U-Haul

Awesome Opportunity

Current Employee - Reservation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservation Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Unlimited potential for growth, ability to move around the country, people, benefits, discounts, family type atmosphere

Cons

Only con is the customers who don't know how the inventory system works.

Keep doing what you are doing! :)

the most self sustaining company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

flexible hours and the store i was at the manager required everyone to have a hilo license and a certificate to dispense propane. which was provided by uhaul.

Cons

outside in all kinds of weather.

Love the company, but HATE the people that work there!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative, GM, CCR in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative, GM, CCR in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at U-Haul full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at uhaul because I was able to help people. I had customers give me hugs because they were so thankful for my help, and that's the best feeling. It's fast paced, multi tasking, organized, and such a fun place to work. If ur like me someone that isn't LAZY, and is a hard worker this is a good place to work.

Cons

Most in upper management are lazy incompetent idiots!! The only thing they care about is money, and people kissing their rear ends! If u are a brownoser u will be taken to the top, but if u ACTUALLY are a great worker that doesn't need to do that, because ur work speaks for itself, u will be taken down n out! I worked for uhaul for 4 yrs 7 mths, I was promoted to GM after 3 yrs working as a CSR. After a year as GM, and doing an amazing job at getting my center, n employees on the right track, I was demoted without reason n replaced by someone who had only been working there 9 mths. SHE was completely inexperienced with the BASICS let alone management duties.

This goes out to the Shoen bosses: if u truly still believe in the philosophy ur father believed n inspired to provide when he started this company then u need to stop all the injustices MCP's, TCM's, and Shop managers are doing. They are giving this company a bad name. Soon there won't be any good employees that truly are proud to work for uhaul around because they are being discriminated against n replaced with slaps! The work morale will go down, there will be less n less customers then stores will have to close down.

Company for white, of white, by white

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disappointingly, employees may feel the window between people exist. Colour prevails over the intelligence, due diligience, performance of individual workers. If you don't speak in english fluently despite your hyper skills and knowledge, the company never retain you. This is their company philosophy.

Cons

What can account for the company is All white work in HR & Top management. No more description required

Good experience with customers and dealers, but MCP is sheisty

Former Employee - Reservation Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Reservation Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Good training with dealing with many people in one day

Cons

the mcp sexually harasses any one that is new

Get rid of Tulsa,Ok MCO 761 marketing company president

I had two weeks training. Everything was great until the last day of week 2 training.

Former Employee - Center Sales and Reservations in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Center Sales and Reservations in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

The only real benefit of this company is that they allow you to work from home and offer sales bonuses.

Cons

The list goes on and on it is a very micro-managed company the managers are not afraid to let you know that they are listening and watching everything you are doing. On the last day of week 2 training my internet went out and they fired me because of their attendance policies.

Show that you actually aprreciate your call center employees and allow you to transfer callers if you can't help them.

Great job if you can stick to the script

Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work
    Commission is easily obtained at $3/reserve
    Work-from-home possible
    2 weeks paid training

Cons

You'll lose your commissions if you fail to follow the cumbersome script (regardless of call outcome)

Consider allowing sales reps to immediately forward people to customer service if they're not calling with regards to reserves

Good crews, okay boss, petty middle management.

Current Employee - Detail Specialist
    Current Employee - Detail Specialist

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hours are consistent across the board and relatively flexible if early warning is given of changes. Friendly coworkers and many of them willing to help in a pinch if a task proves to great.

If you land a full time position you get a steady stream of hours with relatively simple work and generous break time.

Cons

Depending on your position and pay grade middle management will take every chance to walk all over you. I am a part time moonlighter with a valid need for full-time employment and a position that could easily benefit the facility and speed up the equipment repair and turnover rates.

Slow job progression and almost no pay raises with the average time to promotion ranging from 13 months to 2 years. If you work at a regional facility and you are not hired to a PM line or van body/re-imaging you will have to endure very long periods without compensation or progress.

Almost no training was involved in my particular case and instead was expected for me to know from day one.

Also it should be noted that the in company insurance sometimes will ignore direct input, even after declining benefits they may still activate them which is deducted from your paycheck.

Don't belittle the moonlighters personal sacrifices just to keep your product moving, personal health and welfare should come first for management. However, after two seasons, dozens of exposures, and slew infections it is taking its toll, your employee's health is more important then your quota.

Working for the company is fine and it mostly revolves around the people you work with and the types of customers.

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

It is perfect if you want part time, they have flexible schedules, and the work is not too demanding.

Cons

The company does all it can to cut hours so as to not give anyone benefits. If you just want a few extra hours of work it will make due but don't expect to make a career out of it unless you can get promoted quickly.

Let the employees do their jobs and try not to micromanage. Sometimes things are just slow and without extra advertising or cold calling there isn't much we can do about it.

High Turnover Rate, Aggressive Customers and Underpaid but a good part time job for students.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at U-Haul part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent part time job, flexible scheduling, Variety-not stuck in a fixed position all day. This would be a great job for a student or stay at home mom/dad looking to make some extra income for the household.

Cons

Horrible higher management that can be sometimes disrespectful, rude, and withdrawn unless you get lucky and are placed at a location with great management, it's possible. Underpaid for the amount of work they want done. Had to constantly beg for the raise that I was due for and lack of communication skills among some of the management. Don't like promoting from within.

Treat your employees like people and not like machines. It's okay to say job well done etc. The only time you communicate with your employees should not always be when they make a mistake, show your appreciation.

U-Haul Photos