U-Haul Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.2

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Ability to work from home, free turkey for Thanksgiving, great work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Will only give you part time hours even if you don't need health insurance (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management not asking enough question upon dismissal of employee (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my Job

Current Employee - Uhaul General Manager
    Current Employee - Uhaul General Manager

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the 15+ years that I have maintained jobs, I can honestly say that U-Haul has been the best company to work for. For the past two years, there hasn't been one day that I have woke up in the morning and dreaded going to work. Now, don't get me wrong, we all have those days that we would rather stay home, but I can honestly say I love my job. Things can be hectic at time, but I know that if I have any problems, I can call any center, dealer, office, and they will willing walk me through whatever I may need. I went from being the manager of a dealer, to the GM of a center. I couldn't have asked for a better transition. Everyone, even the "higher management" was EXTREMELY approachable. I was not afraid to ask questions or to put my two cents in. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone that wants to work long term for an excellent company to apply at Uhaul.

Cons

Really, the only challenges are, at times, the difficult customers. However, those are also my favorite. Everyone has a bad day and has bad experience, but I am here to listen to the customers and make it right.

Keep up the good work.

Organized, forward thinking company, work from home!

Former Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, easy bonuses paid, great training. great pay for the work. Fun to talk to people from all over the states and Canada. Legit work from home job, with appropriate training and pay.

Cons

only con was having to work long weekend shifts. Some of the software was redundant and made for a messy screen of open windows.

Be more "available"

It was great and supervisors were very supportive.

Former Employee - E-Center Sales in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - E-Center Sales in Chandler, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are flexible with the work schedule. They always stuck within the hours and days that I gave them for my availability.

Cons

When working remotely, the system is a bit slow.

U haul is a great place to work I've been here 3yrs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Clarkston, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Clarkston, GA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and a great company to work for .

Cons

The cons are they don't offer 40 hours an it's hard to try and run a house hold with only 20 hours a week

Offer more full time position

I love going to work!!!

Current Employee - Reservation Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Reservation Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Customers first!! (people-oriented company)
    - Great, supportive, engaged, helpful manager(s) and coworkers
    - Training is great and very organized
    - Free drinks, snacks, and free food sometimes
    - Clean and neat office environment
    - Both professional and personal
    - Older and younger employees get along well
    - Enjoyable job
    - Flexible schedule but still allows you to work up to 25 hrs, best for people that are looking for part-time employment

Overall, very friendly work environment and I really like my job!!!

Cons

- Underpaid
    - No bus pass provided
    - It is not the best for those who are looking for full-time jobs unless you want to be a manager/supervisor

Wage increase would be great!

My experience working at U-Haul has been nothing less than fantastic. From the very get go I've had no problems.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than an year)

Pros

From day one I've had sufficient training and made sure I took all the certification classes to ensure that I would be well educated on procedures and expectations for my career working with U-Haul.

Cons

One of the few complaints I have is the very low start pay. It's above minimum but realistically no where near where anyone could live off of it.

Only advice I would offer is to try and push for a pay increase for your new employees to promote a desirable work environment and to attract the right employees.

I like it!

I have been working at U-Haul part-time

Pros

I started working for U-Haul in January 2013, I was originally supposed to do sales, but the day I finalized all my paperwork I was called by my recruiter and he offered me a job in Roadside Assistance. Which was more money which is nice. I started out at making $10 an hour. I still make that, but its better than minimum wage. for the first 90 days you cant change your schedule you are stuck with what you picked in the very beginning. since I've started I think I've changed my schedule three times and its always been approved. depending on how many hours you work, you can get a 15 minute break. if you work 7 hours you get a lunch break which is 30 minutes along with getting breaks. I love working from home. some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do. my manager is amazing, not just my manager every manager, senior manager and escalation member is just amazing. My manager just submitted a request for me to be a full time employee so I'm really happy about that

Cons

the hours a week you get ranges it would 15 or 40, it really just depends on the week. sometimes it is hard to help out a customer when they are mad or impatient.

Family Company

Current Employee - UCC in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - UCC in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company does everything they can to make the employee feel involved and appreciated. They make you feel like part of a family. (good or bad)

Cons

Favoritism is all around. Hard to get promoted unless you know someone. Every one here has worked for 10-20 years so they know each other. A new person has a hard time getting moved up.

Practice what you preach. Its not okay to treat your friends one way and other employee's friends another.

csr

I worked at U-Haul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice job. nice hrs. employees are all on the same pace

Cons

having to dig the trucks out of snow sometimes

Very fulfilling, hands-on, problem solving type work for employees looking for an entry level job.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've learned an incredible amount of actual relevant information regarding wiring, repairs, engine maintenance, ect. Very good opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.

Cons

No one comes to U-haul completely happy about moving; its often a stressful time for customers, which in turn falls on the employees.

Hire more within the team, instead of bringing in outsiders no one respects for management positions.

U-Haul Photos