U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 20, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Ability to work from home, free turkey for Thanksgiving, great work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either(in 14 reviews)

• part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement(in 13 reviews)

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall a good company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAbility to work from home, free turkey for Thanksgiving, great work/life balance

Consworking hourly + commission can be difficult at times

Account Coordinator

Account Coordinator (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEmployee Cafeteria serves good affordable food.

ConsAlways hire from within which should be a good thing, but people have been here so long they have no idea how a "normal" company works. These long timers could never make it anywhere else.

Extremely heavy workload and employees are not valued.

Other than the work from home reservation jobs I wouldn't wish a job at U-Haul on my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese "long timers" have no clue how to manage. Its 2014, start running this place like a modern company.

Spend the money to hire top notch programmers who can update the severely outdated programs employees are forced to use.

Project Coordinator Assistant

Project Coordinator Assistant (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits and great people to work with besides the construction department

ConsThe construction department is not like the rest of the company and if they feel your going to leave they just fire you. Bad moral in that department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run!

Accounting (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAbove average salary for accounting jobs in Phoenix. Cafe in one of the towers that has affordable, delicious food.

ConsParking is several blocks away. It takes 3-5 years to get in the garage which HR doesn't tell you when you interview. The department I am in is full of negative, back biting people who openly talk about each other. The workload is heavy, lots of emergencies and angry people calling. I've worked every weekend since I started and since I'm salaried don't get anything extra. Co-workers use the F word like it is a regular word to use at work. Also the buildings are really old so no sinks in the breakrooms and the bathrooms are old and smell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead weight. A lot of the people who have been with the company 15 years or more wouldn't last at any other company.

Family Company

UCC (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis company does everything they can to make the employee feel involved and appreciated. They make you feel like part of a family. (good or bad)

ConsFavoritism is all around. Hard to get promoted unless you know someone. Every one here has worked for 10-20 years so they know each other. A new person has a hard time getting moved up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Its not okay to treat your friends one way and other employee's friends another.

Great! I really loved working for this company.

E-Sales & Reservation Agent (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork from home, base pay plus commissions, easy system navigation, great call volume.

Consno flexibility in work schedules, base pay rate, lack of assistance from leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being more flexible with schedules, increase base pay rate, and be more assisting and helpful to your employees.

Upper management.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNot much pros except for insurance was pretty good.

ConsVery, very low pay for all the work that you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level management needs to learn to get along, and get rid of the bully like mentality.

Stress Free

Road Side Assistance (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork from home and use a personal computer.
    Very little stress...as long as you pay attention to the training you wont have any problems
    Managers can be strict but are willing to answer any question you may have

ConsPart Time only for work from home
    No Benefits for Part Time
    You don't get paid time off so if you need a day off make sure you can afford to lose that days pay

Supply Coordinator

Supply Coordinator (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsNormal hours and pretty straight forward

ConsLow pay, few benefits and no vacation for the first year.

Customer Service Representative (Work from home)

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe only things that I can say are good about working for U-Haul are the fact that I am able to work from home and the benefits offered to part time employees are pretty decent.

ConsManagement is horrible. We are supposed to provide excellent customer service, however, that is very difficult to do when we are constantly told that we really cannot do anything to help the customer with issues that they may be having. Most of the time when I ask a supervisor/manager for assistance, I am told sorry, we can't do that for the customer. Also, the wait time is horribly long when instant messaging for assistance to a question. I have also emailed my manager numerous times over the course of a year asking for assistance or direction when I have a question and most of those emails go unanswered. What's the point of having a manager if they never respond to your questions? I see why it's a revolving door at this company. Also a warning, if you do sign up as a work from home agent, beware that whatever schedule you say that you are available for, you will NEVER be able to change it even though they tell you that after 90 days you can request a new schedule. I have attempted to get approval for a new schedule for over a year now and it's always been denied!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAnswer emails when they are sent to you, don't ignore them. Also, instant messaging should be responded to much quicker than it usually is. It's embarrassing having a customer on the phone and having them wait so long just to answer a question they may have or to help them with an issue. That's not considered good customer service in my book!

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!