U.S. Bank Reviews

3.3
U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,318 Ratings

Pros
  • Good flexibility in terms of work-life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Good work environment with modest benefits (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough sometimes (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about the little guy (in 52 reviews)

2,069 Employee Reviews

1. THE MINNESOTA MONOLITH

Current Employee - FREIGHT AUDIT CLERK in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - FREIGHT AUDIT CLERK in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DECENT JOB, IT'S AN ALTERNATIVE

Cons

THEIR NAPERVILLE, IL. OFFICE IS POPULATED MY HIGHER LEVEL MANAGEMENT INCOMPETENTS. THEY HAVE A HISTORY OF PRIOR MANAGEMENT FAILURE UNDER A DIFFERENT EMPLOYER, BUT GOT A "NEW LEASE ON LIFE" WHEN THEY WERE ACQUIRED BY USBANCORP. BECAUSE USB NEEDED INCUMBENT MANAGEMENT TO FILL SLOTS, THESE "LOW GRADE" MANAGERS STAYED. UP UNTIL THE TIME OF ACQUISITION, THESE MANAGERS WERE NOT HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR MISERABLE PERFORMANCE, BECAUSE THE PRIOR BUSINESS OWNER'S ONLY CONCERN WAS DUMPING A POORLY RUN BUSINESS. USB TRANSFORMED THE BUSINESS TO A MUCH MORE PROFITABLE OPERATION. IF THE BUSINESS WOULD HAVE REAMINED IN THE HANDS OF THE PRIOR OWNERS, WITH THESE MANAGERS IN PLACE, IT WOULD HAVE GONE BANKRUPT.

Advice to Management

UNDERSTAND THAT THE RANK-IN-FILE IN THE NAPERVILLE OFFICE CANNOT STOMACH THE MANAGEMENT THAT RESIDES THERE. THEY ARE INTIMIDATED, DISRESPECTED, TAKEN FOR GRANTED, AND IN FEAR OF KEEPING THEIR JOBS. THE MANAGERS DO NOT COMMUNICATE FUTURE PLANS WITH ANY REAL SPECIFICS, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO IMPLEMENT A PLAN THAT WILL EVENTUALLY RESULT IN A MATERIAL REDUCTION IN FORCE. USB SHOULD INVESTIGATE THE EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND OF THOSE WHO ARE MANAGING THAT LOCATION.

Look Elsewhere!

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

You get to sit all day, eat a lot and listen to your own music.

Cons

The computers and software used is ancient. Productivity tracking is a joke. Management sits in "Meetings" all day and would be lost if they actually had to do the work themselves. Health plans suck. If you get a 15 cent raise a year, you're lucky. The longer you work there, the less you make. New hires will always make more than you, even if you've been there 10 years. Most of the coworkers are fat and lazy and also create a high school atmosphere. Tattling is very common. The company makes over a Billion dollars every quarter but is very cheap when it comes to the employees. Equipment and supplies are the cheapest junk they can find. Most employees bring in their own pens. They hardly ever promote from within.

Advice to Management

Any advice to management would be a waste as they wouldn't understand it anyway.

3. Opportunities for advancement - but not a fun place to work

Former Employee - Vice President - Relationship Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Vice President - Relationship Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

- compensation is improving from historically very low levels - opportunity for advancement (because turnover is high)

Cons

- lack of consistent messages from C-level management - lack of entreprenuerial spirit -

Advice to Management

- improve consistency in messages to field personnel, espcially in regard to credit approval/appetite

U.S. Bank Does NOT Provide Five Star Service To Its Employees

Former Employee - Administrative Services Representative IV in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Representative IV in Denver, CO

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Most of the people with whom I worked were very nice and professional. For me, the most positive aspects of my job were the degree of interpersonal interaction and the pleasant people with whom I worked.

Cons

The bank payscales are from the 90's. My "raise" this year was $500. The out-of-pocket cost of the medical, dental, and prescription coverage premiums is several hundred dollars a month if you have a spouse and/or children on your plan. The computer equipment, too, is from the 90's. The computers are SO slow- employees could be SO much more productive if the computers were up-to-date. Communication from the upper management and the more-direct management is extremely poor, if not pretty much non-existent. The office space is dreary and old, and is unpleasant to work in. No monies are spent on the employees- not for salaries, good benefits and perks, bonuses, updated office space and equipment- not for any of these things!!

Advice to Management

Richard Davis has repeatedly expressed to the employees that he wants to make U.S. Bank one of the Best 100 Places To Work. If he was serious about it, he and the other management could review and study the models of Fortune magazine's 100 Best Places To Work. I have looked through the profiles of the "Best" companies, and U.S. Bank couldn't be further from any of them. To attract and retain the best and brightest people, companies have to value their employees and their hard work. U.S. Bank does not do that- at all- and I don't think has any true intention of trying to model the "Best" companies for which to work.

I would NEVER recommend US Bank as an employer

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Because of the size of the company, there are many opportunities for advancement if you know the right people. The bank is located in many states, so if you would like to move, there are opportunities located elsewhere. I don't feel that the benefits package was so bad. A bit confusing when putting it all together, but I was happy with my coverage. They also have a good short term disability program after a year of service. If you are a highly competitive sales person and perform extremely well, the payoffs can be quite large (but see the downsides of that same thing below).

Cons

They have unrealistic expecations of the number of hours you need to put in. In order to succeed, you are expected to disregard your home life. The company preaches about ethics and will terminate you immediately if you violate those ethics. Yet, management is the one pushing you to do unethical things. They will push you to sell a product to just about anybody that walks in the door, even if it is not appropriate for the customer. It's a highly hypocritical company. It's a "Churn em and Burn em" mentality. The pay is horrible for what they are asking you to sacrifice. Upon promotion, management will limit your percentage of increase even if it is not within the market values. For example...they will hire a teller at $10/hr and then promote that teller to a teller supervisor and since there is an 8% max on increases, they will only pay that employee $10.80 to be a supervisor. But if they hire a teller supervisor from an external source, they will pay them between $12 - $15/hr. How is that fair? There is no consistancy with pay with this company. It was also embarassing to tell people that I worked for US Bank because so many people out there cannot stand them. There is constant turnover in branches and customers always think that the branch is a "training branch". Their overdraft practices are unfair and force a lot of customers into debt and then the branch employees have to deal with those angry customers on a daily basis, but yet expect to sell them a product.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to CARE about their employees and do more to keep them. Sometimes it's not always about business. I've met Richard Davis on numerous occasions and he seems like a great guy and seems to care about the people that are working there. I'm not sure where that is getting lost, because when it rolls down to the District Managers, they do not have the same mentality as the CEO. I think that Richard Davis needs to do more to investigate why there is such large employee turn over in certain districts.

US Bank gives you a wonderful opportunity to work very hard for very little compensation

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

A solid balance sheet during the bad times assures a level of job security. A reasonable place to learn the conservative way of doing things, and to learn patience and perseverance in the face of a manic depressive credit culture.

Cons

Job security definitely comes at a cost. They don't pay in the good times... how can we expect to be paid in the bad times? Promotions are capricious and based on politics and personal relationships. Despite the consant barage of PR from senior management, this place is far from a meritocracy. There is an unbelievably high level of turnover of junior and midlevel staff.

Advice to Management

Learn how to pay the top earners. Don't pay the dead wood (oops... ignore that... you already don't pay anyone!) Your philosophy is transparent --- know that we know you don't think we can go anywhere else...it's not true for top performers, does very little to inspire loyalty, and will leave you with a whole bunch of mediocrity.

8. If you work for a good company and are acquired, by US Bank, RUN!

Current Employee - Account Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Vacation buy program is a nice way to achieve work/life balance.

Cons

Highly inefficient company. They are in constant turmoil. They acquire companies and run each the same way, into the ground.

Advice to Management

Start with treating customers well. Then, try treating your employees with respect.

Horrible Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Boise, ID

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Benefits in this country you are obligated to work for a company you dispise to obtain needed health insurance.

Cons

Corporate culture overly consumed with sales pushing clients into products they did not need or understood. Competition between sales associates as we were not bankers we were product pushers everyone for themselves as bonus compensation determined by how many "points" had been earned at the expense of customer service. Stretch goals unrealistic fostered product slamming and deceitful practices.

Advice to Management

Compensation structure not conclusive to mainataining high levels of customer service. Team members obtain increased levels of compensation at the expense of the client.

Not really listening to those that work for him. He's not really close to those that are working the trenches.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Currently one of the stable financial institutions around. The people that work with you can be some of the most gratifying parts of the job. Some projects really are thought about and are looking at making the organization stronger for the future.

Cons

No respect, lack of advancement, favoritism, compensation and benefits. Management voluntarily took time and pay cuts. What wasn't told was they took pay cuts AFTER they got their raises. Not fair to the employees who make 20-30K and were forced to take unpaid time off. Some employees do the bare minimum yet are compensated and recognized, while those that more than exceed expectations are not given anything but more work.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean and really look at the criticisms of the employees.

US Bank tarnished my soul.

Former Employee - In-Store Banker in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - In-Store Banker in Lincoln, NE

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Not allowed to work more than 40 hours a week. Work for a steady bank which acts conservatively with its investments, thus ensuring that you do not get laid off.

Cons

The pay was very low. No respect for college degrees. Retail branches are primarily seen as sales branches, service is a secondary priority. I was hired as a personal banker in an in-store branch. Management actually expected us to walk around the grocery store and ask people to open checking accounts, credit cards, home equity loans, etc while they were picking up their bread and diapers. Constant focus on sales even though the bank's products could not compete on a numbers basis with local competitors across the street. The place had a continual rotating door. Worked their for 1 year and by the time I was done all of my original co-workers had already quit. Came back a few months later and everyone else was also gone.

Advice to Management

Treat employees and customers with respect. Find another way to make money on checking accounts. It isn't just or right to let customers rack up over $1,000 in overdraft fees in one year. Pay more compensation and empower more employees and you will see more people stay with the company.

Showing 2,069 of 2,109 reviews