U.S. Bank

Updated December 29, 2014
3.4

U.S. Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Richard K. Davis
Richard K. Davis

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, most people friendly (not true in upper management) (in 99 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to open communication and does not feel micro-managed (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The areas that I have been in have not offered a good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management waits to deliver bad news until moment changes take place (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Its been a very positive experience

Current Employee - Commercial Credit Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Credit Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The bank is very strong and financial sound.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive compared to the industry

Free up direct management's ability to compensate their employees according to current market values, rather than as a percentage of their starting salary, in order to retain employees.

Complete lack of leadership from Management.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

Bank offers banefits. Many branches so there are constantly open positions available.

Cons

Salary is very low compared to the standard. Not competative to most banks. Employees are very disposable & unappreciated. Extremely high turn-around. Management is constantly hired from the outside vs. Internal promotions with little to no previous Management experience. Management completely lacks leadership skills & do nothing but deligate. They are not hands-on, very disconnected, uninvolved & some are down-right lazy. Operational skills go practically unnoticed while sales-machines who use unethical means are praised & rewarded.

Lead by example & manage your staff. Appreciate everyone's strength & compensate them accordingly.

Positive overall, especially when considered as a place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Credit Analyst III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My managers and coworkers have been incredibly competent and supportive. Also, the company implemented an excellent in-house cash flow and credit training program that has enhanced my skills dramatically. The work is interesting and demanding, making it an ideal place to gain experience as a credit underwriter.

Cons

Pay is on the low end of the scale, and pay increases are incremental at best - they do not keep up with inflation. Prospects for advancement in my department are very limited. Health insurance is ok but not great.

Examine compensation standards - the bank generally experiences high turnover, because it cannot match offers from other employers. By not increasing pay, the bank sends the message that it does not care enough to adjust salaries upward in order to retain qualified employees.

Worked for 4 yrs

Former Employee - In-Store Senior Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - In-Store Senior Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Great products to offer the customers. Bank is very competitive. great management and outstanding recognition to employees. Star of excellence and annual star of excellence was oke of the highlighted events in my life.

Cons

Worst pay in the banking industry. Very slow dimes and nickles pay increase. bad hours in instore branches

To keep hard working bankers and managers i think the management really should increase the pay.

Great company with many opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is always a way to move up if you are dedicated.

Cons

The compensation could be better. The pay is slightly less than other banks, however they do not have as much sales pressure.

Promote from within based on skill and knowledge, not just from time at the company.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Large company. Many different opportunities to grow from within. Good communication within the company. Very consumer friendly, and offers something for everyone. Employees are great and work together.

Cons

New training program makes it difficult to complete while in the office, unlike other banks that send bankers to training at a facility.

Worst Health Insurance I've Ever Had - Employees Generally Under-Appreciated

Current Employee - Loan Processor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company values are sound, and it's nice working for a company who isn't entirely focused on gouging their customers for every dollar they can get. Depending on which department you work, I believe U.S. Bank gives a fair shot at maintaining a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Compensation is lower than other banks (annual raises average about 1% - seriously), and the "benefits" are a joke. Seriously, if you can get a job at Citi Bank or Wells Fargo - do it.

God forbid I have to ever get an x-ray or something, because I'd go bankrupt. My own manager told me his medical bills are already $7K in - and it's only September. Another supervisor had to go to the E.R. one day where they did a MRI - she came back with a $3K medical bill.

I chose the best health insurance policy they offered and I'm literally paying $300 per month in premiums, yetI can't even go to the doctor for a routine wellness check and blood test without getting billed for $80 (they only covered cholesterol and blood sugar testing; who cares about early detection?). I'm literally scared. The co-payment just to get inside the E.R. to see a doctor is $150 - isn't that the same as if you don't have health insurance? I never had a co-payment higher than $50 for the E.R. I've never had to pay a dollar more than $20 for any of my doctor's visits - regardless of the type.

Every time I go to the doctor, I'm advised of all the things that are NOT covered by my health insurance. Did I mention this was the best plan they offered? I live in fear that me or my family will get sick or injured, because I'll have to file bankruptcy. Considering how little they pay me, the least U.S. Bank could do is offer a decent health insurance plan.

Realize your future is your employees and invest wisely. Read the university studies - happy employees are more productive, and so are healthy employees so give us some better and more affordable insurance choices.

And by the way, the "employee survey" was a pathetic show. I haven't heard an action plan yet and it's obvious nobody really cares what we said. Why don't you stop pretending to care about your employees? It's really offensive you think we're that blind that we can't tell you think of us as little more than cattle.

Growth in a career

Former Employee - Universal Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am a universal banker at US Bank in San Diego CA, with this company its kind of a hit or miss if you want to build a career and grow within the company. In other states and other counties I have herd great stories about the opportunity for growth and how employees have build a wonderful career with the company. San Diego is still kind of a new market for the company so if you are lucky you can end up with the right district manager actually grow quickly.

Cons

Because San Diego is a new market you are not valued the way you should with the company, San Diego is one of the most expensive places to live and they under pay hourly telling you that you can make it up in commission, but the commission structure is like a slap in the face and goes by a point system vs product sold. Also you may be one of the unlucky ones to end up in southern San Diego district where the distric manager really does not know what she is doing and does not value you as a person, she also likes to take credit for any success you do have, for the past two years I have tried to get a promotion and have not had success, I always exceed my goals, i participate and volunteer in district trainings, conversations and have even lead many of them. instead I have seen managers be demoted to bankers (yes, this is real), people that I trained have got positions I have worked hard for (and the district manager's reson is because they stand out more, and no her perfomance is not better than mine, we are always among the top bankers), over all the company is good but the people the bank hires as your leaders makes a difference in your future, this distric manager in particular is already retired from union bank, she is now working again and dont think she will be here long, she cares only about numbers even if its not entirely ethical, I imagine this is because she wants a fat bonus and re-retire with a great pay, every one else ( like me ) doesnt matter to her.

Branch managers are doing great, district manager: your methods are old school, i respect that but please let the young teach you how it should be done in the modern world.

Love the people I work with.

Current Employee - Small Business Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Small Business Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love my job and the people I work with!

Cons

The systems we use are outdated.

Give us the tools we need to do our job!

PB 2

Current Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bank part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

System is a little outdated but nonetheless, very professional and adequate.

U.S. Bank Photos