U.S. Bank

Updated Jul 7, 2014

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis

Richard K. Davis

112 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for!

Universal Banker (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsVery ethical company, promotions are easy if you are hard working, leadership wants you to be successful

Conspay is not the best

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to cultivate a culture of growth from within

Extremely Passive Aggressive Culture

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsCEO seems to be a man of integrity and drives the bank conservatively. Fair compensation and above average retirement benefits. Work from home opportunities are a plus.

ConsHuge disconnect between the technology teams and business lines. Large virtual workforce which lends itself to a passive aggressive culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees and stop fighting amongst yourselves.

Great company with bad management wiring some groups

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood growth opportunities across multiple organizations

ConsBad management. Lack of career planning & development

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work...

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat benefits. Great staff. Lots of good upper-level female leaders. Conservative in their risk-taking, which is good in a bank. Liberal in their culture, which is good in an employer.

ConsAs is typical in large organizations, some departments were so dysfunctional and the people so Machiavellian that it made working with them unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRichard Davis is an inspirational leader.

Great culture, strong leadership.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe U.S. Bank culture is great. The employees are amazing and senior management does a great job of making your feel that your work matters.

ConsAll of my major pay increases have been due to me leaving a department or threatening to leave. I feel that the company needs to put more emphasis on rewarding employees who continuously grow and develop in their current job (if they love the work). Leaving the department should be more for a new learning opportunity (not just for better pay).

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that the company needs to put more emphasis on rewarding employees who continuously grow and develop in their current job (if they love the work). Leaving the department should be more for a new learning opportunity (not just for better pay).

Financial Analyst Review

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat people, lots of opportunities if you work hard toward them

ConsWork life balance can be tough sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

UNREALISTIC

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsFellow employees trying to stay engaged and positive. Customer interactions. Team environment. Job security if you can handle it

ConsThis company will suck the life out of you! They expect you to act like a physician always on call, not matter what. However, the compensation in no way warrants the demands. You are never, ever, going to be able to deliver enough for this company. If you do well, they simply short staff your branch and expect more. They talk a good game about career development, work life balance, etc. Do not be fooled this is the WalMart of banks. High stress sells environment. Product selling masked behind "Needs Assessments". Senior Management is not involved enough in internal promotion opportunity allowing many under qualified individuals to be advance based on personal relationships rather than achievement and skill. Realize you can't push a product to the same customer that comes in every week. Find other reasons to value your employees! Micro managing people only brings down moral and is not motivating your employees! Realize that people have family's and a life outside if the bank!! Stop expecting the bank to be the employees first priority over their own family! Management is very disrespectful to employees, making them stay late if they didn't hit sales numbers. Talk down to managers and employees. Pressure for sales has employees opening other accounts for themselves or multiple accounts for one client, therefore they aren't growing the business at all. Goals are unrealistic, I've been in this business a long time and have never seen anything like it. Leaving company. So many employees are unhappy and stressed out. They were once a great company but have become pushy sales all the time. Unrealistic goals. Heavy micromanagement. Up to 4 conference calls a day. Employees who cheat the system to make goals are rewarded, while honest employees are managed out. It's not even a secret. Management doesn't care about you. You're just a number to them. The pay isn't competitive. Unbelievable rate of turnover. All the good managers quit because they realize, it will never change. Customers can open accounts, credit cards and take out loans online now, most of the customers walking in the branch need maintenance, help with fraud, difficult situations debt with and assistance with problems. There is not as much time for all the proactive calling and selling and balancing it all as senior leaders think. No assistance for help solving problems, we are on our own to find resources and correct problems for customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift your sales focus to quality and profitability instead of widgets. Talking someone into opening 3 extra personal checking accounts doesn't do much for your bottom line. Look up the definition of the word "integrity." Figure out how to stop management from needing to complete worthless and unnecessary duties to show numbers. Doing whatever it takes to win campaigns is taken literally by managers and they are constantly rewarded for it while the rest are forced to cover for them to go on awards prize trips with their families, leaving own branch short handed. The rest of the managers are left to clean up the messes others make, often customers go to other branches to report, and it is ignored by new DM's. Upper Management consistently communicates the importance of employee recognition, coaching and developing your teams, motivate, inspire, be a Leader not a Manager! Upper management does not know how to influence to motivate, they do not recognize achievement, they demotivate. The managers who call themselves leaders need retraining in leadership essentials. There is no work/life balance; my family has to come second and that is it. As a Manager, I am expected to meet all of the sales goals (through coaching my bankers) and will be written up if I don't meet those expectations. Because I am salary, I work 6 days/60 hours per week and it doesn't matter to upper management. Region expectation of not cutting hours during slow days in the middle of the week for Saturday mandatory working, for some managers, that is, not the "favorite ones", is unacceptable to work life balance. Forced to use then, vacation days for appointments and family responsibilities. Being told that we will be terminated for such attempts, is demoralizing to all. Only have experience in the Saint Paul/Minneapolis market, not sure if these same "mandatory" and "required" hours and expectations are mandated around the nation. 3 years in this role has been enough. Going back to where I was before. Grass is most certainly not always greener..............

U.S. Bank's CEO is a marvelous leader who is a motivator and brings positive attitudes to his employees.

Treasury Management Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsI appreciated the executive leadership at U.S. Bank. I worked there for 29 years, and the mot recent leadership, I feel is outstanding.

ConsMy only challenge in working at U.S. Bank very isolated.

Advice to Senior ManagementListening skils could be honed on. Don't just listen, but hear what your direct reports are saying.

My Branch Manager Sucked

Universal Banker (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsLocation, Great Resume Builder, Career Opportunities.

ConsCompensation, Manager was a moron, Their technology is so old.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider to truly analyze your managers because some of them (specially mine) is a moron! She just doesn't get it. I don't know how in hell she got the position.

Wonderful people, typical financial services systems environment, would go back in a heartbeat!

"Executive" Based On Pay-grade (Titles Are Deceiving) (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsLeadership is smart (I may be biased since I was in leadership). Wonderful people to work with. Wonderful environment to be in; like family. Will embrace change, but you have to sell it up, down and across and it takes time.

ConsAt times will move counter to data based on historical perspective. Legacy systems create challenge for getting projects implemented. Tech resources challenging to get. Innovation takes longer (it is a bank though, so to be expected). Young in innovatively approaching the retail business. Pervasive silos in leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the extent possible, permeate the culture with more Venturo-like thinking (innovative) on the Retail side of the house. Innovation should be a part of the fabric of the entire organization. To do this, embrace people that think and operate differently. Celebrate the failures and the successes. Careful not to squeeze innovation out (and people that are "different" in ensuring success. You have created a pretty good culture. I know it's hard, but push to be even greater!!

Worked for U.S. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

U.S. Bank Videos

U.S. Bank – Why Work for Us?

About U.S. Bank You're considering a career with one of the most admired, reputable and strongest banks in the United States. By focusing on integrity, putting customers first and continually innovating, we're… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Bank reviews and ratings in Minneapolis, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U.S. Bank CEO Richard K. Davis. All 112 reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Bank employees.