Field Manager

Area Field Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at U-Haul full-time for more than 8 years

ProsField support was ok. The dealer's within the route for the most part were an extended family, and the company benefits were good.

ConsLocal management constantly pulled you off of what you were doing to address something that could have waited which simply created more work. Long hours for little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementMarkeing Company Presidents have to much freedom to add to the Area Field Manager's or General Manager's work, which is in direct contrast to company policy. Usually at the request of their supervisor or Area District Vice President. The quality of the work done is poor and simply has a trickle down effect to customers, and company employees.

Great place, despite bureaucracy.

Web Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at U-Haul full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers, personally excellent boss...time scheduling is usually pretty free, but last I heard, it's changing. They are very flexible with life events, which is a real nice thing too. Decent cafe, for snack runs.

ConsBenefits, squabbling managers tend to get projects slowed, which only hurts everyone. And it wouldn't hurt to have bonuses, especially after you see how well the stock is doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpathize with your employees. It'll generate respect.

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U-Haul reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen. All 178 reviews posted anonymously by U-Haul employees.