U.S. Bank

1,605 Reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,102 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Manage up or stagnate

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has longevity for many employees who stay there for years. It is financially very well managed. It was the only large bank that made profits throughout the recent downturn. As a bank it plays safe, but continues to return sound if not spectacular results

Cons

Beyond a certain level up, your progress is tied to managing up only. Some managers simply do not care about their subordinates if it suits them, they will ignore and let some languish.

Pay attention to how your senior level executives treat their subordinates. Perhaps you know it and think it works well for the company. The practice of "managing up" is rife in some departments. If you want talent to contribute at a higher level, manage the politics so that it truly serves the company and all of the people who are willing to do a great job. (2) Separately, your customer service as a bank is slipping very much. Many customer service people do not do a great job, the culture is simply not there to make sure that they (a) know what they are doing, (b) solve problems for their customers (3) make it easy to do business with the bank. Sometimes the decline is so slow that you may not notice until it becomes a strategic concern and huge problem.

Overall good experience.

Current Employee - Head Teller in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Head Teller in Paducah, KY

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job. Good hours. Not stressful.

Cons

Not the greatest pay. Can be boring at times.

Shareholder Value

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Appears to be good at cost cutting and running efficiently

Cons

Efficient does not always mean effective

Update and then maintain facilities. Conditions of branches has a lot to be desired.

a regional bank.

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

nice people, less stressful comparing to other big banks

Cons

people are underpaid in general

Treasury management

Former Employee - Treasury Management Sales Officer
    Former Employee - Treasury Management Sales Officer

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Middle market focus and skill set

Cons

Using a middle market strategy and culture to compete with large banks

Refocus

Extremely conservative

Current Employee - Vice President in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with a great team of very intelligent bankers, trust officers and portfolio managers.

Cons

In the region where I work the regional manager is not the appropriate person with zero management experience. Too much focus on sales and not enough development for associates and officers.

A roller coaster

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Good amount of vacation and benefits with plenty of room to grow

Cons

sometimes its smooth and fun, others its stressful as your always in a campaign to sell products. Hard to use all your vacation as my district doesnt allow any to be used in december and you can only be off when someone else is not. Incentives are unrealistic and payouts should be increased

Incentives should be employee based instead of team based. Its takes the drive out of productive employees when the branch isnt doing well but they are trying there hardest.

Cheap company especially in IT

Former Employee - Information Services
    Former Employee - Information Services

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were nice mostly
    Ability to work from home
    Manager liked the work life balance

Cons

Outdated technology
    Waiting forever for Access
    Not Provided with the necessary tools to do your job
    Had to find extra items like desk chairs in another cue
    Manager played favorites and didn't listen when real issues arose with one of her favorites

Recognize talent and pay accordingly

Started as a teller, training as a universal banker.

Current Employee - Universal Banker
    Current Employee - Universal Banker

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are good, pretty much 9 to 5. My branch in particular has two very good managers that have managed numerous bankers that have been promoted to managers at other branches. Paid holidays and vacation.

Cons

Technology is very old. Hogan looks like MS DOS.

Key Driver Scores are the biggest joke ever. The employee must get 100% in each category in order to get a star. If you get 100% in 6 categories and 80% in the 7th category, no star. You get the same score as if you got a 0 in each category. KDS factors into your bonuses which is ridiculous in my opinion.

There is always a contest going. Sometimes they even overlap, it really is too much.

The biggest con doesn't have to do with US Bank at all. It has to do with the stubborn and temperamental customers (and many times non-customers) that you will deal with. This is something that all banks must deal with, but I still never get used to it. I've heard every obscenity imaginable yelled to myself and my co-workers during my almost 2 year stint at the bank. If you're looking to get into banking at the branch level, you definitely need to have thick skin.

Positive overall, especially when considered as a place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Credit Analyst III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My managers and coworkers have been incredibly competent and supportive. Also, the company implemented an excellent in-house cash flow and credit training program that has enhanced my skills dramatically. The work is interesting and demanding, making it an ideal place to gain experience as a credit underwriter.

Cons

Pay is on the low end of the scale, and pay increases are incremental at best - they do not keep up with inflation. Prospects for advancement in my department are very limited. Health insurance is ok but not great.

Examine compensation standards - the bank generally experiences high turnover, because it cannot match offers from other employers. By not increasing pay, the bank sends the message that it does not care enough to adjust salaries upward in order to retain qualified employees.

U.S. Bank Photos