U.S. Bank

1,604 Reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,102 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

156 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rewarding the hard worker

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that nor only values it's customers, but also it's employees. US Bank offers many options to grow.

Cons

Since it is retail you can't always get requested days off

AMAZING!

Current Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Eureka, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, great leadership, community feel for a larger bank, opportunity to grow

Cons

Could have better benefits but still not too bad

Positive overall, especially when considered as a place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Credit Analyst III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My managers and coworkers have been incredibly competent and supportive. Also, the company implemented an excellent in-house cash flow and credit training program that has enhanced my skills dramatically. The work is interesting and demanding, making it an ideal place to gain experience as a credit underwriter.

Cons

Pay is on the low end of the scale, and pay increases are incremental at best - they do not keep up with inflation. Prospects for advancement in my department are very limited. Health insurance is ok but not great.

Examine compensation standards - the bank generally experiences high turnover, because it cannot match offers from other employers. By not increasing pay, the bank sends the message that it does not care enough to adjust salaries upward in order to retain qualified employees.

Worked for 4 yrs

Former Employee - In-Store Senior Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - In-Store Senior Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Great products to offer the customers. Bank is very competitive. great management and outstanding recognition to employees. Star of excellence and annual star of excellence was oke of the highlighted events in my life.

Cons

Worst pay in the banking industry. Very slow dimes and nickles pay increase. bad hours in instore branches

To keep hard working bankers and managers i think the management really should increase the pay.

Okay

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Larkspur, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Larkspur, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Okay company to work for. Made a lot of lifetime friends.

Cons

Not that organize but better than bigger corporation.

Overall positive experience, but pay was frustrating and gaining exposure to other lines of business is difficult.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair management. Sales pressure not over the top and goals are realistic. Executive leaders are approachable and take time to engage employees on branch level.

Cons

Below average pay. Company is pretty cheap when it comes to spending on employees. Difficult to retain top talent because of salary offerings.

Great bank to start your banking career.

Former Employee - In-Store Banker in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - In-Store Banker in San Jose, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great bank to start a banking career, flexible with its employees

Cons

They probably need improvements in there benefits.

Old bank company trying to play in a bigger pond

Current Employee - Teller I in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Teller I in Torrance, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most branches close at 1pm on Saturday and are closed on Sunday unless you work at a grocery store branch, lame...and don't!
    Pay is OK and potential for credit card sales referral bonuses are nice if you branch has traffic and customers with decent credit to get approved. Otherwise, most will get declined and won't want to do Secured CC.
    My branch manager was really cool. Let us work and do our thing without ever interjecting unless necessary.
    Value volunteering and get paid for it too!

Cons

US Bank talks about growth but it isn't really available because of favoritism and lack of opportunities. Due to the size of the bank and how US Bank grows which is to acquire other banks then change them into US Bank branches, you don't get new positions opening until someone is fired, quits or is promoted (which doesn't happen often). When a spot opens, the upper management usually already have their pick for the job.

When I was a teller with a BA and certificate in Business/Accounting, they made a big stink about a TC (Teller Manager) opening and that I had to interview several times for a job I was already doing for several months because our TC was promoted so there wasn't anyone doing her job except ME! On top of doing her job, I was the sole vault (primary and backup) plus I was the ATM custodian while training new Tellers.

To make matters worse, they were paying the new Tellers what I was getting paid even though I got a "raise" and had all this responsibility.

Also, they take their surveys too seriously. They want 5 out of 5 stars but I would get a 4 out of 5 on the hardest category which was a subjective category named something like "was I made to feel special". If you got a 4, then the whole survey was a fail. I used to have 100 percent on all other categories and was told that my special score was "low" because I was too efficient. What? Yup, I was told my management to slow down because I was too good at processing transactions and need to talk and joke with customers more.

The Bankers work WAYYYY too hard because each branch only has one or two of them so they are always busy with their business so when you refer a potential customer to them, the customer has to wait sometimes up to 30 minutes. Who wants to wait 30 minutes to open an account?

Plus US Bank technology is OLD. Their ATMs were recently upgraded to accept checks, their teller windows don't have card readers to open customer profiles...we have to manually type in their information to search for it.

Also, branches are OLD OLD OLD. Go into any branch and they suck. US Bank has NO unifying identity like Chase does. Go into a newer Chase branch and they all look nice, high tech and professional.

Seriously, work for Chase, Wells or BofA if you want to make money by working hard.

Stop promoting your buddies and promote people with drive, skills and proven track records. Stop being so cheap with the wages because you will just lose your talent to a better paying company.

Also, get more tech savy and stop charging your customers to use check deposit from a smart phone. Yeah, it cost money to deposit a check from your phone.

The company is doing more with less. More hours, more sales, less people, less resources.

Current Employee - In-Store Banker in Upland, CA
    Current Employee - In-Store Banker in Upland, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people work here. There are many different personalities and a many options for growth.

Cons

There is a lack of consideration for the employees from the district managers and above. There needs to be more open discussion about working conditions and work-life balance.

Give your hard working employees the reassurance, and respect they deserve. Don't try to achieve higher results without proper personnel placement and training. Do not put the carriage before the horse, so to speak.

In-store banker

Former Employee - In-Store Banker in Granite Bay, CA
    Former Employee - In-Store Banker in Granite Bay, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with good people.
    Benefits are good. they do keep work life balance for bankers.

Cons

Pay is below avg.
    The Commission structure is horrible.
    they expect you to hit goals with little to no help from the system. your not allowed to go out of your area, or try to bring people from other locations.
    turnover is very high.
    its like 2007 wells fargo.

give your bankers the compensation they deserve, also when its time for bonuses don't keep them for yourselves. and quite taking so long to promote people if your going to say to your banker that they will get a promotion if they exceed there goals for 2+ qtrs. follow through with it.

U.S. Bank Photos