U-Haul

U-Haul Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen

Joe Shoen

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity if you have super fast Internet speed"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Flexible work schedule for part-time employees"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "I never heard a co-worker speak of upper management and differently either"
    in 13 reviews
  • "part time positions only making it hard to find full time employement"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at U-Haul

ProsGreat people, very understand and will teach you everything you need to know to be successful in the job. Lots of customers

ConsSome people tend to be lazy and not doing there job as well as others. But other than that it is a great place to work and a family type work place

Reservation Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at U-Haul

ProsYou can work at the corporate office or from home with this position. If you work from home, you save in gas money, time, etc. The hours vary from week to week so that can be a benefit to some. Training is several weeks, and if I remember correctly you get a $250 bonus after the completion of training. This position pays commissions for rentals of trucks, trailers, or storage.

ConsSometimes the system is a little glitchy and you will lose calls or have reservations not go through. You are constantly monitored online and you must follow a set prompt which is sometimes hard to do when not every person you speak to is willing or able to go through the prompt questions; if you skip parts of the prompt or do not make your reservation quota (I believe 2.5/hr, but on slow days that can be a challenge), you will be reprimanded or lose your bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing your software and programming for the call center as well as for each individual location. There are over 15,000 locations that sell U-Haul products, so the system definitely needs to become more streamlined and regimented because sometimes sales, cancellations, etc. get lost in translation between the call center and the actual locations.

Good Company, after Manager, takes a while to be promoted

General Manager (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA

I worked at U-Haul full-time for more than 3 years

ProsQuick opportunities to move up, nice organized company. Not to many questions to understand job. Overall good experience

Cons60 hours a week, minimal pay. To many hours to work while trying to go to college to better yourself and family.

Once you start they will never let you stop

San Antonio, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpen work times, I can't think of any more

ConsNever a break! They beat down and use the employees untill they crack

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Customer Service Representative (Work from home)

Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than a year

ProsThe only things that I can say are good about working for U-Haul are the fact that I am able to work from home and the benefits offered to part time employees are pretty decent.

ConsManagement is horrible. We are supposed to provide excellent customer service, however, that is very difficult to do when we are constantly told that we really cannot do anything to help the customer with issues that they may be having. Most of the time when I ask a supervisor/manager for assistance, I am told sorry, we can't do that for the customer. Also, the wait time is horribly long when instant messaging for assistance to a question. I have also emailed my manager numerous times over the course of a year asking for assistance or direction when I have a question and most of those emails go unanswered. What's the point of having a manager if they never respond to your questions? I see why it's a revolving door at this company. Also a warning, if you do sign up as a work from home agent, beware that whatever schedule you say that you are available for, you will NEVER be able to change it even though they tell you that after 90 days you can request a new schedule. I have attempted to get approval for a new schedule for over a year now and it's always been denied!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAnswer emails when they are sent to you, don't ignore them. Also, instant messaging should be responded to much quicker than it usually is. It's embarrassing having a customer on the phone and having them wait so long just to answer a question they may have or to help them with an issue. That's not considered good customer service in my book!

Very fulfilling, hands-on, problem solving type work for employees looking for an entry level job.

Lewisville, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than a year

ProsI've learned an incredible amount of actual relevant information regarding wiring, repairs, engine maintenance, ect. Very good opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.

ConsNo one comes to U-haul completely happy about moving; its often a stressful time for customers, which in turn falls on the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more within the team, instead of bringing in outsiders no one respects for management positions.

good part time gig

Manteca, CA

Prosflexible
good people
great if you like being busy and working with customers one on one

Consupper management does not care about the low teir staff
non existint raises
working weekends is a must

Advice to Senior Managementpromote the right people.
train every staff member better

Worst ever, never accept a raise.

General Manager (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell some of the other employees can be good to know but that's about it.

ConsBesides the constant customer complaints, horrible upper management, constant threats of being fired, revolving door of upper management, being a glorified customer service rep when your title is manager, lack of payroll to safely run a store/assist to customers, seeing good people terminated for no reason, and on and on and on, the worst con was the time of my life wasted working for this company. Once you start to make too much money (which they give you in raises) you are pretty much on the chopping block. Your termination reason will vary but it will never be true and you will win in your unemployment trial because they have no facts or proof of your reason of termination. Its been over a year since my employment and I still talk to some people that work there (the ones that are left) and it hasn't changed. I was in management and had four different bosses during my 5-7 years of employment. I will not put my exact time as I know how they can be. Read up on the Shoen family and see if that's what you want on your resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management as they don't listen. They have no other concern than profits, period. My only advice is for job seekers, look elsewhere. Unless its just temporary. But good luck trying to find another job while you are employed, you will be worked to the bone, 65 to 80 hours a week and salary. Also I feel as if my resume has been tainted with this companies name on it. I have a excellent work history and finding a new job was extremely difficult after U-Haul. Never was in the past, if I wanted a job then I got it. STAY AWAY!

I love this job!

E Center Sales and Reservations (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than a year

ProsWork from home and great earning potential. I have a wonderful manager, who really helps teach us the skills we need to make the most money.

ConsOnly part time. Sometimes the customers are a bit challenging, but that's for any customer service/sales job.

Good, just needs to promote the right people

Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, great benefits, great for a part time job, gives plenty of skill sets. can boost confidance, sometimes.

Consoverworked, underpaid, no overtime, stressful at times, no chance of transfer or promotion for a long time.

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U-Haul reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen. All 178 reviews posted anonymously by U-Haul employees.