U-Haul Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
331 reviews filtered by

I had two weeks training. Everything was great until the last day of week 2 training.

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

The only real benefit of this company is that they allow you to work from home and offer sales bonuses.

Cons

The list goes on and on it is a very micro-managed company the managers are not afraid to let you know that they are listening and watching everything you are doing. On the last day of week 2 training my internet went out and they fired me because of their attendance policies.

Advice to Management

Show that you actually aprreciate your call center employees and allow you to transfer callers if you can't help them.

2. the most self sustaining company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

flexible hours and the store i was at the manager required everyone to have a hilo license and a certificate to dispense propane. which was provided by uhaul.

Cons

outside in all kinds of weather.

High Turnover Rate, Aggressive Customers and Underpaid but a good part time job for students.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at U-Haul part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent part time job, flexible scheduling, Variety-not stuck in a fixed position all day. This would be a great job for a student or stay at home mom/dad looking to make some extra income for the household.

Cons

Horrible higher management that can be sometimes disrespectful, rude, and withdrawn unless you get lucky and are placed at a location with great management, it's possible. Underpaid for the amount of work they want done. Had to constantly beg for the raise that I was due for and lack of communication skills among some of the management. Don't like promoting from within.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people and not like machines. It's okay to say job well done etc. The only time you communicate with your employees should not always be when they make a mistake, show your appreciation.

5. Customer Service Representative

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Great company. Easy-going, great manager.

Cons

Little Holidays and opportunity for raises.

Center Sales Work From Home

Current Employee - Work At Home Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Work At Home Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

Pay is pretty decent for what I consider a very easy job...Making only 3 reservations per hour will get you $15.90 per hour! Company is very flexible with giving you time off if you can find someone to work your shift...You need to make a certain amount of reservations per hour to make your bonus, but pretty easy to do and for the most part management does not bother you...

Cons

A LOT of glitches in their system...takes awhile to figure out how to get around them, but once you do, it's okay...sometimes you will get some unhappy people, but that's to be expected...More nice ones than not...

7. Solid company

Current Employee - Area Field Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Area Field Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay and little turnover with the company.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate office and field. Lack of advancement.

Advice to Management

Improve initial training for area managers.

8. it is a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tigard, OR

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

learned computer skills and forklift certified.

Cons

learning to be good on telephones.

Advice to Management

always give a second chance to good employees

Managers of the Uhaul organization

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Supervisors are nice face to face because they appreciate such high power positions even though they are uneducated and very under payed. In the corporate office the work culture is very high if you are at least at a senior agent level. Anything lower will watch free cake, free ice cream, and free plates of food walk by them like they do not exist as people in the office as well. Once a year everyday employees can join the festivities in an annual appreciation luncheon.

Cons

If you call a U-haul center you will be routed to the Corporate office call center where you will speak to a high school drop out willing to lead you on about being at your local location if you do not ask them. If you ask to speak to their manager you are routed to another high school dropout stating that they are your Manager on Duty (given the position to keep salaries low in the organization for their corrupted CEO Joe Shoen). One of these senior agents told me that they can not put Manager on their resumes or call themselves managers in the corporate building. My senior agent friend told me that she would be disciplined for calling herself manager when it is not directly used to lie to disgruntled customers over the phone. Customer service reps and sales reps over the phone are actually working from home and have all of your credit/debit card information while in their living rooms. But, they reinforce that you are speaking over a secure connection and that they are in the customer care center. I worked in the call center in Phoenix, AZ and from my own home taking credit cards all day long (about 8 cards per hour). I did not steal card info but there are over 1,000 agents taking about 8 card numbers per hour. While Uhaul is awesome when it comes to there stores in person, behind the scenes it is a shady operation of lies.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to customers and stop playing your uneducated work force into low pay and work hours dictated like Nazi camps.

Uhaul treats their employees right!

Current Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great money for part time. Allows work from home. Offers benefits to part time employees. Is good to their employees.

Cons

Little room for growth or advancement, no sign of raise or incentives

Advice to Management

A raise to employees with good sales numbers or extra bonuses would be nice

Useful resource for income if you are moderately desperate

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at U-Haul

Pros

Very easy to obtain work at U-Haul. Application process is easy and due to extremely high turnover (see Cons), there is almost always positions available for immediate hire. Starting pay ranges from $10 to $12 per hour depending on the location and the fiscal strength of the center you apply at. Continued "education" program allows for employees to continue improving their U-Haul specific related skills measurably through a company-created curriculum available through their employee access Intranet. The job itself is relatively easy and that applies to all positions.

Cons

I have never worked at a place where customers are more sullen, manipulative, generally angry and downright disrespectful. Hey, I get it-- everyone hates moving. I know I do. The level of asinine behavior that one must deal with from the customer base is constantly high and any given day can bring you your worst customer service experience from an employee standpoint that you can imagine (and I've been praised by customers and employers alike for my adeptness in customer service in many jobs for years, so this experience is not attributable to me "just having a bad attitude"). The company itself offers poor benefits and attempts to keep all employees on part time schedules to keep their payroll down and less people eligible for full time benefits. Overall, this job is an excellent placeholder if you have recently become unemployed and have lots of bills that aren't going to just stop coming because you lost your income. Since you won't be working full time most likely, at least you'll have more time to search for your next job after U-Haul. People constantly come and go.

Advice to Management

Commit more energy to staffing and provide better pay and benefits to your employees. Build real teams instead of treating employment like a revolving door.

U-Haul Photos