U.S. Bank

1,571 Reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,087 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 96 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

VP Northeast Region for Voyager

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Base was fair for all of the traveling.

Cons

They have no idea what they are doing. They rip you off on commissions and never give you any support or reports to track your progress. They also only give you 1 warning. Not very professional.

It takes way to long to get contracts to be approved and even longer for credit to be approved. The competition only takes 2 days to have any account approved and 3 days for contracts.

The management team you have right now handling Voyager don't understand fleet and they don't care about their sales team. One manager show no respect for his team an thinks they are all whiners and crybabies, plus he treats them like that.

I was mislead, lied to and had no support. One manager wanted us to go downsize in the fleet and if we did that we wouldn't even come close to our target numbers. He really know what he's doing.

In fact, if we were in the Army, in war time the manager I had would be the 1st Lt. who would be shot in his back by his own men because they knew he didn't know what he's doing and by shooting him in the back it would get him out of the way so their lives would be saved.

Prospect's in the northeast thought Voyager when out of business because there hadn't had anyone living in the northeast for almost 10 year. Prospects don't care that US Bank is the 5th largest bank. Their is no leasing relationship with 10 of the leading lessors & the people handling that relationship don't have a clue what they are doing.

The other bankers within US Bank would help you get into an account because there was no credit for them.

The management team within CPS doesn't live up to any of the core values that they push on you.

If US Bank were smart they would sell Voyager because US Bank hasn't been able to do anything with Voyager since 1999 and your letting a great platform die by not showing any interest.

Will Never Recommend anyone to work for this company!

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

I have no pros for working at US Bank!

Cons

There are to many cons to list!

Practice what you preach!

Wells Fargo without the pay, support, staffing, and bennefits

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Good reputation for a large bank
    -Pension
    -Annual Pinnacle

Cons

-Virtually no staffing
    -Poor salary and incentive plan
    -Book of Business
    -Health Bennefits are horrible
    -Support departments and branch partners are not held to the same standards as branches (I.e. Customer Experience, BOB, LAMP)
    -Training
    -Constant errors and "work arounds" because of changes that were planned poorly
    -Don't promote from within
    -No support from marketing and we were not even allowed to mail out flyers made by marketing without having to go through a lengthy, costly process through marketing.

1) Hold all partners and support departments to the same standard as the branches (Customer Experience and Lamp). Quit making excuses for underperforming departments like Direct Lending
    2) Stop cannibalizing branch FTE to start new positions (Small Business Specialists) who take credit for business brought in by the manager and banker
    3) The Book of Business should belong to the BBOs and Small Business Specialists. They should also be held to the same performance standards of LAMP and Customer Experience.
    4) Train and develop your own people instead of hiring people that couldn't make it at Wells Fargo. There "real" top performers get promoted and would never leave for less compensation.
    5) The Health Bennefits are too expensive for what you get which is basically just overpriced catastrophe insurance.
    6) No more "work arounds" for changes that don't go as planned. Hold people accountable for not thinking things through before the implementation of a change. Mistakes happen but not at the frequency they currently occur at and customers are less likely to be impacted.

Total Trainwreck

Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros to working here, it's terrible.

Cons

Cheap company, very disorganized, terrible management, no training,

Pay a livable wage

Micromanaged to death

Former Employee - Teller I in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Teller I in Tacoma, WA

I worked at U.S. Bank part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers were great, great hours, friendly staff and fair pay for the work you're doing.

Cons

The branch I worked in was excessively micromanaged. So the review is strictly for the branch I worked in: The tellers had to have their work reviewed every hour, interaction between peers was discouraged, unless it was to review bank policies or bank business. What was "ok" for some employees was not "ok" for others. On more than one occasion, I was loudly corrected by one of my managers, each time, I was actually correct, and because she was attempting to monitor every ones interactions with customers, didn't hear the entire correspondence. When I had "Top Boxes" (I had 100% on all my shops, and never had anything below a 5) I would hear from peers, the HR hiring rep who hired me, tellers and managers from OTHER branches; while getting corrections and coaching from my own managers. I had even heard from employees from other branches that "your branch is where they send people they want to get rid of. They either keep track of minimal infractions until they add up enough to fire them; or make them so miserable they eventually quit." Well, let me tell you, it's the absolute truth!!

Get new management! Be less overbearing and please stop being so superficial and fake. Everyone can tell it isn't genuine.

Experience will depend on direct leadership

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Columbus, OH

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO has a great vision for the company

Cons

Unrealistic expectations make meeting quota for incentive almost impossible. no work-life balance.

Regional managers should be more involved and aware of lower management staff.

Technology PM

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Too much middle management .

Bank Teller in the pits

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

It's a large company with opportunity for promotion. I worked with some great clients and built some great connections.

Cons

Horrible pay, lackluster technology, poor training, major turnover. The management was terrible on every level.

Set reasonable performance goals for staff. I observed several co-workers breach ethics because they were going to get fired if they didn't meet their sales goals. Management was absolutely clueless. No sense of conflict resolution.

Burnout, drama, awful management from Branch Manager and District Manager

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Monroe, WA
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Monroe, WA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really loved building relationships with my customers. That was the one and only enjoyable aspect of my position.

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE! I know that in every branch, you will find different leadership types and some awesome/not-so-awesome managers. Well, I was really cheated, I think.

When I began, it was like I had the red carpet rolled out. I walked into my branch and had big gift bags on my desk, notes all over, a big welcome poster over my computer screen. Sadly, this warm welcome faded fast. The first issue, and I know others who have been a banker or a manager will agree, is that the new training program they rolled out is awful. You no longer go to a designated location for a set period of time (1-3 months, or whatever). I was in the first group to experience the new process where you are fully in your branch for training, which is all self-guided except for weekly call-ins with you class. Basically this means that I was sitting at my regular desk, on my computer, looking like I'm doing nothing. When you're coming to a branch that's already short staffed, it's awkward and hard on everyone for you to be just sitting there unable to help out.

The other big issue that eventually caused total chaos in my branch and resentment from all my coworkers was the fact that I have the ability to run a cash drawer, too, when times get really busy. Because I had come from being a teller with Wells Fargo, I was expected to jump in from the beginning and get in cash even if I was in training courses. It became such a big problem for me to get through my training because I was constantly being yelled at (literally, tellers and manager/CSM, would yell at me across the branch to hurry up and end my training to get in cash... embarrassing).

I had done so well in every aspect of my job. My customer service was great, I had a huge loan pipeline, etc. When my 90 day review rolled around, it was about 5 seconds of how well I had done, and 30 minutes of how much of a burden I am to the branch because of my training and that I need to skip the training because backup teller duties come first. My trainer had to call my manager several times because I vented to her all the time about why I was so far behind in my work.

Finally, one Friday my district manager came into our branch. Of course everyone was on edge and being extra cautious to make sure we did everything perfectly during her visit. I was shocked when she and my manager called me into the conference room.

When I walked in, they threw confetti on me to congratulate me for a huge customer service goal I had achieved. As soon as the confetti hit the floor, they said "Ok, now let's get down to business." They then spent over an hour going back and forth about the same BS I had heard in so many other "meetings" with the manager about how my training has been a burden on everyone, how my CSM was mad when she forced me to take a live training conference call up on the teller line in front of customers because we were short staffed and I turned up the call volume to be able to hear questions my instructor was asking me, and that other employees felt I was an unproductive team member. UM, LOOK AT YOUR BRANCH NUMBERS!! Oh, and because I told my CSM that I didn't know businesses received customer service calls, that apparently meant to them I was justifying why it was ok to give business bad service?!?! What the heck. At that point, I was like you've got to be kidding me. They passed me a formal warning over the table with these "incidents" and hadn't even asked me before to clarify or defend myself.

My children also had severe illnesses that caused frequent seizures. Coworkers would tell me I was just faking their sicknesses to get time off, and management didn't care. I was really hurt by that.

Needless to say, I had a lot to think about over that weekend. I came back and gave my notice on Monday.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER looked back. I had an awful, deceptive branch manager who'd be nice to your face and write you up for rumors behind your back. We got a new district manager who played the same game.

Pretty sad, US Bank lost a great employee over two awful managers and a horrible training program. After 3 months of hearing what a burden I was, I was so burnt out. I knew I'd be able to find a better, less nit picky employer who would actually treat employees fairly.

Don't hand out warnings (especially formal, written warnings) for BS that wasn't even accurate, ask the employee being warned to clarify or justify the situation. The warnings follow your employees for future employment and really takes a blow on morale.

Change your banker training program to be OFF SITE! Three months of online, in the branch training caused total burnout and sooooo many issues between coworkers/management.

Poor pay, bad hours, no ethics.

Former Employee - In-Store Banker
    Former Employee - In-Store Banker

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

My coworkers were pretty nice.

Cons

Often stuck in open-close captive hours for days on end. Low compensation. No concern for work-life balance of employees. The focus of the job is to force debt on customers. Training was hurried and skipping through important sections was encouraged by management.

Quit forcing your employees to work immense overtime, open-close captive shifts, and shove aside their vacation time. You are taking people who were excited and interested in the banking world and burning them out. Loyalty earns you nothing in this company.

U.S. Bank Photos