U.S. Army War College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
CEO

1. A meaningful, hands on and individually driven experiene.

Former Intern - Research Intern in Carlisle Barracks, PA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Carlisle Barracks, PA

I worked at U.S. Army War College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally encouraging environment. Meaningful research opportunities. Great on site amenities like a gym. Opportunities to meet a variety of international staff and a wide range of career people.

Cons

A large staff usually leads to feeling "in the way". Takes some time to get the civ-mil relationship in hand. Several times the work may not progress in a meaningful way due to diminishing resources.

2. Faculty Instructor / Course Director

Current Employee - Faculty Instructor in Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Faculty Instructor in Carlisle, PA

I have been working at U.S. Army War College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to academic freedom, committed to academic research and publication. Fantastic student body, senior officers that are the cream of each service and include over 75 international military officers. An absolutely unique teaching environment.

Cons

Typical government bureaucracy, especially around the edges of the academic environment. Some of the simplest things are made to be the most difficult through low-level highly empowered functionaries. Senior leadership has consolidated decision making and content focus at the command staff level, most of whom have zero experience in the classroom.

Advice to Management

Discard the staff organization, move the manpower back to the classroom, push decision space back to the DDE and SSL staff. The command staff is neither qualified nor invested in the academic process or product.

3. Great Experience

Pros

Work with incredible professionals and scholars

Cons

Location- Carlisle is not the best

5. An exceptional experience of personal and professional growth.

Pros

The quality of the professors and relevancy to strategic issues.

Cons

Small town is hard to adapt to when coming from Washington, DC

Advice to Management

too much change too fast is not advisable

6. Staff member for 3 years

I have been working at U.S. Army War College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, awesome environment, great people

Cons

No place is perfect, but this is about as close as it gets.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. Not IT

Current Employee - Computer Clerk in Carlisle Barracks, PA
    Current Employee - Computer Clerk in Carlisle Barracks, PA

Pros

Great Pay: GS-5 to GS-9 or 35,000 to 50,000+ is good for what the type of work is, Basically you get paid well because this job requires a Top Secret security clearance. Most times I am not sure why we need a Top Secret. It almost seems like overkill. I came in thinking it was an IT job and a stepping stone in an IT career. I was wrong. This is probably 90% not IT and 10% low level IT desktop support. All you will ever do is set up portable desktop computers for the different conferences or classes that CSL supports. That means carrying 40ib computers and setting them on tables, hooking up power, ethernet cables, tying up cables, taping down cables to floor, starting a network ready image process, logging them and maybe a few more menial tasks to get them ready for the conference or class. Benefits: This has to be the best vacation and sick time allotment anywhere. As a veteran I get almost 20 days a year vacation or 6 hours every two weeks, and everyone gets 13 sick days a year or 4 hours every two weeks.

Cons

- Your going to waste your time not learning much about IT. - You may not even get promoted to another grade or another position on post because no one leaves. - You WILL work with people who don't care, and don't like their job - You WILL work with people that outrank you that know nothing about IT

Advice to Management

Times have changed, IT people that work in the field or desktop support rarely wear business casual anymore. We work on the floor, we run around, we break our backs moving equipment around, we sweat while being strangled all day by a style invented to be worn by business men back in the old days.

8. It's not the War College...

Current Employee - Police Officer in Fort Sill, OK
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Fort Sill, OK

Pros

Flexible Hours, Interesting job, Good start for Law Enforcement career

Cons

Promotions are based on whether you retired from the military, at Ft Sill or not.

Advice to Management

Law Enforcement Incentive pay

RSS Feed </> Embed