U.S. Bank Reviews

3.3
1,407 Reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 80 reviews)

• There are lots of opportunities for advancement and lateral career changes (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good company for young professionals.

Current Employee - Credit Review Specialist  in  Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Credit Review Specialist in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work with. Easy to get a job if you are in need.

Cons

Keep in mind I work for the Mortgage division, but I feel that this is a bad job for a young professional. You get paid very little, which makes it hard to pay student debt; opportunities to continue school is very limited, because they don't offer that much to you and you have to work over 30 hours; and advancement is slooow, you have to be in a position for a year before you can even apply and that is if your manager lets you. The whole company is so conservative and held down by bureaucracy that there is little leg room to jump in and try to make a difference.

No career path

Former Employee - Securities Operations Specialist  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Securities Operations Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance was excellent, somewhat flexible hours

Cons

Leadership is shaky, career coaching and progression is non-existent, management is weak

Focus on upgrading facilities
    Have real career planning and assistance

Teller

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Flexible schedule, great hours, customer service

Cons

Sales, management doesn't listen, poorly managed

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Minimum Wage, maximum effort?

Former Employee - Account Processor  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Processor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at U.S. Bank as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed dress code. Get experience in financial industry. Some nice coworkers. Will motivate you to find a better job. I made a goal--survive here for 6 months to get experience for another financial position. I lasted 9 months because they promised promotions/raises, which were never delivered so I left.

Cons

No matter how good you are at your job, if you make the wrong person mad, just leave. Don't call HR because it is NEVER anonymous. No room to grow. Expect you to be a "team player" and contribute more than you are paid for, because it "shouldn't be all about the paycheck."

More hands on training from managers because trainers aren't knowledgeable. Instead of promising promotions to make people do more than their job description, maybe just pay them what they deserve. Don't freeze people out for pointing out managements' mistakes, either. That's why this company doesn't improve--because they get rid of everybody that knows how to improve it, one way or the other.

Good starting point

Current Employee - In Store Banker I
    Current Employee - In Store Banker I

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training for someone without banking experience
    Decent benefits

Cons

Low pay
    Little room to move up

Listen to your employees and pay in store bankers as much or than traditional bankers we do more tasks.

Good pay, easy work, very repetitive.

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is great compared to other call centers in the area.

Cons

You take roughly 100-160 calls a day and if your not closer to the 160 management tells you to spend less time after your calls and to cold transfer to nearly all other departments. You don't have time to take a drink because you have to hit your calls goal.

Hire more people and stop making your current team suffer and be miserable.

Lots of work, little reward

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

They will literally hire anyone.Only get fired if you break a banking rule.

Cons

everything that wasnt listed as a pro.

give people the money they deserve, treat employees with respect and remove the stupid pie chart for our benefits that have a section for work/life balance. At in stores there is none. Salaries are too low to keep steady employees. What winds up happening is that the employees find their co-workers quitting which makes vacation time hard to take and then they get over worked because we are open 7 days a week. The managers have to work as bankers, work 44 plus hours a week with the bankers following suit. We cannot do marketing correctly because we work oc, which means lower sales, which we are thus punished for. if you work in a smaller community, have fun, because your sales quotas are the same as if you were in new york. Sundays do nothing to enhance shareholder value, and very little is accomplished. Most people feel sorry for us, those who dont are called sr. management and they are making money off of our work. KDS is a joke, the customers dont understand how the system is supposed to work. They try to give us lower scores to make the 5's stand out. instead what happens is that we fail because of one below 5 and this changes our opportunity for bonus. Make changes.

Inexcusable HR practices

Former Employee - Teller  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Teller in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great incentives when sales goals are met. Great room for advancement IF management likes you.

Cons

If management does not like you they will find a way to get rid of you regardless of your meeting sales goals. Sales goals play too large a part of employee performance.

Don't intimidate employees with your knowledge of people calling the ethics line to voice concerns. It makes employees scared to call because they do not want to lose their jobs.

Customer service manager

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable bank with opportunities here in the home base market to grow with and find a fit for your style or beliefs

Cons

This used to be the top bank for caring about customers and building relationships. Now, only number of sales matter. Customer surveys only categorized with perfect or fail. Otherwise you are moved out of role.

Told by district manager that the only way to be successful in this company is to sell at least one product during every customer interaction whether or not the customer needs it. That is not the way to do business.

Poor Morale

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR  in  Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very organized, great coworkers and great supervisors.

Cons

Company sets conflicting goals which make it difficult (or nearly impossible) to reach all goals assigned. Work environment is more focused on call times than customer service quality. They will fire if call times are not good enough! Have been cheated out of raises due to timing "loopholes" more than once in the several years I have worked there. Probably the worst morale in a work place I have ever seen. Not particularly flexible with scheduling.

Worked for U.S. Bank? Contribute to the Community!