U.S. Cellular Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • A fair work/life balance if you are on the right team (in 48 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • A horrible work/life balance depending on the team (in 50 reviews)

• With the new billing system front line associates got hit hard with angry customers (in 17 reviews)

review

Current Employee - RF Engineer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - RF Engineer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

culture, work environment,salary,benefit, working time

Cons

every work is a new challenge

Advice to Management

its perfect

Retail Wireless Consultant

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Potential to make money if you can land a lot of new lines. (Quotas are constantly being raised though.) - Met a lot of awesome people around the company - Good service in most Midwest states - Company tries to have good values, although they don't always hold to them.

Cons

- Took somewhere between a 10k-20k pay cut when they implemented new pay structures - Company keeps driving up quotas, demanding more out of associates, and finding ways to cut pay - Typical crappy retail work schedule. Full-time never gets any time to themselves outside of work. - Turnover in stores is unreal due to the constant change and bad corporate atmosphere in stores. Most people are either looking for a new job or already found one. - Company prides itself on the "Dynamic Organization" which is good, but I would say it hardly holds true in most stores. - The company does a "Culture Survey" which gives employees the chance to give feedback, but the things that are truly presented as issues they just ignore. (i.e. the computer system which was designed by a bunch of 5th graders)

Advice to Management

- Stop drinking the company Kool-Aid. Every change that gets implemented in stores is not a good change! - Corporate management - Listen to your employees! They are all frustrated and quitting because nobody in the company will stand up for them. Everyone is afraid to speak up about all the REAL issues because they will just get canned.

Was great at first, then everything changed.

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you were in a secluded area that your ASM doesn't get to often, the culture is great. You can have great managers who shield you from what's really going on. The pay is excellent and the benefits are great. They really reward high performers. They have a dynamic organizational model and used to actually believe in it.

Cons

They don't listen to employees when they scream for help. If you're in a hostile environment, HR will tell you that you're making up stories in your head. If you are working too much and getting burnt out, they don't care. Also, they fire people for no reason. I was not fired, but I saw many people go for things that were completely unexplained. "Your work is no longer needed here" is wrongful termination. From everyone you've fired in the Des Moines area, I can't believe you don't have a law suit on your hands. You can't just fire people because they make more than what you could pay some shmuck. They bring in management from T-Mobile that believes in winning and winning alone, even if it requires you to be unethical. USC used to care about it's customers, now they only care about money. Terrible hostility from management and too much pressure to do more than humanly possible.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Everyone deserves to have a voice, and you can't write of harassment and hostile work environment as fictional. DO NOT LET MANAGERS BE BEST BUDS WITH HR. That is a disaster! You need to get back to the DD and truly believe in it. You are letting your best people walk away from you after you give them all the tools and apply themselves at a company that cares about them. You have so much potential that you are wasting away for cheap labor.

terrible

Current Employee - Aasm in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Aasm in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the culture was what attracted me

Cons

the environment is what drove me away

Backstabbing crooks only concerned about the bottom line

Former Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Looking back there is only one pro to working there: The people I worked with "in the trenches" were some of the best people I have ever met.

Cons

NO work/life balance, poor merit increases even though you get an exceeds expectations review. Are more concerned with getting rid of the employees who have been there for awhile and replacing them with part time employees who get lower wages and less benefits

Advice to Management

get a clue, you will end up getting sued for wrongful dismissal eventually if this continues

Always changing, though I feel it's negatively it may just be my pessimism

Current Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, easy job, OT not required, vacation/sick/personal time provided.

Cons

Almost required to participate in sales. Upper management seems too money driven and less employee satisfaction driven

Advice to Management

Remember one of the core selling points of becoming an associate of USCC, WORK/LIFE BALANCE. It's almost non existent and it's only getting worse.

Great learning opportunities & growth as a leader

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Care about customers, our network, company cares about the associates, we do the right things for our customers. Our Benefit package, vacation time, work life balance

Cons

can work a lot of weekends if short staffed but overall, very happy

9. FRONTLINE has so much to deal with. GREAT IDEAS, OVerall great company!

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Great pay, 43,500 last year and great benefits. co pays are nothing. Every doc visit is 10-15 and hospital visits are 100. Management is awesome.

Cons

people lose their jobs over MISTAKEs. lost some great people. US Cellular's loss

Advice to Management

Their has to be a happy median with fire people. Not everyone that gets fired had to be fired. the zero tolerance is hard on us emotional!!!! We can't handle it and it hurts the morale bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed