U.S. Cellular
www.uscellular.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

U.S. Cellular Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros:
  • "It also depends on your own manager if there is any sort of understanding for a work/life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Employees have great benefits even if you are part time"
    in 60 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is difficult in retail stores, especially with somewhat high turnover"
    in 33 reviews
  • "And senior management never took the word of the customer service reps on how they were being treated by their coachs"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company but the future is bleak.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLeadership truly cares about the associates. There are a lot of opportunities for recognition and appreciation. The associates really believe in the company and are prepared to work hard for success.

ConsThe competitive nature of the telecommunications industry has made US Cellular fighting to stay alive. There is a lot of uncertainty about the future of the company. There are layoffs and "right-sizing" happening in a lot of areas of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really underestimated the impact of the iPhone. Learn from that mistake. You owe it to your customers and employees to keep competitive.

Former Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company truly cares about their culture and wants to keep things running smoothly. Great training. Good entry level sales can make better money than most company's management, and pretty easily.

ConsUsed to be innovative, now seems to just follow what the bigger companies are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up. You treat your people great, but don't sell yourselves short on what you can do.

U.S. Cellular was not for me...

Brand (Current Employee)

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work/life balance, competitive pay, strong operational acumen in rolling out new program

ConsCulture is based on politics, leadership is afraid to make changes that need to be made, an incredible amount of "Yes men", the "Dynamic Organization" is good in theory but in practice it like a cult of thoughtless followers who know it is really a joke - there is nothing behind the curtain like the wizard of OZ

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't as smart as you think you are

!

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Prosnice to work , employee friendly

Consnothing as such to comment on because i havent worked here , its a client

It was the best job I have ever had!!

NFE (Former Employee)
Roanoke, VA

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was the best job I have ever had for the most part. The leader was good but they were a little soft on bad behavior. It had to do with his outlook on life and this was what him a good leader. But sometime some people need a good talking to when they are very disrespectful to other associates. The company had the best culture I have ever seen or been a part of. THANKS FOR THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE TODATE. I can only hope to find a job with this company again.

ConsAs with most company Leader now days they put their pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsizing too much will have a negative effect on the company. When the company put the associates first then they will work harder to make this the best company. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!

Good company to work for.

Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of easy commission as long as you are an aggressive seller.

ConsCrazy hours. Employees would get schedule to work seven days in a row then get one day off then be scheduled to work another five days before another day off. Blocked holidays so no vacations from Thanksgiving until after New Year.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to schedule your employees.

Watch Out For Yourself

Communications Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany have posted on this site about the "cult like" atmosphere of U.S. Cellular. Although the values and behaviors of the company's business model are to be commended, don't be fooled... these same behaviors are more often used to reprimand rather than reward. Under the guise of "feedback" co-workers are encouraged to "tattle" on each other, and managers often request information on individuals from other teammates, leading to distrust and discontent among the team. Being a normal person, you welcome such constructive information, as you want to be a better employee, right?

ConsDon't misunderstand... casual and private conversations between associates and inter departmental teams, that most individuals would see as a healthy sharing of concerns/opinions over company goals and objectives, are relayed by one's own trusted teammates (and so-called friends) to middle management, again under the guise of eliminating team dissent. In reality, this is simply the procurement of "slanderous backstabbing" by one individual over another - for whatever reason, by doing so individuals hope to advance themselves in the eyes of upper management. However, since typically only two people are engaged in a conversation at any given time, the relaying of information is truly hearsay. Nonetheless, this "excuse" is still often used as a reason for dismissal from the organization, labeling an associate as "un dynamic".

If you want to work here, keep your guard up, be prepared to trust no one, and plan to keep to yourself. Say and agree with management's company politics and ideas and limit your "concerns" on any given initiative. Smile, nod and agree, and you will be left alone... but prepare to be lonely.

As a regional player in the wireless industry, an industry that is quickly absorbing most smaller carriers (even those that are still much larger than USC),sadly the ability to effectively compete is becoming slim. Coupled with extreme billing system issues, long customer wait and hold times, and a generally unhappy legacy customer base adds to their challenges ahead. The consolidation of network spectrum and devices over the next several years, will make it even more difficult for U.S. Cellular to stand alone for much longer, at least in its current state. The carrier must differentiate itself, and quit trying to mimic the larger national carriers on price, national network and reliable voice/data roaming - none of which it has.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself different to truly compete, or get out.

Was a great company

Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee)
Peoria, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time

ProsGreat Teammates, pay and benifits

ConsNew computer system is horrible, losing customers not able to provide that ideal customer experience.

U.S. Cellular is a good company to work.

Business Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Management teams, great culture

ConsPoor work / life balance, typically not enough employees to do the necessary work even in business offices.

A place where aspirations ran into competition and reality

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 8 years

ProsKinda like the little engine that could, U.S.Cellular tried to differentiate itself with superior customer service, a superior network (where it had coverage) and an inclusive company culture. That gave it a David-vs-Goliath feel, its goals were noble and it enjoyed some of the lowest customer churn in the industry.

ConsReality from the bigger players caught up with U.S.Cellular. They were able to move faster, had more extensive networks and budgets and were able to lead the evolution of the industry to a point where great customer service just wasn't enough and the company had to follow their lead, losing their uniqueness in the process. And if a smaller player like U.S.Cellular cannot stand out, it starts to lose. Hopefully, the company can remain a profitable regional player in the markets it serves.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit continually following the big players on every move and re-establish an unique identity for the company.

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!

U.S. Cellular Videos

U.S. Cellular – Why Work for Us?

With over five million customers in 26 states, U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless service carriers in the nation. We owe every bit of success to our associates—people with a real passion for their work who are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Cellular reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U.S. Cellular CEO Kenneth R. Meyers. All 465 reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Cellular employees.