U.S. Bank

1,599 Reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,100 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad InStore Work environment

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Good to get your foot in the door with banking. This is a good environment if your in Senior management or if you're single with no kids.

Cons

The growth opportunities are minimal to non existant if you're looking to grow to anything but a branch manager. Leadership talks a lot about running your position and branch as if it were your own business, but also tell you that it has to be done their way with no exceptions. Regardless of what you've done for the company in the past, it's always 'what are you doing for me now' Work/Life balance is preached by senior leadership ALL of the time, HOWEVER, if you're a salaried BM, you are required to work a MINIMUM 50 hours per week. Your job description says you should spend something like 20% of your time doing teller/banker activities and 80% being a manager, but the staffing model requires you to work more towards 60 hours per week, most of which are doing teller transactions, if you are short even one employee. The company also says they want to develope you and grow your career, but they don't want you to look at anything outside of the branch. You're told by direct Sr. management that they're working with the department you want to go to in order to develope a learning/training plan so they can promote within (which is never done for some reason) then you find out over a year later that the proper people were never even reached out to. The trips are nice if you win, the cash bonus' have gotten worse every year until you work your butt off for a measly $1,000 per quarter (not worth missing time with your family) and despite preaching 'we're changing for our employees' it never, NEVER happens. All of this is in regards to Sr. Management at a district and region level. Richard Davis is a great CEO. Summary: you put years of your career into something that will never pay you back due to the lies and culture you work in.

Do something about staffing in order to give salaried branch managers a work/life balance. The bankers get it and the DM gets it, BM's get screwed. Sr. management blows smoke on everything, nothing is followed through on. They dangle that carrot to keep you in the branch so they're not short on salaried BMs to take advantage of.

Good!

Current Employee - Telker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Telker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Good career opportunity if this is a goal

Cons

Need more people work in branch

Overall good experience.

Current Employee - Head Teller in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Head Teller in Paducah, KY

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job. Good hours. Not stressful.

Cons

Not the greatest pay. Can be boring at times.

Keep the EEOC and a clergyman on speed dial if you are smart.

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor II in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor II in Owensboro, KY

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Several perks offered such as discount offers from different vendors. Big presence in the local community by way of volunteerism.

Cons

Where do I begin? Pay is laughable! For example, you can be there five years and making $13/hr, they hire someone new and bring them in at $16/hr. You are now training someone who is making substantially more than you. Many times this issue has been brought to management and HR. Not a thing has been done about it. This type of thing causes morale issues in the workplace.

Do not complain to HR about anything that has to do with your management team. If you go to HR and "blow the whistle" on Monday, your manager knows about it on Tuesday.

The company claims to encourage growth and development opportunities are available for all but favoritism runs rampant therefore making opportunities for many well-deserving employees with excellent skills little to none.

Management has no backbone! They let troublemakers rule the department. Gossipers, backstabbers, negative Nellies, and slackers just have a field day while the hard workers who come in and try to avoid such abhorrent behavior are made miserable by these people. Yet, management offers no disciplinary action against this less than savory group of workers. The training is lackluster. Tasks are just thrown at you and you are left to figure it out on your own. Work is not more evenly distributed. The hard workers become fed up and leave. Then management claims it has no clue why the turnover rate is so high.

Department managers have too much discretion when it comes to company policy and what parts of policy can be bended or broken. This allows for unfair decisions to be made, which under the right light and before the right eyes, can be seen as somewhat discriminatory.

LISTEN, ASK QUESTIONS, AND LISTEN AGAIN! You would not be where you are if it was not for the people below you working their tails off everyday to keep this company going. If we express to you that there is a weak link in the chain, you are or should feel obligated to investigate that. If there is a process that needs to be changed per your subordinate's suggestion, look into it! Be fair! Be honest! Be leaders that we would be proud to emulate, not leaders who we want to be the opposite of. Lead by example and never ask your employees to do anything you would not do yourself.

U.S. Bank Response

Dec 15, 2014

We would appreciate the chance to speak with you confidentially about your concerns. Please email us at hr.employee.relations@usbank.com.

Not the best management and higher up corporate don't value employees.

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Great employees to work with

Cons

Terrible management, no room for growth, don't have great salaries and incentive isn't great.

Learn to manage your employees and be more transparent. Also don't promote growth and development and never follow through.

Good people, good workplace environment

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Support from upper management, work life balance

Cons

Compensation is not to market for RMs

Rewarding the hard worker

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that nor only values it's customers, but also it's employees. US Bank offers many options to grow.

Cons

Since it is retail you can't always get requested days off

Tough to get in- togh to meet expectTions- but once you do, you got a lifetime experience

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Experience of lifetime. Hands on learning- goid pay

Cons

They rather pay outsiders more than promote from inside- tunnel vision leadership in chicago

Stop moving your favorites up the ladder and start keeping your ace players happy- promote from inside, dont let talent walkaway for personal differences.

Horrible Experience

Current Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Better work life balance as the banking center hours were not as long as the previous bank I worked for

Cons

The training was HORRIBLE their was only 1 trainer out of the 4 that truly new what she was doing. you would ask questions and they would not have an answer nor offer to investigate to get one and get back with you. Benefits were HORRIBLE it was the worst healthcare plan I have ever had in my professional life. The management and technology were extremely poor. I had a manager with a very tenured staff, placed me at one of the largest locations and never spent more than 3 days with me to train me the entire year I was there and any action plans were overwhelming as they were like 13 pages long. They want you to compete with other national banks but do not give you the training or tools technology wise to proceed. Coming from a place that was a leader in technology it was extremely hard to get acclimated especially with the exceptionally poor manager I had.

Stop Throwing money at your staff during all employee meetings and going overboard feeding your employees during meeting and be more responsible with the profits of the company by reinvesting into technology to actually give your employees the tools to succeed.

Worked for 4 yrs

Former Employee - In-Store Senior Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - In-Store Senior Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Great products to offer the customers. Bank is very competitive. great management and outstanding recognition to employees. Star of excellence and annual star of excellence was oke of the highlighted events in my life.

Cons

Worst pay in the banking industry. Very slow dimes and nickles pay increase. bad hours in instore branches

To keep hard working bankers and managers i think the management really should increase the pay.

U.S. Bank Photos