U-Haul Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Work from home and great earning potential (in 23 reviews)

• some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay should be higher even for part time (in 19 reviews)

• Mental torture at all times from upper management (in 17 reviews)

1. Working from Home

Former Employee - Dealer Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Dealer Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home. You get paid for every reservation you make and you get bonuses for being compliant with their script.

Cons

Customers can be very abusive depending on the situation and what you are able to help them with. You have to follow a script to the tee.

Advice to Management

If an employee gets the reservation or is able to help a customer without using the precise script that should be allowed. The script doesn't always work for everyone.

2. What a horrible experience

Former Employee - Work From Home Reservations Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Work From Home Reservations Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time

Pros

You can make good money if you are completely heartless. The benefits seemed ok.

Cons

The training was ridiculous. For the first week we sat and had literally hundreds of pieces of info thrown at us in a webinar. Then tested, which was open book , so easy. The second week there was a different person, who would be a SENIOR agent when I was done with training. She talked more about herself and her kid than anything else. Then tested us on things she hadn't even gone over with us. When you tried to ask any questions she would shut you down and make you feel stupid for asking. The third week they threw you on the phones, alone. They said you could instant message people with questions but usually the responses came 5-10 minutes after the callers hung up. The fourth week, they threw you on the phones and interrupted several times. Look if you don't care how you treat people this is the job for you. The want you to get reservations, credit card #'s, period. They have interoffice competitions among the managers and also pay you for the amount of reservations you get. But if someone won't give you their credit card because they want to know if they can pick up at a location near them, and you jump ahead to see for them without pressing for that credit card a second time, they will pull you off the phones immediately. This company is about $. Period. They don't care about the customers. All of the bad reviews online from the customers are real., And I'm sure the same 'culture' reaches down through the whole company. The just don't care. If someone has a lot of questions and needs options I was told by this same senior agent, set a timer for 4 minutes and if you don't have that credit card, move on. Another words bum rush them off the phone.

Advice to Management

If you give good customer service the reservations will come. Allow your reservation agents to focus on helping the customers instead of focusing on insisting on credit card #'s. And OMG listen in on what the senior agents are doing to your trainees. Why do you think your turnover rate is so high? The training is practically useless and then you have one person saying one thing, another the exact opposite. Also, have a trainee sit with someone who is actually taking calls for a day or two. That would be helpful.

3. Great Part time job while going to school

Current Employee - Center Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Center Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are pretty good. My manager is great. I get to work from home which is a huge plus. The permanent employees are great. They all take pride in their work.

Cons

The only down side is when they hire seasonal employees so many just don't seem to care about the job which makes it harder on the people who actually care about our jobs and the company.

At home positions

Current Employee - Storage Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Storage Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Not dealing with corporate. Being at home or wherever you have Internet connection.

Cons

Working everyday like its full time. Inexperienced managers. Monitoring and very critical on every part of your interaction with customers pay.

Advice to Management

Get some with experience who knows how to lead teams.

6. Creative Services Specialist

Current Employee - Creative Services Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Creative Services Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work-life balance, great co-workers, good benefits

Cons

need to provide more opportunity for advancement

7. Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Perfect summer job for students, you can work from home

Cons

During the summer all part-time customer service employees are scheduled full time hours as needed.

Advice to Management

Never make your employees feel your bothering them, even at your busiest point provide your support in any minimal way.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer/Programmer Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer/Programmer Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There aren't any. Do not work for the Software Deparment at U-Haul.

Cons

The pay is well below the market rate. The technology is far date. The software is very poorly written so it is a maintenance nightmare. There is no opportunity to advance. Not a good work environment. Only two weeks of vacation for 10 years of service. Management is very inflexible and will throw you under the bus. Medical Insurance dismal with very high Deductible, No matching on 401k.

Advice to Management

There is no effective management.

9. Awesome Benefits

Current Employee - User Experience Digital Designer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - User Experience Digital Designer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul (Less than a year)

Pros

U-Haul takes care of it's employees with great medical benefits and employee stock ownership options. I also like that it's a very stable company which gives me some sense of job security.

Cons

I wish there were more work from home opportunities available.

10. customer service

Former Employee - Sales & Reservation Moving Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales & Reservation Moving Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul (More than a year)

Pros

great flexible hours and bonus compensation

Cons

not enough hours and full time work available

U-Haul Roadside

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, Locations, Benefits, Co-Workers, Offices

Cons

Pay, Lack of Communication, Departmental Issues, Scheduling, Some management

Advice to Management

More communications

RSS Feed </> Embed