U.S. Cellular

Kenneth R. Meyers

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Things are getting scary

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

ProsPay, benefits, flexibility in work arrangements, and people. The pros are so good they almost balance out the very negative cons (but not quite).

ConsExecutive leadership is not on the same page and functional organizations won't collaborate with one another. Diversity and inclusion is a box our senior leaders check off versus a way of doing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive accountability with executive leaders to collaborate with one another

Good company but the future is bleak.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLeadership truly cares about the associates. There are a lot of opportunities for recognition and appreciation. The associates really believe in the company and are prepared to work hard for success.

ConsThe competitive nature of the telecommunications industry has made US Cellular fighting to stay alive. There is a lot of uncertainty about the future of the company. There are layoffs and "right-sizing" happening in a lot of areas of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really underestimated the impact of the iPhone. Learn from that mistake. You owe it to your customers and employees to keep competitive.

U.S. Cellular was not for me...

Brand (Current Employee)

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work/life balance, competitive pay, strong operational acumen in rolling out new program

ConsCulture is based on politics, leadership is afraid to make changes that need to be made, an incredible amount of "Yes men", the "Dynamic Organization" is good in theory but in practice it like a cult of thoughtless followers who know it is really a joke - there is nothing behind the curtain like the wizard of OZ

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't as smart as you think you are

Watch Out For Yourself

Communications Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany have posted on this site about the "cult like" atmosphere of U.S. Cellular. Although the values and behaviors of the company's business model are to be commended, don't be fooled... these same behaviors are more often used to reprimand rather than reward. Under the guise of "feedback" co-workers are encouraged to "tattle" on each other, and managers often request information on individuals from other teammates, leading to distrust and discontent among the team. Being a normal person, you welcome such constructive information, as you want to be a better employee, right?

ConsDon't misunderstand... casual and private conversations between associates and inter departmental teams, that most individuals would see as a healthy sharing of concerns/opinions over company goals and objectives, are relayed by one's own trusted teammates (and so-called friends) to middle management, again under the guise of eliminating team dissent. In reality, this is simply the procurement of "slanderous backstabbing" by one individual over another - for whatever reason, by doing so individuals hope to advance themselves in the eyes of upper management. However, since typically only two people are engaged in a conversation at any given time, the relaying of information is truly hearsay. Nonetheless, this "excuse" is still often used as a reason for dismissal from the organization, labeling an associate as "un dynamic".

If you want to work here, keep your guard up, be prepared to trust no one, and plan to keep to yourself. Say and agree with management's company politics and ideas and limit your "concerns" on any given initiative. Smile, nod and agree, and you will be left alone... but prepare to be lonely.

As a regional player in the wireless industry, an industry that is quickly absorbing most smaller carriers (even those that are still much larger than USC),sadly the ability to effectively compete is becoming slim. Coupled with extreme billing system issues, long customer wait and hold times, and a generally unhappy legacy customer base adds to their challenges ahead. The consolidation of network spectrum and devices over the next several years, will make it even more difficult for U.S. Cellular to stand alone for much longer, at least in its current state. The carrier must differentiate itself, and quit trying to mimic the larger national carriers on price, national network and reliable voice/data roaming - none of which it has.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself different to truly compete, or get out.

A place where aspirations ran into competition and reality

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 8 years

ProsKinda like the little engine that could, U.S.Cellular tried to differentiate itself with superior customer service, a superior network (where it had coverage) and an inclusive company culture. That gave it a David-vs-Goliath feel, its goals were noble and it enjoyed some of the lowest customer churn in the industry.

ConsReality from the bigger players caught up with U.S.Cellular. They were able to move faster, had more extensive networks and budgets and were able to lead the evolution of the industry to a point where great customer service just wasn't enough and the company had to follow their lead, losing their uniqueness in the process. And if a smaller player like U.S.Cellular cannot stand out, it starts to lose. Hopefully, the company can remain a profitable regional player in the markets it serves.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit continually following the big players on every move and re-establish an unique identity for the company.

Memorable Experience to last a lifetime

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWonderful vision and mission statements that are emphasized and at the heart of all performance reviews. The company spends a great deal of time and money teaching behaviors and directing how to think corporately in alignment with what they want associates to see, believe and understand in order to have one voice to customers. Good benefits. They aim to hire people who are value based and have integrity.

ConsAs much as they want to be diverse and inclusive, their assessment of talent is often biased or short-sighted. They promote from within for a lot of roles; some individuals jump through major hoops while others sail on through with no problem (unrelated to ability). Inconsistency, relying on behavioral assessment of associates from others second and third hand information and trying to over correct issues instead of preventing them are the three largest problems observed. An example of this is in launching several new initiatives which impacted the company greatly this year. Although they did their best, they did not have the talent to support and make the decisions necessary to fully understand what was needed for multiple endeavors. The people put in tremendous hours and sacrificed a lot but the talent and ability to have foresight to make some of the decisions or understand the product being purchased was just not there. Often major project leads were associates who had been promoted from the customer service or sales front line; they do not all posses the knowledge for the decisions needed to be made. This was evident to the former CEO who initiated a mass restructure. This was a good place to start; however, this also removed a great number of individual talent that were qualified while also eliminating those that were not. In short, they over correct and swing the pendulum too far left and right and end up swerving their leadership and decisions all over the proverbial road.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet more specific guidelines for middle managers. Inspect their performance with less bias and expect them to be aligned with one another as a manager team. Completely abolish the "let's agree to disagree" and establish some accountability. Hire Senior Managers who have time to mentor, train, coach and inspect the weak points where managers are inconsistent and biased.

During my employment with U.S. Cellular, the company truly values us as associates.

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWe worked well together as teams and we take accountability seriously.
We care about our customers.
The culture and values of U.S. Cellular puts us on the map.

ConsMoving up the ladder was a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood senior management team during my term-2003-2010- appreciate what they did for us.

Looked good initially but once on the inside...look out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility, casual atmosphere, telecommuting was acceptable depending on Manager.

ConsConstant turnover, very little mobility, poor work life balance, lack of leadership, lack of trust between dept...change is acceptable but chaos is not

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good management, take care of the employee.

Mostly positive experience, but management needs to realize and use the talents of the associates.

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery pleasant work environment
Flexible work schedules

ConsNo chance for advancement especially if you are a minority

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that in today's world you need to really tap into all of the talents of your associates, especially leadership skills. Promotions should not go solely to those with seniority or those that are friends of the hiring managers. This is part of the reason that the company's financials have been bad for quite a while.

Great Place to Work.

Operations Control Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCulture, Openness, Diverse, Empowerment, Servant Leadership, Personal Development

ConsI have nothing to add at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementFaster to market with new devices

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!

U.S. Cellular Videos

U.S. Cellular – Why Work for Us?

With over five million customers in 26 states, U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless service carriers in the nation. We owe every bit of success to our associates—people with a real passion for their work who are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Cellular reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U.S. Cellular CEO Kenneth R. Meyers. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Cellular employees.