U.S. Bank Reviews

1,176 Ratings

1. Good place to work.

Current Contractor - Information Security Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Current Contractor - Information Security Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Their IT processes are managed in a very formal way with project managers and business analysts making sure that requirements and schedules are met. I have worked other places that had very informal environments and I found that the formality can be very useful. The project I was on was very well managed.

Cons

I worked their as a contractor and they do not like to keep contractors long term.

2. Nothing flashy or terribly exciting, but a solid company nonetheless with good character.

Current Intern - Technology Operations and Services in Richfield, MN
    Current Intern - Technology Operations and Services in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-laid back
    -low pressure
    -friendly atmosphere
    -established brand (low risk of company going down any time soon)
    -good benefits
    - good work/life balance

Cons

-dealing with a large corporate work environment
    -slow moving
    -risk averse
    -lack of challenging/exciting work

Take your interns seriously. They can do a lot more for you if you give them significant projects and real challenges.

Bullying, retaliation, totally opposite to the concept of "Voted best place to work". Model of worst place to work!!!!!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leaving at the end of the day. Makes you appreciate that any other previous employer is better. If you enjoy the feelings of doubt in your own abilities, depression, dread of coming into work etc.. then US Bank Richfield is the place for you.

Cons

I have experienced bullying, retaliation, full range of abuse. Personnel will lie to protect their senior mangers bad management of staff. As an IT person with many years experience this is the worst place I have ever worked.

Stop retaliation in the work place. Protect staff from retaliation, abuse by managers. Personnel should protect employees from bad management practices rather than protecting their own job.

Worked as contractor. Not convinced some management should be managers.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richfield, MN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richfield, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Location and branches.

Cons

Contractors are not treated the same as full time employees.

Not over working people, letting them work from home during storms, not working at nights or weekends unless absolutely necessary.

6. Good company to work for, but still have a long way to go.

Current Employee - Mainframe Developer in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Mainframe Developer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on what location you're in, there are many opportunities for advancement. The bank has a mainframe developer training program to replace retiring mainframe developers which is phenomenal. Teamwork and collaboration are encouraged. Management places a huge emphasis on ethics. The CEO Richard Davis appears to genuinely care about his employees.

Cons

Some corporate locations aren't in public-transit-friendly areas. There tends to be lots of bureaucracy in both of processes and top-heavy management structure, especially in technology - all in the name of buzz words of "strategic alignment" and "best practices". I agree with the bank's "pay for performance" stance, but increases generally don't keep up with inflation. Although I realize this is a bank, many professional divisions are Monday-Friday day shift only which for me does not allow for an optimal work-life balance.

In the technology area, management recently instituted 5% pay cuts across the board because they were "not meeting revenue goals"; which, in my mind, is a poor excuse to cut pay. Although I have been with the bank almost 13 years, I have started looking for another position outside of the bank solely based on that.

Continue working on pay. Cut down on the levels of management. Think of other ways to allow the professional-level employees to achieve a better work-life balance, such as allowing employees to work evenings/nights/weekends.

Great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Mortgage Closer in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Mortgage Closer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job opportunities are endless. There are many areas within the company to grow. They will pay for a large portion of your schooling if you're interested in continuing education.

Cons

Lower pay than other companies typically, but good benefits. Some branches are slow to move up.

Good Company to work at

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Life and work balance is great. The fun part is that you get to learn a lot of new technologies. You feel that the CEO is very close to the employees.

Cons

US Bank compensation tends to be on the lower end of the pay scale compared to the market and depending on the team you end up in, it is very hard to get promoted; which sucks.

9. Distinctive Leadership that Values the Employee & Business

Current Employee - Technology Architect in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Technology Architect in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a company that promotes career growth and advancement opportunities, look no further. The positive financial health is a direct result of the solid leadership in place. The culture is comprised with employees that are proud of what they do everyday and also of the company that gives back to the community!

Cons

Reading the previous comments makes me sad. Honestly: do your job, strive to be the best employee you can be, create the work life balance you need, constantly challenge yourself. I am sorry that other viewers need to see the terrible comments of disgruntled employees.

Keep up the great work!

10. A life-changing adventure

Former Employee - Database Marketing Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Database Marketing Analyst in Richfield, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When you do great and earn a bonus

Cons

Can't think of any at this time

Keep putting customers first.

Twelve years and hopefully many more.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employment is stable, you can learn a lot on the job, people from other areas are usually very willing to help, and management sets a good example with ethical behavior.

Cons

With the increased scrutiny of big banks, documentation of activities is critical. Unfortunately, it seems to have gone overboard. Also, I started in the business side of the bank and eventually transferred to the technology side. I have noticed that many of the technology staff do not know the business side which has been a pain point for the customer-facing business areas seeking new technology solutions.

Although I understand and agree with "pay for performance", you could do a better job of loosening the purse strings when it comes to bonuses and pay increases. As for benefits, it would be wise to increase the amount of vacation time you grant employees each year. Also, look at ways to document activities efficiently, rather than "documentation for the sake of documentation".

U.S. Bank Photos