U-Haul Reviews

First Sales Position

Former Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (less than a year)

Pros

For temporary/part-time pay was great, management was wonderful and considerate. Work from home opportunities are hard to come by and this was a great one. They really pay attention to what you availablity is and will try to work with you.

Cons

Training was lacking to the point I had no idea what to tell customers because we were never told. When I would transfer them, the next person had no idea what to tell them either.

Better training.

Dumped seasonal

I worked at U-Haul part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay & hours. 401k available quickly. Work from home.

Cons

This was a seasonal position with the implication that there would be permanent positions at the end of the "season". Instead we were let go & jobs were posted in their website almost immediately.
    The managers did not respond to at home reps in as swift a manner as the on site reps.

Work from home agents deserve the same attention and respect as the employees you can see every day. We felt very marginalized and ignored.

Work at home sales & customer service

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Working at home. I was close enough to company headquarters which allowed potential advancement. THe trainers I had were very good and cared overall about your success. All the trainers have held the same position that you are working so they know what its like and most seem to remember what it was like. On-going training to keep you involved and learning what is needed to succeed.

Cons

Hourly pay was average and during the winter months you may only work 20+/- hours a week. During other months you'll get your 40hrs since call volume is high. Otherwise its typical customer service, phone job dealing with good customers for the most part.

Upper management needs to be more concise on changes with more of advance notice instead of going into emergency mode with immediate changes. They should let the supervisors of those on the front lines know of changes in advance so that they can better prepare their workers and to make a smoother transition.

Great job if you can stick to the script

Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work
    Commission is easily obtained at $3/reserve
    Work-from-home possible
    2 weeks paid training

Cons

You'll lose your commissions if you fail to follow the cumbersome script (regardless of call outcome)

Consider allowing sales reps to immediately forward people to customer service if they're not calling with regards to reserves

Cheapest and shakiest company I ever worked for.

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Do what they say and don't ask questions and you'll be fine.

Cons

Ask questions and push back and you will feel it back twofold.

Pay people what they are worth, not what you feel you can pay, because you can pay a hell of a lot more.

Antiquated

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Relaxed company culture, decent benefits, fellow co-workers

Cons

Very unorganized, outdated technology, and behind-the-times management style.

Don't micro-manage, at least give employees an annual cost-of-living increase in pay, offer programs that benefit all employees in some way, not just a select group (i.e. military service, married), seriously consider listening to the ideas of the employees who do the job to create better work flow.

E Sales and Reservations

Former Employee - E Sales & Reservation in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - E Sales & Reservation in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours, independent work. Pushing to get sales means more bonus money. Most managers are really good at helping you out and answering questions.

Cons

Fly by the seat of your pants right out of training, bonuses can be withheld if you do not do your job correctly....although you do receive warnings. Fluctuations in seasonal moving means less hours in the winter and more in the summer. ObamaCare limits the amount of overtime you used to able to work...although that is not U-hauls fault.

A simple compliment about good performance goes a long way.

Company for white, of white, by white

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disappointingly, employees may feel the window between people exist. Colour prevails over the intelligence, due diligience, performance of individual workers. If you don't speak in english fluently despite your hyper skills and knowledge, the company never retain you. This is their company philosophy.

Cons

What can account for the company is All white work in HR & Top management. No more description required

I had two weeks training. Everything was great until the last day of week 2 training.

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

The only real benefit of this company is that they allow you to work from home and offer sales bonuses.

Cons

The list goes on and on it is a very micro-managed company the managers are not afraid to let you know that they are listening and watching everything you are doing. On the last day of week 2 training my internet went out and they fired me because of their attendance policies.

Show that you actually aprreciate your call center employees and allow you to transfer callers if you can't help them.

11. Assistance Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job isn't very hard, room to grow and move up in the company,

Cons

Hard to get days off, pay could be better, employees are expendable, dealing with terrible customers all day

I would say that the company as a whole should institute having more than one Assistant Manager, so they can be used interchangeably and are able to have days off. I also suggest offering a better starting wage, so they can keep their employees instead of training someone new every month. In my 2 1/2 years that I've worked for U-Haul, my store has gone through 31 CSRs. Pay isn't good, but when you don't have a job, it's acceptable.

U-Haul Photos