U.S. Bank

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.2 1,352 reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis

Richard K. Davis

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management)(in 79 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the work environment is geared to work/life balance for the most part(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance(in 34 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place(in 45 reviews)

1,352 Employee Reviews

Good Company

Call Center Banker (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsCare about employees, Growth opportunities

ConsI havent ran into any yet

Great people

Accountant (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

Prosgreat people, opportunities for advancement

Consstagnant work, busy in AM, free time afterwards

It's a battle of good and bad

In-Store Banker (Current Employee)

ProsThe company works hard to see it's employees over-perform, the workers hired in work very hard and are incredible to work with

ConsPoor salary, poor bonuses, more of a sales job than anything, no breaks, poor scheduling.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre experience...was not challenged.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance and some great people.

ConsDisparity of pay. This is probably true of all big banks, but the rich just get richer...its sad.

Good Work Environment

Loan Officer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsWonderful people, management really cares about ideas or complaints and really do try to make a difference. As a part of US BANK Home Mortgage , products offered are wonderful and very competitive .

ConsUnderwriting turn times are too long. Customers and agents get frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Underwriters and better appraisers .

Growth in a career

Universal Banker (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI am a universal banker at US Bank in San Diego CA, with this company its kind of a hit or miss if you want to build a career and grow within the company. In other states and other counties I have herd great stories about the opportunity for growth and how employees have build a wonderful career with the company. San Diego is still kind of a new market for the company so if you are lucky you can end up with the right district manager actually grow quickly.

ConsBecause San Diego is a new market you are not valued the way you should with the company, San Diego is one of the most expensive places to live and they under pay hourly telling you that you can make it up in commission, but the commission structure is like a slap in the face and goes by a point system vs product sold. Also you may be one of the unlucky ones to end up in southern San Diego district where the distric manager really does not know what she is doing and does not value you as a person, she also likes to take credit for any success you do have, for the past two years I have tried to get a promotion and have not had success, I always exceed my goals, i participate and volunteer in district trainings, conversations and have even lead many of them. instead I have seen managers be demoted to bankers (yes, this is real), people that I trained have got positions I have worked hard for (and the district manager's reson is because they stand out more, and no her perfomance is not better than mine, we are always among the top bankers), over all the company is good but the people the bank hires as your leaders makes a difference in your future, this distric manager in particular is already retired from union bank, she is now working again and dont think she will be here long, she cares only about numbers even if its not entirely ethical, I imagine this is because she wants a fat bonus and re-retire with a great pay, every one else ( like me ) doesnt matter to her.

Advice to Senior ManagementBranch managers are doing great, district manager: your methods are old school, i respect that but please let the young teach you how it should be done in the modern world.

Business Development

ProsLots of opportunity for self starters and independent workers. Great visibility and easy access to senior management. Great reputation and excitement for where the company is heading.

Conslimited resources, out dated technology, zero training and lagging in every institutional product category compared to competitiors

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your people and product

Fantastic

Structured Finance Analyst (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat Executive leadership from RD and AC!

ConsLow paying with few alternative career growth opportunities

Great Culture, Good Pay, Middle Management Could be Better

Proposal Writer (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThere is definitely a pride around the bank's ethics, strong standing in the industry, and culture of service and kindness. The pay was also good, and there are opportunities to learn and grow if you're interested in the industry.

ConsSenior Management oversight was lacking in the sense that no feedback was a solicited and incompetent middle management was free to abuse power and create an atmosphere of mistrust and absence of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management, be sure to reach out at least quarterly to the directs reporting to middle management--those of us toughing it out on the ground level nine to ten hours a day need to know that you care if our manager is effective, challenging, and pro-active. When we contact you with feedback. act on it--rather than waiting for several of us to quit due to management inefficacy.

It's a decent place to work.

In-Store Banker (Current Employee) Clarksville, TN

ProsThe starting pay is better than average. Paid vacation and sick leave time is excellent. For the most part, the people that you work with are friendly and the managers are decent. If you are struggling with a customer transaction, you can usually reach out to someone who can help you.

ConsThe way that new bankers are trained has become much more "sink or swim." There is constant pressure for sales, but the incentives are small. The company's reliance on Gallup polls for customer interactions is frustrating, considering that one bad score not only hurts your chances of getting incentive pay, but the chances of your entire branch.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the "thorough training" that the other posters have commented about.

Worked for U.S. Bank? Contribute to the Community!