U.S. Bank Reviews

3.3
U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,348 Ratings

Pros
  • Good flexibility in terms of work-life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Good work environment with modest benefits (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough sometimes (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about the little guy (in 52 reviews)

2,163 Employee Reviews

1. Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Mutual Fund Services in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Mutual Fund Services in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting base salary for a person, such as myself, coming out of college. -good benefits -20+ days of vacation -work schedule somewhat flexible

Cons

You work for a bank, therefore, they don't spend a lot of money on technology, cubes are old, only one desk chair option and it is uncomfortable, we have to pay for parking at the downtown Milwaukee location.

2. Love it here!

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

The senior leadership is open to critical feedback, and I believe we are headed in the right direction, especially compared to other financial institutions.

Cons

At times I wish we were compensated more, but I strongly believe that our company culture far outweighs being slightly underpaid.

Advice to Management

Continue inspiring your employees! While we may not be the most progressive bank, continue to look for opportunities to invest in critical initiatives that will make us stronger in the long run!

3. Teller 1

Former Employee - Teller in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Teller in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at U.S. Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the customer interaction at the branch level.

Cons

Too much selling products that customers didn't need. Mediocre Training. Branch Management not the greatest

5. Structured Financial Analyst investor reporting

Former Employee - Structured Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Structured Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is decent, some long nights can be expected. 401k match is 4% if you take advantage of it. Subsidize part of monthly transportation cost. Low stress environment to gain technical skills. Some continued skill building training but not enough to make a difference.

Cons

With the good comes the bad, in this case lots of it. Your experience in the Chicago location will depend solely on who is your direct manager, some take the time to provide guidance and support, others look at you as a completely replaceable part of the machine. Low morale, low pay compared to industry norms. High turnover rate. Lack of retention of quality employees. Division sets unreasonable goals which impact end of year bonus (not in a good way). Don't expect opportunity for growth within structured finance as it is very top heavy, if management is content, then very little thought is given to analyst level employees. The culture in the Chicago location has been toxic for the last 2 years but is slowly starting to change, Only transferable skills gained are technical, all other aspects of structered finance are niche and do not carry over to broader financial industry. No employee perks (not even coffee). There is no incentive to out perform peers because there is no pay for performance.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pay for performance and adjust salary to market. Retain talent, the reason people leave is because they gain skills and then leave after 2 years to get 25% pay increase elsewhere. Invest in your employees. Conservative or not, the bank is experiencing brain drain by failing to keep high performing employees happy. Stop turnover, it creates a toxic environment and low morale. In my time before I left the bank over 20 people had left in 2 years. Almost 1 per month, that is unacceptable and should be a red flag that change is needed. Give Boston and Irvine more work as Chicago has been the work horse of GSF-IR since 2008

6. The first bank I've ever worked at.

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

Loyalty to employees and customers, great vacation/sick time right out of the gate, opportunity for quick growth and advancement., hours (banker hours!)

Cons

High turnover which leads to poorly trained employees, low salary and incentive pay,

7. Securities Operations Specialist

Pros

Great place to start your career. Friendly atmosphere to work in. Most managers are very laid back and know you have a life outside of work.

Cons

Poor pay compare to other banks. Only way to get promoted is if your in the click with managers. They play favoritism. Mangement makes promises but never intends to keep them.

Advice to Management

Look outside the box. Give the hard workers a chance to be promoted instead of the people you go to happy hour with.

8. it&c

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It depends on which market you are in but the Twin Cities has a fairly decent work life balance. Vacation time is decent. Benefits package is comparable to other banks in the area

Cons

Pay is not even close to their competitors. Management uses the market to explain why raises are not what they should be (cost of living increases do not exist) but then announce top earnings and huge bonuses for the executives.

Advice to Management

Work on helping your employees but catching up with your competitors. Upgrade your technology. Do these things or stop making us take a survey to measure our engagement every year but doing nothing about the pain poins.

9. Executives need to be watched

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and overall a good, solid company (compared to the other major banks).

Cons

Too much faith in executive management. I have seen entire departments let go using shady legal tactics.

Advice to Management

Instead of trusting everything that your SVPs are telling executive staff, get some feedback from the management teams. Too many people are let go for ridiculous reason...GOOD people.

10. Good Company!

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

Very stable company. Puts themselves in good position not to have to do layoffs

Cons

Benefits could be a little better.

11. Lick box clerk

Former Employee - Lockbox Clerk in Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Lockbox Clerk in Gresham, OR

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only worked from 2008 -2009, job was was fun, challenging and I would love to do it again. My immediate supervisor was awesome. Most coworkers were nice.

Cons

Way to strict on attendance policy and mistakes policy. The department manager was openly against women and tended to berate women in front of everyone, while showing men respect and privacy.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage your employees equally. Allow a person to be human, and get sick and make mistakes without fear of immediate termination. Provide proper training of employee and inform them of all policies up front. Be diverse to people with disabilities.

Showing 2,163 of 2,205 reviews