U-Haul

Updated January 24, 2015
3.2

U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Pros
  • Ability to work from home, free turkey for Thanksgiving, great work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Will only give you part time hours even if you don't need health insurance (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management not asking enough question upon dismissal of employee (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Transfer Driver

Former Employee - Transfer Driver in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Transfer Driver in Blaine, MN

I worked at U-Haul part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work independently. Low pressure. Great co-workers

Cons

Low pay. Trucks to be transferred are sometimes in need of repair when transferring to maintenance shop.

Do not work for U-Haul!!!

Former Employee - Business Professional in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Professional in Chandler, AZ

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Can not think of one.

Cons

There is a lot of nepotism within this company. Most of the upper management doesn’t have education/training required for their positions. The only individuals in upper level positions are those who are family or friends of the family. U-Haul claims to be a military friendly environment, but being a veteran myself I can assure you this is not true. Stress level is high and you are always having to look over your shoulder. While working for U-Haul I was constantly watched & monitored, not because of poor work performance, but because of the serious trust issues among the upper management. The pay was very low in addition to no hope for career advancement. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Just do a search on the internet and all you will find is customer and employee complaints.

Stop treating your employees like they are out to take your job. Instead embrace the knowledge and skills new employees have to offer. Just because your company has been doing something that way for years doesn’t mean it is the correct process for it.

I quite enjoyed working for this company until management switched hands.

Former Employee - Facility Housekeeping and Maintenance in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Facility Housekeeping and Maintenance in Greenville, SC

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

It"s great if you want a moonlighting job. Full time is almost never given. Numerous varied tasks keep it interesting.

Cons

Outdated mindset for women working for U Haul. Advancement past housekeeping positions is extremely limited.

Check your Marketing company presidents for corruption and E.O.E. violations based on gender. Check management of company resources for less than intelligent implementation.

Customer service

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for they take care of their people

Cons

I have no cons at this time

General Manager

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Had the best team in the industry, always moving and busy, learned from someone everyday a life long lesson, able to help people when it was the worst part of their day/life. Able to problem solve to make the customer happy and moving forward to a common goal.

Cons

Upper Management is way to back stabbing un willing to listen to the problems if it involves a favored co-worker.

Better training opportunities for those you want to advance and stop promising what you will never do.

Poor training breeds poor results.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at U-Haul part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice to move around while you work instead of having to sit at a desk all day.

Cons

The extent of their training is to have you watch videos online. When you ask questions, you vague responses - usually a few words back at most. Horrible communication lends itself to employee errors.

Manager had nothing nice to say about anyone - ever. Complained about anything and everything from the time I walked in the door to the time I walked out.

My center was constantly understaffed. Centers take shortcuts to keep up with the demand for their trucks. There is no way that all of those things are safe, considering CSRs frequently have to skimp on safety inspections to keep up with the pace of the work.

Our parking lot was always overcrowded because we would have only one person working on cleaning and returning the rental trucks, and our parking lot was often at about 130 percent capacity.

I worked for four hours per day and came home with about $28 after taxes. The pay is slightly above minimum wage where I live, and the work is demanding for that pay grade.

U-Haul has no regard for your personal schedule. People are seen as employees, not people.I was ultimately fired because I asked to go home an hour and a half after my scheduled shift had ended.

BOTTOM LINE: Rude customers, crowded parking lots, drama between the co-workers and management personnel and disregard for employees makes this a chaotic and frustrating place to work.

Train your employees so that they are adequately prepared for the job, and treat them as people - not just a means to higher profit.

Find a way to make your rental system practicable. In theory, routine inspection/cleaning/repairs/exceptional customer service sounds great. In practice, there are simply not enough CSRs on hand to do all of this work.

Rough

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Decent pay for upper management

Cons

Long hours, a lot of pressure to meet quotas

Support your centers more

Great experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paid every Wednesday

Cons

only part time hours available

It's Okay

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, great for college students, a place to make a buck but not a living.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are very limited. If you do advance, it will be demanding at the sacrifice of family time.

Take care of your people who work the hardest - this means monetarily.

flexible hours, fast paced,

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wausau, WI

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great benefits for moon lighters. great training programs. lots of incentives and bouns. also fexible hours helps works around your personal sechdule.

Cons

gotta be fast paced to keep up with training programs. minium wage only goes so for a part timer.

NEEDS FULL TIME POSITIONS i.e (CSR). mainly with this is because. work could be labor intesive for so little pay.

U-Haul Photos