U.S. Bank

Updated February 28, 2015
3.3

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

233 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Very high ethical standards for a bank which is nice to be a part of.

Current Employee - Teller in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Teller in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Great management, opportunities for cash bonuses based on referrals, management really focuses on employee development and feels like you are really being supported and looked out for, hire within first so its nice that employees looking to advance have a better chance, best banking package given to employees

Cons

somewhat archaic way of doing things, operations is a pain in the butt and they really focus in on making sure you are doing everything procedurally correct and its a big issue if your not, audit season is a headache and huge stress factor, customer service is rated and can be a pain in the butt because of the all or nothing mentality of scoring, referrals get annoying, can be high stress due to nature of customer service industries, hard to get a promotion or raise it seems

I would advise upper management to focus on not only recognizing but REWARDING employees for their hard work; banking is a tough and demanding (mentally and emotionally) job; good employees don't get enough credit and compensation for that. Also, the bank brand is weak.

Enjoyable when challenged.

Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers.
    Provides initial challenge to structure creative career trajectories.

Cons

Somewhat bureaucratic with processes and career mobility.
    IT infrastructure
    Certain main stream operating software packages are dated.
    Quality of middle management not as strong as front office Executive Management team.

Bad Compensation in an OK Environment

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is ample opportunity to grow for the most motivated employees. The company holds steadfast to their core beliefs and is extremely activist in their charities and for minority employees and clientele. The employees are kind and open-minded and management will always lend their ears to your concerns. There is a constant search to improve processes, but...

Cons

Compensation is incredibly low. US Bank understands that people are willing to accept less money in the state of the economy and take full advantage of how much work one person can do on a dime. Not to mention, their vacation/sick time and healthcare policies are a joke.

With increased regulations there is major resistance to change and a palpable sense of fear and panic.

Tighten up, lighten up, wear a smile, and try to get your employees the money they work for.

My experience to date has been interesting subject matter, but a toxic atmosphere.

Current Employee - Corporate Audit in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Audit in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, bank holidays, work-life fit, potential grow opportunities

Cons

Toxic atmosphere, lack of team comradery, poor technology, outdated and cold environment

Great people, great heart, slow and bureacratic

Former Employee - Human Resources Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Human Resources Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Community culture, engaging senior leadership, strong financials

Cons

Tenure drag, very slow to react and invest in change, complex and endless political pressures

Senior Internal Auditor

Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, annual bonuses, great 401k match, long-term incentives if you're employed long enough

Cons

Very slow to update to the times

They seem to be trying however org structure becoming to middle management heavy

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Valued employees can be taken care of. Banker's holidays. If you are good at managing boundaries - life balance can be good. If you get your work done good managers may allow time off during the work day for your children and health care. My position allows for telecommuting as I require. Women without a family & those who work tremendous amount of hours can have potential to move up the organization but they MUST HAVE A WHITE MALE as their SPONSOR.

Cons

80% of resource managers are less than average. YOU have to figure out the labyrinth to get to your next job or level. DO NOT expect any help from resource managers, HR or your organization. Almost easier to get a job outside of USBank than to move within. Don't expect promotions or more than 2.5% increase if you are better than good. If you are a woman who enjoys her family life do expect a Glass Ceiling. White men are promoted or will be hired from outside the org before a woman of equal or better skills and talent is promoted.

Get rid of the resource managers who don't like managing people. SO many talented people but the culture continues to manage like the 1980's

U.S. Bank Response

Feb 6, 2015

U.S. Bank values diversity in our communities and our employees. An experience like the one you detailed is concerning, and we want to look into it. Please contact us at ... More

Great company

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Room for advancement

Cons

VERY tight with the budget. They dont even give you pens at the branch

Keep your employees happy

Internship

Former Employee - Web Developer/Technical Writer in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Web Developer/Technical Writer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Opportunity for a college student to learn about working in a large corporation
    many opportunities to present my work to superiors in the organization (I felt like my work was recognized and appreciated)
    Best internship I ever had!

Cons

The department I was placed in did not have enough work for me to do, so I spent a lot of time shadowing others and pursuing my own projects.

better prepare for internships (although I was very satisfied)

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of advancement opportunities. Pay is reasonable. The company culture is great. Very ethical company.

Cons

Like many places, management could use some work. The company is very number focused. They say heavenly promote to provide great customer service but the goals that are set make it hard to deliver the service our customers deserve.

Stop micromanaging. Listen to your top performing employees. Take a look at the competition as U.S. Banks policies and procedures our out of date and provide a poor customer experience.

U.S. Bank Photos