U.S. Bank Reviews

1,778 Reviews
U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,176 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

1. personal banker

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

3 weeks vacation, and not much else

Cons

micromangement, career paths very unapparent very disorganized lots of coolaid drinking

2. Great work atmosphere among co-workers. High pressure sales job.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Aurora, CO

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The corporation as a whole takes the time to train you in sales techniques and how to grow your customer base. They provide decent tools at your disposal for you to learn the ropes.

Cons

In my personal experience and opinion, you are at a huge disadvantage if you work at a branch located in a low income area when you're sales are compared to branches in higher income areas. The branch managers do provide some leeway as they are aware of the neighborhood but higher level managers do not seem to care. This makes it difficult to move up if your sales are not up to par with those higher income areas where it is much easier for one to sell credit products.

3. Good.

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Management is Nice.

Cons

Not enough Employees lots of Temps - High Turn over

Hire your Temps after initial 6 month contract.

5. Great experience

Former Employee - Vice President in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Vice President in Cleveland, OH

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ownership of career goals. Enthusiasm and creativity encouraged. High satisfaction serving and meeting the needs of the customer, community and stockholder.

Cons

Need to know how to navigate the matrix style organizational structure.

Better support for the regional lines of business managers from non sales support divisions

6. Nothing too bad to say

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Good work environment, fun people, great attitudes

Cons

growth highly limited, some favortism

check the politics art the door

7. Up and Down

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Company President committed to employees, met awesome people, worked with some great managers. Huge on giving back to the community.

Cons

Management styles can make or break the department. Which is too bad, because the bank has a lot to offer.

Provide meaningful training that can actually be used day to day...... especially if your going to micro manage your staff.

Great place to work, but the pay is aweful!

Current Employee - Teller I in Madisonville, KY
    Current Employee - Teller I in Madisonville, KY

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees were great to work with, and management was mindful of growth and answering any questions or fixing any problems that may arise.

Cons

The pay is horrible, did I say that already.......they don't pay enough!

Pay more to the people who run your banks, and do ALOT of the legwork!

A great start to a career in finance

Current Employee - In Store Personal Banker II
    Current Employee - In Store Personal Banker II

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Culture: The culture is generally phenomenal. My peers are, in large part, a group of people who are just as competitive as they are kind. Great care seems to have gone into those who are selected for employment with U.S. Bank, which I appreciate.

- Motivation: I have been earnestly motivated by U.S. Bank. I love being able to see where I stand in comparison to my fellow peers. It allows me to see what my efforts have earned me concerning accumulated points, and pushes me to greater personal achievement.

- Initial Training: The training I received in the beginning of my employment was meaningful and lasting. Having come in with no prior banking experience, I felt competent at a very complex job by my third month.

Cons

- Coaching: Coaching is encouraged but not always meaningful. Insight is difficult to impart, so those who are entrusted with this task should employ two important qualities. They should have led by example in order to earn their position (which U.S. Bank generally ensures from upper management), and should also be good teachers who are able to impart their successes onto others.

- Unstructured Promotions: It has been suggested by many of my peers that promotions don't always make sense. Some are well deserved, and take a long time to go through, others are less than deserved and go through fairly quickly.

- Behind the times: U.S. Bank has a lot of things going right, but there are some problems which can make day to day tasks more difficult.

- Awards: Given slowly or not at all. Recognition is sometimes difficult to come by. Morale is sometimes low because of this.

- Conservative: U.S. Bank has a great reputation for giving away very few loans or other credit products. Generally this method works very well, but sometimes it's too stringent. At times, customers walk away from great products mid process. Other times, turn down reasons don't always make sense.

10. US Bank Review

Former Employee - Small Business Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Small Business Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Less pressure on sales than Wells Fargo or Bank of America

Cons

Outdated computer systems, poor lead lists

If you always wanted to be a robot...in a sweat shop..

Former Employee - Vice President in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Vice President in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

National bank, wide product range, very financially stable.

Cons

Upper mngt does not trust those beneath them even if they are competent and experienced. All decisions are top down. It is as if they want to train people not to think.

The excellent credit porolio is great but it could be achieved by the many intelligent, capable lenders without absolutely every little thing having to be decided or approved by those way removed. Evaluate the groups on the credit quality and profitability rather than strangling talented people by over control of minute decisions. Expectations about people influence the performance. Treat them like you know they are good at their jobs and as if you trust them to do a good job. Having to get approval for every nickel change or inconsequential covenant change I'd not necessary. If they do not perform, then fire them. But do not assume, or treat corporate lenders as if they are unintelligent and incapable and then expect them to represent themselves and USB to corporate customers in the best way. With a lending relationship that is somewhat involved, the customer is bound to become aware that upper mngt does not relinquish any control, i.e. they don't trust or value the relationship manager. As a customer, that would be very unattractive to me. A lot of talent is wasted because of excessive control and distrust from the top down.

U.S. Bank Photos