U.S. Bank

1,572 Reviews

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis
1,088 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great CEO.... like any bank, has it's issues

Current Employee - Private Banking Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Private Banking Relationship Manager

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Richard Davis is a great CEO. Great Co workers, employee opinions are valued. Employees generally like to work here.

Cons

Technology is about 15 yrs behind other banks. Branches need remodeling. Conservative decision making. Lotus Notes

Internal communication falls short, especially when rolling out initiatives.

Mirage in Monetary and Professional Growth

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good flexibility in terms of work-life balance. Very reputable company in the Banking World to work for. Culture is wonderful and easy going. Layoffs are rare, if at all.

Cons

Leadership is decent, but the conservative nature of your business strategy and pay compensation does not allow for top employees to be promoted at the rate or amount they are worth. Real life example, I was offered for a promotion that was 2 pay grades in jump and HR made it a huge deal that the increase in pay exceeded (barely) by 10%. Ultimately turned it down as the extra commute and cost factors did not warrant the pay increase. In addition, waiting to add enough "years" to ones belt regardless of other compensating factors (ie high performance level, above and beyond work ethic, high education, etc) is not a vital long term strategy for internal promotions. In addition, pay increase are merely "cost or living" adjustments and are considered mirages in monetary growth.

While the work-life balance is wonderful, employees have realized that X amount of additional work has little correlation to future growth or increase in compensation. Such conservative pay practices warrant easy "skating" rather than working hard for success and growth. Recognize and reward dedicated top talent.

Old bank company trying to play in a bigger pond

Current Employee - Teller I in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Teller I in Torrance, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most branches close at 1pm on Saturday and are closed on Sunday unless you work at a grocery store branch, lame...and don't!
    Pay is OK and potential for credit card sales referral bonuses are nice if you branch has traffic and customers with decent credit to get approved. Otherwise, most will get declined and won't want to do Secured CC.
    My branch manager was really cool. Let us work and do our thing without ever interjecting unless necessary.
    Value volunteering and get paid for it too!

Cons

US Bank talks about growth but it isn't really available because of favoritism and lack of opportunities. Due to the size of the bank and how US Bank grows which is to acquire other banks then change them into US Bank branches, you don't get new positions opening until someone is fired, quits or is promoted (which doesn't happen often). When a spot opens, the upper management usually already have their pick for the job.

When I was a teller with a BA and certificate in Business/Accounting, they made a big stink about a TC (Teller Manager) opening and that I had to interview several times for a job I was already doing for several months because our TC was promoted so there wasn't anyone doing her job except ME! On top of doing her job, I was the sole vault (primary and backup) plus I was the ATM custodian while training new Tellers.

To make matters worse, they were paying the new Tellers what I was getting paid even though I got a "raise" and had all this responsibility.

Also, they take their surveys too seriously. They want 5 out of 5 stars but I would get a 4 out of 5 on the hardest category which was a subjective category named something like "was I made to feel special". If you got a 4, then the whole survey was a fail. I used to have 100 percent on all other categories and was told that my special score was "low" because I was too efficient. What? Yup, I was told my management to slow down because I was too good at processing transactions and need to talk and joke with customers more.

The Bankers work WAYYYY too hard because each branch only has one or two of them so they are always busy with their business so when you refer a potential customer to them, the customer has to wait sometimes up to 30 minutes. Who wants to wait 30 minutes to open an account?

Plus US Bank technology is OLD. Their ATMs were recently upgraded to accept checks, their teller windows don't have card readers to open customer profiles...we have to manually type in their information to search for it.

Also, branches are OLD OLD OLD. Go into any branch and they suck. US Bank has NO unifying identity like Chase does. Go into a newer Chase branch and they all look nice, high tech and professional.

Seriously, work for Chase, Wells or BofA if you want to make money by working hard.

Stop promoting your buddies and promote people with drive, skills and proven track records. Stop being so cheap with the wages because you will just lose your talent to a better paying company.

Also, get more tech savy and stop charging your customers to use check deposit from a smart phone. Yeah, it cost money to deposit a check from your phone.

Great bank for the customer...But

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Benefits are good, thats it!!

Cons

Extremely low pay, goals are unrealistic. Upper management will string you along with pathetic promises and raises that will make you wanna throw up! They expect to much and pay to little!!

Stop paying your employees a low to insulting hourly/salary pay, be more ethical not political, keep your employees happy and you will have a successful bank!!!

Mixed but great learning experience

Former Employee - Underwriting Administrative Assistant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Underwriting Administrative Assistant in Englewood, CO

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, well known, flexible hours, wellness promotion, office culture, team atmosphere. I liked the people I worked with. Everyone tried to cooperate with one another and work together.

Cons

Turnover, office politics. I wanted to move up into a different position, but was unable to get the training to do so. I also had so much to do that there was no time to complete any training even if it had been offered.

Don't expect admin. assistants to make decisions that the manager/asst. manager/underwriters should make. Offer more opportunities for advancement and training to move into those positions. Instead of criticism, offer solutions to help us do our job better.

Stable, conservative company

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical culture with lots of great people. Conservative old school bank culture. Base salary good once you get to a certain level. Lots of job openings, but cumbersome approval process.

Cons

Cost of health benefits is high without many options. Profits do not filter down to the employees as raises and increases. Lengthy approval process for resources.

Improve benefits offering and cost.

In-store banker

Former Employee - In-Store Banker in Granite Bay, CA
    Former Employee - In-Store Banker in Granite Bay, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with good people.
    Benefits are good. they do keep work life balance for bankers.

Cons

Pay is below avg.
    The Commission structure is horrible.
    they expect you to hit goals with little to no help from the system. your not allowed to go out of your area, or try to bring people from other locations.
    turnover is very high.
    its like 2007 wells fargo.

give your bankers the compensation they deserve, also when its time for bonuses don't keep them for yourselves. and quite taking so long to promote people if your going to say to your banker that they will get a promotion if they exceed there goals for 2+ qtrs. follow through with it.

The company is doing more with less. More hours, more sales, less people, less resources.

Current Employee - In-Store Banker in Upland, CA
    Current Employee - In-Store Banker in Upland, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people work here. There are many different personalities and a many options for growth.

Cons

There is a lack of consideration for the employees from the district managers and above. There needs to be more open discussion about working conditions and work-life balance.

Give your hard working employees the reassurance, and respect they deserve. Don't try to achieve higher results without proper personnel placement and training. Do not put the carriage before the horse, so to speak.

To much Politics in the lower levels of management.

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work load can be very busy which is a good thing if you don't like getting bored. Highest level management is founded on good principles.

Cons

Politics are played to the hilt in some departments. First level managers/leads do only what's needed to get by and are very unhelpful. Stresses everything but the real work that needs completed.

Dig deeper into the first level management of people who do the work. Find the ones that help and enforce fair practice and promote. Educate the others.

Nothing flashy or terribly exciting, but a solid company nonetheless with good character.

Current Employee - Technology Operations and Services in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Technology Operations and Services in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-laid back
    -low pressure
    -friendly atmosphere
    -established brand (low risk of company going down any time soon)
    -good benefits
    - good work/life balance

Cons

-dealing with a large corporate work environment
    -slow moving
    -risk averse
    -lack of challenging/exciting work

Take your interns seriously. They can do a lot more for you if you give them significant projects and real challenges.

U.S. Bank Photos