U-Haul Reviews

Reset
2.8
U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Work from home and great earning potential (in 23 reviews)

• some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay should be higher even for part time (in 19 reviews)

• Mental torture at all times from upper management (in 17 reviews)

1. U-Haul Roadside

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, Locations, Benefits, Co-Workers, Offices

Cons

Pay, Lack of Communication, Departmental Issues, Scheduling, Some management

Advice to Management

More communications

Home trainning

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Able to do it from home. No travel time.

Cons

System must be compatible with your computer. My laptop was able to do all the pretest but coutl not run the links to their site and I was not able to log in on time as was terminated. They do not allow you to be late at all.

Advice to Management

Maybe more help with tech once you start. Downloading the programs does not mean that they will work correctly.

Uhaul Work at Home

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

During the summer there are opportunities for overtime and the bonuses make the paychecks somewhat livable on.

Cons

During the winter the hours are horrible. You will be told to log out early just about everyday and will be lucky to get 12 hours a week.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management, management is decent and pretty helpful.

5. Decent start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uhaul seems like an ideal company. A lot of other companies in the phoenix area had similar offers but I chose Uhaul for its benefits.

Cons

Environment seems like a small amount of collaboration. Opportunities for advancement seem unclear. Benefits increase the longer your stay with company.

Advice to Management

Quality of management seems to vary greatly. I have no suggestions to improve management because Uhaul is a large company and there are several different work units.

6. Reservation Agent

Former Employee - Reservations in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home

Cons

They are not very flexible with scheduling and will not work with you too well if you are a student or single parent. One on one with management does not exist. Especially if you work from home. I missed that personal-ism when a supervisor was needed.

Advice to Management

Be more available to work from home agents and more understanding of the need for flexibility with scheduling

Information Technology at U-Haul

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There can be quite a few Pro's for working at U-Haul. They have great medical benefits and the people for the most part are friendly. They are a very understanding when it comes to family issues. Depending on your department you can work from home, but the technology to do so can be touch and go.

Cons

I have been told multiple times by different former U-Haul team members, and I tend to agree, that in the tech arena U-Haul is a great company to cut your teeth on, not such a great company to stay at. That has to do with a mentality that derived from the early days at U-Haul. Being very family oriented and people focused U-Haul tended to promote from within. If a job isn't right for you and you're some what of a people person there's a good chance they will find some where for you to work. That's very commendable, however with technology and the business depending more and more on technology people have to know what they are doing. A majority of the Managers and Directors in technology today at U-Haul have had no to very little technical experience in the "real world" many do not hold degrees or even have certificates in their fields. This is great for people who want to gain experience, not so great to use those people to run your IT infrastructure. Even more so, a majority of these people have been working at U-Haul since cutting their teeth on technology and U-Haul rarely ever pays for outside education, they give money for a book so you can self educate and that's normally what's expected as that's what a lot of the directors and higher level management has done. This leads to another big issue, pay. The few people I saw that education was paid for left after a year of their classes or certifications because once they had the experience and paper work to back it they could be paid more then a 1/3 of their current pay. Instead of U-Haul being competitive with pay they stopped paying for education and continued to hire lower tier people with less experience and little to no certifications and degrees to carry the IT torch. This has lead to massive errors in their IT structure and a lack of over all vision. As when you're putting out fires all the time you really have no opportunity to plan, set goals, or have a real vision. Also it leads to mismanagement, because without some form of education, or employee assessment on a technical level people are either under utilized (a vast majority) or over utilized. One of the saddest things about U-Haul is you have very capable people not being used in their proper fields, but because they have little to no education they don't know what they are capable of and U-Haul won't pay for them to find out. U-Haul is paying people a lot less (We're talking 30-40 thousand) then their market value, and they are kept stuck in the U-Haul ecosystem. I am not sure if this is on purpose, but it's sad for both parties none the less. U-Haul gets hurt because they lack outside innovation, confident people, properly utilized people and efficient people, along with things like an overall vision that is missing, as an IT person working at U-Haul has as much job value as being a manager at McDonalds does for being a CEO of a large corporation. Yes it has value but unless you have many more things on your resume and are a self starter then you will end up under paid, under utilized, and over worked.

Advice to Management

This would be to upper management in general. For example the Shoens.. Joe, Stuart and Sam. Fire all your IT Directors. They are wonderful people gratned, maybe don't fire them but use them in one of your other many companies, never the less don't keep them at U-Haul. There's a thing called group think, they have it. It's great your buddies, it's great their all friends, but there's a major disconnect. U-Haul is lacking innovation and when it comes to information technology it is horrifically mismanaged. There's been a lot of bridges burned with former IT employees, Phoenix has a very small number of decent IT people. Hire them, pay them well and train your existing lower management properly to do their jobs and manage people efficiently. Give everyone the opportunity to grow and work on their strengths. The company will not survive if it stays on it's same course. IT will be your achilles heal.

8. 5+ years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a part-time system member there is a lot of flexibility. I had an amazing boss for 2 years and he worked with me while I had another job or two and then school. He was very supportive in me advancing my career whether it meant with U-Haul or not, which was why going full-time was easy transition.
    Though we are a large corporation, it is still very much a family business. CEO - Joe goes and grabs lunch with everyone else and also sits with them. VP- JT knows you by name and come and tells everyone to go home on Christmas Eve. I've been very blessed.

Cons

I am a lifer and I bleed orange and unfortunately, it will take me a long time to get to the financial point I'd like to be at.

Advice to Management

This is really hard but I'd have to say, quit holding back so much. If you got rid of the dirt you'd see the diamonds.

An Enormous Family Owned Business

Former Employee - EHS Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - EHS Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time

Pros

A veteran friendly employer, hires family members, pays for longevity, fair pay, can work in same place for 30+ years.

Cons

The hiring of family members is excessive and can interfere with rational decision making, longevity over performance is highly frustrating for newer team members with new ideas, performance reviews are scarce, no logic to pay raises (if they occur), work via mobile phone greatly extends work days, founding company family (Shoens) are firmly seated in the highest positions in the company, a culture of fear to disagree with upper management is prevalent, most leaders outside the Shoen family name have 30+ years experience with U-Haul have no other real world experience or formal education, lawyers outnumber safety employees 10:1, minimal commitment to safety programs in the organization, company policy is to not provide positive references to deserving former employees to control internal risk.

Advice to Management

Stir things up and hire some executives from other corporations. Get some new ideas in. Require VPs to have masters degrees and certifications in their fields. Implement performance reviews. Publicly praise people for things other than anniversaries.

10. GoUhaul

Current Employee - Go Uhaul in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Go Uhaul in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Good job nice friendly staff good pay

Cons

Intraday they moniter every minute no hours during the winter

Advice to Management

Provide paid holidays work to get you full time

First Sales Position

Former Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For temporary/part-time pay was great, management was wonderful and considerate. Work from home opportunities are hard to come by and this was a great one. They really pay attention to what you availablity is and will try to work with you.

Cons

Training was lacking to the point I had no idea what to tell customers because we were never told. When I would transfer them, the next person had no idea what to tell them either.

Advice to Management

Better training.

RSS Feed </> Embed