U.S. Army Healthcare

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at U.S. Army Healthcare

Pros

Focused on delivering the best patient care for the best patients in the world. Many cutting edge capabilities and resources, especially in terms of electronic health records and associated technologies. Great benefits.

Cons

Bureaucratic, sometimes can be inflexible. Some jobs require very long hours, especially for military personnel, not so much for civilian and contract employees. Good communications and many opportunities.

Need to focus on collaboration with the other Services and with the VA. The Nationwide Health Information Network (NwHIN) is a strategic opportunity that the AMEDD has been presented with, but has not engaged on. We are ceding this effort to MHS without taking any sort of leadership role.

Great platform to launch from as a healthcare professional. An Army medical officer career has high highs and low lows.

Current Employee - Army Nurse Corps Officer in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Army Nurse Corps Officer in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at U.S. Army Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Nurse Corps Officer and there were/are many opportunities for personal and professional growth. Apart from my "job" as a nurse, I was afforded many opportunities at a young age to take on special projects, lead Soldiers and civilians, and just do otherwise neat stuff. I got to travel the world many times over, meet exciting people, and make life long friends. Overall, the compensation and benefits are great compared to your civilian peers.

If you're willing to take on some personal hardship and lifestyle changes, joining the Army honestly may be the best thing for you. It totally changed my family tree.

Cons

The Army Medical Department is very slow and cumbersome. We use antiquated, 1980's-era charting systems and techniques for the delivery of our care. Common sense solutions that are available off-the shelf right now can't be used in medical facilities (IT software, charting, billing techniques, referral procedures, etc.)

Although I'd like to believe that the people in the Army have a higher set of values, sadly that's not true. There are a lot of people who lie, cheat, and steal. Adultery, verbal abuse, hostile work environments are common.

You will move often. That was fine when I was young and single. But as a father and husband, it has been murder on my family. I missed the birth of my first child because of jerk leaders without souls.

Mission first, people always. It's not just a saying, it's our way of life. I wish more than 25% of you actually believed in this and demonstrated ethical leadership. It's sad to have to watch all the good ones go because of their frustration.

Gross Misconduct

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at U.S. Army Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

At least I was getting a paycheck.

Cons

Sexual harassment daily from the time you get to work to the time you leave post. You would think that the soldiers have never seen a female before and if they have they would know how to talk to and around one.

Don't just preach it, practice it.

Really good; a nice bunch of folks ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at U.S. Army Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good values, concern for people, and pretty good working conditions

Cons

Well, it is after all the Army. Bureaucratic and sometimes maddening, "two steps forward, one step backward."
    Current budget conditions mean -- things are in limbo for a while

Stop trying to do so many things at once; pace of work is too fast.

Army Medical Department is a global enterprise that works hard for the patient and has many opportunities.

Former Employee - Staff Officer
    Former Employee - Staff Officer

I worked at U.S. Army Healthcare

Pros

Wide spectrum of jobs.
    High-caliber, dedicated employees.
    A sacred mission that is practiced every day, in peace and in war.

Cons

Large bureaucracy; a bit clumsy on the corporate side.
    Too reactive to political pressures.
    Too many 'good ideas' which are sometimes implemented without appropriate resources.

Slim down the corporate headquarters; avoid making too many '1st priorities'. Pace mission execution; challenge organizations, but remain mindful of their limitations.