U.S. Bank Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

2,062 Employee Reviews

USB Review

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The small percent of quality people I've worked with have framed a strong bond.

Cons

Non-competitive Wages, promotion through favoritism, they hire upper management without proper experience. I have often had to show my superiors how to do their job. Uppers take credit but pass blame. Poor benefits and bonuses. Misleading lifestyle when you begin - they make it to be employee oriented but it is not. Very disorganized, and little to no training. Lack of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the people, stop placing inadequate people in important positions which negatively affects the hard working ground level - promote internally with people that actually know the processes.

Great company unless you are disabled

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great people to work with. I enjoyed what I did.

Cons

If you are disabled (as I am), expect to experience discrimination. I experienced it as did some of my peers who have disabilities (hearing impairments). In my own case, there were three of us who did the exact identical jobs. Of the three, I held the most experience and had the higher reviews. In fact, I served as a mentor for the other two in various projects. The two peers over time received promotions while I did not. I explained my case, HR said it was up the management team, end of story. It was clear to me that my disability was an obstacle in my ability to have equal opportunities as my peers did. US Bank has shown numerous examples of such practices towards other individuals with disabilities, even at their headquarters in Minneapolis. The worse part is HR is of little value. They always hide behind the veil by forcing the issue on department managers who know very little about the American's with Disabilities Act. While I have since left the bank due to these issues, I remain in touch with some of my peers. As recently as two months ago, the discrimination continues to be an issue against disabled employees. It surprises me US Bank has yet to address these problems.

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating based on disabilities. It's a clear violation of the ADA.

3. Good environment to work in. Sales pushy

I worked at U.S. Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the atmosphere us bank created. I felt like they cared about their employees. I worked at an in store branch

Cons

Very sales oriented. It is not a place to work if you hate to push products on customers. Aisle time was not fun.

Advice to Management

Continue to make employees feel valuable. I don't feel like aisle time is very effective.

5. Branch Co-manager

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

Ability to assert plans or creative ideas within your own workspace. You're not just a number because you feel like you matter. It is an extremely ethical company and prides itself on doing the right thing for our customers.

Cons

The hours are long and they are open 7 days a week. The pay is not as competitive as with other banks and it causes people who seek a work life balance another reason to leave the company. One person does it all and there isn't enough support because overheard costs are kept low by keeping a low amount of employees per branch.

Advice to Management

Either increase incentive, base salary, or hours because employees would be more satisfied to work the long hours with more pay.

6. U.S. Bank as a whole cares about their enployees, but U.S. Bank Home Mortgage does not.

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The bank as a whole truly cares for their employees. Growth within the bank is encouraged and made possible. Most employees have been with the bank 20, 30, 40+ years. Richard Davis, our CEO, is a visionary. He is honest and has a heart for all his employees, down to the very bottom.

Cons

However, the upper management at Home Mortgage presents a much different story. They don't care about you. At all. They only see $$$. Operations is a DISASTER. Ratings below are based on the bank as a whole, not this division.

Advice to Management

To Upper a Management at Home Mortgage: until you start sincerely caring about people, you will not retain your employees (not that you want to...to you I know we are all disposable and replaceable).

7. Great environment makes up for average pay

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly ethical corporation (especially when measured against its peers) that cares about it's employees and the communities it serves. Great work environment and retirement benefits.

Cons

Slightly below average compensation and healthcare options.

8. Teller/Banker

Former Employee - Retired From US Bank in Ross, OH
    Former Employee - Retired From US Bank in Ross, OH

I worked at U.S. Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

You are eligible to participate in a 401K plan, after one year of employment. They match your 401K contribution up to a point. They have a pension plan. US Bank is a strong and healthy company. Job security. I had great co-workers.

Cons

The insurance is not good. The premiums are high, there is a very high deductible before you get anything. After you meet your deductible, it does not get much better. Management is constantly pressing employees to sell, sell, sell.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more.

9. Mortgage Loan, Customer Service, Accounting,

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Cleveland, OH

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

very ambitious, motivated, caring, cheeful, accountable and credible

Cons

try and please everybody and I found out I can't

Advice to Management

treat all employees the same

10. The COMPANY is great.

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A strong, ethical company with good direction in changing economic times. Non-discriminatory policies.

Cons

Middle managers, inconsistency from region to region.

Advice to Management

Good work overall, just wish you could prevent the power trips in middle management, and enforce the non-discrimination policies at that level.

11. safe place to work

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wide set of job responsibilities, job safety, performance is mostly rewarded over politics, gives visibility to senior management quickly

Cons

Loyalty is key, needs to improve diversity in senior management, pay is at lower end of industry

Advice to Management

Improve diversity in senior management....get ppl from different backgrounds and opinions. Inprove pay and technology

Showing 2,062 of 2,103 reviews